Darkness @ the End of the Tunnel

cdu...@csupomona.edu

Nov 3, 1994, 7:46:47 PM11/3/94
In article <38hj8i$g...@cmcl2.NYU.EDU>, wco...@is.nyu.edu (William C. Overman) writes:
: [STUFF DELETED FOR BREVITY]

Many people are saying how "Dark @ the End of the Tunnel" was their least
favorite album. That was the first Oingo Boingo album I ever got. The
only song I liked on it was "Skin," and I sold the album back for $5.

I heard other songs from Oingo Boingo on KROQ that I really liked, like
"Little Girls" and "This is the Life." But I waited years to buy another
Oingo Boingo album because I thought "Dark @ the End of the Tunnel" sucked.
Then I heard "Insanity" and I HAD to get the album. "Boingo" is one of my
favorite albums of all time. I became a hard-core Boingo fan at that point.
And shortly after I got the "Best of Oingo Boingo" album, which is also
pretty good, but all the best songs of their past put together don't quite
live up to the songs on the "Boingo" album alone. Danny Elfman has
reached a new level of songwriting.

By the way, I went the Boingo concert on November 1. It was good! The marsh
pit went crazy over "Insanity" and "Dead Man's Party."

--
+------Chris-DuBose------------God-of-Mediocrity-------V6----------*_
| |_*
| GCS/MU d(?) p(-) c+(++) l- u- e+ m@ s--/ | |
| n+ h(*) f*? g+++ w@ t+ r?(++?)? !!!y | |
*------------------------------------------------------------------*_|
\___________________________________________________________________*
I came up with "God of Mediocrity" long before I ever heard the song
"Insanity."

T'Vusa Llewellyn

Nov 3, 1994, 8:31:54 PM11/3/94
Incidentally, it's "mosh pit," not "marsh pit." If it were a marsh pit, it
would be rather wet and icky and have "things with slimy legs crawling
over the slimy sea." [Coleridge, 'Rime of the Ancient Mariner,' very
loosely quoted.]
-T'Vusa "'rime' is how it's spelled" Llewelyn

Lady Ada B

Nov 9, 1994, 11:15:32 PM11/9/94
Every time I've tried to respond to this particular topic, my
connection gets screwed up. I must really want to say this.

Dark has consistently bee one of my favorite albums. "Glory
Be" alone has helped through some rough times. "Is This" has
brought me to tears. And I love feeling "Long Breakdown". Yeah,
it's different from the other stuff, but I'm beginning to realize
that, save 1981-1984, all of the albums are completely
different!

And about "Try To Believe"'s incongruity;
when I hear it, I hear echoes of "Goodbye, Goodbye".
Of course, they sound nothing alike, but I find a
similar 50's/rockabilly feeling. You know what I mean?

Just venting. Thanks.
--Bari

Elmar Kurgpold

Nov 10, 1994, 8:00:06 PM11/10/94
In article <39c2ua$r...@eis.calstate.edu> tll...@eis.calstate.edu (T'Vusa Llewellyn) writes:
|Incidentally, it's "mosh pit," not "marsh pit." If it were a marsh pit, it
|would be rather wet and icky and have "things with slimy legs crawling
|over the slimy sea." [Coleridge, 'Rime of the Ancient Mariner,' very
|loosely quoted.]

So what's your point?

--Elmar

Matt Taylor

Nov 11, 1994, 1:50:32 AM11/11/94
In <1994Nov3.164647@clstac> cdu...@csupomona.edu writes:

I've been in a diehard Boingo fan for a year and a half now. I have all
their albums and...Dark is one of my favorites! Weird you ask? The
following sings are superb and showcase the variety and talent of the
band IMO:
Glory Be
Runaway
Right to Know
Try To Believe
Long Breakdown

Although nothing can ever top Nothing to Fear overall, I really enjoyed
the direction of Dark. I certainly liked it more than the guitar-heavy
new album. No horns=lost identity....

-Matt
P.S. I went to the Oct 30&31 shows...Just Another Day sounded really
damn good, as did everything else. The new version of Insanity was
somehow better.

VBowles

Nov 11, 1994, 7:25:28 PM11/11/94
Llewellyn) writes:

:Incidentally, it's "mosh pit," not "marsh pit." If it were a marsh pit,

it
:would be rather wet and icky and have "things with slimy legs crawling
:over the slimy sea." [Coleridge, 'Rime of the Ancient Mariner,' very
:loosely quoted.]

Sounds somehow apropos for a Boingo concert, though...

-Valerie