Disco II Trim Levels

David French

Mar 16, 2004, 3:12:48 AM3/16/04
I'm aware of some of the differences between S/GS/XS/ES but can anybody give
a definitive guide? It's the early (pre-2001) ones I'm looking at.

Thanks,
David.

Martin Lewis

Mar 16, 2004, 5:57:59 AM3/16/04
"David French" <david.nots...@virgin.net> wrote in message

David

I've got what I think is the launch brochure for the Discovery II, it's
dated March 10th 1999:

S: Td5 only, no cruise, coil springs (SLS on 7 seater), no ACE, driver
airbag, optional Passenger Airbag, cloth seats, headlamp wash,
alarm/immobiliser, optional Aircon front and rear, no foglamps, Tempest 16"
alloys, mini spats on rear wheelarch, 4 speaker radio cassette stereo,
hydraulic rear step on 5 and 7 seater, traction control, ABS, electric
windows,

GS - S spec plus: V8/Td5, cruise standard on Td5 auto and V8 manual/auto,
coils (SLS on 7 seater), ACE on 5 seater, option on 7, half leather steering
wheel, standard passenger airbag, front foglamps, optional heated screen,
optional heated seats, locking wheel nuts, Pursuit 16" alloys, full
wheelarch spats, colour coded front bumper, front mudflaps, roof rails, twin
manual sunroofs, 6 speaker stereo with steering wheel controls, hydraulic
rear step on 7 seater

XS - GS spec plus: SLS, ACE, half leather seats (Land Rover oval), power
foldback mirrors, Stratos 16" alloys, hydraulic rear step on 5 and 7 seater

ES - XS spec plus: full leather seats, front electric seats, auto dipping
mirror with compass and illuminated visor mirrors, front aircon standard,
rear optional, heated screen and seats, Firestar 16" alloys, twin electric
sunroofs, 11 speaker stereo with CD autochanger, rear stereo controls and
headphone socket, wood front door cappings, alcantara inserts, walnut fascia
trim.

ES Premium - ES spec plus: more upper console wood trim and 'Lightstone'
colour leather seats.

Martin
--
1988 90 Td5 NAS Replica
www.web-rover.co.uk

David French

Mar 16, 2004, 4:36:29 PM3/16/04
"Martin Lewis" <ma...@ukmax.com> wrote in message

> "David French" <david.nots...@virgin.net> wrote in message
> > I'm aware of some of the differences between S/GS/XS/ES but can anybody
> give
> > a definitive guide? It's the early (pre-2001) ones I'm looking at.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > David.
>
> David
>
> I've got what I think is the launch brochure for the Discovery II, it's
> dated March 10th 1999:

You star! Thanks. SLS - is this the rear air suspension thing?

Do ACE and the air suspension go hand in hand? I take it ACE works by using
air springs?

I'm looking to steer clear of air susp if possible, but I do want a 7
seater...

David.

Martin Lewis

Mar 16, 2004, 5:52:06 PM3/16/04

> You star! Thanks. SLS - is this the rear air suspension thing?
>
> Do ACE and the air suspension go hand in hand? I take it ACE works by
using
> air springs?
>
> I'm looking to steer clear of air susp if possible, but I do want a 7
> seater...
>
> David.

SLS is self levelling suspension, which acts on the rear suspension only.

ACE is basically an active anti-roll bar on the axles, it uses a hydraulic
ram to counteract the body swaying, instead of using a torsion bar like a
normal anti-roll bar.

ACE is (or was) available without SLS, and vice versa. The two systems are
separate, technically speaking.

If you want a seven seater, but without the SLS, you'd probably have to go
for a 5 seater S or GS without SLS, which has then had the rear seats
retrofitted. However, I believe that the SLS was required on the seven
seaters for type approval or something, so a coil-sprung 7 seater *may* be
on dodgy ground with insurance, etc. Just to warn you!

Good luck in your search, give me a shout if you need any other info! :o)

David French

Mar 16, 2004, 6:23:38 PM3/16/04

> SLS is self levelling suspension, which acts on the rear suspension only.
>
> ACE is basically an active anti-roll bar on the axles, it uses a hydraulic
> ram to counteract the body swaying, instead of using a torsion bar like a
> normal anti-roll bar.
>
> ACE is (or was) available without SLS, and vice versa. The two systems are
> separate, technically speaking.
>
> If you want a seven seater, but without the SLS, you'd probably have to go
> for a 5 seater S or GS without SLS, which has then had the rear seats
> retrofitted. However, I believe that the SLS was required on the seven
> seaters for type approval or something, so a coil-sprung 7 seater *may* be
> on dodgy ground with insurance, etc. Just to warn you!
>
> Good luck in your search, give me a shout if you need any other info! :o)

Great - thanks. All becoming clear.

Having seen an ES today, I decided it would be a good idea to cut down on
things like ACE and SLS to keep it simple. But it looks like I won't have
much of a choice with the SLS. Shame... (unless I go for a 300Tdi).

Bummer to have missed a good XS locally for a fine price, so I'll have to
keep looking.