[R] spoilers for "Thud!" and "Is that my Moo-Cow?"

Jade

Nov 4, 2004, 4:26:35 AM11/4/04
Hi all,

I was chatting with Pterry the other day (well, he was talking,
and several hundred of us were listening :-)
and I wondered if anyone would be interested in what he said . . .

,

!
!

He spoke about the next adult Discworld book Thud! and the
lovely idea of Sam Vimes hurrying home each day, come hell or
high water, to be in time to read young Sam his bedtime story,
over and over again. The bedtime story was a picture-book
called "Is that my Moo-cow?" (or similar) and the plot seemed
hauntingly familiar . . .

-Is that my Moo-cow?
-It goes "baa"
-That's not a Moo-cow, that's a . . . . sheep!

-Is that my Moo-cow?
-It goes "cluck cluck cluck"
-That's not a Moo-cow, that's a . . . . chicken!

-Is that my Moo-cow?
-It goes "wroghoaghw"
-That's not a Moo-cow, that's a . . . . hippopotomus!

(aargh!)

Anyway, it suddenly occurs to Vimes that young Sam is
growing up in the middle of a city, and the only sound
he will hear most animals in the city make is 'sizzle'

(aargh!!)

So he imagines a book that would include things that
young Sam would be likely to actually see in Ankh-Morepork,
called "Is that my daddy?"

-Is that my daddy?
-It goes "Buggrit, millenium hand and shrimp"
-That's not my daddy!

(aagrh!!!)

Which is all very very good, but IMHO the best bit is that
"Is that my Moo-Cow" (a cardboard kid's picture book) will
be published as a companion book to Thud!

the man is brilliant

Jade

Arthur Hagen

Nov 4, 2004, 9:45:58 AM11/4/04

I don't know about you guys, but it makes me think of a certain figure of
authority listening to a kid reading "My billy goat".

> Which is all very very good, but IMHO the best bit is that
> "Is that my Moo-Cow" (a cardboard kid's picture book) will
> be published as a companion book to Thud!

Make sure that the authority figure mentioned above gets a copy.

> the man is brilliant

The man I alluded to might not be :-)

--
*Art

René

Nov 4, 2004, 1:03:38 PM11/4/04
Arthur Hagen wrote:
> I don't know about you guys, but it makes me think of a certain figure
> of authority listening to a kid reading "My billy goat".

+1

--
TO HELL WITH WAR!

ack...@concentric.net

Nov 4, 2004, 2:52:45 PM11/4/04

The Pet Goat (part of a classroom text book)

> > Which is all very very good, but IMHO the best bit is that
> > "Is that my Moo-Cow" (a cardboard kid's picture book) will
> > be published as a companion book to Thud!
>
> Make sure that the authority figure mentioned above gets a copy.

Perhaps delivered and read to him by on Susan Sto-Helit

> > the man is brilliant
>
> The man I alluded to might not be :-)

He isn't, and he's got an ambitious plan for the next two years, before
he becomes lame duck (quack!) I don't think many of us are going to
like it.

redtiger

Nov 4, 2004, 8:04:13 PM11/4/04

"Jade" <jtr1...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

Excellent! After reading the speculation quotes on lspace I thought we would
never get to hear any more about the junior Vimes. I can't wait to see what
Pterry does with these characters.

/me doing dance of joy/

Anthony

--
Beware of the dog!
The cat is also untrustworthy.

Laura Donaghy

Nov 5, 2004, 3:54:05 PM11/5/04
"redtiger" <redt...@iinet.net.au> wrote in message news:<418ad18b$0$6567$5a62...@per-qv1-newsreader-01.iinet.net.au>...

The full article is here:
http://www.sfrevu.com/ISSUES/2004/0409/Article.php?asin=0409TPI
Yes, it is it is a lovely idea but - political murder and a civil
war... that sounds unsettlingly like Vetinari dying...

ack...@concentric.net

Nov 5, 2004, 4:31:28 PM11/5/04

Keep in mind there are other powerful families in AM as well as the
Guilds. Knock off the right person at the right moment and it's
political murder as opposed to just another murder. There's also the
board game, which suggested to me something about dwarves and trolls.
There's also the continuing integration of AM which, in the roundworld
usually leads to friction.

In GP Vetinari declares, perhaps tongue-in-cheek that he /is/ a tyrant,
which may not have sat well with some. I'm sure enough guessing could
go on to fill dozens of threads, but I think I'll just stick with other
reading. When Thud comes out, I'll be there.

Laura Donaghy

Nov 6, 2004, 1:46:04 PM11/6/04
ack...@concentric.net wrote in message news:<1099690288.2...@c13g2000cwb.googlegroups.com>...

People have been referring to Vetinari as a despot for ages, but GP
was our first real glimpse of *just how much* he controls.
Yes, there are other powerful families, but can you see anyone
fighting because someone shot Ronnie Rust? Dancing in the streets,
maybe, but...

And the fact that it's called 'Thud' made me think of the board game
as well. The second round of the Battle of Koom Valley might just
happen in Ankh-Morpork. Maybe it's a troll or dwarf dignitary who gets
knocked off? Most likely dwarf since I don't think trolls are quite
that organised. And did you notice the myriad T5E references in GP?
Could be one of the Low King's ambassadors.

You're right, guessing *could* go on for dozens of threads but it's
still nice to speculate.

Brian Wakeling

Nov 6, 2004, 6:57:41 PM11/6/04
In a speech called
d40a505e.04110...@posting.google.com,
Laura Donaghy uttered thus:

> ack...@concentric.net wrote in message

>> Laura Donaghy wrote:
>>> "redtiger" <redt...@iinet.net.au> wrote in message

<snip what might happen in Thud!>

> You're right, guessing *could* go on for dozens of threads
> but it's
> still nice to speculate.

It may be nice to speculate, but it's not allowed here. PTerry
has said that he doesn't want to have to discard an idea for a
future book because it's been discussed here or on abp, and
there's a remote danger of someone saying "you stole my idea!"
The last few posts have come dangerously close to, if not
stepped in, the treacherous waters of specualtion. Please stop
it.

--
Sabremeister Brian :-)
Use b dot wakeling at virgin dot net to reply

Laura Donaghy

Nov 7, 2004, 3:05:21 PM11/7/04
"Brian Wakeling" <bpwak...@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:<2v56n8F...@uni-berlin.de>...

> In a speech called
> d40a505e.04110...@posting.google.com,
> Laura Donaghy uttered thus:
> > ack...@concentric.net wrote in message

> <snip what might happen in Thud!>
> > You're right, guessing *could* go on for dozens of threads
> > but it's
> > still nice to speculate.
>
> It may be nice to speculate, but it's not allowed here. PTerry
> has said that he doesn't want to have to discard an idea for a
> future book because it's been discussed here or on abp, and
> there's a remote danger of someone saying "you stole my idea!"
> The last few posts have come dangerously close to, if not
> stepped in, the treacherous waters of specualtion. Please stop
> it.

Oh god, I forgot about that. Whoops. But if it's already being written
then how could he steal? That'll be my argument anyway. I'll shut up
anyway. *off to a forum*

Brian Wakeling

Nov 9, 2004, 6:32:02 PM11/9/04
In a speech called
d40a505e.04110...@posting.google.com,
Laura Donaghy uttered thus:
> "Brian Wakeling" <bpwak...@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> In a speech called
>> d40a505e.04110...@posting.google.com,
>> Laura Donaghy uttered thus:
>>> You're right, guessing *could* go on for dozens of threads
>>> but it's
>>> still nice to speculate.
>>
>> It may be nice to speculate, but it's not allowed here.
>> PTerry
>> has said that he doesn't want to have to discard an idea
>> for a
>> future book because it's been discussed here or on abp, and
>> there's a remote danger of someone saying "you stole my
>> idea!"
>> The last few posts have come dangerously close to, if not
>> stepped in, the treacherous waters of specualtion. Please
>> stop
>> it.
>
> Oh god, I forgot about that. Whoops. But if it's already
> being written
> then how could he steal? That'll be my argument anyway.
> I'll shut up
> anyway. *off to a forum*

Thud! may indeed by written and complete and only ten minutes
away from the bookshelves, but if it doesn't contain what has
been guessed at further up thread, it might present
difficulties if ever PTerry wants to write about a certain
Dwarf VIP coming to A-M and being assassinated.

--
Sabremeister Brian :-)
Use b dot wakeling at virgin dot net to reply
http://freespace.virgin.net/b.wakeling/index.html

You know you've been off Usenet too long when you start saying
things like "as far as I can tell", instead of
"ay-eff-ay-eye-see-tee".
- Me, April 2004

Terry Pratchett

Nov 19, 2004, 4:18:32 AM11/19/04
In message <cmdfb6$j72$1...@cauldron.broomstick.com>, Arthur Hagen
<a...@broomstick.com> writes
All right, I give up. What's this about?
--
Terry Pratchett

Terry Pratchett

Nov 19, 2004, 6:00:52 AM11/19/04
In message <d40a505e.04110...@posting.google.com>, Laura
Donaghy <lauradon...@yahoo.co.uk> writes

Huge spoiler ahead

Oh shit. A bullseye.

I think I've got to say this. What might be called Koom Valley Mk 2
*is* vital to the plot of the book and the death of an important dwarf
does start the plot moving.

Fortunately the book is all planned and half written, and my publishers
have for some time had a synopsis that covers these points. Even so, I
hope I will be excused for saying 'oh bugger'.

--
Terry Pratchett

Rocky Frisco

Nov 19, 2004, 2:48:04 PM11/19/04
Terry Pratchett wrote:

> All right, I give up. What's this about?

What Bush was doing when the towers came down.

-Rock http://www.rocky-frisco.com
--
Rocky Frisco's LIBERTY website: http://www.liberty-in-our-time.com/
World's best free News Service: http://www.rationalreview.com/news/

The Roach

Nov 19, 2004, 3:03:30 PM11/19/04
Begin by imagining that tprat...@unseen.demon.co.uk might have
said...

> In message <cmdfb6$j72$1...@cauldron.broomstick.com>, Arthur Hagen
> <a...@broomstick.com> writes
> >Jade <jtr1...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> >I don't know about you guys, but it makes me think of a certain figure of
> >authority listening to a kid reading "My billy goat".

(...)

> >Make sure that the authority figure mentioned above gets a copy.
> >
> >> the man is brilliant
> >
> >The man I alluded to might not be :-)
> >
> All right, I give up. What's this about?

A certain head of state who, when informed about a major terrorist
attack on a major landmark in his own country, stayed in the school
class he was visiting at the time of the attack.

Pictures of the events have been going around the world ever since
september 11th, 2001.

--
yIn nI' yISIQ 'ej yIchep
The Roach

Laura Donaghy

Nov 19, 2004, 4:43:04 PM11/19/04
Terry Pratchett <tprat...@unseen.demon.co.uk> wrote in message news:<IApDjnOk...@unseen.demon.co.uk>...
> Oh shit. A bullseye.

<snip> [spoiler]

> Fortunately the book is all planned and half written, and my publishers
> have for some time had a synopsis that covers these points. Even so, I
> hope I will be excused for saying 'oh bugger'.

Ah. Er... sorry for forcing you into a spoiler. Can't wait for 'Thud'. (:D)
But wow - I actually got it right? Cool! (!!!!)

Richard Adams

Nov 19, 2004, 10:57:51 PM11/19/04

I plead insanity.

Buggrit, buggrit, buggrem.

Sarah Warren

Nov 19, 2004, 12:56:31 PM11/19/04
"Terry Pratchett"

> Even so, I
> hope I will be excused for saying 'oh bugger'.

On reflection, you're excused ;-)

I'm looking forward to the new book being published on
the grounds that it means GP will be close to coming out
in PB... :-)

Torak

Nov 20, 2004, 8:04:49 AM11/20/04
Rocky Frisco wrote:
> Terry Pratchett wrote:
>
>> All right, I give up. What's this about?
>
> What Bush was doing when the towers came down.

He was doing a moo-cow?

minmei

Nov 20, 2004, 8:10:35 AM11/20/04

"Torak" <and...@andrew-perry.com> wrote in message
thought it was a goat?

Louann Miller

Nov 20, 2004, 3:43:53 PM11/20/04
On 19 Nov 2004 13:43:04 -0800, lauradon...@yahoo.co.uk (Laura
Donaghy) wrote:

>> Oh shit. A bullseye.
>
><snip> [spoiler]
>
>> Fortunately the book is all planned and half written, and my publishers
>> have for some time had a synopsis that covers these points. Even so, I
>> hope I will be excused for saying 'oh bugger'.
>
>Ah. Er... sorry for forcing you into a spoiler. Can't wait for 'Thud'. (:D)
>But wow - I actually got it right? Cool! (!!!!)

If you were dumb, you wouldn't be a Pratchett fan.

Richard Adams

Nov 20, 2004, 5:22:49 PM11/20/04

He was reading 'The Pet Goat', part of a classroom text book. I think
he was distracted from the national emergency by some of the more
difficult words in the book, like 'pet' and 'goat'

Rocky Frisco

Nov 20, 2004, 10:26:44 PM11/20/04
Torak wrote:

He was exploring the philosophical significance of a pet goat, with
some small fry.

My favorite graphic parody of the event was the one where he's holding
the goat book upside down.

Laura Donaghy

Nov 21, 2004, 7:51:58 AM11/21/04
Louann Miller <loua...@yahoo.net> wrote in message news:<m3bvp09pmfjno0pje...@4ax.com>...

Tell my maths teacher - 5th year is a /bad/ year to suddenly start failing...
Anyway, thanks.

Laura Donaghy

Nov 21, 2004, 7:53:08 AM11/21/04
"Sarah Warren" <kass...@yahoo.dk> wrote in message news:<308k5eF...@uni-berlin.de>...

I'm looking forward to 'Thud' on the grounds that it means 'Thud' will
be coming out. Since I got hooked on DW, I've just had to have each
new book as soon as it comes out.

Lister

Nov 21, 2004, 7:55:51 AM11/21/04
The time, 21 Nov 2004 04:51:58 -0800 , The place, alt.fan.pratchett
. lauradon...@yahoo.co.uk (Laura Donaghy) chose this moment to
say the following

By saying 5th year, I assume you're in Scotland? (where 6th year is
the last year of high school)

--
All around me are familiar faces
Worn out places, worn out faces

Laura Donaghy

Nov 21, 2004, 5:12:29 PM11/21/04
Lister <fromt...@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message news:<1041q05ir82nvpc0j...@4ax.com>...

> The time, 21 Nov 2004 04:51:58 -0800 , The place, alt.fan.pratchett
> . lauradon...@yahoo.co.uk (Laura Donaghy) chose this moment to
> say the following
>
> >Louann Miller <loua...@yahoo.net> wrote in message news:<m3bvp09pmfjno0pje...@4ax.com>...

> >> If you were dumb, you wouldn't be a Pratchett fan.
> >
> >Tell my maths teacher - 5th year is a /bad/ year to suddenly start failing...
> >Anyway, thanks.
>

> By saying 5th year, I assume you're in Scotland? (where 6th year is
> the last year of high school)

No, Northern Ireland - 5th year is GCSE year, two before the end.

Lister

Nov 21, 2004, 6:41:04 PM11/21/04
The time, 21 Nov 2004 14:12:29 -0800 , The place, alt.fan.pratchett

. lauradon...@yahoo.co.uk (Laura Donaghy) chose this moment to
say the following

>> By saying 5th year, I assume you're in Scotland? (where 6th year is
>> the last year of high school)
>
>No, Northern Ireland - 5th year is GCSE year, two before the end.

Ah, alright then