Transcript: Marilyn Vos Savant on Late Night w/DL

Beast of Bourbon

Sep 27, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/27/98

This is from a show in (I'm guessing) early fall, 1986. It was the week Anton
Fig became the band's new drummer and the same week that Late Night introduced
the Monkey Cam. After the monologue for this show, Dave brought out Stupid
Human Tricks, including a guy who crushed a beer can with his head and another
guy who played "Deck the Halls" with dental floss. Dave's first guest was
Marilyn Vos Savant, who was supposedly the "world's smartest person." (Also on
the show later that night was Gregory Hines, who tap-danced on top of Dave's
desk.)

Note: By [laughter], I mean the audience is laughing. Marilyn usually laughed
along with the audience.

[return from commercial]

Dave: Okay, thank you Paul, and welcome back, folks, and as always, thanks to
the the people who helped us out tonight with our Stupid Human Tricks, it was
very nice of them to do that for us. According to an article in this week's
U.S. Magazine... I'm sorry, this week's US Magazine... my next guest is the
smartest woman in the world. Her IQ... whattya think, Paul? For a smart
woman... smart man... smart anybody...?

Paul: Uh... well, Jill St. John's was 141. [laughter] I gotta go with that.

D: This woman is nearly double that, it's 230... is her IQ score.

P: Wow.

D: That's the highest ever recorded. Please welcome Marilyn Mach Vos Savant.

[Marilyn comes out beaming, her long hair spilling over a glittery New York Jets
jersey. Dave greets her as the audience claps.]

D: Hi Marilyn, how are ya? Nice to see ya. Please, have a seat there.

[They both sit as the applause dies down.]

D: First of all, tell me about your name, Mach Vos Savant. Does that mean
something?

Marilyn: Uh, Vos Savant is my last name.

D: Vos Savant?

M: Mach is just a middle name.

D: Uh huh. Mach, M-A-C-H?

M: It's not a pen name, by the way, Vos Savant. Savant was my grandmother's
name before she married. My grandfather's name was Vos Savant.

D: Vos Savant... but does that have any literal meaning?

M: It's supposed to mean "a wise man," or something like that.

D: Well, that's more... that's a coincidence, then, isn't it?

M: Yeah, it's a *hell* of a coincidence I think. [laughter]

D: Yeah, well, I mean... for the smartest person in the world to actually have
that name.

M: Yeah, right. You know you think I made it up but I didn't.

D: No, no, I didn't think you made that...

M: [condescending] Noo, you didn't think that, noo, you wouldn't think anything
negative of me, would you?

D: [surprised, and laughing nervously, as is the audience] Aheh... aheh... aheh
heh... aheh heh... Now...

M: Did anybody ever tell you... [audience is still giggling]

D: I'm sorry?

M: Did anybody ever tell you, you have sexy teeth?

D: [caught off-guard, blushing] No, I have not heard that, believe me...
[audience hoots and hollers] I've uh... no, I've not heard that.

M: You do, you have sexy teeth.

D: No, I don't. I, well...

M: They're better in person...

[The audience catcalls and applauds as Dave gives them an exaggerated grin,
flashing his famous gap. Marilyn leans forward to look.]

M: You do.

[someone on the side]: The smartest woman in the world!

D: [chuckling] Yeah, that's right.

P: ...says you have sexy teeth.

M: Some people have them, and some people don't. I don't know what it is...

D: I have uh, I have miserable teeth. I mean, they're healthy... [Paul laughs
aloud] They're just odd, they're odd. You know, I can eat things through
fences. [laughter] Not that there's any call for that, but uh... Allright,
now Marilyn, let's get back to you and your... uh... head. [laughter] Uh, what
uh... now how do we know you're the smartest woman in the world?

M: Well, you probably don't know that, I don't think anyone really knows that,
not that many people have taken an IQ test. And so I had the highest score on
the Benet... so far... but this very...

D: [trying to interrupt] Now when did you...

M: ...small minority of people in the world have taken a test, and...
[dramatically] what did Benet know, for heaven's sake? [Paul & Dave both
chuckle as Marilyn rambles] I mean back in 1904, he didn't... [laughter] he
didn't stumble over a Rosetta Stone, he said, "This is what I think I'm gonna
do," and everybody's been imitating him ever since.

D: So you took the test when you were ten?

M: Yes, just after ten.

D: Yeah, and uh, now whattaya do for a living now?

M: I'm a full-time writer. I was in the investment business for a while, and I
stayed in it just long enough to, uh, make enough money to support myself as a
writer.

D: Now, do you do smart things? [laughter] Do you... when...

M: David, in about...

D: ...If I went to dinner with you, would I say, "My god, she really is the
smartest woman in the world!"

M: In about four minutes, I'm gonna do something very smart.

D: What is that?

M: I'm gonna leave. [scattered laughter]

D: [looking around] Jeez, don't let me keep ya. [laughter and applause... Will
Lee plays a clunking riff on his bass] We got a guy here who crushes cans with
his head! [laughter]

M: [giggling] Well, listen, you know I saw the Bo Derek episode a couple of
times and I thought, "Oh my god, this guy's dangerous!"

D: [bothered] Mmmyeah...

M: "Dangerous..."

D: Mmmyeah, yeah, yeah... [band and stage crew laugh]

M: It's fabulous, I gotta see it again.

D: Nuh... [chuckles] I tell ya what, Marilyn, we have to do a uh... what do you
think we have to do here?

M: Heck if I know... something dumb?

D: [chuckles] No, we have to pause for a commercial here.

M: Oh, okay.

D: And then we'll be back to visit more with the smartest person in the world...

[break to commercials]

[return from commercial]

[As camera switches from bumper logo to Dave's desk, Marilyn is seen talking at
him while the music dies down, but he ignores her and looks straight ahead.]

D: Tomorrow on this program, ladies and gentleman, a very talented, funny
comedian and actor, Michael Keaton will be here, comedienne Roseanne Barr, and
Mariel Hemingway will be joining us, that's tomorrow. Later on tonight's
program, Pearl Burnette will be here, and also Gregory Hines. [gestures] This
is, uh, the smartest person in the world. Now do ya, do ya feel smart? I mean,
do you think you're really a smart person? You took the test at ten...

M: Yeah, not...

D: Do you think you're still as smart as you were when you were...?

M: Well, the last time I took a test was a year ago.

D: Mm-hm. Oh, you took the IQ test at ten? I uh... a year ago?

M: Yeah, I've been taking tests on and off ever since...

D: And was your score better or worse since the ten...?

M: Oh, well actually, the last test wasn't norm because only about ten thousand
people took it. I had a record score on that, so they listed that in the
Guinness, but uh... one out of ten thousand is not... I think will maybe come up
to something like about 150 IQ.

D: Yeah. But shouldn't you...

M: So you have to wait until... theoretically... till a million people take it
to get 175 or whatever.

D: Oh, I see. But shouldn't you be doing something more important with your
life, if you're the smartest person in the world? ...be working on the Jarvik-7
or something? [some chuckling] [Ironically, unless Dave was already aware that
they were a couple and I'm not even sure that they were at the time, Marilyn
would later marry Dr. Jarvik, the develepor of the Jarvik-7 artificial heart.]

M: Well... um... I kinda have your philosophy... [suddenly, as Paul is setting
up for the next song, a loud tone from his keyboard goes off, startling Marilyn]
Gulp!

D: What a time to have the piano tuned, you know, it's uh... [laughter] We
called the guy last week, he couldn't be here because of the holidays, and...

P: [contritely] Smartest woman in the world, I'm sorry.

D: [laughter] Paul! Please, a little... [more laughter] Uhhm...

M: That's very deep question. I sort of have the same philosophy you do on
Monday night. I just... don't... care!

D: [chuckles curiously] Oh-kay... Allright, well. [laughter] [Dave picks up
two sheets of paper on his desk] Uh... now it says here, we have some kind of
biographical information on ya...

M: [taken aback] Oh no, I hope you didn't get all the wrong st... oh, well.

D: Well, it came from your office, so I guess you would know.

M: [giggling nervously] Oh, it did not!

D: "She is currently seeing five men..."

M: Oh!

D: ...it says here. "A famous talk show host, an airline pilot, and a
comedian." Now who are these people, and is this...?

M: I didn't say famous talk show host...

D: It says, "Currently seeing five... a famous talk show host..."

M: Yeah.

D: Yeah. Is this smart, to be...

M: I'm not gonna...

D: ...to be seeing five men?

M: ...I am not gonna tell you. I know you're going to ask who the talk show is,
and I'm not gonna tell you.

D: [muttering] Yeah.

M: I have had calls from all over the country, I'm not gonna tell anybody. I
told somebody... I told, uh, Robert, that he got...

D: [fed up] You know, I think I'm smarter than you are. [laughter and wild
applause]

M: [somewhat embarrassed, but laughing] Ha! We... hah! I mean, I think you're
right...

D: [irritated, but smiling] I don't... I don't think you're anywhere near 230,
and regardless of what you are, I'm *ten* points higher than you are.

M: I believe it!

D: Go ahead, ask me anything.

M: I...

D: Ask me anything, I'm *much* smarter than you are.

M: [stunned silence]

D: Ahahahahah! [laughter... Dave is red-faced, smiling, and pointing at
Marilyn] THIS IS NOT THE WORLD'S SMARTEST PERSON!

M: Right. [more laughter and applause]

[Dave loses it. He crumples up the bio sheets and throws them at the windows
behind him which make the famous "smashing glass" noises. With a maniacal grin
on his face, he throws other bits of paper from his desk. Marilyn yelps,
surprised but smiling. The audience cheers wildly. Dave then leans down and
flips a switch.]

D: You know what I'm saying? Well, here. Look! We got one of these! I got...
do you have one of these?!

[A machine behind the window pane turns from side to side, spewing out ping-pong
balls. More cheering.]

M: You didn't let me ask you anything. I get to ask you something.

D: [leaning down to turn off the machine] I'm sorry. [just as Dave sits back
upright, a last ball flies from the machine and bonks the microphone on Dave's
desk... the audience laughs] You know, one time...

M: Don't I get to ask you something?

D: Wait a minute. One time, Marilyn, we had a woman on who claimed to be the
world's fastest typist. And it turned out she was *not* the world's fastest
typist. [laughter]

M: [chuckling] ...the fastest...

D: So I'm a little... forgive me if I'm a little skeptical.

M: Okay.

D: But you know what I'm saying. It's just, how do we know, you know? Like,
uh...

M: Don't you want me to ask you a question?

D: Okay, go ahead and ask me a question.

M: What are you doing Saturday night? [audience goes "wooo" in unison]

D: Uh... see now, that's not, that's a... that's a dumb question! [laughter and
applause]

M: [taken aback] Oh, ho!

D: [chuckling] I'm sorry.

M: David, I thought it fit right in with the format of the show.

D: Everybody knows, Saturday nights I bowl. [laughter] Gee, Marilyn, it was
nice to meet ya. Thank you very much. [applause, as Dave shakes her hand]

M: [smiling] Nice to have been here.

D: I know you have to run along...

M: Yes...

D: ...thanks for being here.

M: ...a long time ago.

D: We'll be right back. [points to her] The world's smartest person.

[break to commercials]

Donz5

Sep 27, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/27/98

loc...@earthlink.net (Beast of Bourbon) wrote:

>This is from a show in (I'm guessing) early fall, 1986. It was the week Anton
>Fig became the band's new drummer and the same week that Late Night introduced
>the Monkey Cam.

March 11, 1986; the previous day was Anton's first appearance as a substitute
for Steve Jordan. Steve returned March 24. On the 27th Anton filled in for
Steve until Steve showed up later in the show. Steve's last week was
3/31-4/3/86.

Anton then filled in on drums, but it wasn't until May 5 when Paul officially
welcomed him as a permanent member of the band.

Thanks for posting the transcript.

Donz, not all that impressed with himself, despite what CyberGolem wrote.

RasMaster

Sep 27, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/27/98

In article <19980927160228...@ng65.aol.com>, do...@aol.com (Donz5)
writes:

>March 11, 1986; the previous day was Anton's first appearance as a substitute
>for Steve Jordan. Steve returned March 24. On the 27th Anton filled in for
>Steve until Steve showed up later in the show. Steve's last week was
>3/31-4/3/86.

I was just starting to watch the show then, and have never seen this
explained here (haven't looked for it, either). Was there a problem with
Jordan? Why did he leave in this fashion (gone, there, late, there, gone...)

Bob Purse

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Ye and me might disagree, but we needent go to shootin' again" -
Pete Seeger, 1973

Steve Timko

Sep 28, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/28/98
On 27 Sep 1998 22:16:34 GMT, rasm...@aol.com (RasMaster) spake
thusly:

>In article <19980927160228...@ng65.aol.com>, do...@aol.com (Donz5)
>writes:
>
>>March 11, 1986; the previous day was Anton's first appearance as a substitute
>>for Steve Jordan. Steve returned March 24. On the 27th Anton filled in for
>>Steve until Steve showed up later in the show. Steve's last week was
>>3/31-4/3/86.
>
>I was just starting to watch the show then, and have never seen this
>explained here (haven't looked for it, either). Was there a problem with
>Jordan? Why did he leave in this fashion (gone, there, late, there, gone...)

Steve Jordan was dressed oddly one night. Dave commented that he
looked like a lawn jockey. Jordan walked off the show in protest.
Then, in my recollection, he was gone from the show a short time
later. This has led to arguments in this newsgroup before. I can't
remember how close the walk out was to his disappearance from the
show, but it seemed suspiciously close. Donz has said before his
information is that there is no connection between the two, that
Jordan just felt it was time to leave, or something to that effect
(not trying to answer for Donz, just remembering previous posts).

Check out a gathering of Letterman fans in New York.
http://members.aol.com/stevetimko/

Not content with bothering humans, I've taken pictures of animals at a predator rescue place.
Check out my page, still under construction at
http://home.att.net/~stevetimko/

RasMaster

Sep 28, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/28/98

In article <360eda7...@netnews.worldnet.att.net>, Steve...@aol.com
(Steve Timko) writes:

>Steve Jordan was dressed oddly one night. Dave commented that he
>looked like a lawn jockey. Jordan walked off the show in protest.

I did see that show. Jordan walked off for less than 20 seconds, then
came back! That's the very first thing I have on my Letterman compilation
tapes, which now number about five dozen. So that must have been
when I became a regular viewer.

Donz5

Sep 28, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/28/98

Steve...@aol.com (Steve Timko) wrote:

>Donz has said before his
>information is that there is no connection between the two, that

>Jordan just felt it was time to leave, or something to that effect...

Steve Jordan said in a "Modern Drummer" interview from 1989 that he left the
show because he had grown tired of playing covers. In early 1985 he had spent a
few weeks in Paris and found himself playing with the Stones in a rehearsal
loft.

He had met Keith Richards back in 1978, when Steve was the SNL drummer and the
Stones were one night's guest musicians. Keith made a disparaging remark about
Steve's playing with the Blues Brothers, but by 1985 they found themselves
friends. (That night was Steve's last gig as SNL drummer; he had finally
persuaded his pal Will Lee to join the band Hiram had put together the year
before, The 24th Street Band.)

Steve said in the MD interview that after he came back to the U.S. and to LN,
he found himself unsatisfied playing "Under My Thumb" with the LN band when he
had just played with the band that first wrote and recorded it.

By 1986 he figured it was time to move on. The very first gig he got after
announcing to Paul that he was leaving was to play in a promotional video of
Aretha Franklin's "Jumpin' Jack Flash," put together by Keith. And Keith
organized the Chuck Berry cable special later that summer. Berry had seen the
first Rock and Roll Hall of Fame ceremony (in which the World's Most Dangerous
Band had been the house band) and told Keith how much he liked the drummer --
that was Jordan. So Keith recruited Steve to participate in the Berry tribute.

Two years later Keith would assemble his X-Pensive Winos and bring together
Steve, Charley Drayton (who used to sub for Steve on LN -- Charley and Steve
would alternate on bass and drums), and Waddy Wachtel, a long-time studio
guitarist and who played in many bands -- he had auditioned for Hiram's spot on
LN back in the summer of 1984.

Nothing to do with Dave's comment about lawn jockeys.

Beast of Bourbon

Sep 28, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/28/98
On 27 Sep 1998 20:02:28 GMT, do...@aol.com (Donz5) wrote:

>March 11, 1986; the previous day was Anton's first appearance as a substitute
>for Steve Jordan. Steve returned March 24. On the 27th Anton filled in for
>Steve until Steve showed up later in the show. Steve's last week was
>3/31-4/3/86.

Ah, well. I just stuck the (undated) tape in and, as I surfed the net and read
up on Usenet, side-watched about 6 hours of Late Night and other shows from the
mid-80's, complete with cheesy local commercials. Dave kept calling Anton the
"new guy," that's why I assumed he had replaced Steve.

Other things on the tape from old LN, besides Vos Savant and Hines:
- comedian Michael Davis, juggling a squashed loaf of bread, a handful of
margarine, and a slab of cold beef liver
- the great How To Dine Out skit with Larry "Bud" Melman as "Debbie"
- several terrific Jay Leno guest spots ("Ohh, Kimba eat the potato")
- Dave tossing beloved Carvel ice cream cake character Cookie Puss off a 5-story
building and having it run over by a steamroller
- Dr. Merlin Tuttle with some freaky looking bats (Dave: "What have you done to
that chihuahua?!")
- Dave firing the elderly "Louise" for replacing his phone
- a Joel Hodgson stand-up spot (hehe... Danny O'Danny, Agent J)
- Dave's impression of Wilbur, the Mean Old Man
- Arnie Barnes, who went to Fat Jack's and got drunk
- Paul's moving version of "Meat On Meat" ("...nothing like the action of...")
- Supermarket Finds with White Jelly Fungus & Aunt Fanny's Uncle Bunny
- Dave tosses a creepy Sports Illustrated guy from the studio
- Viewer Mail with Pharoah Biff

Anyone remember any of that? Oh, and how many times was Joel Hodgson on LN,
Donz? And any word on whatever happened to Arnie Barnes?

Also on the tape were Richard Pryor Live on the Sunset Strip (brilliant) and Sam
Kinison doing standup on SNL (man, I miss the guy).

Needless to say, I was laughing my ass of much of the night, seeing Dave in his
early prime in that little studio. All the old stuff holds up really well. I
still believe that the Late Night of the early- to mid-1980's is some of the
best comedy ever.

>Thanks for posting the transcript.

It was my pleasure.

Beast of Bourbon

Sep 28, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/28/98
On 28 Sep 1998 01:51:17 GMT, do...@aol.com (Donz5) wrote:

>Steve Jordan said in a "Modern Drummer" interview from 1989 that he left the
>show because he had grown tired of playing covers. In early 1985 he had spent a
>few weeks in Paris and found himself playing with the Stones in a rehearsal
>loft.
>

>Nothing to do with Dave's comment about lawn jockeys.

Thanks for the history, Donz... I was always a fan of Jordan, who had a pretty
clever sense of humor--he knew just when to hit that cowbell, hehe--and I knew
there was more to his departure than just being miffed by a lawn jockey joke.

Donz5

Sep 28, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/28/98

loc...@earthlink.net (Beast of Bourbon) wrote:

>Oh, and how many times was Joel Hodgson on LN,
>Donz? And any word on whatever happened to Arnie Barnes?

Joel Hodgson: five times --

2/15/83
2/1/84
4/19/84
6/11/84
9/18/84

Arnie Barnes:
When he was first called in early 1986, he was 19 years old. So he's 31 now.
Probably still pounding meat. :)

>Needless to say, I was laughing my ass of much of the night, seeing Dave in
his
>early prime in that little studio. All the old stuff holds up really well. I
>still believe that the Late Night of the early- to mid-1980's is some of the
>best comedy ever.

For whatever reason I have for playing back those shows, I have the same
reaction, and it's tough to know whether the laughter comes from the memory of
seeing it for the first time on the air back then or appreciating the attitude
of the show or whether it's still actually funny. In the end, who cares: I
laughed, I cried, it made me think.

ly...@bbdo.com

Sep 28, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/28/98
In article <19980928134313...@ng89.aol.com>,

do...@aol.com (Donz5) wrote:

> loc...@earthlink.net (Beast of Bourbon) wrote:
>
> >Oh, and how many times was Joel Hodgson on LN,
> >Donz? And any word on whatever happened to Arnie Barnes?
>
> Joel Hodgson: five times --
>
> 2/15/83
> 2/1/84
> 4/19/84
> 6/11/84
> 9/18/84

Please refresh my memory ... who was Joel Hodgson?

> Arnie Barnes:
> When he was first called in early 1986, he was 19 years old. So he's 31 now.
> Probably still pounding meat. :)

Him I do remember. I wonder what happened to the drifter they met in Las
Vegas. Can't remember his name right now.

> >Needless to say, I was laughing my ass of much of the night, seeing Dave in
> his
> >early prime in that little studio. All the old stuff holds up really well. I
> >still believe that the Late Night of the early- to mid-1980's is some of the
> >best comedy ever.
>
> For whatever reason I have for playing back those shows, I have the same
> reaction, and it's tough to know whether the laughter comes from the memory of
> seeing it for the first time on the air back then or appreciating the attitude
> of the show or whether it's still actually funny. In the end, who cares: I
> laughed, I cried, it made me think.

I know what you mean (as she dabs a tear from her eye). I too was watching
some old LN stuff over the weekend -- including the Oliver Reed, Shirley
MacLaine and Crispin Glover appearances among others and I enjoyed it all so
much. I wonder if we'll look back on these Late Shows 10 years from now and
feel the same way. As entertaining and delightful as TV Boy still is, I have
a feeling we won't look back on this era with quite as much affection.

ero...@hotmail.com

Sep 28, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/28/98

do...@aol.com (Donz5) wrote:
> For whatever reason I have for playing back those shows, I have the same
> reaction, and it's tough to know whether the laughter comes from the memory of
> seeing it for the first time on the air back then or appreciating the attitude
> of the show or whether it's still actually funny. In the end, who cares: I
> laughed, I cried, it made me think.

The thing that strikes me about the broadcasts from that period is
the experimental feel to them. They really did seem to be these ironic,
clever, whimsical, often just plain odd experiments in television - often
with hilarious pay offs. Every other talk show since then and
every talk show currently on the air - Late Show included - seems so polished
and accessible compared to the first 6 or 7 seasons of Late Night - partly as
a reaction against the dye that Late Night cast.

Smith2003

Sep 28, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/28/98

ly...@bbdo.com wrote:

>Please refresh my memory ... who was Joel Hodgson?

Joel Hodgson was the creator of "Mystery Science Theater 3000" (now on the
Sci-Fi Channel at 5PM and 11PM ET on Saturdays with new host, Mike Nelson). He
left the show in the 5th Season ("Mitchell" was his last episode) to work on
other things. His website is www.gizmonics.com

---Smith
-More Letterman Fans Pics - members.aol.com/Smith2003/pictures.html
---
"There's nothing I like better than a dead Meg Ryan" - Heather (Es)
-
"All I Say Is Duh." - Joel

Jeff

Sep 28, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/28/98
Thanks (as always) for the info. Didn't Jordan also play with the
Pretenders?

Donz5 wrote in message <19980927215117...@ng65.aol.com>...

>Steve Jordan said in a "Modern Drummer" interview from 1989 that he left
the
>show because he had grown tired of playing covers. In early 1985 he had
spent a
>few weeks in Paris and found himself playing with the Stones in a rehearsal
>loft.

<snip>

Donz5

Sep 29, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/29/98

"Jeff" <jpe...@chorus.net> wrote:

>Didn't Jordan also play with the Pretenders?

News to me; if he did, I wasn't aware of it. He did record for Stevie Nicks in
early '86, which prompted that whole Nicks controversy that lasted for weeks.

This summer Steve played in James Taylor's tour band (reuniting with his old
24th Street Bandmate Cliff Carter).

Beast of Bourbon

Sep 29, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/29/98
On 28 Sep 1998 23:11:22 GMT, smit...@aol.com (Smith2003) wrote:

>>Please refresh my memory ... who was Joel Hodgson?
>
>Joel Hodgson was the creator of "Mystery Science Theater 3000" (now on the
>Sci-Fi Channel at 5PM and 11PM ET on Saturdays with new host, Mike Nelson). He
>left the show in the 5th Season ("Mitchell" was his last episode) to work on
>other things.

Before he landed the MST3K gig, Joel was a rather clever stand-up comedian.
Part of his shtick was holding up different things from his bag o'fun between
jokes and saying, "By day, I'm just an ordinary comedian holding a <whatever>,
and at night I become Agent J," at which point a gun barrel and handle would
stick out of the object. He also had this two-headed dummy called Danny
O'Danny. Joel was perfect for MST3K; I was happy he got the job, and sorry to
see him leave.

Beast of Bourbon

Sep 29, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/29/98
On 28 Sep 1998 17:43:13 GMT, do...@aol.com (Donz5) wrote:

>Arnie Barnes:
>When he was first called in early 1986, he was 19 years old. So he's 31 now.
>Probably still pounding meat. :)

Holy moly, Arnie Barnes is in his thirties. *Shudder* I feel so old all of a
sudden...

>For whatever reason I have for playing back those shows, I have the same
>reaction, and it's tough to know whether the laughter comes from the memory of
>seeing it for the first time on the air back then or appreciating the attitude
>of the show or whether it's still actually funny.

I think it's still quite funny, though seeing Dave with the huge hair and the
cleats is a bit unsettling. <g> And boy, do I miss Bill Wendell, Pete Fatovich,
Hal Gurnee, and Jimmy Fitzgerald... not to mention that old studio...

D. P. Roberts

Sep 29, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/29/98
>left the show in the 5th Season ("Mitchell" was his last episode) to work on

We LOAO at that episode. In fact, when we walk through the house and
pass each other in a tight hallway, sometimes someone will say
"Mitchell."

I think the worst one was that episode, obviously filmed by a theater
class out in California. "Oh, I don't think The Master will mind if
we inconvenience you." And those 25-second shots of the painting or
'The Master' staring at the camera. Oh, what was that movie called?

A very old guy called Quentin Crisp used to appear on Dave's show.
Whatever happened to him?

RasMaster

Sep 29, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/29/98

In article <3610964d...@news.earthlink.net>, loc...@earthlink.net (Beast
of Bourbon) writes:

>Joel was perfect for MST3K; I was happy he got the job, and sorry to
>see him leave.

He didn't just get the job, I believe he created the show, which promptly
became excruciatingly boring as soon as he left.

James Langdell

Sep 29, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/29/98

loc...@earthlink.net (Beast of Bourbon) writes:
>I think it's still quite funny, though seeing Dave with the huge hair and the
>cleats is a bit unsettling. <g> And boy, do I miss Bill Wendell, Pete Fatovich,
>Hal Gurnee, and Jimmy Fitzgerald... not to mention that old studio...

On the credits crawl last night (9/28/98), I was surprised to see
a producer credit for Pete "Who Gives a Rat's Ass" Fatovich.
Wasn't it several years ago that Dave honored Pete's retirement on
the air?

Maybe he's back working on Late Show for the same reason Dave does
--to pay off those gambling debts (...at least according to
a bit in the Dave vs. Oprah comparison routine on that show as well).

--James Langdell jam...@eng.sun.com
Sun Microsystems Menlo Park, Calif.

Donz5

Sep 29, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/29/98

jam...@Eng.Sun.COM (James Langdell) wrote:

>On the credits crawl last night (9/28/98), I was surprised to see
>a producer credit for Pete "Who Gives a Rat's Ass" Fatovich.
>Wasn't it several years ago that Dave honored Pete's retirement on
>the air?

Must have seen a different show than here in NYC. I'm watching the credits now:

Executive Producer: Rob Burnett
Directed by: Jerry Foley
Producer: Barbara Gaines
Producer: Maria Pope

No Pete Fatovich listed anywhere.

Shecky465

Sep 29, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/29/98

>On the credits crawl last night (9/28/98), I was surprised to see
>a producer credit for Pete "Who Gives a Rat's Ass" Fatovich.
>Wasn't it several years ago that Dave honored Pete's retirement on
>the air?

I was not paying attention to the crawl last night but if Pete's name was on
it, it is because he comes out of retirement to help us during the Jewish
holidays because one of the Associate Directors observes the holidays.

Jeff

Sep 29, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/29/98
I dug out my copy of the Pretenders' "Get Close," and Steve Jordan is
creedited as playing on only one song (the single "Don't Get Me Wrong.")

I loved the Stevie Nicks "fued." I thought it was because she wouldn't be
on the show? Anyway, I remember they would show a clip from her video every
night and Dave would poke fun at it. Once I remember Chris Elliott showing
up in the clip instead of Stevie. Damn, I'd like to watch that again... I
have it recorded, but on BETA, and I no longer have a BETA machine. How sad
is that? :)

Jeff

Sep 29, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/29/98
Was that Jude Brennen (sp) in the skit with Tony the other night?

Tony Dickson

Sep 29, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/29/98
I noticed Shecky got some on-camera time last week. Congrats!

CyberGolem

Sep 30, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/30/98

first:

>>On the credits crawl last night (9/28/98), I was surprised to see
>>a producer credit for Pete "Who Gives a Rat's Ass" Fatovich.
>>Wasn't it several years ago that Dave honored Pete's retirement on
>>the air?

then Shecky shared:

>I was not paying attention to the crawl last night but if Pete's name was on
>it, it is because he comes out of retirement to help us during the Jewish
>holidays because one of the Associate Directors observes the holidays.

I've heard that when Pete returns to help out, they always put out a nice
spread of hot tongue and cold shoulder to make him feel at home.

Steve Timko

Sep 30, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/30/98
On Tue, 29 Sep 1998 19:54:43 -0500, "Jeff" <jpe...@chorus.net> spake
thusly:

>Was that Jude Brennen (sp) in the skit with Tony the other night?

Mike McIntee said in the Wahoo Gazette that it was.

Beast of Bourbon

Sep 30, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/30/98
On 30 Sep 1998 01:37:11 GMT, cyber...@aol.com (CyberGolem) wrote:

>>I was not paying attention to the crawl last night but if Pete Fatovich's name

>>was on it, it is because he comes out of retirement to help us during the Jewish
>>holidays because one of the Associate Directors observes the holidays.
>
>I've heard that when Pete returns to help out, they always put out a nice
>spread of hot tongue and cold shoulder to make him feel at home.

Hehe... and he wears his traditional plaid sans-a-belt slacks.

James Langdell

Sep 30, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/30/98
I checked the tape again. Pete was listed as one of
the three Associate Directors (not a "producer").

Then again, who gives a rat's ass...

do...@aol.com (Donz5) writes:

>jam...@Eng.Sun.COM (James Langdell) wrote:
>
>>On the credits crawl last night (9/28/98), I was surprised to see
>>a producer credit for Pete "Who Gives a Rat's Ass" Fatovich.
>>Wasn't it several years ago that Dave honored Pete's retirement on
>>the air?
>

>Must have seen a different show than here in NYC. I'm watching the credits now:

James Langdell

Sep 30, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/30/98
shec...@aol.com (Shecky465) writes:

>>On the credits crawl last night (9/28/98), I was surprised to see
>>a producer credit for Pete "Who Gives a Rat's Ass" Fatovich.
>>Wasn't it several years ago that Dave honored Pete's retirement on
>>the air?
>

>I was not paying attention to the crawl last night but if Pete's name was on

>it, it is because he comes out of retirement to help us during the Jewish
>holidays because one of the Associate Directors observes the holidays.

Thanks for the story behind the story, Shecky. I checked the tape again
and Pete was listed that night under the Associate Directors heading.

By the way, Shecky, any responses to last week's video date footage?

Shecky465

Sep 30, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/30/98

>By the way, Shecky, any responses to last week's video date footage?

I was crossing Broadway and 53 rd st. about 30 minutes after the taping and
three women began screaming my name from the cab that they were riding in.

That's about it.

Shecky465

Sep 30, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/30/98

>I've heard that when Pete returns to help out, they always put out a nice
>spread of hot tongue and cold shoulder to make him feel at home.

That's "Cold Shoulder And Hot Tongue"

This week it was Winston Churchill jokes.

Donz5

Sep 30, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/30/98

shec...@aol.com (Shecky465) wrote:

>I was crossing Broadway and 53 rd st. about 30 minutes after the taping and
>three women began screaming my name from the cab that they were riding in.

Which name? "The Jackal?" "Elvis?" "Generalissimo Ramirez?" :)

Heywood Jaiblomi

Sep 30, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/30/98
In article <19980930161201...@ng92.aol.com>, shec...@aol.com (Shecky465) wrote:

>>By the way, Shecky, any responses to last week's video date footage?
>

>I was crossing Broadway and 53 rd st. about 30 minutes after the taping and
>three women began screaming my name from the cab that they were riding in.

Don't women normally do that with you every day? :)

Glad to see you here, I remember you from the Consumer Electronics Forum on
CIS from years ago.

biohazard

Oct 1, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/1/98
On Wed, 30 Sep 1998 03:46:50 GMT, loc...@earthlink.net (Beast of
Bourbon) wrote:

>Hehe... and he wears his traditional plaid sans-a-belt slacks.

I FOUND MY PANTS! I FOUND MY PANTS! I FOUND MY PANTS!!!

bio...@mindspring.com, wondering if Pete still has that floor-mounted
Julie Pomerantz salad bowl...

sb4...@my-dejanews.com

Oct 1, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/1/98

> >By the way, Shecky, any responses to last week's video date footage?
>
> I was crossing Broadway and 53 rd st. about 30 minutes after the taping and
> three women began screaming my name from the cab that they were riding in.
>
> That's about it.

That's the way it goes sometimes. You take one shower in the nude
on national television, and you're branded for life.

sb

Russ Walter

Oct 1, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/1/98
to D. P. Roberts
D. P. Roberts wrote:

> A very old guy called Quentin Crisp used to appear on Dave's show.
> Whatever happened to him?

Lenona (Assistant to Russ Walter) speaking.

I'm delighted to see you take note of him, assuming you never heard of
him before the show. I spoke to him a few weeks ago by his home phone
(he's listed in the Manhattan directory)! Some months ago, he told me
that he would not, in all likelihood, appear on Letterman again because
Dave was just too hard to work for. Given that Mr. Crisp is the author
of "Manners from Heaven", he must have a good reason for saying that.
Even so, I hate myself for not catching him on Letterman-the only TV
appearance I HAVE been able to catch was the June 1993 Jay Leno episode.
(He was there mainly because "Orlando", in which he plays Queen
Elizabeth, had just been released.)

Anyway, his books are, in rough chronological order, "The Naked Civil
Servant"(1968), "How to Have a Life-Style", "Love Made Easy", "Chog: A
Gothic Fable", "How to Become a Virgin"(1981), "Doing it With Style",
"The Wit and Wisdom of Quentin Crisp", "Manners From Heaven"(1985), "How
to Go to the Movies"(1989), "Quentin Crisp's Book of Quotations", and
"Resident Alien"(1997).

His movies are "The Naked Civil Servant"(1975, only in the beginning-it
stars John Hurt as Mr. Crisp), "Hamlet"(1976-also starring Helen
Mirren), "The Bride" (1985), "Fatal Attraction"(party scene; he was cut
:( ), Sting's video of "Englishman in New York"(yes, Sting DID write
the song for him), "Philadelphia"(cameo in the costume party scene),
"Resident Alien" (1991, this is a documentary about him) "Desolation
Angels" (1995, as a beggar in the first half), "Naked in New York"(at
the cocktail party), "To Wong Foo: Thanks for Everything, Julie
Newmar"(as the pageant judge in the early scenes), and finally, two
obscure movies that I haven't found called "The Electric Urn" and "Homo
Heights"-both in the last two years.

If he ever comes to your area to do his one-man show, DON'T MISS IT! He
will be 90 this Christmas. All you have to do is call him at a decent
hour and ask him where he's travelling. While you're at it, ask him to
lunch if you're in New York-he never refuses a free meal. I've invited
him out 3 times already. Like Groucho, he's always "on". I hope to bring
him to a certain local Ivy League school since he does so many schools.
(Including mine in 1988-Colby!) Trouble is, I'm not really connected
with it-but that won't stop me! :) As you can tell by now, I love the
man terribly and all I have to add is that while he no longer writes, he
is very alert and active indeed and I only wish he could be around much
longer than we can expect. Sigh.

Lenona.

Russ Walter

Oct 1, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/1/98