Food For Feet

Leonard Megliola III

Sep 29, 1993, 2:45:37 PM9/29/93
Something that I find quite interesting...

A friend of mine is taking an extension class at my school
(University of California, Irvine) and when he returned from his first class
meeting (It is a class on MIDI) he told me that his instructor was a former
member of Food For Feet. The instructor said that Food For Feet broke up,
but they still play together doing cover versions.

Leonard

Red-Elf

Oct 1, 1993, 10:47:49 AM10/1/93

Who is the instructor? The original make up of Food For Feet included Jon
Avila, John Hernandez, and Mike Tovar - but near the end they expanded to five
(with a keyboardist and another guitarist/percussionist (I think that's the way
I remember it).

Ya, and the "semi"-official word from OBHQ is that the DID infact break up
(well as they told me - "there not recording together anymore." -- I think that
it was a label/managment thing.

Oh, this reminds me -- Carl Graves is also in his own band and they have a CD
out (by mail order) -- if anyone is interested, let me know and I will post the
info. BTW - Carl is the new keyboard player (since "Dark") and a former back up
singer for them too.
@@@@@@@ * * Buenos Dias De Los Muertos! * *
@@@@@@@@@ Long Live The Mystic Knights,
@ @@@ @ Elf/n
@@@ @@@
@@@@@ Oingo Boingo Electronic Newsletter/Network
@@@@@

Dan Harkless

Oct 1, 1993, 7:21:23 PM10/1/93
In article <1993Oct1.1...@ultb.isc.rit.edu>,

Red-Elf <eln...@ritvax.isc.rit.edu> wrote:

>Who is the instructor? The original make up of Food For Feet included Jon
>Avila, John Hernandez, and Mike Tovar - but near the end they expanded to five
>(with a keyboardist and another guitarist/percussionist (I think that's the way
>I remember it).

Ah, they added a keyboardist, eh? That explains why a member is
teaching MIDI.

>Ya, and the "semi"-official word from OBHQ is that the DID infact break up
>(well as they told me - "there not recording together anymore." -- I think that
>it was a label/managment thing.

Whoah, I got this thread confused with the 'Elfman leaves O-B typo?'
thread for a minute and started freaking out...

>Oh, this reminds me -- Carl Graves is also in his own band and they have a CD
>out (by mail order) -- if anyone is interested, let me know and I will post the

I'm sure you'll get a flood of replies. Not. Carl Graves is the
worst keyboardist Boingo has ever had. Danny plays keyboards better than Carl
does, and that's not even his main instrument. Carl is totally the weak link
in Boingo shows. All the other members are working their asses off doing their
parts (except, of course, Leon, Sluggo, and Sam during no-brass songs), while
Carl stands there idle behind his keyboards, contributing just the occasional
backup vocal while a tape plays all the keyboard parts.

For me, he really detracts from the show. _I_ could do a far far
better job in his role. Last time I saw them, the only song you could actually
say he _played_ on was "Believe". [Aside: For some reason I never really
noticed until last time I listened to "Music For A Darkened Theater" that the
theme for "Midnight Run" is essentially an instrumental version of "Believe".]

>info. BTW - Carl is the new keyboard player (since "Dark") and a former back up
>singer for them too.

Actually, he's been in the band since before "Dark". Not until after
"Boi-ngo" [I'll have to ask a Vietnamese person how to pronounce that some
time], true, but not as late as "Dark".

| Dan Harkless | "The sore in my soul |
| d...@cafws1.eng.uci.edu | The mark in my heart -> Front 242, |
| dhar...@bonnie.ics.uci.edu | Her acid reign..." Tragedy >For You< |

Laura Najman

Oct 1, 1993, 2:14:08 PM10/1/93
>Oh, this reminds me -- Carl Graves is also in his own band and they have a CD
>out (by mail order) -- if anyone is interested, let me know and I will post the
>info. BTW - Carl is the new keyboard player (since "Dark") and a former back up
>singer for them too.

I don't mean to be anal, but he's not THAT new. He was in the band when Boingo Alive came out...

Laura

Leonard Megliola III

Oct 1, 1993, 11:02:26 PM10/1/93
In article <2CACBB...@news.service.uci.edu>,

Dan Harkless <d...@cafws2.eng.uci.edu> wrote:

> Ah, they added a keyboardist, eh? That explains why a member is
>teaching MIDI.

I'm going to have to agree with this one. He isn't a member of Boingo,
so that automatically excludes Hernandez and Avila, and he isn't Mike Tovar.
He is probably one of those added on later.
After consulting my friend, it turns out the instructor's name is
Christy Coobatis. I'm not as impressed as I would be if he was one of the
original members, but it is still interesting.

Leonard