[Disney/Saban/PR] The Press Release- Saban Library goes to Disney; FFC becomes ABC Family

Batman192

Jul 23, 2001, 10:42:50 AM7/23/01
Well, here it is, and its official, Fox Family Worldwide is indeed being bought
by D. Here is the press release which finally confirms the rumors going on
since Friday. It specifically mentions MMPR and Digimon as part of the Saban
Library Disney is acquiring, as well as Spider-man and Beetleborgs. It's
interesting to note that it does include Beetleborgs, since that show hasn't
been on in 3 years. Anyway, there's a lot of information in this release about
the specifics of the deal, and it should be complete once it clears antitrust
reviews, which it will probably do very easily.

Batm...@aol.com
------------------------------
From AOL News
The Walt Disney Co. to Purchase Fox Family Worldwide; Includes Fox Family
Channel, International Fox Kids Channels and the Saban Library

BURBANK, Calif.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--July 23, 2001--The Walt Disney Co. will
purchase 100 percent of Fox Family Worldwide from News Corp. and Haim Saban, it
was announced today by Michael D. Eisner, chairman and CEO, and Robert A. Iger,
president and COO.

Among the businesses being purchased by Disney are:

-- The Fox Family Channel, which currently reaches approximately

81 million cable and satellite television subscribers

throughout the U.S. and will be renamed ABC Family;

-- A 76% ownership interest in Fox Kids Europe, which reaches

more than 24 million subscribers across Europe and will

eventually be recast under the Disney brand;

-- Fox Kids channels in Latin America, which are currently seen

by approximately 10 million subscribers and which also will

take advantage of the Disney brand;

-- The Saban Library and Entertainment Productions business, with

its more than 6,500 episodes of animated and live-action

children's and family-friendly programming.

The transaction consists of $3 billion in cash, plus the assumption of $2.3
billion in debt. It is projected to close in three to four months, subject to
antitrust approvals both in and outside the U.S.

"This acquisition strengthens our company's worldwide business of family
entertainment," Eisner said. "The Family Channel and Fox Kids are unique assets
that are particularly well suited to be a part of The Walt Disney Company. The
Fox Family Channel is one of the few fully distributed stand-alone channels and
gives us a platform for launching ABC Family and strengthening our position as
the leading provider of family television programming.

"In creating a new and vibrant family-oriented channel, we also will use the
strong programs and brands from ABC and ESPN, as well as Disney-branded
services and content from the unparalleled Disney libraries. Using the combined
resources of ABC Television and the ABC Cable Networks Group, ABC Family will
bring broadcast and cable to a new level of integration, enabling our ABC and
cable affiliates to offer viewers new and exciting programming options," Eisner
added.

Said Iger, "The acquisition of the Fox Kids international channels strengthens
our presence in important markets in Europe and Latin America and enhances our
vast potential for growth outside the U.S. They will provide us with a vehicle
for further distributing our programming and brands internationally on basic
cable.

"These channels will benefit greatly from a combination of Saban and Disney
programming. They will be operated in close cooperation with our 14
international Disney Channels and more than 90 branded time slots on broadcast
television, which air in 42 countries around the world and collectively reach
600 million viewers per month. We believe our newly acquired international
services will grow far beyond their current distribution levels and their
impact on the rest of our international businesses, by virtue of this enhanced
reach, will be profound," Iger added.

The Fox Kids international channels include 14 channels covering 74 countries
in 18 languages throughout Europe, Latin America and Australia, for a total of
35 million subscribers. Included in the arrangement is the Saban Library,
containing more than 6,500 episodes featuring such popular kids' fare as Mighty
Morphin Power Rangers, Digimon, Beetleborgs and Spiderman, as well as serials
and live-action films.

The deal provides Disney with a 76 percent interest in Fox Kids Europe; the
remaining 24 percent is publicly traded on the Amsterdam stock exchange. Fox
Kids Europe will continue to be headed by Ynon Kreiz, who has served as its
chairman and CEO since 1999.

The transaction also includes the television rights to Major League Baseball
games two nights a week during the regular season, plus 8-11 first-round
playoff games.

Eisner added, "This acquisition further solidifies our cable programming and
brand extension strategy, giving us three ABC Television services -- the ABC
Television Network, SoapNet, and the new ABC Family. At ESPN, we have four
domestic channels: ESPN, ESPN2, ESPN Classic, and ESPNEWS, plus ESPN.com, ESPN
The Magazine, and ESPN Zone. And, of course, we have the growing family of
Disney-branded television services: Disney Channel, Toon Disney, and the
soon-to-be-launched Playhouse Disney, coupled with all the other branded
outlets and extensions of the Disney brand."

Noted Iger, "We believe that our newly enlarged portfolio of branded
entertainment television assets is ideally suited to take advantage of the
continued growth of the international cable and satellite market. In addition
to giving us an entry into markets like Scandinavia, Poland and Russia, the
international Fox Kids channels allow us to broaden our branded reach in
markets such as the U.K., France, Germany and Latin America, where we already
have a strong presence. We will eventually put the Disney name on the channels
to take advantage of the strength of our brand."

Disney expects that there will be significant opportunities for consolidating
resources and back-office functions and sharing business infrastructures. For
example, Disney's integrated advertising sales force, ABC Unlimited, which
encompasses ABC, ESPN, SoapNet, and Toon Disney, plus the company's Internet
and publishing businesses, will also support ABC Family.

Disney will explore with its broadcast affiliates ways for them to participate
in ABC Family so they may also benefit from the myriad ways this new channel is
expected to enhance the ABC brand, network and stations. Disney will also work
with the channel's cable affiliates, who have supported this service since the
beginning, to ensure that family-friendly programming retains its role as a
highly valued component of basic cable. Since it debuted a revamped programming
schedule in 1998, Fox Family Channel has received enthusiastic support from
MSOs and satellite distributors.

ABC Family will be managed collaboratively between the ABC Television Network
and the ABC Cable Networks Group. The international channels will report to the
ABC Cable Networks Group, which also has responsibility for the international
Disney Channels, including Toon Disney and Playhouse Disney. ABC Family will
continue to broadcast the 700 Club and other programs produced by the Christian
Broadcast Network, headed by Pat Robertson. The transaction does not include
the Fox Kids domestic programming block currently aired on the Fox broadcast
network.

When fully integrated into Disney, ABC Family will be an outlet for an array of
new family-friendly content from other Disney sources. For example, the company
intends to explore opportunities such as family television features or series
based on the content of Disney-owned magazines such as Family Fun and Discover,
and the Family.com web site, which will be further complemented by the Fox
Family-related web sites that are part of this transaction.

Disney's U.S. Basic Cable Holdings

Network (% of ownership) Subs (in millions)

ESPN (80%) 82.1

Lifetime (50%) 80.4

A&E (37.5%) 80.1

ESPN2 (80%) 76.6

The History Channel (37.5%) 72.9

E! Entertainment (39.6%) 71.2

Disney Channel (100%) 70.9

ESPN Classic (80%) 30.0

Toon Disney (100%) 22.2

ESPNEWS (80%) 20.0

Lifetime Movie Channel (50%) 15.7

Style (39.6%) 9.7

SoapNet (100%) 9.5

Biography (37.5%) 4.0

Subtotal 645.3

ABC Family (100%) 81.0

Total 726.3

Disney's International Cable Holdings

Network Countries reached Subs

(in millions)

Disney Channel International(a) 56 15.4

ESPN International 140 82.0

A&E International n.a. 35.9

The History Channel International n.a. 3.0

Subtotal 136.3

Fox Kids 74 34.7

Total 171.0

(a)Countries/Territories with Disney Channel International:

Australia

Brazil

Brunei

France

Germany

Italy

Latin America

Malaysia

Middle East

Philippines

Singapore

Spain

Taiwan

United Kingdom

CONTACT:

The Walt Disney Co.

John Dreyer, 818/560-5300

KEYWORD: CALIFORNIA FRANCE GERMANY AUSTRALIA BRAZIL ITALY MALAYSIA

HILIPPINES SINGAPORE SPAIN TAIWAN UNITED KINGDOM LATIN AMERICA EUROPE

BW0311 JUL 23,2001

6:50 PACIFIC

9:50 EASTERN
------------------------------

ninjaman6

Jul 23, 2001, 2:05:52 PM7/23/01
Well, if I'm assuming and guessing right, Disney will have the rights
to all of the Power Rangers shows, am I correct or not?

If this is correct, damn, this is such a bad thing now.

It means the worst of things will continue to happen during our lifetimes.

Just Plain Insane

Jul 23, 2001, 2:30:00 PM7/23/01

"Batman192" <batm...@aol.com> wrote in message

> Well, here it is, and its official, Fox Family Worldwide is indeed being
bought
> by D. Here is the press release which finally confirms the rumors going
on
> since Friday. It specifically mentions MMPR and Digimon as part of the
Saban
> Library Disney is acquiring, as well as Spider-man and Beetleborgs. It's
> interesting to note that it does include Beetleborgs, since that show
hasn't
> been on in 3 years. Anyway, there's a lot of information in this release
about
> the specifics of the deal, and it should be complete once it clears
antitrust
> reviews, which it will probably do very easily.
> games two nights a week during the regular season, plus 8-11 first-round
> playoff games.

If I see one reference to Mickey Mouse in PR I will vomit

Formerly-Digiranger Greymon
Lord Pervert of AFP-R
Webmaster of http://www.justplaininsane.net
-
Never knock on Death's door.
Ring the doorbell and run ( he hates that )
-
Get a Grip, Get a Job, Get a life, GET HOUSEBROKEN!

ShadowWing

Jul 23, 2001, 4:07:34 PM7/23/01

Just Plain Insane wrote

>If I see one reference to Mickey Mouse in PR I will vomit

Remember when Disney first acquired ABC and every show seemed to go to
Disney World? You think Wild Force will be based somewhere in the Jungle
Adventure ride?

-ShadowWing
Ye gods, Disney wants to rule the world. Think Walt's turning over in his
grave yet?

MegaSilver

Jul 23, 2001, 4:45:16 PM7/23/01
ninjaman6 <sait...@soyokaze.org> wrote in message

I don't think that's what it means. I think it means that Disney has
the rights to the old episodes of PR (i.e., to release, repackage, etc.).
At least I HOPE they don't have all of PR.

Psycho Tangerine

Jul 23, 2001, 6:03:27 PM7/23/01

"ShadowWing" <the...@SPAMBLOCKADEsnet.net> wrote in message
Ah.....I can just hear the new morphing calls now:

Red- Mickey Mouse Power!
Blue- Donald Duck Power!
Green- Goofy Power!
Pink- Minnie Mouse Power!
Yellow- Daisy Duck Power!
Sixth Ranger- Pluto Power!

Eileen (Psycho Tangerine) (and they'll all have mouse ears rather than the
usual helmets :) )

ShadowWing

Jul 23, 2001, 6:09:59 PM7/23/01

Psycho Tangerine wrote

>Ah.....I can just hear the new morphing calls now:
>
>Blue- Donald Duck Power!

You'd be able to understand that? Without a translator? :)

>Eileen (Psycho Tangerine) (and they'll all have mouse ears rather than
>the usual helmets :)

And what if they did do another movie. I wonder which parent would end
up dieing? It's practically a Disney tradition! :)

-ShadowWing
Never realised that until I saw an article online pointing it out.

Ronixis

Jul 23, 2001, 6:28:32 PM7/23/01
"Just Plain Insane" <digirang...@oohay.com> wrote in message news:<3b5c6aee$1...@corp.newsgroups.com>...

> "Batman192" <batm...@aol.com> wrote in message
> > Well, here it is, and its official, Fox Family Worldwide is indeed being
> bought
> > by D. Here is the press release which finally confirms the rumors going
> on
> > since Friday. It specifically mentions MMPR and Digimon as part of the
> Saban
> > Library Disney is acquiring, as well as Spider-man and Beetleborgs. It's
> > interesting to note that it does include Beetleborgs, since that show
> hasn't
> > been on in 3 years. Anyway, there's a lot of information in this release
> about
> > the specifics of the deal, and it should be complete once it clears
> antitrust
> > reviews, which it will probably do very easily.
Its over.
The end of the Kids Industry as we know it.
You can pretty much put the final nail in the coffin.
Any way what can anybody do?
I guess the Zedd has won.
I guess Rita has won.
What has they done to the Childern in this country in the past 10 years?
Sovrenty is dead.

Ronixis

SirSTACK

Jul 23, 2001, 10:23:24 PM7/23/01
"MegaSilver" MegaS...@worldnet.att.net wrote:

> I don't think that's what it means. I think it means that Disney has
>the rights to the old episodes of PR (i.e., to release, repackage, etc.).
>At least I HOPE they don't have all of PR.

Exactly. Saban hasn't been bought out by Disney. Fox Kids hasn't been bought
out by Disney. The distribution of the library of shows, though, is now
their's. There's really only two ways for this to be bad that I see. One, if
Saban decides to make PR Disney-friendly so that it does get distributed well,
or two, they do nothing, and when distributed in reruns, the eps get edited.
Time will tell. They'll probably just not air the episodes, making this no
different than where we are now.

Jesse Lee Herndon
SirS...@aol.com
PRSW (PRTF#23 SW Updated!): http://prsw.cjb.net
PR etc: http://www.tvtome.com/servlets/ShowMainServlet/showid-1905

Burgundy Ranger

Jul 23, 2001, 10:38:19 PM7/23/01
In article <20010723222324...@ng-fc1.aol.com>, SirSTACK
says...

>"MegaSilver" MegaS...@worldnet.att.net wrote:
>
>> I don't think
that's what it means. I think it means that Disney has
>>the rights to the old
episodes of PR (i.e., to release, repackage, etc.).
>>At least I HOPE they don't
have all of PR.

>Exactly. Saban hasn't been bought out by Disney. Fox Kids
hasn't been bought
>out by Disney. The distribution of the library of shows,
though, is now
>their's. There's really only two ways for this to be bad that I
see. One, if
>Saban decides to make PR Disney-friendly so that it does get
distributed well,
>or two, they do nothing, and when distributed in reruns, the
eps get edited.
>Time will tell. They'll probably just not air the episodes,
making this no
>different than where we are now.

Jesse -- the way I read the
press release, Saban Entertainment IS part of the sale. Here's a slimmed-down
version of the one paragraph that has me thinking that way:

As part of the
transaction, Disney will acquire the Fox Family Channel, a fully distributed
cable channel reaching 81 million U.S. homes; *** Saban Entertainment Inc., a
production, distribution and merchandising company with one of the world's
largest libraries of children's programs at over 6,500 half hours; *** a 76%
interest in Fox Kids Europe (Amsterdam Exchange: FKE), which has dedicated cable
and satellite channels reaching 25 million subscribers in 54 countries and 15
languages; and Fox Kids Latin America, the second most widely distributed
satellite/cable network in the region.

=-=-=-=-=

"Go, go, Power Bone Warrior!"

-- The Whelp

SirSTACK

Jul 23, 2001, 11:10:39 PM7/23/01
Burgundy Ranger nos...@newsranger.com wrote:

> Saban Entertainment IS part of the sale.

Selling the company was never part of the original deal. Getting rid of FFW
was. I'd wait for an actual statement from Haim & friends before confirming
that Saban will now be just another Disney-controlled production faction, ala
Buena Vista or Miramax.

Jesse Lee Herndon
SirS...@aol.com
PRSW (PRTF#24 SW Updated!): http://prsw.cjb.net
PR etc: http://www.tvtome.com/servlets/ShowMainServlet/showid-1905

Burgundy Ranger

Jul 23, 2001, 11:37:01 PM7/23/01
In article <20010723231039...@ng-fc1.aol.com>, SirSTACK
says...

>Burgundy Ranger nos...@newsranger.com wrote:
>
>> Saban Entertainment
IS part of the sale.

>Selling the company was never part of the original deal.
Getting rid of FFW
>was. I'd wait for an actual statement from Haim & friends
before confirming
>that Saban will now be just another Disney-controlled
production faction, ala
>Buena Vista or Miramax.

What I quoted from WAS the
official News Corp./Saban news release (although it's not posted on Fox's own
press site!). That sounds like a Saban statement to me.

What's confusing is
that the numerous news reports out there don't have it all straight. The Reuters
reports include FK as part of the deal -- which we know is false. I'm even
laboring through CNN's "Moneyline" show right now, hoping to hear something.
(Lucky me, it's coming on after the next commercial!)

Here's a link to the full
thing (although it's been posted here
already):

http://biz.yahoo.com/bw/010723/2310.html

Burgundy Ranger

Jul 23, 2001, 11:53:10 PM7/23/01
In article <x3677.4804$ar1....@www.newsranger.com>, Burgundy Ranger
says...

Nothing much in the report -- more on how the deal was struck.
They did mention the library and *flashback!* they showed Ashley and Cassie's
Turbo morph!