[F] Just a thought - Hogswatch BBQ meet

Torak

Sep 28, 2008, 2:17:04 PM9/28/08
A while ago I pondered having a sort of
DWCon08NostalgiaMeetHogswatchMicroCon [1] up here in Scotland in
December, but it seemed to fit neither people's timings nor their
budgets.

(That said, I'm now thinking of something similar at Easter - would
there be any interest?)

So then I thought of another idea. Much simpler, and vastly cheaper;
basically just convincing a few people to take a weekend holiday to
southwest Scotland, and having a Hogswatch barbecue while they're
here. We've got two cottages we rent out, and one of them's unoccupied
[2], so there's three rooms of free crash space for those so inclined.

To quote from my original posting of the idea:

"OPTION TWO: Have a Hogswatch barbecue here at home, with free crash
space in Cottage 2 (which is unoccupied for the moment pending
renovation). There's space for 6 very comfortably, 9 quite
comfortably, 12 uncomfortably and, oh, 30 or so if people don't feel
the urge to breathe. But then, if experience is any guide, people
won't spend much time sleeping anyway, so it all works out.

"Would anyone be interested in either of those? I'll probably look
into Option One [3] next year anyway, but if I'm going to do a
Hogswatch barbecue in December I should start planning now. (And don't
worry, it's a large garden. The kind of garden more commonly referred
to as "grounds", probably. Unkempt, but big. ;-)"

In other words, perhaps a dozen DW fans, a bonfire, a barbecue... I'm
quite happy to play tour guide and show off the local ice cream
factory (yum), the local brewery (Sulwath - very good, or so I'm
told), and the local castles, which I like. There's a town consisting
largely of bookshops about forty minutes' drive away, too.

BYOB[4].

So, if anyone's interested - particularly people I know, of course -
let me know. It would be fun. Any takers? At all?

[1] - See <http://community.livejournal.com/discworld_2008/42838.html>
for more details
[2] - It's pending renovation, so it's unfurnished and a bit scruffy,
but it's got walls and a roof and it's free.
[3] - The micro-con.
[4] - Bring Your Own Bacon. Or burgers. Or whatever.
[5] - Yes, this is a blatant attempt to construct a social life. The
nearest neighbour is half a mile away and says "moo" a lot. ;-)

Random C

Sep 28, 2008, 3:26:16 PM9/28/08

Scotland, books, beer and bacons? Sounds good to me. Hunteeeeer!

Lister

Sep 28, 2008, 5:08:20 PM9/28/08
On Sun, 28 Sep 2008 12:26:16 -0700 (PDT), Random C
<heidi...@gmail.com> wrote:

>> [3] - The micro-con.
>> [4] - Bring Your Own Bacon. Or burgers. Or whatever.
>> [5] - Yes, this is a blatant attempt to construct a social life. The
>> nearest neighbour is half a mile away and says "moo" a lot. ;-)
>
>Scotland, books, beer and bacons? Sounds good to me. Hunteeeeer!

I'm going to say !yes" to this one :)

Lister

Sep 28, 2008, 5:11:52 PM9/28/08
On Sun, 28 Sep 2008 11:17:04 -0700 (PDT), Torak <awmp...@gmail.com>
wrote:

>let me know. It would be fun. Any takers? At all?
>

>[1] - See <http://community.livejournal.com/discworld_2008/42838.html>
>for more details
>[2] - It's pending renovation, so it's unfurnished and a bit scruffy,
>but it's got walls and a roof and it's free.
>[3] - The micro-con.
>[4] - Bring Your Own Bacon. Or burgers. Or whatever.
>[5] - Yes, this is a blatant attempt to construct a social life. The
>nearest neighbour is half a mile away and says "moo" a lot. ;-)

I can probably make that. Remind me near the time

Orjan

Sep 28, 2008, 7:13:15 PM9/28/08
"Lister" <fa...@SPAMclara.net> wrote in message

So that's a no, then?

Orjan
--
The Tale of Westala and Villtin
http://tale.cunobaros.com/

raymond larsson

Sep 28, 2008, 10:22:30 PM9/28/08
In article <b08f9a1a-ce85-4941-8f8e-
f2169f...@a70g2000hsh.googlegroups.com>, heidi...@gmail.com
says...

> Scotland, books, beer and bacons? Sounds good to me.

Scotland, books, bacons, and Random_C? Sounds good to me. Except for the
high prairie, taiga, tundra, sea, icecap, ocean, and bits of stony
ground between there and nigh.

--
rgl awed by her reputation

Eric Jarvis

Sep 29, 2008, 6:35:31 AM9/29/08
In article <MPG.2349f7b34...@news.sasktel.net>,
ragl...@sasktel.net says...

There are methods of travelling other than walking and swimming. Whilst
most are somewhat more pricy they involve far less intimate contact with
high prairie, taiga, tundra, sea, icecap, ocean and the less accessible
bits of stony ground.

--
eric
Live fast, die only if strictly necessary.

Torak

Sep 29, 2008, 8:06:57 AM9/29/08
On Sep 28, 10:11 pm, Lister <fa...@SPAMclara.net> wrote:
> On Sun, 28 Sep 2008 11:17:04 -0700 (PDT), Torak <awmpe...@gmail.com>

> wrote:
>
> >let me know. It would be fun. Any takers? At all?
>
> I can probably make that. Remind me near the time

Which reminds me - date.

The main options, I suppose, are the weekends of the 6th and the 13th.
The 13th could also mean lussekatter and pepparkakor.

How do those dates sound to people? Which would work best?

Torak

Sep 29, 2008, 8:13:24 AM9/29/08
On Sep 29, 11:35 am, Eric Jarvis <ericjar...@gmail.com> wrote:
> ragleg...@sasktel.net says...
> > f2169fd2e...@a70g2000hsh.googlegroups.com>, heidi.li...@gmail.com

> > > Scotland, books, beer and bacons? Sounds good to me.
>
> > Scotland, books, bacons, and Random_C? Sounds good to me. Except for the
> > high prairie, taiga, tundra, sea, icecap, ocean, and bits of stony
> > ground between there and nigh.
>
> There are methods of travelling other than walking and swimming. Whilst
> most are somewhat more pricy they involve far less intimate contact with
> high prairie, taiga, tundra, sea, icecap, ocean and the less accessible
> bits of stony ground.

And they almost all have songs written about them. I was going to
throw in a suitable quote, but I'm spoilt for choice...

Leaving... on a jet plane...
You can get here by railway...
Ain't no mountain high, ain't no valley low, ain't no river wide
enough...
Hit the road, Jack...
I'm walkin'.. yes indeed, I'm talkin'...

But now I've got to try to figure out where that lot of cruel and
unusual geography would put Raymond.... Southeast Asia somewhere?

Lister

Sep 29, 2008, 9:05:12 AM9/29/08
On Mon, 29 Sep 2008 00:13:15 +0100, "Orjan" <nos...@cunobaros.com>
wrote:

>"Lister" <fa...@SPAMclara.net> wrote in message
>> On Sun, 28 Sep 2008 12:26:16 -0700 (PDT), Random C
>> <heidi...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>>Scotland, books, beer and bacons? Sounds good to me. Hunteeeeer!
>>
>> I'm going to say !yes" to this one :)
>
>So that's a no, then?

Oh ha ha. No, I can make it :)

Lesley Weston

Sep 29, 2008, 12:10:44 PM9/29/08

Hint: One of the obstacles he mentions is a very cold piece of ocean
claimed by Russia, America, Denmark and probably others, but really
belonging, complete with its mineral rights, to Canada.

Lesley.

Torak

Sep 29, 2008, 12:46:29 PM9/29/08
On Sep 29, 5:10 pm, Lesley Weston <brightly_coloured_b...@yahoo.co.uk>
wrote:

> Torak wrote:
> > On Sep 29, 11:35 am, Eric Jarvis <ericjar...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >> ragleg...@sasktel.net says...
> >> There are methods of travelling other than walking and swimming. Whilst
> >> most are somewhat more pricy they involve far less intimate contact with
> >> high prairie, taiga, tundra, sea, icecap, ocean and the less accessible
> >> bits of stony ground.

<snip>

> > But now I've got to try to figure out where that lot of cruel and
> > unusual geography would put Raymond.... Southeast Asia somewhere?
>
> Hint: One of the obstacles he mentions is a very cold piece of ocean
> claimed by Russia, America, Denmark and probably others, but really
> belonging, complete with its mineral rights, to Canada.

Ah. Kielder Water.

Eric Jarvis

Sep 29, 2008, 1:08:00 PM9/29/08
In article <600c9a70-b7f4-41ce-bd5e-
cf8be2...@c65g2000hsa.googlegroups.com>, awmp...@gmail.com says...

The 13th is favourite so far.

Lister

Sep 29, 2008, 6:07:00 PM9/29/08
On Mon, 29 Sep 2008 05:06:57 -0700 (PDT), Torak <awmp...@gmail.com>
wrote:

>On Sep 28, 10:11 pm, Lister <fa...@SPAMclara.net> wrote:

I won't know for sure till nearer the time, but I think I can make it

Torak

Oct 1, 2008, 10:17:44 AM10/1/08
On Sep 28, 7:17 pm, Torak <awmpe...@gmail.com> wrote:
<Hogswatch barbecue>

> In other words, perhaps a dozen DW fans, a bonfire, a barbecue... I'm
> quite happy to play tour guide and show off the local ice cream
> factory (yum), the local brewery (Sulwath - very good, or so I'm
> told), and the local castles, which I like. There's a town consisting
> largely of bookshops about forty minutes' drive away, too.
>
> So, if anyone's interested - particularly people I know, of course -
> let me know. It would be fun. Any takers? At all?

Right; a few days down the line, and the plans are starting to come
together.

DATE: 13th-14th December unless there are hideous objections. If
anyone wants to arrive on the Friday, that's no problem, and I'll
point you at your choice of a good chippie, a good pizzeria, a good
cheap pub or a good not-quite-as-cheap pub.

PLACE: Southwest Scotland, near Kirkcudbright

WHAT: Bonfire and barbecue. I'll try to stock up on burgers, bacon,
venison, duck, Irn-Bru and whatever as budget permits, but it's well
worth bringing a stash of your own just in case.

CRASH SPACE: 3 rooms in cottage (there's a living room there too, but
since it's the main route through to the kitchen and bathroom it's
probably not ideal for kip). I'm going over to measure it in the next
day or two to see whether each room can take four or five camp beds.
I'll *try* to provide camp beds. When the spaces are gone, they're
gone, unless people are happy to shuffle up a bit.
If more people want to come than I can fit in the cottage - well,
I'll be bloody impressed by attendance, for a start, and there's a
very nice (and quite cheap) hotel down in the village.

STUFF TO DO: Apart from the bonfire and barbecue, if there's any time
left over at either end there's plenty to see in the area. Sulwath
brewery tours, Bladnoch distillery tours, castles, Cream O' Galloway
ice cream factory tours, Wigtown and its bookshops...

PARKING: There's space for probably four or five extra cars in the
drive; I'll get the strimmer out and clear some space in the paddock
for parking if we need more space.

PLANNING: I need to know who's coming, so let me know by email (my
Gmail address attached to this post will work, *IF* you include the
word "HOGSWATCH" in the subject line). I need to know number of
people, number of cars and when you'll be arriving. As long as I know
at least a week beforehand it'll be fine, but obviously I might be out
of crash space by then.

My first attempt at planning an AFPmeet. This should be fun. :-D

Lister

Oct 1, 2008, 12:36:48 PM10/1/08
On Wed, 1 Oct 2008 07:17:44 -0700 (PDT), Torak <awmp...@gmail.com>
wrote:

>On Sep 28, 7:17 pm, Torak <awmpe...@gmail.com> wrote:

Yeah, I can *try* and make that, since I lice reasonably close

ingenious paradox

Oct 5, 2008, 6:01:59 PM10/5/08
On Mon, 29 Sep 2008 09:46:29 -0700 (PDT), Torak <awmp...@gmail.com>
wrote:

>> Hint: One of the obstacles he mentions is a very cold piece of ocean

>> claimed by Russia, America, Denmark and probably others, but really
>> belonging, complete with its mineral rights, to Canada.
>
>Ah. Kielder Water.

<snort>

...just in case nobody else is left up here...

Julie
durum durum, durum, durum durum durum, durum duruuuuuuum...

Message has been deleted

Bonzai Kitten

Oct 11, 2008, 10:56:43 AM10/11/08

Dammit! Why do I live in Australia again?

Arthur Hagen

Oct 11, 2008, 2:11:28 PM10/11/08

Your great-great-grandparents got deported as criminal delinquents?
You love sheep, spiders and snakes?
You prefer Vegemite to Marmite?
You moved there to be closer to Angus Young?
You moved there to be closer to Dame Edna?

No, you tell us. ;-)

Regards,
--
*Art

SteveD

Oct 12, 2008, 1:54:47 AM10/12/08
On Sat, 11 Oct 2008 07:56:43 -0700 (PDT), Bonzai Kitten
<The.Bonz...@gmail.com> wrote:

>Dammit! Why do I live in Australia again?

The weather's very nice, Bruce. Crack a tube.

-SteveD

John Wilkins

Oct 12, 2008, 2:46:48 AM10/12/08
SteveD <use...@vo.id.au> wrote:

Australia! Australia! We love ya! Amen!

--
New Bruce, Philosophy, University of Queensland
scienceblogs.com/evolvingthoughts

Bonzai Kitten

Oct 12, 2008, 6:47:46 AM10/12/08
On Oct 12, 5:11 am, Arthur Hagen <a...@broomstick.com> wrote:
> On Sat, 2008-10-11 at 07:56 -0700, Bonzai Kitten wrote:
> > On Oct 2, 1:17 am, Torak <awmpe...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > > My first attempt at planning an AFPmeet. This should be fun. :-D
>
> > Dammit! Why do I live in Australia again?
>
> Your great-great-grandparents got deported as criminal delinquents?

No, that's the posh buggers. My lot came out coz they were either
starving (irish) or chasing gold (scottish, welsh, slavic and the rest
of em) or it only cost them a fiver (english).

> You love sheep, spiders and snakes?

Good point.

> You prefer Vegemite to Marmite?

Another excellent point.

> You moved there to be closer to Angus Young?
> You moved there to be closer to Dame Edna?

Why on earth would I consider moving? :D

Lesley Weston

Oct 12, 2008, 2:37:45 PM10/12/08

No, it'll be the Tim Tams.

Lesley.

Torak

Oct 16, 2008, 9:35:21 AM10/16/08
On Oct 11, 3:32 pm, John Ewing <j...@gelsalba.co.uk> wrote:
> On Sun, 28 Sep 2008 11:17:04 -0700 (PDT), Torak <awmpe...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> [snip]

> >In other words, perhaps a dozen DW fans, a bonfire, a barbecue... I'm
> >quite happy to play tour guide and show off the local ice cream
> >factory (yum), the local brewery (Sulwath - very good, or so I'm
> >told),
>
> I can assure you that the beer is very good :-) Unfortunately the
> brewery is small, and thus the beer is difficult to find here in
> Glasgow.

It's only an hour or so's drive down from Glasgow - come on down, buy
yourself a twelve-pack to take back. ;-)

Incidentally, I was advised to set up a Facebook event for it, which
seems to be a nice easy way of handling attendance - if anyone's on
Facebook and wants to attend, let me know. :-)

Torak

Nov 2, 2008, 7:57:00 PM11/2/08

<Hogswatch barbecue>

Right, time to start planning for it, which means I need to send
directions to those who are coming.

If you're planning to attend, could you let me know by email as soon
as possible?

Those who have signed up for the Facebook event thing - I still
haven't quite got used to Facebook - I still need to know your email
address, number of cars, and so on.

Torak

Nov 28, 2008, 5:12:50 PM11/28/08
On Nov 3, 1:57 am, Torak <awmpe...@gmail.com> wrote:

> > > In other words, perhaps a dozen DW fans, a bonfire, a barbecue... I'm
> > > quite happy to play tour guide and show off the local ice cream
> > > factory (yum), the local brewery (Sulwath - very good, or so I'm
> > > told), and the local castles, which I like. There's a town consisting
> > > largely of bookshops about forty minutes' drive away, too.

Well, it's a fortnight before the event. I've got about eight or nine
signed up at the moment, and I'm about to send out the pre-barbecue
checklist thing. Last chance to sign up - anyone who's not emailed me
or signed up for the Facebook event, I need to know by tomorrow night.
Eight or nine's probably a good number, actually, but still - we can
fit in two or three more if necessary.

So, last call. Anyone?

Thomas Zahr

Nov 29, 2008, 3:32:53 PM11/29/08
Am Fri, 28 Nov 2008 14:12:50 -0800 schrieb Torak:

>So, last call. Anyone?

I won't make it, have a lot of fun [1]

[1] or should that be spelled beer?

--