AOL Volunteers Pissed, Is Landmark Next?

mizm...@my-dejanews.com

Apr 15, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/15/99
Since the US Dept of Labor has started investigating AOL's use of volunteers
(10,000 of them) to run their company, do you think Landmark might be getting
a bit nervous? I found the story at http://www.msnbc.com/news/259236.asp.

At least AOL gives their volunteers free accounts. Does Landmark let their
volunteers take courses for free or at a discount, or is "making a difference
in people's lives" their payment?

Arf,

Miz Mamie

watch...@my-dejanews.com

Apr 15, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/15/99
In article <7f58ub$t12$1...@nnrp1.dejanews.com>,

mizm...@my-dejanews.com wrote:
> Since the US Dept of Labor has started investigating AOL's use of volunteers
> (10,000 of them) to run their company, do you think Landmark might be getting
> a bit nervous?

Here's one from the archives. Go Liz! Maybe the anti/con's here should
organize, those who have "volunteered" and submit a complaint against
Landmark.

---------------------------------
LEC & The U.S. Department of Labor
Author:ESumerlin <esum...@aol.com>
Date: 1998/01/23
Forum: alt.fan.landmark

I received a letter today from the U.S. Department of Labor stating that
they had completed an investigation of Landmark Education and
determined that volunteers of Landmark were employees subject to
the provisions of the Fair Labor Standards Act. LEC did not agree
with the determination.

If an employer is found to have violated the wage and hour laws,
an employee is entitled to: back pay, liquidated damages equal
to the amount of unpaid back wages and attorney and court costs.
There is a 2 year statue of limitations which is extended to 3 years
if the employer's violation was intentional. This is from the book:
"Every Employee's Guide to the Law". If you need more information
please e-mail me or write to Action Works P.O. Box 567
Louisville, CO 80027

ESumerlin

Apr 15, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/15/99
The current address for Action Works is PO Box 1000 Eastlake CO 80614.
It would only take one person to start a class action suit. Many
Labor Attorneys will do an initial consultation for free and from
there on contingency. Alternatively, volunteers, ex or otherwise,
can contact the Department of Labor, Wage and Hour Division.
See the government section of your phone book.

In article <7f5a2m$u36$1...@nnrp1.dejanews.com>, watch...@my-dejanews.com

pat...@kdi.com

Apr 15, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/15/99
In article <19990415150111...@ngol04.aol.com>,
--

wonderful now if the anti/cons want a new car or some new clothes, or
whatever, well maybe its like a big savings account :)

love and all

Patrick Darcy
Love, just think about it

Raina Beurle

Apr 16, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/16/99

mizm...@my-dejanews.com wrote in message
<7f58ub$t12$1...@nnrp1.dejanews.com>...

>Since the US Dept of Labor has started investigating AOL's use of
volunteers
>(10,000 of them) to run their company, do you think Landmark might be
getting
>a bit nervous? I found the story at http://www.msnbc.com/news/259236.asp.
>
>At least AOL gives their volunteers free accounts. Does Landmark let their
>volunteers take courses for free or at a discount, or is "making a
difference
>in people's lives" their payment?

Sometime Miz Mamie. I think SL's get them free. I think staff, even ex
staff, do programs free. I think there spouses also ride free. Some key
assistants In Perth were given a freebie from time to time. But it was
better to get them to assist on it - because you need the numbers - and
schollies and reviewers don't count for the stats.

when we were in the programs, did they program us?
love miss raina

>Arf,
>
>Miz Mamie

Raina Beurle

Apr 16, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/16/99

> wonderful now if the anti/cons want a new car or some new clothes, or
>whatever, well maybe its like a big savings account :)

I don't know how many blouses and jackets have been ruined by those goddamn
nametags.

when we were in the programs, were we programmed?
love miss raina

je...@my-dejanews.com

Apr 16, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/16/99
In article <92425330...@srv1.space.net.au>,

"Raina Beurle" <ra...@space.net.au> wrote:

> mizm...@my-dejanews.com wrote in message
> <7f58ub$t12$1...@nnrp1.dejanews.com>...
> >Since the US Dept of Labor has started investigating AOL's use of
> volunteers
> >(10,000 of them) to run their company, do you think Landmark might be
> getting
> >a bit nervous? I found the story at http://www.msnbc.com/news/259236.asp.
> >
> >At least AOL gives their volunteers free accounts. Does Landmark let their
> >volunteers take courses for free or at a discount, or is "making a
> difference
> >in people's lives" their payment?
>
> Sometime Miz Mamie. I think SL's get them free. I think staff, even ex
> staff, do programs free. I think there spouses also ride free. Some key
> assistants In Perth were given a freebie from time to time. But it was
> better to get them to assist on it - because you need the numbers - and
> schollies and reviewers don't count for the stats.

Hi Miss raina,

Is a "schollie" someone who gets a 'scholarship'? Someone I know got a
'scholarship' to do the advanced course - don't know what they had to do to
get it though. And their 'gratitude' was at the <puke> level.

Jen.

Larry Person

Apr 16, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/16/99

Raina Beurle wrote in message <92425330...@srv1.space.net.au>...

>I think staff, even ex
>staff, do programs free.

I do programs free. (I'm in the ex-staff category.) I hear that changed
after 1994 or something.

KMottus

Apr 16, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/16/99
writes:

>Here's one from the archives. Go Liz! Maybe the anti/con's here should
>organize, those who have "volunteered" and submit a complaint against
>Landmark.

Hey Robert!!

I just can't resist poking a little fun... so have you gotten the evil
corporate AOL parasite that abuses their volunteers out of your
pocketbook yet??

<duck>

K.

Blessed is he who has learned to laugh at himself,
for he shall never ceased to be entertained
---John Powell
kmo...@aol.com

Raina Beurle

Apr 16, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/16/99

je...@my-dejanews.com wrote in message <7f73a0$fa4$1...@nnrp1.dejanews.com>...

>In article <92425330...@srv1.space.net.au>,
> "Raina Beurle" <ra...@space.net.au> wrote:
>>
>> mizm...@my-dejanews.com wrote in message
>> <7f58ub$t12$1...@nnrp1.dejanews.com>...

>Hi Miss raina,

>Is a "schollie" someone who gets a 'scholarship'? Someone I know got a
>'scholarship' to do the advanced course - don't know what they had to do to
>get it though. And their 'gratitude' was at the <puke> level.
>
>Jen.

Hello miss jen

Yes - a schollie - scholarship. Rarely given in Perth. Because if people
need to have a breakthrough around money in to participate then they can get
that by going to the edge to get hold of the money somehow. I can only think
of a couple of instances where they were given to people other than in a way
that was like a gratuity to a key assistant or spouse or staff or former
staff. Besides they don't count on the stats.

love miss raina

ND Main

Apr 16, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/16/99
>>Since the US Dept of Labor has started investigating AOL's use of
>volunteers
>>(10,000 of them) to run their company, do you think Landmark might be
>getting
>>a bit nervous? I found the story at http://www.msnbc.com/news/259236.asp.

I used to be one of those AOL volunteers. In fact, for several years
I was in charge of a team of about two dozen other volunteers.
There was a time years ago when the free account saved me as much as
$800 per month or more, before AOL changed its billing to flat rate
late in 1996..

At least twice during the time I was involved, this issue of volunteers
versus employees was supposedly looked at by the Labor Board or
other government agencies. Nothing came of it, though this time
the results might be different.

The issue of not allowing the volunteers to dial up via the 800 number
began in 1996, also. Last I heard, they had made special provisions
for folks who had been using the 800 number to continue to do so,
though new "hires" were required to live in an area where local
dial up numbers were available. Perhaps they've turned off the
800 number access completely in the past couple years since I
was involved.

People volunteer for a lot of different "jobs" and treat that work
as a hobby, from coaching little league to managing computer
user groups. Granted, AOL and Landmark distinguish themselves
as for-profit companies that benefit from volunteers. I'm sure
there are many others.

It'll be interesting to see how this unfolds. While there are still
a lot of volunteers working on AOL, there's been a movement
since 1996 to make most of the forums profitable, either by
direct sales of goods or services, or through advertising. Several
of my friends who used to be volunteers on AOL are now paid
for their work.

Steve

watch...@my-dejanews.com

Apr 16, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/16/99
In article <19990416082153...@ngol03.aol.com>,

kmo...@aol.comspamtrap (KMottus) wrote:
> In article <7f5a2m$u36$1...@nnrp1.dejanews.com>, watch...@my-dejanews.com
> writes:
>

> >Here's one from the archives. Go Liz! Maybe the anti/con's here should
> >organize, those who have "volunteered" and submit a complaint against
> >Landmark.
>
> Hey Robert!!
>
> I just can't resist poking a little fun... so have you gotten the evil
> corporate AOL parasite that abuses their volunteers out of your
> pocketbook yet??
>
> <duck>

Well, that might be possible if I had actually volunteered any time to AOL as
I did to Lifespring...

<DOLT!>

computeruser

Apr 16, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/16/99
I posted this web address to another newsgroup and here is some brilliant
perspective that came back:

"> >The US Dept.. of Labor has started investigating AOL's use of volunteers
> >(10,000 of them) to run their company. See the story at
> >http://www.msnbc.com/news/259236.asp.
>
> Wow. And here I thought that it was now Government policy that
volunteerism
> was one of our highest moral obligations.

Only when the government benefits from it. 7:^)

Seriously though, what's the problem here? Why would someone
volunteer for something, start complaining about it and then
*not* quit? What have they got to lose? A free AOL account?
It's not like AOL's the only game in town, either. If you
don't like the way they do business, it's not that difficult
to change ISPs. There are even web sites (e.g. www.isps.com)
that'll give you a list of competing ISPs in your area. Some
ISPs (e.g. www.mindspring.com) offer extra help for AOL
customers wanting to switch.

As I see it, there are three options:
1. Continue the volunteer work.
2. Quit volunteering and start paying for the AOL account.
3. Drop AOL and get an account with another ISP.

None of these options would require the intervention of the
Department of Labor.

SD"

KMottus

Apr 16, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/16/99
In article <7f7pds$3da$1...@nnrp1.dejanews.com>, watch...@my-dejanews.com
writes:

>Well, that might be possible if I had actually volunteered any time to AOL as
>I did to Lifespring...

Oh, so volunteering is the key to pocketbook parasitism,

I thought a pocketbook parasite was one that took money from
you on a regular basis.

Unless you hacked that AOL account you had, sending all that
money every month to evil capitalist overloads making profit on
the backs of volunteers... how did you sleep at night??

<I went looking for you or your wife's web page and couldn't find
'em, so I guess they've taken the last of your money?? or was
I just not having a good search engine day>

dhchase

Apr 16, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/16/99
KMottus wrote:

> <I went looking for you or your wife's web page and couldn't find
> 'em, so I guess they've taken the last of your money?? or was
> I just not having a good search engine day>

http://hometown.aol.com/Terranova0/Terranova0.index.html

KMottus

Apr 17, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/17/99
In article <3717FC...@inlink.com>, dhchase <dhc...@inlink.com> writes:

>> 'em, so I guess they've taken the last of your money?? or was
>> I just not having a good search engine day>
>
>http://hometown.aol.com/Terranova0/Terranova0.index.html

Thanks sweetie!!

You'd think one of these days I'd actually remember to use
that bookmark feature :-D