Chapters

Terry Pratchett

Jul 30, 1992, 8:40:35 AM7/30/92
to tprat...@cix.compulink.co.uk
DW books don't have chapters because, well, I just never got into the habit
of chapters. I'm not sure why they should exist (except maybe in children's
books, to allow the parent to say 'I'll read to the end of the chapter and
they you must go to sleep.') Films don't have chapters. Besides, I think
they're interfere with the shape of the story. Use a bookmark is my advice.

Terry

Ian Rhys Klinck

Jul 30, 1992, 1:28:29 PM7/30/92

...or read it straight through - that's always my approach.

Ian

The Unniversity of Waterloo gets enough of my money, so It can't have my
opinions!

Michael J. Hennebry

Aug 1, 1992, 3:57:57 PM8/1/92

At least two authors use chapter heading as a place to put pithy
sayings. At least one is rumored to regard this as a mythtake.

--
Mike henn...@plains.NoDak.edu
"This dream is brought to you by Sharassin of Shan. Dreams and

Bernard Steiner

Aug 12, 1992, 11:42:18 AM8/12/92
In article <memo....@cix.compulink.co.uk>, tprat...@cix.compulink.co.uk (Terry Pratchett) writes:
> Use a bookmark is my advice.

Excuse me - but what should I use the bookmark for ?
There's two ways I read a book (note that I've never read "war and peace" ;-) -
a) start at lunch-time and carry on till finished
b) start later in the day, go to sleep at about 2am, putting the book on my
desk and continue (and finish) reading next day same time

Sorry
Bernard

P.S. I'm unwilling to change my signature - it's been like that for quite
some time now. -bs-
--
Bernard Steiner, FB Informatik/IRB, Uni Dortmund, vox +49 231 755 2444
Postfach 500500, D-W-4600 Dortmund 50, Germany fax +49 231 755 2386

*III And they gave it Instructions, but knew it not. } From The Book of Nome,
*IV It is, they said, a Box with a Funny Voice. } Mezzanine v.III-IV