Gypsies

The Tempted Soul

Jan 17, 1995, 11:37:03 AM1/17/95
In Equal Rites Hilta Goatfounder mentions Gypsies.

In our world Gypsies were named because people thought
they were Egyptians.

Now why, if the Discworld's equivalent of Egypt is Djelibeybi,
are they still called Gypsies and not Jellybabies?

Terry Pratchett

Jan 18, 1995, 7:56:22 AM1/18/95

Okay. Almost every word in the English language has a whole slew of
historic associations. People on the Disc can't possibly speak 'English'
but I have to write in English. *Some* carefully-positioned 'translations'
like 'It's all Klatchian to me' can work, but if I went the whole hog
and 'discworlded' every name and term, then the books would be even more
impenetrable and would probably only be read by people who like learning
Klingon. I do my best -- French fries can't exist on Discworld, for
example -- but I think 'gypsies' is allowable.

Terry Pratchett

Richard Kettlewell

Jan 18, 1995, 1:28:45 PM1/18/95
In article <1...@followed.win-uk.net>,

I think if Pterry is allowed to get away with latin -- albeit
sometimes in advanced states of doggedness -- and french -- albeit
somewhat mutilated by the witches abroad -- then the english word
'gypsies' is quite acceptable.

It would add a certain obscure something, though, if the disc were
roamed by jellybabies... Just imagine the fun a tribe of cannibals
would have trying to eat the heads first...

--
Richard Kettlewell
rjk...@hermes.cam.ac.uk

P J Bleackley

Jan 19, 1995, 6:35:59 AM1/19/95
(Richard Kettlewell) writes:
^K^K^K^K^K

|> It would add a certain obscure something, though, if the disc were
|> roamed by jellybabies... Just imagine the fun a tribe of cannibals
|> would have trying to eat the heads first...
|>
|> --
|> Richard Kettlewell
|> rjk...@hermes.cam.ac.uk
Two cannibals opened restauraunts next door to each other. One complained that
the other was poaching all his customers.
--
~~~PETE "QUANTUM" BLEACKLEY~~~
Good evening everybody, and welcome to Surrealists Hieronymous