Books of Magic vs Harry Potter

R.V. Gronoff

Oct 12, 2007, 4:09:53 PM10/12/07

Has JK Rowlings ever admitted that she's found the inspiration (O
euphemism!) for her Harry Potter character from Neil's very own (and
original) Tim Hunter ? Is there a controversy of any sort ?
(BTW, Tim Hunter IS the real McCoy!)

RVG

Good Mistress Mousey Accost

Oct 13, 2007, 3:47:15 PM10/13/07

"R.V. Gronoff" <regis....@ahmadinejadifrance.com> wrote in message

Wow, haven't seen anyone stirring up this bit of fun in a while. Best

http://imdb.com/title/tt0092115/ (This is a movie that Rowling says she may
have seen some years before beginning writing her books - She has admitted
that the name and some of the ideas from the film may have inadvertently
inspired her, though she certainly didn't do it intentionally.)

and here:

http://www.the-trades.com/article.php?id=1626 (Go about 1/4 down the page,
where Neil himself discusses how he feels about the comparison.)

It also wouldn't hurt to look up the entry for Harry Potter on Wikipedia
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harry_Potter_(character)) as the 'character
development' section will tell you more about the development of Harry and
might suggest that coincidence plays a big role in creating parallel
fantasies.

--
squeaks
"How much DO babies I've signed go for on ebay?" - Neil Gaiman

Reg

Nov 3, 2007, 5:25:45 AM11/3/07

"R.V. Gronoff" <regis....@ahmadinejadifrance.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> Has JK Rowlings ever admitted that she's found the inspiration (O
> euphemism!) for her Harry Potter character from Neil's very own (and
> original) Tim Hunter ? Is there a controversy of any sort ?

What?? You mean there's some kind of similarity between the characters of
Harry Potter and Tim Hunter?

Damn and blast! I hadn't noticed that. I must immediately write a letter to
the editor of my local newspaper and nip this Harry Potter thing at the bud!

Sorry, I believe Lucy Anne asked this question back in 1999 on this
newsgroup before Harry Potter became the phenomenon ("Doo do do doodoo!")
that it is now and when she asked the question Neil wasn't on record saying
that he thought it was a case of spontaneous simultaneous creation.

So the answers to your questions are no and not any more.

> (BTW, Tim Hunter IS the real McCoy!)

No. That would be Sylvester and I don't think anyone is claiming that the
Scots light entertainment performer and actor best known as the seventh
Doctor Who has in any way inspired boy wizardism

Reg

"I know nothing stays the same
But if you're willing to pla the game
I will be coming around again."