The Fantastic site of Pratchett Fan Tony Sidaway!

Mr. Google

Sep 4, 2002, 5:26:56 AM9/4/02
You can tell a lot of love went into this site; loaded with images of
true Pratchett fans!

http://www.angelfire.com/freak2/sidaway/

Adrian Ogden

Sep 4, 2002, 9:12:23 AM9/4/02
"Mr. Google" <mrgo...@shaddaptony.com> writes:

<snip>

Query: do people here prefer Apple Crumble with cream or custard?

--
<< Adrian Ogden -- "Sic Biscuitus Disintegrat" -- www.rdg.ac.uk/~sssogadr/ >>

"Get thee behind me, thou evil side-order of Lucifer!"

Lady Kayla

Sep 4, 2002, 9:30:27 AM9/4/02
On 4 Sep 2002 13:12:23 GMT, Adrian Ogden <ssso...@reading.ac.uk> wrote:
> "Mr. Google" <mrgo...@shaddaptony.com> writes:
>
><snip>
>
> Query: do people here prefer Apple Crumble with cream or custard?

Well...

if the apple crumble[1] is hot, then it's got to be nice thick custard.
But if it's cold, then chantilly creme[2] or vanilla ice-cream are
absolutely essential.

Lady Kayla

[1] and I don't care what anybody says... if it's got any other fruit
in (including sultanas/raisins) then it's not apple crumble and you
shouldn't try to trick people by calling it that.
[2] heavily whipped cream, with a little bit of sugar and vanilla
essence added - or, at least, that's how I was taught to make it.
--
Lady Kayla http://designs.ladykayla.org/
Usenet is good for many things. Actually and substantially changing

Lena Williams

Sep 4, 2002, 9:35:07 AM9/4/02
On 4 Sep 2002 13:12:23 GMT, Adrian Ogden <ssso...@reading.ac.uk> wrote:

>Query: do people here prefer Apple Crumble with cream or custard?

Oh, it has to be vanilla ice cream.

Mind you, it's preferably rhubarb crumble.

Lena

--
http://www.anejo.nu \\ http://derry.anejo.nu
http://www.livejournal.com/~anejo

Sylvain Chambon

Sep 4, 2002, 9:38:53 AM9/4/02
In article <al50rn$n8u$1...@vins1.reading.ac.uk>, Adrian Ogden wrote:

> Query: do people here prefer Apple Crumble with cream or custard?

Custard. Definitely custard.

Hmm, it's been ages since I had apple crumble. Should try and find a
receipe someday.

Then I'll just have to sort out people to eat it with :-)

Sylvain (wondering how many people will followup with variations on the
"so you're cannibalistic then?" theme...)

Jonathan Ellis

Sep 4, 2002, 9:47:29 AM9/4/02

"Adrian Ogden" <ssso...@reading.ac.uk> wrote in message

> "Mr. Google" <mrgo...@shaddaptony.com> writes:
>
> <snip>
>
> Query: do people here prefer Apple Crumble with cream or custard?

Neither.

Jonathan.

MP

Sep 4, 2002, 9:49:32 AM9/4/02

Adrian Ogden wrote:

> "Mr. Google" <mrgo...@shaddaptony.com> writes:
>
> <snip>
>
> Query: do people here prefer Apple Crumble with cream or custard?

Custard. It helps keep the crumble warmer for a while, whilst with cream
the whole lot cools whilst being eaten until it's lukewarm and
horrible... Ice-cream is good though, as the temperature difference is a
nice touch...

Incidentally, I first read that as custard creams, which I don't think
would go very well with apple crumble...

MP
--
"If that line isn't sigged, I'd be surprised."
- MEG, AFP

jester

Sep 4, 2002, 9:35:55 AM9/4/02
<ssso...@reading.ac.uk> wrote:
> "Mr. Google" <mrgo...@shaddaptony.com> writes:
>
><snip>
>
> Query: do people here prefer Apple Crumble with cream or custard?

yes.

--
Andy Brown

Daibhid Chiennedelh

Sep 4, 2002, 10:25:53 AM9/4/02

>From: MP mpj...@bleurgh.net
>Date: 04/09/02 14:49 GMT Daylight Time
>

>Adrian Ogden wrote:
>>
>> "Mr. Google" <mrgo...@shaddaptony.com> writes:
>>
>> <snip>
>>
>> Query: do people here prefer Apple Crumble with cream or custard?
>
>Custard. It helps keep the crumble warmer for a while, whilst with cream
>the whole lot cools whilst being eaten until it's lukewarm and
>horrible... Ice-cream is good though, as the temperature difference is a
>nice touch...
>
>Incidentally, I first read that as custard creams, which I don't think
>would go very well with apple crumble...

I think they might...

Does anyone else remember Rory Bremner's first Tony Blair impression? AFAICR it
went something like:

"I believe passionately in apple crumble. But not if it's too hot. Not if the
custard has lumps in it. And if you do not like apple crumble you do not have
to eat it and I, for one, will not force you to!"

My mum said it was just about perfect, except it had too much meaning.
--
Dave
EU SF&FSoc http://www.eusa.ed.ac.uk/societies/sesoc

Brian Howlett

Sep 4, 2002, 12:40:36 PM9/4/02
On 4 Sep, ssso...@reading.ac.uk (Adrian Ogden) wrote:

> "Mr. Google" <mrgo...@shaddaptony.com> writes:
>
> <snip>
>
> Query: do people here prefer Apple Crumble with cream or custard?

Both.
--
Brian Howlett
Mobile phones - the only topic of discussion

MEG

Sep 4, 2002, 1:09:16 PM9/4/02
"Adrian Ogden" <ssso...@reading.ac.uk> wrote in message
> "Mr. Google" <mrgo...@shaddaptony.com> writes:
>
> <snip>
>
> Query: do people here prefer Apple Crumble with cream or custard?

Definitely custard as I'm not that keen on cream at the best of times. But I'd
also prefer rhubarb crumble to apple. With lashings of hot custard.

- MEG

Cathy Young

Sep 4, 2002, 2:11:57 PM9/4/02
Lady Kayla <lady...@suespammers.org> wrote in message news:<slrnanc2nj.1...@bunnywub.megabitch.org.uk>...

> On 4 Sep 2002 13:12:23 GMT, Adrian Ogden <ssso...@reading.ac.uk> wrote:
> >
> > Query: do people here prefer Apple Crumble with cream or custard?
> >

> Well...
>
> if the apple crumble[1] is hot, then it's got to be nice thick custard.
> But if it's cold, then chantilly creme[2] or vanilla ice-cream are
> absolutely essential.

Agreed! I can't understand why some people insist on having ice-cream
with hot desserts - surely it melts and makes your dessert all soggy?
Well, it would if I tried it, anyway, seeing as I'm quite a slow
eater.

Cathy

gra...@affordable-leather.co.ukdeletethis

Sep 4, 2002, 3:02:23 PM9/4/02
Hi there,

And for a picture of Mr Google, please see the following address...

http://freespace.virgin.net/graham.marsden1/Mr_Google.jpg

Cheers,
Graham.

elfin

Sep 4, 2002, 3:06:10 PM9/4/02
MEG typed:

> "Adrian Ogden" wrote in message

>> "Mr. Google" writes:
>>
>> <snip>
>>
>> Query: do people here prefer Apple Crumble with cream or custard?
>
> Definitely custard as I'm not that keen on cream at the best of
> times. But I'd also prefer rhubarb crumble to apple. With lashings of
> hot custard.

Well I agree about the Rhubarb crumbble, but why spoil it with custard
or cream?

elfin
--
http://www.elfden.co.uk/

Sherilyn

Sep 4, 2002, 3:56:58 PM9/4/02
"MEG" <MEG...@lineone.net> writes:

<rant type="afp" qualification="imo">

The only proper way to consume 'custard' is to eschew it. Cornflour and
milk with sugar and yellow dye[1], yuck. Cream is just feasible, I
think, but to take anything with apple crumble except _more_ apple
crumble is, I fear, rather missing the point.

[1] If anyone has had real egg custard with apple crumble, that sounds
fine, I just have an aversion to this runny abomination normally called
'custard', and I've never even _seen_ an egg custard that wasn't
served in a pastry on its own, delicious as it that was.

</rant>

[...]

--
Sherilyn http://www.greedycorporate.com/minority-report/
Sherilyn has nothing against anonymous remailers, but does not use them.

Arwen Lune

Sep 4, 2002, 4:00:52 PM9/4/02
Via mysterious ways, a message from Adrian Ogden reached me on 4
Sep 2002 13:12:23 GMT. This is what it read:

> Query: do people here prefer Apple Crumble with cream or
> custard?

Now the UK has many fine things to offer: I would name proper tea,
Monty Python, horseradish sauce, chocolate oranges, Impulse 'Musk'
deo, Deep Heat, cider, a certain OFiaH, and many of my friends (not
to mention my BF)

However, custard is not one of those.

Custard is, in fact, possibly one of the more (most?) vile things
the UK has to offer. It ranks right up there with sausages for
breakfast and vinegar on chips. (or worse, 'onion juice'. Ick.)

To paraphrase, I prefer mine with (sweetened whipped) cream, thank
you.

Cheers,
Arwen Lune

--
"Bother," said Pooh. "Actually, I'm a biochemical
superfreak, but I still need a gun!"

Alec Cawley

Sep 4, 2002, 3:40:05 PM9/4/02
Adrian Ogden wrote:

> "Mr. Google" <mrgo...@shaddaptony.com> writes:
>
> <snip>
>
> Query: do people here prefer Apple Crumble with cream or custard?

To contradict most of the other posters: Cream.

But custard with rhubarb crumble.

And never, ever, ice cream.

--
@lec Šawley

Alec Cawley

Sep 4, 2002, 3:41:22 PM9/4/02
Lady Kayla wrote:

> chantilly creme[2]

> [2] heavily whipped cream, with a little bit of sugar and vanilla
> essence added - or, at least, that's how I was taught to make it.

Try a very small drop of Cointreau - lifts it onto another plane.

--
@lec Šawley

chucker

Sep 4, 2002, 4:40:02 PM9/4/02

"Lena Williams" <le...@anejo.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in message

> On 4 Sep 2002 13:12:23 GMT, Adrian Ogden <ssso...@reading.ac.uk> wrote:
>
> Mind you, it's preferably rhubarb crumble.

Or as Dr Spooner would say, Rhumbub Cruble.

Jennifer en Reinier Sjouw

Sep 4, 2002, 4:02:24 PM9/4/02

elfin <el...@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
Why bother with the crumble?
Just (hot) rhubarb compote with hot custard for me please!

ttfn

Reinier

CCA

Sep 4, 2002, 5:24:52 PM9/4/02
Adrian Ogden (>ssso...@reading.ac.uk) wrote

>Query: do people here prefer Apple Crumble with cream or custard?

Cream, definitely. I hate custard on anything.
As to whether apple or rhubarb crumble is best, I like both. Preferably a
little bit of each in the same dish, and with a nice big serving of cream. But
not whipped cream, no, that melts far too quickly and is better with
strawberries.
And apricot crumble ... haven't eaten it for a while, but definitely up there
with the other two.
CCA:) , who takes her deserts very seriously.

Dom

Sep 4, 2002, 5:30:48 PM9/4/02
chucker sed:
Or possibly, Crubarb Rhumble.
--
Dom.
"There is no Spooner"

elfin

Sep 4, 2002, 5:14:01 PM9/4/02
Reinier Sjouw typed:

> elfin wrote :

>> Well I agree about the Rhubarb crumbble, but why spoil it with
>> custard or cream?
>>
> Why bother with the crumble?
> Just (hot) rhubarb compote with hot custard for me please!

ahh but I don't like custard, and I'm slightly allergic to cream ...

I do prefer rhubarb in crumble, though rhubarb pie comes a close second.

:-)

elfin
--
http://www.elfden.co.uk/

Ssirienna

Sep 4, 2002, 5:36:00 PM9/4/02

"elfin" <el...@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message

Nah!

Plum crumble ...... with a thick dollop of clotted (or extra thick double)
cream AND some single.

fx: SPROING!

Ah! that'll be the waistband then :-)

Ssirienna
(lusting after plum crumble (sigh))

Brian Howlett

Sep 4, 2002, 6:04:56 PM9/4/02
On 4 Sep, Arwen Lune <ar...@meanandevil.co.uk> wrote:

[snip]
> I would name proper tea
[snip]

Not allowed. Proper tea is theft...
--
Brian Howlett
The cat crept in to the crypt, crapped, and crept out again...

Sherilyn

Sep 4, 2002, 6:33:31 PM9/4/02
Brian Howlett <Brian_...@btinternet.com> writes:

> On 4 Sep, Arwen Lune <ar...@meanandevil.co.uk> wrote:
>
> [snip]
> > I would name proper tea
> [snip]
> >
> Not allowed. Proper tea is theft...

But as Herr Engels told Karl when he was bequeathed a load of old
musical instruments stored in a water closet:

The violins are inherited in the cistern!

Seven-A of Nine

Sep 4, 2002, 7:35:18 PM9/4/02
On 4 Sep 2002 13:12:23 GMT, ssso...@reading.ac.uk (Adrian Ogden)
wrote:

>"Mr. Google" <mrgo...@shaddaptony.com> writes:
>
><snip>
>
>Query: do people here prefer Apple Crumble with cream or custard?

Neither.

With lemon juice over unsweetened apples - yum ! Bit of a
face-twister though :o#

David Simpson

Sep 4, 2002, 11:35:04 PM9/4/02
On 4 Sep 2002 13:12:23 GMT, ssso...@reading.ac.uk (Adrian Ogden)
typed furiously:

>"Mr. Google" <mrgo...@shaddaptony.com> writes:
>
><snip>
>
>Query: do people here prefer Apple Crumble with cream or custard?

Yes.

--
David
Remove "farook" to reply

Paul Arthur

Sep 4, 2002, 11:35:00 PM9/4/02
On or around 04 Sep 2002 20:56:58 +0100, Sherilyn

<sher...@suespammers.org> mumbled coherently and said:

><rant type="afp" qualification="imo">
>
>The only proper way to consume 'custard' is to eschew it. Cornflour and
>milk with sugar and yellow dye[1], yuck. Cream is just feasible, I
>think, but to take anything with apple crumble except _more_ apple
>crumble is, I fear, rather missing the point.
>
>[1] If anyone has had real egg custard with apple crumble, that sounds
>fine, I just have an aversion to this runny abomination normally called
>'custard', and I've never even _seen_ an egg custard that wasn't
>served in a pastry on its own, delicious as it that was.
>
></rant>

Real custard wiuld definitely be preferable. However, the homogenous
yellow paste has a passable taste as far as most members of my family
are concerned.
Me, I would take hot rhubarb crumble with real custard and
<em>real</em> whipped cream. Very tasty.

Paul Arthur MacIain

Visit http://www.fireflycafe.org/
Also visit http://flowerysong.netfirms.com/

E-mail and reply-to are valid, but seldom checked.
Use ezekielph at qix.net instead.

April Goodwin-Smith

Sep 4, 2002, 11:54:52 PM9/4/02
Adrian Ogden wrote:

> "Mr. Google" <mrgo...@shaddaptony.com> writes:
>
> <snip>
>
> Query: do people here prefer Apple Crumble with
> cream or custard?

Absolutely nekkid.

Same with regards to Bumble Berry Crumble. And Peach Crumble.
Yea, verily, and with Rhubarb-Strawberry Crumble. And, also,
the One True Blueberry Crumble.

April, aka Sticky-Lips.
--
"Things that try to look like things often do look more
like things than things. Well known fact."

Suzi

Sep 5, 2002, 2:24:31 AM9/5/02
In article <al50rn$n8u$1...@vins1.reading.ac.uk> in alt.fan.pratchett,
Adrian Ogden <ssso...@reading.ac.uk> wibbled...

> "Mr. Google" <mrgo...@shaddaptony.com> writes:
>
> <snip>
>
> Query: do people here prefer Apple Crumble with cream or custard?

Either ice cream or custard.

Suzi

Andy Davison

Sep 5, 2002, 6:17:07 AM9/5/02
On Wed, 4 Sep 2002 22:14:01 +0100, in message
<al5uap$ve6$1...@library.lspace.org>, "elfin" <el...@blueyonder.co.uk>
wrote:

>I do prefer rhubarb in crumble, though rhubarb pie comes a close second.

But rhubabrb is for making wine out of :)
I made a rather good rhubarb wine the other year, bone dry[1] with a
hint of rhubarb aroma and taste.

[1] Well, i made 4 gallons in a bucket and then transferred to 1
gallon demijohns. 1 gallon came out bone dry, the other three were
sweet (yuck!) so I gave most of that away though I still have a gallon
I haven't bottled in the vain hope it would dry out.
--
Andy Davison
an...@oiyou.force9.co.uk

elfin

Sep 5, 2002, 6:22:08 AM9/5/02
April Goodwin-Smith typed:

> Adrian Ogden wrote:

>> "Mr. Google" writes:
>>
>> <snip>
>>
>> Query: do people here prefer Apple Crumble with
>> cream or custard?
>>

> Absolutely nekkid.

You like to eat it naked?

elfin
--
http://www.elfden.co.uk/

Jen Birren

Sep 5, 2002, 6:38:26 AM9/5/02

Andy Davison wrote:
> I made a rather good rhubarb wine the other year, bone dry[1] with a
> hint of rhubarb aroma and taste.
>
> [1] Well, i made 4 gallons in a bucket and then transferred to 1
> gallon demijohns. 1 gallon came out bone dry, the other three were
> sweet (yuck!) so I gave most of that away though I still have a gallon
> I haven't bottled in the vain hope it would dry out.

Make syllabub with it [1] and serve it with the crumble...
Jen

[1] http://www.netcooks.com/recipes/Desserts/Everlasting.Syllabub.html -
it can be made with whatever alcohol you like, though I suspect a beer
syllabub wouldn't be that nice.
--
Book Collecting - "The One Who Dies With The Most Books Wins"
(Pat McMurray in _Obsessions #3_)

Tim

Sep 5, 2002, 10:48:33 AM9/5/02
flower...@hotmail.com (Paul Arthur) wrote in message news:<3d76af40...@News.CIS.DFN.DE>...

> On or around 04 Sep 2002 20:56:58 +0100, Sherilyn
> <sher...@suespammers.org> mumbled coherently and said:
>
> ><rant type="afp" qualification="imo">
> >
> >The only proper way to consume 'custard' is to eschew it. Cornflour and
> >milk with sugar and yellow dye[1], yuck. Cream is just feasible, I
> >think, but to take anything with apple crumble except _more_ apple
> >crumble is, I fear, rather missing the point.
> >
> >[1] If anyone has had real egg custard with apple crumble, that sounds
> >fine, I just have an aversion to this runny abomination normally called
> >'custard', and I've never even _seen_ an egg custard that wasn't
> >served in a pastry on its own, delicious as it that was.
> >
> ></rant>
>
> Real custard wiuld definitely be preferable. However, the homogenous
> yellow paste has a passable taste as far as most members of my family
> are concerned.
> Me, I would take hot rhubarb crumble with real custard and
> <em>real</em> whipped cream. Very tasty.

I would have to go for Apple and Blackberry Crumble unadultarated by
custard or creame but perhapse with a teaspoon of sugar sprinkled
lightly over the top.

Kevin Golding

Sep 5, 2002, 11:01:42 AM9/5/02
elfin <el...@blueyonder.co.uk> once did write....

>April Goodwin-Smith typed:
>
>> Adrian Ogden wrote:
>>>
>>> "Mr. Google" writes:
>>>
>>> <snip>
>>>
>>> Query: do people here prefer Apple Crumble with
>>> cream or custard?
>>>

>> Absolutely nekkid.
>
>You like to eat it naked?

Well is saves on staining clothes if you drop any in an over
enthusiastic mouthful.

Now of course the real questions should be whether or not apple's should
ever be joined by other fruits whilst crumbled? I'm the odd one out in
my family because I prefer plain apple whereas everyone else likes
raisins added. I need some support here folks.

Caomhin,
who's actually the odd one out for more reasons than that but it's
probably best not to dwell on the small details.

Jonathan Ellis

Sep 5, 2002, 1:48:26 PM9/5/02

"Kevin Golding" <ke...@caomhin.demon.co.uk> wrote in message

> elfin <el...@blueyonder.co.uk> once did write....
> >April Goodwin-Smith typed:

> >> Absolutely nekkid.
> >
> >You like to eat it naked?
>
> Well is saves on staining clothes if you drop any in an over
> enthusiastic mouthful.
>
> Now of course the real questions should be whether or not apple's
should
> ever be joined by other fruits whilst crumbled? I'm the odd one out
in
> my family because I prefer plain apple whereas everyone else likes
> raisins added. I need some support here folks.

Apple crumble can have cinnamon in. Raisins is just overkill. ;-)

Jonathan.

Stevie D

Sep 5, 2002, 2:58:59 PM9/5/02
Sherilyn wrote:

> The only proper way to consume 'custard' is to eschew it.

Or with school-dinner custard, you just have to chew it :-)

--
Stevie D
\\\\\ ///// Bringing dating agencies to the

Alec Cawley

Sep 5, 2002, 1:40:04 PM9/5/02
Kevin Golding wrote:

> Now of course the real questions should be whether or not apple's should
> ever be joined by other fruits whilst crumbled? I'm the odd one out in
> my family because I prefer plain apple whereas everyone else likes
> raisins added. I need some support here folks.

Definitely plain apple - raisins are a distraction. Well, a pinch of
cinnamon, but no other fruit. And a proper crumble, to make the right
contrast.

--
@lec Šawley

gra...@affordable-leather.co.ukdeletethis

Sep 5, 2002, 4:49:18 PM9/5/02
Hi there,

On Wed, 04 Sep 2002 21:30:48 GMT, dom...@blueyonder.co.uk (Dom )
wrote:

>>Or as Dr Spooner would say, Rhumbub Cruble.
>
>Or possibly, Crubarb Rhumble.

This reminds me of the girl from Bristol [1] who, when asked if she
could dance, replied "I can rumble, but I can't tangle" [2]

Cheers,
Graham.

[1] The original one, for any Merkins reading!

[2] The Bristol accent means that Bristolians tend to add an "L" sound
to any trailing vowel.

Sherilyn

Sep 5, 2002, 4:48:27 PM9/5/02
Stevie D <stevieiny...@yahoo.co.uk> writes:

> Sherilyn wrote:
>
> > The only proper way to consume 'custard' is to eschew it.
>
> Or with school-dinner custard, you just have to chew it :-)

Eschewing is pretty much the same thing except for the 'essssss' sound
escaping from between the unfortunate's lips as, out of sight of the
watchful warders, she deposits the vile, slimy stuff into the lining
of her jacket pocket, to be carefully washed out when she's excused to
go to the school toilet.

Well that's the way we used to do it at Saint Trinians...

[...]

Andy Davison

Sep 5, 2002, 10:05:20 PM9/5/02
On Thu, 05 Sep 2002 11:38:26 +0100, in message
<3D773422...@hotmail.com>, Jen Birren <jana...@hotmail.com>
wrote:

>Make syllabub with it [1] and serve it with the crumble...

Actually, I discovered friends who like sweet white wine. I gave
rather a lot to the undertaker (perhaps she was pickling the bodies)
--
Andy Davison
an...@oiyou.force9.co.uk

April Goodwin-Smith

Sep 6, 2002, 12:17:22 AM9/6/02
elfin wrote:
> April Goodwin-Smith typed:
> > Adrian Ogden wrote:
> >> "Mr. Google" writes:
> >> <snip>
> >> Query: do people here prefer Apple Crumble with
> >> cream or custard?
> > Absolutely nekkid.
>
> You like to eat it naked?

Pristine, in its birthday suit, without any veils or frills.

Yeah, I know I know. I was gonna make a play with the
sticky-lips remark, but then I thought of the children.

:)

April.

Malaclypse

Sep 6, 2002, 4:32:25 AM9/6/02
Sherilyn <sher...@suespammers.org> wrote in message news:<87u1l4c...@happy.sherilyn.org.uk>...

> Stevie D <stevieiny...@yahoo.co.uk> writes:
>
> > Sherilyn wrote:
> >
> > > The only proper way to consume 'custard' is to eschew it.
> >
> > Or with school-dinner custard, you just have to chew it :-)
>
> Eschewing is pretty much the same thing except for the 'essssss' sound
> escaping from between the unfortunate's lips as, out of sight of the
> watchful warders, she deposits the vile, slimy stuff into the lining
> of her jacket pocket, to be carefully washed out when she's excused to
> go to the school toilet.
>
> Well that's the way we used to do it at Saint Trinians...

Not a cream fan, me, so I tend to go with custard, but not *too much*,
in my family, whenever custard is served I get a bowl containing what
looks like a meat-pie-floater.
They take a bowl of custard and dunk the poor apple/rhubarb crumble
into it, hoping it dies.
A spoonful over the top's enough for me.

Torak

Sep 5, 2002, 12:44:09 PM9/5/02
"Lady Kayla" <lady...@suespammers.org> wrote in message
> On 4 Sep 2002 13:12:23 GMT, Adrian Ogden <ssso...@reading.ac.uk> wrote:

> > "Mr. Google" <mrgo...@shaddaptony.com> writes:
> >
> ><snip>
> >
> > Query: do people here prefer Apple Crumble with cream or custard?
> >

> Well...
>
> if the apple crumble[1] is hot, then it's got to be nice thick custard.
> But if it's cold, then chantilly creme[2] or vanilla ice-cream are
> absolutely essential.

Nah... Hot apple pie, with a lot of cold *real* vanilla ice cream, and some
sugar on the top for the crunch.

Gid Holyoake

Sep 6, 2002, 3:56:04 PM9/6/02
In article <tRLd9.502099$Ma.41...@amsnews02.chello.com>, Torak
generously decided to share with us..

Snippetry..

> Nah... Hot apple pie, with a lot of cold *real* vanilla ice cream, and some
> sugar on the top for the crunch.

Nonononono.. Hot Apple Pie, with a decently sized chunk of good mature
Cheddar...

Gid

Torak

Sep 6, 2002, 4:00:32 PM9/6/02
"Gid Holyoake" <Postm...@brynamman.org.uk> wrote in message

Nah - apart from anything else, cheese gives me a rash.

Guess I picked the wrong college, eh? ;-)

Diane L.

Sep 6, 2002, 6:09:18 PM9/6/02

"Gid Holyoake" <Postm...@brynamman.org.uk> wrote in message

> Nonononono.. Hot Apple Pie, with a decently sized chunk of good mature
> Cheddar...

Wensleydale, if you please!
Crumblier and saltier and ... just _better_ with apple pie (and fruit cake).

Diane L.

Rocky Frisco

Sep 7, 2002, 1:23:44 AM9/7/02

Wallace and Gromit coming too?

-Rock http://www.rocky-frisco.com
--
Red Dirt Rangers (Rocky on piano): http://www.reddirtrangers.com
JJ Cale Live (w/Rocky): http://www.rocky-frisco.com/calelive.htm

Sanity

Sep 7, 2002, 5:45:03 AM9/7/02
In article <103135014...@iris.uk.clara.net>,
"Diane L." <di...@lindquist.clara.co.uk> wrote:

There's no better cheese than Gouda!

Michel
reply-to sanity at affordable-hedgehogs dot co dot uk valid

--
"Sanity shall make ye -ing fret" - Doing Affordable things to AFP
14/09/02: GoudaMeet 1.0 | 21/09/02: London meets Sanity

Suzi

Sep 7, 2002, 9:21:28 AM9/7/02
In article <alcorv.3...@news.klijmij.net> in alt.fan.pratchett,
Sanity <sanityDE...@affordable-hedgehogs.co.uk> wibbled...

> In article <103135014...@iris.uk.clara.net>,
> "Diane L." <di...@lindquist.clara.co.uk> wrote:
>
> > "Gid Holyoake" <Postm...@brynamman.org.uk> wrote in message
> >

> > > Nonononono.. Hot Apple Pie, with a decently sized chunk of good mature
> > > Cheddar...
> >
> > Wensleydale, if you please!
> > Crumblier and saltier and ... just _better_ with apple pie (and fruit cake).
>
> There's no better cheese than Gouda!

<shudder>
Foreign cheeses... in comparison to British cheeses I find they are
either:
a) less cheese and more, sort of, curdled milk ("soft" cheeses)
b) some experiment in turning sweaty socks into a foodstuff ("french"
and "italian" cheeses)
or
c) plasticised tasteless stuff which is cheese-coloured ("dutch" cheese)

As to choice of British Cheese to accompany apple...
Cheddar, or Cheshire, or Wenslydale, or Caerphilly, or Double
Gloucester, or Red Leicester, or... for brevity, let's just make that
list "all non-mouldy hard British cheeses" shall we ;-)

Suzi

Sanity

Sep 7, 2002, 10:07:24 AM9/7/02
In article <MPG.17e406da...@nntp.netcomuk.co.uk>,
su...@lspace.org (Suzi) wrote:

> In article <alcorv.3...@news.klijmij.net> in alt.fan.pratchett,
> Sanity <sanityDE...@affordable-hedgehogs.co.uk> wibbled...

[...]

> > There's no better cheese than Gouda!
>
> <shudder>
> Foreign cheeses... in comparison to British cheeses I find they are
> either:
> a) less cheese and more, sort of, curdled milk ("soft" cheeses)
> b) some experiment in turning sweaty socks into a foodstuff
> ("french" and "italian" cheeses)

There's quite a few decent french cheeses that do not taste like
sweaty socks, you know...

> or
> c) plasticised tasteless stuff which is cheese-coloured ("dutch" cheese)

It seems you
1) Don't get real dutch cheese
2) Get the wrong dutch cheese

Dutch cheese certainly isn't (generally) plasticised cheese; I think
you should get suspicious when the dutch cheese has a label saying
"made in uk"...
I saw some awfully un-natural cheese labelled "Gouda" when I was in
.au. When inspecting the label, it said "made in Tasmania". I don't
hold any grudge against Taswegians, but it's horrible what they do to
our lovely cheese....

> As to choice of British Cheese to accompany apple...
> Cheddar, or Cheshire, or Wenslydale, or Caerphilly, or Double
> Gloucester, or Red Leicester, or... for brevity, let's just make that
> list "all non-mouldy hard British cheeses" shall we ;-)

They're not bad. I think. Never really tried them. Maybe when I'm in
London...who'll treat me? :-)

Sylvain Chambon

Sep 7, 2002, 1:10:48 PM9/7/02
In article <MPG.17e406da...@nntp.netcomuk.co.uk>, Suzi wrote:

><shudder>
> Foreign cheeses... in comparison to British cheeses I find they are
> either:

Existant; which is more than can be said of the fabled "British
cheeses"...

<g,d&r>

Sylvain.

Suzi

Sep 7, 2002, 1:47:00 PM9/7/02
In article <slrnankcou...@fifokaswiti.wanadoo.fr> in
alt.fan.pratchett, Sylvain Chambon <gou...@lepcf.org> wibbled...

Ummmm... I don't get the joke? (I am assuming this is a joke due to the
<gdr> which followed it).

Suzi

Sylvain Chambon

Sep 7, 2002, 2:10:45 PM9/7/02

The joke (admittedly not very good) was: what you call (good) cheese is
obviously different from what I would call (good) cheese.

No offense was obviously meant as, as I think I have made perfectly
clear in the few months I've been on afp, I am not especially French
patriotic -- especially not in a "whatever's not from France can't be
any good" sense. Hence a second level of joke, me displaying that kind
of behaviour.

To be fair, saying something like "Foreign cheeses are all disgusting
compared to British cheeses" on an international group is quite begging
for exactly the opposite answer. Which I gave, in a spirit of jest.

Sylvain.

Ben Hutchings

Sep 7, 2002, 3:27:38 PM9/7/02
In article <1LYZhHCW...@caomhin.demon.co.uk>, Kevin Golding wrote:
<snip>

> Now of course the real questions should be whether or not apple's should
> ever be joined by other fruits whilst crumbled?
<snip>

Blackberries. Good Housekeeping says to include blackberries, and
we have lots of brambles near the house to pick them from.

Suzi

Sep 7, 2002, 6:20:14 PM9/7/02
In article <slrnankg9b...@fifokaswiti.wanadoo.fr> in
alt.fan.pratchett, Sylvain Chambon <gou...@lepcf.org> wibbled...

[Snip]

> To be fair, saying something like "Foreign cheeses are all disgusting
> compared to British cheeses" on an international group is quite begging
> for exactly the opposite answer.

Is it? Oh, OK then. Personally, having tried non-British cheeses I'll
stick to the ones from home ;-)

Suzi

Phil Davison

Sep 7, 2002, 6:59:24 PM9/7/02
Gid Holyoake wrote:

Oh, come on Gid! Cheddar goes with some crusty bread, pickle and a
pint or several of good ale!

--
Cyclops
Evil Heretic Infiltrator

Phil Davison

Sep 7, 2002, 7:08:28 PM9/7/02
Sanity wrote:

>In article <MPG.17e406da...@nntp.netcomuk.co.uk>,
> su...@lspace.org (Suzi) wrote:>
>> or
>> c) plasticised tasteless stuff which is cheese-coloured ("dutch" cheese)
>
>It seems you
>1) Don't get real dutch cheese
>2) Get the wrong dutch cheese
>
>Dutch cheese certainly isn't (generally) plasticised cheese;

I went to Gouda once and bought some Gouda cheese. I'll side with Suzi
on this one.

Oh yes, I forgot to mention my Mum brought me back some cheese from a
trip to the Netherlands which says "Product of Holland" [1] on the
packaging and is described as "gerookte gesmolten kaas 40+
Braziliaanse peper". I think you're supposed to use it to stick glass
in window frames.

[1] I suspect this has nothing to do with East Anglia!

Phil Davison

Sep 7, 2002, 7:11:14 PM9/7/02
Rocky Frisco wrote:

>"Diane L." wrote:
>>
>> "Gid Holyoake" <Postm...@brynamman.org.uk> wrote in message
>>

>> > Nonononono.. Hot Apple Pie, with a decently sized chunk of good mature
>> > Cheddar...
>>
>> Wensleydale, if you please!
>> Crumblier and saltier and ... just _better_ with apple pie (and fruit cake).
>
>Wallace and Gromit coming too?

You'd better believe it!
http://www.wensleydale.co.uk/mini2.htm

François-Xavier de Montgolfier

Sep 7, 2002, 7:04:18 PM9/7/02
On Sat, 07 Sep 2002 11:45:03 +0200, Sanity
<sanityDE...@affordable-hedgehogs.co.uk> wrote:

>There's no better cheese than Gouda!

Yes there is!

FiX

If you can't take fucking responsibility for fucking supervising your
children on the fucking internet. I suggest you stop fucking.
---Kayla's "raising children in the electronic age for Dummies"

Eric Jarvis

Sep 7, 2002, 8:01:07 PM9/7/02
François-Xavier de Montgolfier wrote:
> On Sat, 07 Sep 2002 11:45:03 +0200, Sanity
> <sanityDE...@affordable-hedgehogs.co.uk> wrote:
>
> >There's no better cheese than Gouda!
>
> Yes there is!

perhaps he meant to say "no cheese is better than Gouda"...in which case
I'd agree...given that choice I'd go for no cheese every time

--
eric - afprelationships in headers
www.ericjarvis.co.uk

Warwick

Sep 7, 2002, 9:02:25 PM9/7/02
Begin <MPG.17e318b06...@nntp.netcomuk.co.uk>,
Postm...@brynamman.org.uk quote...
There's something about this thread that reminds me of dinner a few
years ago.

The main course was steak based and only 4 people were eating. I'd
managed to get 4 of the best pieces of meat I've seen in my life and all
of them would have been good enough to cook en-bleu. After cooking and
as timed part of the cook I *had* to cook each piece of meat for a fixed
time in the sauce and this screwed up the normal shallow fry or grill
times. Of course the answer to the question "how would you like your
steak received 4 answers that covered the entire spectrum. To my own
credit I didn't stab the person demanding it being burned to a crisp and
produced 4 perfect steaks.

When It comes to apple crumble I haven't a clue as to how it should
taste since the flavours involved make me feel sick. It doesn't stop me
making desserts though. My Apple crumble tends to include a couple of
cloves too though, although I tag them to ensure they're not in there by
the time the lid arrives. The other thing I noted was that Bramleys
aren't a good way to start. Go for one of the larger dessert varieties
that are edible and cut down on the sugar at that point you gain an
addicted crowd demanding more crumble.

If the mix seems too sweet in spite of the spices and the lower sugar
(native apple) varieties you used then take an edge off it with cocoa
powder... Oh dear did I add chocolate to the thing?

Keep the amount of chocolate to the amount you'd add to a chilli you
want to use it as a flavour enhancer *not* a flavour.

Go for it.

Warwick --- who can't eat sweet stuff

Torak

Sep 8, 2002, 5:39:11 AM9/8/02
"Warwick" <war...@lspace.org> wrote in message

> When It comes to apple crumble I haven't a clue as to how it should
> taste since the flavours involved make me feel sick. It doesn't stop me
> making desserts though. My Apple crumble tends to include a couple of
> cloves too though, although I tag them to ensure they're not in there by
> the time the lid arrives. The other thing I noted was that Bramleys
> aren't a good way to start. Go for one of the larger dessert varieties
> that are edible and cut down on the sugar at that point you gain an
> addicted crowd demanding more crumble.

Oh, I love apple crumble - at least when I make it. I tend to have a lot of
crumble and fairly firm apples, and - of course - plenty of cinnamon.

Alec Cawley

Sep 7, 2002, 6:28:13 PM9/7/02
Ben Hutchings wrote:

Ah, not, that is a different thing completely. Apple pie should be apple
pie alone. If there are blackberries, it should be blackberry and apple pie
(or, preferably, crumble), with more than 50% blackberries. And the apples
shoudl be slightly less cooked. In apple pie, they should be cooked until
*just before* they become squishy (easy way - cook them until they become
mushy, then ask Lu Tze to fix the problem). In blackberry and apple pie,
they should be cooked until just before they cease to be crunchy (same
method).

--
@lec Šawley

Rocky Frisco

Sep 8, 2002, 2:16:11 PM9/8/02
Phil Davison wrote:

> Rocky Frisco wrote:

> >Wallace and Gromit coming too?
> >
> You'd better believe it!

> http://www.wensleydale.co.uk/mini2.htm

I just lurve Wensleydale cheese. In fact, I looove all cheeses except the
stinky ones. Unfortunately, I'm lactose intolerant, so most of them make me
sick. I can safely eat about one slice of pizza and that's the limit. Too
bad.

I have wondered if the little enzyme pills might help, but have never tried
them.

Alec Cawley

Sep 8, 2002, 3:22:34 PM9/8/02
Rocky Frisco wrote:

> Phil Davison wrote:
>>
>> Rocky Frisco wrote:
>
>> >Wallace and Gromit coming too?
>> >
>> You'd better believe it!
>
>> http://www.wensleydale.co.uk/mini2.htm
>
> I just lurve Wensleydale cheese. In fact, I looove all cheeses except the
> stinky ones. Unfortunately, I'm lactose intolerant, so most of them make
> me sick. I can safely eat about one slice of pizza and that's the limit.
> Too bad.
>
> I have wondered if the little enzyme pills might help, but have never
> tried them.

Colleague has the same problem and swears by them. Says he just needs 15
minutes warning and he can eat all the cream-rich french cooking he wants -
finishing with cheese.

--
@lec Šawley

Vivek Dasmohapatra

Sep 9, 2002, 6:02:46 AM9/9/02
Rocky Frisco <ro...@rocky-frisco.com> writes:

[snip]

> stinky ones. Unfortunately, I'm lactose intolerant, so most of them make me
> sick. I can safely eat about one slice of pizza and that's the limit. Too
> bad.
>
> I have wondered if the little enzyme pills might help, but have never tried
> them.

They help: Usually I don't have a reaction at all with the pills,
although occasionally I get a mild reaction anyway. Curse this frail,
defective body. Of course, I'm not allergic to lactase - it's worth
checking if you're allergic to lactase before taking the pills, I
guess.

--
"I don't want to go to the movies to be horrified and depressed."
"No, I suppose you've got real life to do that."

Andy Davison

Sep 9, 2002, 7:27:44 AM9/9/02
On Sun, 08 Sep 2002 18:16:11 GMT, in message
<3D7B93EE...@rocky-frisco.com>, Rocky Frisco
<ro...@rocky-frisco.com> wrote:

>I just lurve Wensleydale cheese. In fact, I looove all cheeses except the
>stinky ones. Unfortunately, I'm lactose intolerant, so most of them make me
>sick. I can safely eat about one slice of pizza and that's the limit. Too
>bad.

I have a cousin who is lactose intolerant and yeast intolerant. She
used to get goat's cheese as it's lower in lactose than cow's cheese.
She stopped because 'cheese has got yeast in it' Que?! Anyway I put
her right on that one. I told her she could have feta as sheep's milk
is also lower in lactose. She said no, because feta is made from cow's
milk. I pointed out the picture of the sheep on the label :)
She also has an intolerance to aomething in wheat but not gluten.
Shopping with her was a real eye opener. Now I find myself checking
labels far more than I ever used to.

>I have wondered if the little enzyme pills might help, but have never tried
>them.

If you are referring to Beano and stuff like that I'm not sure it
would work. I thought that was mainly amylase which converts starch to
sugar for people with starch intolerance. If you're referring to some
other enzyme pill it might be worth while checking from the label what
enzymes are involved and finding out what they react with.
--
Andy Davison
an...@oiyou.force9.co.uk

Andy Davison

Sep 9, 2002, 7:27:45 AM9/9/02
On Sun, 08 Sep 2002 20:22:34 +0100, in message
<5638131.g...@aleccawley.com>, Alec Cawley
<al...@cawley.demon.co.uk> wrote:

>Colleague has the same problem and swears by them. Says he just needs 15
>minutes warning and he can eat all the cream-rich french cooking he wants -
>finishing with cheese.

Can you let us know what brand they are and where you get them please?
--
Andy Davison
an...@oiyou.force9.co.uk

MP

Sep 9, 2002, 7:51:52 AM9/9/02

Andy Davison wrote:

> On Sun, 08 Sep 2002 18:16:11 GMT, in message
> <3D7B93EE...@rocky-frisco.com>, Rocky Frisco
> <ro...@rocky-frisco.com> wrote:
>
> >I just lurve Wensleydale cheese. In fact, I looove all cheeses except the
> >stinky ones. Unfortunately, I'm lactose intolerant, so most of them make me
> >sick. I can safely eat about one slice of pizza and that's the limit. Too
> >bad.
>
> I have a cousin who is lactose intolerant and yeast intolerant.

My gf is lactose intolerant, yeast intolerant and allergic to perfume,
which makes buying her traditional presents quite tricky...

> She
> used to get goat's cheese as it's lower in lactose than cow's cheese.
> She stopped because 'cheese has got yeast in it' Que?!

Cheese doesn't have yeast in. Except when it is vegan cheese, which
doesn't have milk in. We've tried to find a dairy and yeast free cheese
substitute, but the closest we've managed is a kind of smelly flour
which vaguely resembles pregrated parmesan. We found that by accident
when trying to buy proper parmesan for me+housemates...

> Anyway I put
> her right on that one. I told her she could have feta as sheep's milk
> is also lower in lactose. She said no, because feta is made from cow's
> milk. I pointed out the picture of the sheep on the label :)

Yes, but that doesn't always work... Baby food would be the obvious
one... :-}

> She also has an intolerance to aomething in wheat but not gluten.
> Shopping with her was a real eye opener. Now I find myself checking
> labels far more than I ever used to.

Sainsbury's are being quite useful now - they've introduced little
labels that say "Contains: Milk, Gluten, Soya, Nuts, etc" with a
slightly shorter list in general, and also a Free-from range, which has
lots of something-free products: gluten free pasta, or dairy free
ice-cream (which is delicious)...

MP
--
"If that line isn't sigged, I'd be surprised."
- MEG, AFP
(And no-one can call me unobliging.... :-} )

Vivek Dasmohapatra

Sep 9, 2002, 10:31:39 AM9/9/02
Andy Davison <an...@oiyou.force9.co.uk> writes:

[snip]

> >Colleague has the same problem and swears by them. Says he just
> >needs 15 minutes warning and he can eat all the cream-rich french
> >cooking he wants - finishing with cheese.
>
> Can you let us know what brand they are and where you get them
> please? -- Andy Davison an...@oiyou.force9.co.uk

Just go to a health food store and ask for "lactase tablets".
*

The `a' there is important, wouldn't want to get lactose tablets by
mistake, as someone nearly tried to find for me before I slowly and
carefully explained the difference...

They used to be available as a non-prescription thing you could get
from chemists, but apparently it was removed from their big fat book
of things they could order, and a few months later started turning up
as a completely over-the-counter thing at health food stores, so I
assume it was declassified, or reclassified, or whatever you call it.

--
I dunno about the Big Bang. The Big Kludge I can believe in.

Julia Jones

Sep 9, 2002, 11:48:29 AM9/9/02
In article <823csjt...@salmon.pepperfish.net>, Vivek Dasmohapatra
<vi...@etla.org> writes

>Rocky Frisco <ro...@rocky-frisco.com> writes:
>
>[snip]
>> stinky ones. Unfortunately, I'm lactose intolerant, so most of them make me
>> sick. I can safely eat about one slice of pizza and that's the limit. Too
>> bad.
>>
>> I have wondered if the little enzyme pills might help, but have never tried
>> them.
>
>They help: Usually I don't have a reaction at all with the pills,
>although occasionally I get a mild reaction anyway. Curse this frail,
>defective body. Of course, I'm not allergic to lactase - it's worth
>checking if you're allergic to lactase before taking the pills, I
>guess.

This is all very interesting, and I have one further question for the
afporacle - are these things suitable for a Jew who observes kosher? A
friend of mine might find them useful...
--
Julia Jones
The suespammers.org mail server is located in California; do not send

Vivek Dasmohapatra

Sep 9, 2002, 12:49:28 PM9/9/02
Julia Jones <jaj...@suespammers.org> writes:

[lactase tablets]

> This is all very interesting, and I have one further question for
> the afporacle - are these things suitable for a Jew who observes
> kosher? A friend of mine might find them useful...

I suspect that is a very interesting question :)

Have them go and ask their Rabbi, it's the only way to be sure...

--
"It is two days later and I am still at the office. I did not go and
chase coots. There is too much work to do. I want to die."

The Stainless Steel Cat

Sep 9, 2002, 3:49:04 PM9/9/02
In article <3D7B93EE...@rocky-frisco.com>,
Rocky Frisco <ro...@rocky-frisco.com> wrote:

>Phil Davison wrote:
>>
>> Rocky Frisco wrote:
>
>> >Wallace and Gromit coming too?
>> >
>> You'd better believe it!
>
>> http://www.wensleydale.co.uk/mini2.htm
>
>I just lurve Wensleydale cheese. In fact, I looove all cheeses except the
>stinky ones. Unfortunately, I'm lactose intolerant, so most of them make me
>sick. I can safely eat about one slice of pizza and that's the limit. Too
>bad.

Hmmm, pardon me for piggybacking here Rocky, but this raises a question
that maybe the group can answer.

For the last few years, I've assumed I was mildly lactose intolerant
because while I can drink a glass of semi-skimmed milk with nary a squeam,
if I tried the same with full-fat milk I would throw up. However I eat
plenty of cheese, so I now have to assume it's not the lactose that makes
the difference.

Does anyone have any ideas what it could be in normal/full-fat milk that
makes me feel sick?

Cat.
--
La Rustimuna ^Stalkato
stee...@demon.co.uk

Vivek Dasmohapatra

Sep 9, 2002, 7:23:47 PM9/9/02
stee...@demon.co.uk (The Stainless Steel Cat) writes:

[snip]

> For the last few years, I've assumed I was mildly lactose intolerant
> because while I can drink a glass of semi-skimmed milk with nary a squeam,
> if I tried the same with full-fat milk I would throw up. However I eat
> plenty of cheese, so I now have to assume it's not the lactose that makes
> the difference.

But cheese is soured, and has less lactose than milk, doesn't it?
I know there are degrees of intolerance, since mine has varied
from 'a little' to 'please glod, kill me now'.

--
Nobody wants constructive criticism. It's all we can do to put up with
constructive praise.

Andy Davison

Sep 9, 2002, 9:46:52 PM9/9/02
On 09 Sep 2002 15:31:39 +0100, in message
<82y9abs0...@salmon.pepperfish.net>, Vivek Dasmohapatra
<vi...@etla.org> wrote:

>The `a' there is important, wouldn't want to get lactose tablets by
>mistake, as someone nearly tried to find for me before I slowly and
>carefully explained the difference...

Yes I realise that. -ase is an enzyme, -ose is a sugar.
(Generally speaking of course, after all nose isn't n-sugar)
--
Andy Davison
an...@oiyou.force9.co.uk

esky

Sep 10, 2002, 4:14:15 AM9/10/02
In article <821y829...@salmon.pepperfish.net>, vi...@etla.org says...

> stee...@demon.co.uk (The Stainless Steel Cat) writes:
>
> [snip]
> > For the last few years, I've assumed I was mildly lactose intolerant
> > because while I can drink a glass of semi-skimmed milk with nary a squeam,
> > if I tried the same with full-fat milk I would throw up. However I eat
> > plenty of cheese, so I now have to assume it's not the lactose that makes
> > the difference.
>
> But cheese is soured, and has less lactose than milk, doesn't it?
> I know there are degrees of intolerance, since mine has varied
> from 'a little' to 'please glod, kill me now'.

Coming from a country where lactose intolerance is very common, even if I
do not suffer from that myself, I can say that hard (matured) cheeses do
not contain lactose and are in fact 'prescribed' as a source of calsium
for people who are severely lactose intolerant.

We have it easy here though. Since there is such a large percentage of
people with lactose intolerance we get a huge range of products with low
lactose content (HYLA products), anything from milk to chocolate, and
even a few with no lactose at all. This makes it very easy to avoid it in
everyday life.

Remember though that lactose intolerance is not the same as milk-allergy.
If you're allregic to milk (the proteine, not the sugar in it) then these
products, or enzymes that break down the sugar, won't help. However,
milk-allergy is not very common in adults, it's mainly found in small
children.

esky

Vivek Dasmohapatra

Sep 10, 2002, 6:22:39 AM9/10/02
Andy Davison <an...@oiyou.force9.co.uk> writes:

Wasn't suggesting that you didn't - just that the YTS types behind
the counter don't always know basics like that...

--
"As you point out, EFAULT situations are `undefined' which means the
machine is entitled to grow wings an launch itself towards the sun..."

Jenny Radcliffe

Sep 10, 2002, 2:34:44 PM9/10/02
The Stainless Steel Cat scrawled across my screen:

> For the last few years, I've assumed I was mildly lactose
> intolerant because while I can drink a glass of semi-skimmed milk
> with nary a squeam, if I tried the same with full-fat milk I would
> throw up. However I eat plenty of cheese, so I now have to assume
> it's not the lactose that makes the difference.
> Does anyone have any ideas what it could be in normal/full-fat milk
> that makes me feel sick?

Talk to your GP. It might be something really simple which they can help
with. It might be something you jst have to put up with. But you might as
well find out. It's what they're there for ...

Jenny

Terry Pratchett

Sep 10, 2002, 2:56:28 PM9/10/02
In article <slrnankg9b...@fifokaswiti.wanadoo.fr>, Sylvain
Chambon <gou...@lepcf.org> writes

>To be fair, saying something like "Foreign cheeses are all disgusting
>compared to British cheeses" on an international group is quite begging
>for exactly the opposite answer. Which I gave, in a spirit of jest.

I suspect you'd have a job to beat Cornish Yarg, the first cheese I'll
always go for.

Last year Lyn brought home a local cheese, I think, called Stinking
Bishop. the shop never had it again. They said they couldn't get rid
of the smell, which was foul. It tastes like a nuttier Brie.
--
Terry Pratchett

Julia Jones

Sep 10, 2002, 4:14:44 PM9/10/02
In article <RAfxwjAc...@unseen.demon.co.uk>, Terry Pratchett
<Te...@unseen.demon.co.uk> writes

>Last year Lyn brought home a local cheese, I think, called Stinking
>Bishop. the shop never had it again. They said they couldn't get rid
>of the smell, which was foul. It tastes like a nuttier Brie.

Oh, I think I encountered that in the cheese shop in Frome. The smell
was climbing out of the wrapping and attacking passers-by in the street.

Sylvain Chambon

Sep 10, 2002, 5:44:30 PM9/10/02
In article <ZMrNXqh0...@jajones.demon.co.uk>, Julia Jones wrote:
> In article <RAfxwjAc...@unseen.demon.co.uk>, Terry Pratchett
><Te...@unseen.demon.co.uk> writes
>>Last year Lyn brought home a local cheese, I think, called Stinking
>>Bishop. the shop never had it again. They said they couldn't get rid
>>of the smell, which was foul. It tastes like a nuttier Brie.
>
> Oh, I think I encountered that in the cheese shop in Frome. The smell
> was climbing out of the wrapping and attacking passers-by in the street.

Thanks. I was having trouble falling asleep so I logged in to read
*that*. Now I'll be dreaming all night of bishops' stinks crawling up
to unsuspecting passers-by in dark alleys in order to mug them.

Thank you *very* *much*.

Sylvain.

Alec Cawley

Sep 10, 2002, 5:57:58 PM9/10/02
Terry Pratchett wrote:

I tried that once. My wife banned it from the fridge. It was only the
second time a cheese has been to strong for me.

The first time was at a restaurant somewhere in the Looire valley, where we
finished a meal with the cheese board. One of the cheeses - superficially a
hard chees with a somewhat Double Gloucester colour, was so strongly
flavoured that we couldn't shave a fragment small enough to eat. We asked
the proprietor what it was. He said that it was all the remnants of cheese
that were too uses to serve again, put into the food processor with some
marc. It wad mind boggling.

--
@lec Šawley

David Chapman

Sep 10, 2002, 6:45:04 PM9/10/02
The seas boiled, the skies fell, and Terry Pratchett said:

> In article <slrnankg9b...@fifokaswiti.wanadoo.fr>, Sylvain
> Chambon <gou...@lepcf.org> writes
>> To be fair, saying something like "Foreign cheeses are all disgusting
>> compared to British cheeses" on an international group is quite
>> begging for exactly the opposite answer. Which I gave, in a spirit
>> of jest.
>
> I suspect you'd have a job to beat Cornish Yarg, the first cheese I'll
> always go for.

Waaargh - you *eat* that stuff? And *like* it? A definite
loss of cheese snobbery points there.

Had a bit of cheese from Tesco made with llama's milk or
something equally odd. That was nice, but I can't recall what
it was called now.

--
How am I supposed to keep a low profile when
Godzilla with a white-man's Afro is on the back

Suzi

Sep 10, 2002, 6:51:29 PM9/10/02
In article <821y829...@salmon.pepperfish.net> in alt.fan.pratchett,
Vivek Dasmohapatra <vi...@etla.org> wibbled...

> stee...@demon.co.uk (The Stainless Steel Cat) writes:
>
> [snip]
> > For the last few years, I've assumed I was mildly lactose intolerant
> > because while I can drink a glass of semi-skimmed milk with nary a squeam,
> > if I tried the same with full-fat milk I would throw up.

Possibly a reaction to the fats in the milk then rather than the
lactose?

> > However I eat
> > plenty of cheese, so I now have to assume it's not the lactose that makes
> > the difference.
>
> But cheese is soured, and has less lactose than milk, doesn't it?
> I know there are degrees of intolerance, since mine has varied
> from 'a little' to 'please glod, kill me now'.

Hard cheeses don't contain lactose. A friend of ours is severely
allergic to "raw" milk due to the lactose (I think the phrase would be
"projectiley allergic"), but can eat cheese with no problems at all.
Someone with an allergy or intolerance to hard cheese as well as to
milk must be allergic or inteolerant to some other thing in milk - one
of the enzymes not destroyed in the cheese-making process perhaps?

As a side-note here - how many people are aware that, according to
reports in scientific journals recently, some of the lipids (fats) in
milk have now been shown to probably be beneficial in reducing cancer
risks... the same ones as are stripped out when you skim the milk :-/

Suzi

Terry Pratchett

Sep 10, 2002, 6:29:37 PM9/10/02
In article <1118605.B...@aleccawley.com>, Alec Cawley
<al...@cawley.demon.co.uk> writes

>I tried that once. My wife banned it from the fridge. It was only the
>second time a cheese has been to strong for me.

I didn't think it was too strong to the taste, but I admit the smell
could get through steel...
--
Terry Pratchett

gra...@affordable-leather.co.ukdeletethis

Sep 10, 2002, 8:08:04 PM9/10/02
Hi there,

On Tue, 10 Sep 2002 19:56:28 +0100, Terry Pratchett
<Te...@unseen.demon.co.uk> wrote:

>Last year Lyn brought home a local cheese, I think, called Stinking
>Bishop. the shop never had it again. They said they couldn't get rid
>of the smell

Ah, the cheese equivalent of Foul Ol' Ron!

Cheers,
Graham.

Julia Jones

Sep 10, 2002, 8:01:27 PM9/10/02
In article <slrnanspug...@fifokaswiti.wanadoo.fr>, Sylvain
Chambon <gou...@lepcf.org> writes

It's a fairly bright alley, at least in daylight, but it does have a
stream running down the middle which given the adjoining architecture
does not require *very* much imagination to see as the local waste
disposal system (which it probably was, back when that street was
built). I was slightly confused at first as to where the smell was
coming from...

>Thank you *very* *much*.

So glad to be of service.

Kegs

Sep 10, 2002, 11:21:36 PM9/10/02
Terry Pratchett <Te...@unseen.demon.co.uk> wrote in

[snipped smelly foreign muck(like cheddar)]

> I suspect you'd have a job to beat Cornish Yarg, the first cheese I'll
> always go for.

Yay! your passport is in the post, just show it at immigration on the
tamar bridge and you don't have to pay a toll.

Oh and it comes with one of the little flag bumper stickers that stop
locals for yelling at you for being an emmitt[1] who doesn't know where
they are going.

[1] you'll have to ask

--
James
hot...@jameskeasley.com invert to reply

Micro$oft is for Capitalists running DOS

Terry Pratchett

Sep 11, 2002, 7:07:31 AM9/11/02
In article <allsjq$1s10h5$2...@ID-93395.news.dfncis.de>, David Chapman
<evil...@madasafish.com> writes

>Waaargh - you *eat* that stuff? And *like* it? A definite
>loss of cheese snobbery points there.

I'm not in this for the snobbery. I'm in it for the cheese. I'm
someone who once bought four Stiltons because the shopkeeper though
they'd gone bad. They'd merely gone purple.

Yarg is a fine cheese. It's got a mild, creamy flavour and a good
texture. It doesn't disgrace any cheese board. The snobbery, I'm afraid,
is yours.
--
Terry Pratchett

Sorcha

Sep 11, 2002, 8:07:19 AM9/11/02
"Julia Jones" <jaj...@suespammers.org> wrote in message

> In article <RAfxwjAc...@unseen.demon.co.uk>, Terry Pratchett
> <Te...@unseen.demon.co.uk> writes
> >Last year Lyn brought home a local cheese, I think, called Stinking
> >Bishop. the shop never had it again. They said they couldn't get rid
> >of the smell, which was foul. It tastes like a nuttier Brie.
>
> Oh, I think I encountered that in the cheese shop in Frome. The smell
> was climbing out of the wrapping and attacking passers-by in the street.

Sounds like one epic five-hour bus trip I made in the company of a French
friend and an opened Camembert... and she wondered why no-one was sitting
anywhere near us on the bus...

Sorcha

Melody S-K

Sep 11, 2002, 8:11:45 AM9/11/02
I have just had to disinfect my fridge after my husband left a particularly
virulent strain of blue cheese fester until *ready*.

The fact that everything else in the fridge stank of the stuff ,,,the dog
who eats everything wouldnt go NEAR the fridge when the door was open and
the amount of flies buzzing around my kitchen did nothing to deter him from
eating the darned stuff yesterday.....

Melody

--
New PC no sig yet

Andy Davison

Sep 11, 2002, 8:25:01 AM9/11/02
On Tue, 10 Sep 2002 23:51:29 +0100, in message
<MPG.17e88795e...@nntp.netcomuk.co.uk>, su...@lspace.org
(Suzi) wrote:

>Hard cheeses don't contain lactose. A friend of ours is severely
>allergic to "raw" milk due to the lactose (I think the phrase would be
>"projectiley allergic"), but can eat cheese with no problems at all.
>Someone with an allergy or intolerance to hard cheese as well as to
>milk must be allergic or inteolerant to some other thing in milk - one
>of the enzymes not destroyed in the cheese-making process perhaps?

Some people have an intolerance to cassein(sp?) which is a milk
protein and as I understand it is present in cheese. There was a thing
in one of the papers last year (possibly the Times[1]) which
pooh-poohed all talk of lactose intolerance basically saying people
who think they'er lactose intolerant are wusses who are just out for
sympathy. It was one of the most oboxious articles I have ever read.

[1] I can't remember which paper it was. It was just something I found
on a train.
--
Andy Davison
an...@oiyou.force9.co.uk

David Chapman

Sep 11, 2002, 8:51:06 AM9/11/02
The seas boiled, the skies fell, and Terry Pratchett said:

> In article <allsjq$1s10h5$2...@ID-93395.news.dfncis.de>, David Chapman
> <evil...@madasafish.com> writes
>> Waaargh - you *eat* that stuff? And *like* it? A definite
>> loss of cheese snobbery points there.
>
> I'm not in this for the snobbery. I'm in it for the cheese.

T'was a joke.

> Yarg is a fine cheese. It's got a mild, creamy flavour and a good
> texture. It doesn't disgrace any cheese board.

Texture isn't something I look for in food, only taste. They wrap
Yarg in nettles and it tastes of nothing else. Sure and it'd be a
dull world if we were all the same but ... still ...

Adrian Ogden

Sep 11, 2002, 8:44:42 AM9/11/02
Terry Pratchett <Te...@unseen.demon.co.uk> writes:

>I'm not in this for the snobbery. I'm in it for the cheese.

Get the .Sig Appropriation Squad down here now! *Now, dammit!

*ahem*

OK, move along people, nothing to see here...

--
<< Adrian Ogden -- "Sic Biscuitus Disintegrat" -- www.rdg.ac.uk/~sssogadr/ >>

"Get thee behind me, thou evil side-order of Lucifer!"

Vivek Dasmohapatra

Sep 11, 2002, 9:36:56 AM9/11/02
Andy Davison <an...@oiyou.force9.co.uk> writes:

[snip]

> in one of the papers last year (possibly the Times[1]) which
> pooh-poohed all talk of lactose intolerance basically saying people
> who think they'er lactose intolerant are wusses who are just out for
> sympathy. It was one of the most oboxious articles I have ever read.

Hmm. Got the authors name and address? I could go round to their
house, down a litre of milk and perform a radical peristaltic
redecoration of their living room...

--
If we all work together, we can totally disrupt the system.

Stephen Thomas

Sep 11, 2002, 9:42:29 AM9/11/02
Terry Pratchett wrote:
> I suspect you'd have a job to beat Cornish Yarg, the first cheese I'll
> always go for.

Right with you there. First tried some CY on a visit to Ludlow a year
or so ago, thought it was wonderful. Now, if my wife if ever a little
bit down, I know exactly what to get her for comfort food ...

Stephen

Añejo

Sep 11, 2002, 9:53:28 AM9/11/02
On 11 Sep 2002 12:44:42 GMT, Adrian Ogden <ssso...@reading.ac.uk> wrote:
>Terry Pratchett <Te...@unseen.demon.co.uk> writes:
>
>>I'm not in this for the snobbery. I'm in it for the cheese.
>
>Get the .Sig Appropriation Squad down here now! *Now, dammit!

Alas, too late. The .sigmonster has already gobbled it.

Lena (and a *burp*ing .sigmonster)
--
http://www.anejo.nu \\ http://derry.anejo.nu
http://www.livejournal.com/~anejo
"I'm not in this for the snobbery. I'm in it for the cheese." - Terry
Pratchett

Ingvar Mattsson

Sep 11, 2002, 11:15:22 AM9/11/02
su...@lspace.org (Suzi) writes:

> In article <821y829...@salmon.pepperfish.net> in alt.fan.pratchett,
> Vivek Dasmohapatra <vi...@etla.org> wibbled...
>
> > stee...@demon.co.uk (The Stainless Steel Cat) writes:
> >
> > [snip]
> > > For the last few years, I've assumed I was mildly lactose intolerant
> > > because while I can drink a glass of semi-skimmed milk with nary a squeam,
> > > if I tried the same with full-fat milk I would throw up.
>
> Possibly a reaction to the fats in the milk then rather than the
> lactose?
>
> > > However I eat
> > > plenty of cheese, so I now have to assume it's not the lactose that makes
> > > the difference.
> >
> > But cheese is soured, and has less lactose than milk, doesn't it?
> > I know there are degrees of intolerance, since mine has varied
> > from 'a little' to 'please glod, kill me now'.
>
> Hard cheeses don't contain lactose. A friend of ours is severely
> allergic to "raw" milk due to the lactose (I think the phrase would be
> "projectiley allergic"), but can eat cheese with no problems at all.
> Someone with an allergy or intolerance to hard cheese as well as to
> milk must be allergic or inteolerant to some other thing in milk - one
> of the enzymes not destroyed in the cheese-making process perhaps?

*places chip on shoulder*

In *most* cases (I'd probably go as far as saying "all cases"), an
inability to cope with lactose (milk sugar) is *not* *not* NOT an
allergy, it's an intolerance. Caused by the lack of an enzyme in the
peptic juice mix (lactase, to be specific). An allergy involves the
immunosystem.

//Ingvar (did I take that chip off?)
--
Q: What do you call a Discworld admin?