Charlie Rich comment ...

Ed Brown

May 22, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/22/00
Don't remember the actual comments Charlie Rich made at the time, but
considering what "Country" music has turned into , it seems like they should
be trying to make it up to JD in someway now.....seems like he not only
would be deserving of a big fat apology....but a giant thank you (even if
it were post-humously).
Dee
EasternShore38 wrote in message
<20000521215006...@ng-fu1.aol.com>...
>Does anyone remember the remark country singer Charlie Rich made about John
>Denver when JD won the County Music Best Entertainer award? I remember it
was
>particularly nasty ... but I forget the details of the incident. Did he
>actually set the envelope on fire, rather than announce John's name on live
>televison??

allth...@ftc-i.net

May 22, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/22/00
LOL! I bet that bug was about 100 proof too! Would love to know what the quote
was, Diane, and which book it was in. Let us know if you find it again.

Best,
Dot

DTrube wrote:

> >, it seems like they should
> >be trying to make it up to JD in someway now.....seems like he not only
> >would be deserving of a big fat apology...
>

> Actually, later on, a spokesman for Charlie Rich said that at the time of the
> "torching", he was suffering from the effects of a bug bite, which presumably
> affected his judgement (?). I read this in a book on country music (sorry, I
> don't have the title or the book handy--I was just browsing in a bookstore a
> while back. I bet they looked at me funny when I laughed out loud). The
> author of the book made some comment on the order of "yeah, right".
> If I can make my way out to B&Noble in the near future, I'll see if I can get
> the correct quote.
> Diane

DTrube

May 23, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/23/00

Joe Keenan

May 23, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/23/00
>Actually, later on, a spokesman for Charlie Rich said that at the time of
>the
>"torching", he was suffering from the effects of a bug bite, which presumably
>affected his judgement (?).

Must have been the worm in the tequila!

Pamela Beasley

May 23, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/23/00
Well, I'll not forget that mean-spirited act. After seeing that I took
the only Charlie Rich album I had out and broke it.

Pam

allth...@ftc-i.net wrote:

> LOL! I bet that bug was about 100 proof too! Would love to know what the quote
> was, Diane, and which book it was in. Let us know if you find it again.
>
> Best,
> Dot
>
> DTrube wrote:
>

> > >, it seems like they should
> > >be trying to make it up to JD in someway now.....seems like he not only
> > >would be deserving of a big fat apology...
> >

> > Actually, later on, a spokesman for Charlie Rich said that at the time of the
> > "torching", he was suffering from the effects of a bug bite, which presumably

aerie

May 23, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/23/00

EasternShore38 wrote in message
<20000521215006...@ng-fu1.aol.com>...
>Does anyone remember the remark country singer Charlie Rich made about John
>Denver when JD won the County Music Best Entertainer award? I remember it
was
>particularly nasty ... but I forget the details of the incident. Did he
>actually set the envelope on fire, rather than announce John's name on live
>televison??

Yes and no. He saw who won when he opened it and said, "And the winner
is....my friend John Denver", emphasis on MY FRIEND. He said nothing more,
but setting the envelope on fire sends quite the message, don't you think?!

Ann

Wayne Clay

May 23, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/23/00
I will go out to flea markets looking for John Denver today and yes I will
buy C Rich and break it right in front of the person I just paid.
And I will tell them I have never forgiven him for what he did and said
about John Denver. And I am happy young people will say Charlie who they do
know who John Denver is.
cindy clay
"Pamela Beasley"
<pamela....@airmail.net> wrote in message

Diamondsnstones

May 23, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/23/00
>Um .. Charlie Rich died in 1995. Blood clot in his lung.

That is really too bad but none of us needs friends like him and he was a has
been long before 1995. Sue

Diamondsnstones

May 23, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/23/00

>Actually, later on, a spokesman for Charlie Rich said that at the time of
>the
>"torching", he was suffering from the effects of a bug bite, which presumably
>affected his judgement (?). I read this in a book on country music (sor

Actually Charlie Rich suffers from a number of things but a bug bite ain't one
of them.. Notice how popular and famous he is compared to John and how much
staying power he had in the music business even just in country music. Sour
grapes often rot with time. Hi Diane. Sue

EasternShore38

May 23, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/23/00

EasternShore38

May 23, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/23/00
You know, Charlie Rich voiced what many country music recording artists felt
about John Denver at the time. There was much jealousy because he didn't fit
the mold and he sky-rocketed to fame. He didn't "pay his dues" .. so to speak.
He wasn't the Coal Miner's kid or the sharecropper's kid. .. he didn't grow
up in a tar paper shack or on the other side of the railroad tracks. He was
that "skinny little upstart hippie guy with the granny glasses." But I'll
tell you something ... he opened the door for country recording artists. Up
until he came along, country music was very much something mainstream America
snickered at. You know the 60's and 70's stereotypes ... women with big hair
and prairie dresses "standin' by their man" and the male singers all crying in
their beer about "bein' done wrong." John Denver (who often said that his
music was more "western" than "country") caused a new generation to listen to
country music in earnest and appreciate it. Look at the industry it is today!
I live in New Jersey (New Joisey!!) .. and just in my area, there are two
country stations. It's piped into the mall, offices, etc .. and we actually
know the songs and the words. The Garth Brooks, Faith Hills and Shania Twains
of today owe JD a nod and a thank you ... because a generation before, Charlie
Rich only personified what many of those artists felt. How many times, even
now, will you hear his music played on any country station?

Diamondsnstones

May 24, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/24/00
> You know the 60's and 70's stereotypes ... women with big hair
>and prairie dresses "standin' by their man" and the male singers all crying
>in
>their beer about "bein' done wrong." John Denver (who often said that his
>music was more "western" than "country") caused a new generation to listen
>country music in earnest and appreciate it. Look at the industry it is
>today!
> I live in New Jersey (New Joisey!!) .. and just in my area, there are two
>country stations. It's piped into the mall, offices, etc .. and we actually
>know the songs and the words. The Garth Brooks, Faith Hills and Shania Twains
>of today owe JD a nod and a thank you ... because a generation before,
>Charlie
>Rich only personified what many of those artists felt.

Country artists of the 50s, 60s, and 70s were generally good, decent and KIND
people who decried what Charlie Rich did and those that are still around now
are still good and kind people, friendly with each other and their fans. It is
a mark of country music that the stars of yore were eager to help each other in
any way they could. Sue

EasternShore38

May 24, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/24/00
>Country artists of the 50s, 60s, and 70s were generally good, decent and KIND
>people

I agree. But they did not consider JD to be part of their "community". I
recall reading many articles during that era which pertained to this. He was
not considered true "country" and there were those who resented this. Even
today .. look at the Bruhaha which occurred when Jewel received an award a year
or two ago?

ThisOldGuitar

May 24, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/24/00
I'd be willing to bet that most of the country artists today are about as
"country" as a Saks Fifth Avenue storefront.

And nowadays, the only difference between "country" and "pop" is which radio
stations play the music. Had Briney Spears appeared in Nashville with a cowboy
hat on, she'd have been labeled as a country artist no matter what her singing
style was.

Country has pretty much gone pop and there's a precious few radio stations
who'll play the likes of George Jones, Ernest Tubb and Loretta Lynn anymore.
And when they do, they're labled "retro-country"

Dave who likes to listen to Charlie Pride more than Charlie Rich

allth...@ftc-i.net

May 24, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/24/00
I agree, Sue. When Olivia Newton-John won her Grammy at the CMA, she was
congratulated by Dolly Parton, and Loretta Lynn, even though Olivia, like John, was
new to country music. These ladies were the ones who were nominated along with
Olivia. They were very gracious to her.

Also, even though Charlie Rich burned the paper that had John's name on it, there
were others who congratulated John. Roy Acuff was one of them to do that. He has
passed away now, as has Minnie Pearl, who also congratulated John and Olivia. I am
sure, there were others there that night, that thought what Charlie Rich did was
terrible. He certainly did not win any friends, or fans, by doing what he did. He
just showed himself to be a petty, small person, and he brought shame on an
industry that did not do those kinds of things.

Country music is known for its kind people and has always had very loyal fans.

Best,
Dot

Diamondsnstones wrote:

> > You know the 60's and 70's stereotypes ... women with big hair
> >and prairie dresses "standin' by their man" and the male singers all crying
> >in
> >their beer about "bein' done wrong." John Denver (who often said that his
> >music was more "western" than "country") caused a new generation to listen
> >country music in earnest and appreciate it. Look at the industry it is
> >today!
> > I live in New Jersey (New Joisey!!) .. and just in my area, there are two
> >country stations. It's piped into the mall, offices, etc .. and we actually
> >know the songs and the words. The Garth Brooks, Faith Hills and Shania Twains
> >of today owe JD a nod and a thank you ... because a generation before,
> >Charlie
> >Rich only personified what many of those artists felt.
>

> Country artists of the 50s, 60s, and 70s were generally good, decent and KIND

ASLTsmile

May 24, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/24/00
But do they mind when one of their "own" crosses over to the pop radio market?
John wasn't country. I never considered him country, but then I never
considered him pop or rock either. He was pretty undefinable. The closest
think I could ever come up with, at least for his early music, is folk.

Peace,
Tricia

allth...@ftc-i.net

May 24, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/24/00
Unfortunately, this appears to be true. At one of the award shows, Vince Gill said
when talking about country music, "Please, let's not forget the roots of country
music". He recognizes, as a good many others do, that "true" country music appears
to be "disappearing". There are a few who are trying to hang on to it and I hope
that they do not let go. There are very few of the newer artists that sing country
music and they really do belong in the "pop genre".

Best,
Dot

EasternShore38

May 24, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/24/00
In an interveiw with Jane Pauley, about a year before he died, John spoke about
how he felt his music was currently better than ever, as was his voice, yet he
couldn't get a recording contract. He was painfully honest and I remember
feeling a tug at my heart as I watched that interview. He then went on to say
that while many people tried to put him under the "country" heading ... he did
not consider his music to be of the country genre. "Take Me Home Country
Roads" and "Thank God I'm A Country Boy" were the only two songs he felt were
country music. John also said that his music was more traditional "western" ...
and while music conglomerates now group "country/western" as one heading ...
they are actually quite different and have different roots. MSNBC re-runs
this interview periodically on their "Time and Again" program.

Flyushome

May 24, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/24/00
I believe this incident was shown on the TNN documentary, the best that's been
shown so far, except for LTBAV. I don't re-
call Charlie saying anything, though, but it does show John receiving the award
in Australia; he was so happy!

Pat

Pamela Beasley

May 25, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/25/00
ThisOldGuitar wrote:

> I'd be willing to bet that most of the country artists today are about as
> "country" as a Saks Fifth Avenue storefront.
>
> And nowadays, the only difference between "country" and "pop" is which radio
> stations play the music. Had Briney Spears appeared in Nashville with a cowboy
> hat on, she'd have been labeled as a country artist no matter what her singing
> style was.
>
> Country has pretty much gone pop and there's a precious few radio stations
> who'll play the likes of George Jones, Ernest Tubb and Loretta Lynn anymore.
> And when they do, they're labled "retro-country"
>
> Dave who likes to listen to Charlie Pride more than Charlie Rich

Speaking of Charlie Pride, he was treated just as shabbily as John was
by RCA. They dropped Charlie in just the same way they did John. Last
I heard Charlie still does not have a current recording contract.

Pam

Pamela Beasley

May 25, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/25/00

John was unaware of what Charlie did when he made his acceptance speech
from Australia.

Pam

allth...@ftc-i.net

May 25, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/25/00
That is very sad. Charlie Pride is a very talented country music singer. Appears to
be a really nice man as well.

Best,
Dot

allth...@ftc-i.net

May 25, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/25/00
Yup. That makes it all the worse when you look at his smiling face realizing that at
the exact moment Charlie Rich is burning the piece of paper with John's name on it,
that John did not know what was going on.

Well, it is over, and John went on to be a mega star. Charlie did not. Guess that
pretty well sums it up.

Best,
Dot