Corporate Watch (UK) adopting dubious practices?

Bruce Morris

Apr 17, 2011, 7:38:56 AM4/17/11

Any activist group which takes a moral stance over dubious corporate
practices needs to be very careful that it doesn't adopt dubious
practices of its own. Betraying confidences by passing on private
correspondence without the knowledge or consent of the sender is one
such dubious practice - particularly when that private correspondence
is passed to a website with a reputation for publishing private
material regardless (in one case the website in question - MediaLens -
was castigated by George Monbiot, the campaigner and Guardian
journalist, for betraying Monbiot's confidence - they published
details of a private correspondence which he asked them to keep in
confidence. Their rationalisation? That by doing so they were somehow
doing good. Except that they weren't - it was completely self-serving:
http://wp.me/plVmg-34

What of Corporate Watch (UK)? Without my knowledge or consent, they
"shared" a private email of mine with a website (MediaLens) which then
put it in the public domain (again without my knowledge or consent) -
and in a way designed to insinuate the usual ad hominem stuff that
people resort to when they can't or won't address the specifics of an
argument (my email to Corporate Watch had simply expressed my private
view that they were unwise to feature material from MediaLens, given
the latter's persistent attacks on George Monbiot, etc. Since the
email is now in the public domain, I reproduce it below, together with
a link to an archive of the web page where it was originally made
public, following Corporate Watch's act of betraying my confidence).