Why I can't be here.

CoronaDoug

Dec 27, 2002, 9:21:26 PM12/27/02
First let me start off by saying that I am a 31 year old ParrotHead since
79"(yes I started out young). Anyway I have tried to post and just read most
of the posts on here for the last seven years or so and I am a member of the
armed forces(Navy). Every time I try to come here I get pushed out/away by
the political mumbo jumbo that is being posted. I know that Jimmy Buffett is
a Democrat and a Liberal but I like the music. I am not a Democrat/Liberal
because of the job that I hold and my beliefs. We are all different in many
ways. Why must the topic of politics influence so many people that it clouds
the reason that we are all fans? Did any of you start listening to Jimmy
because of his political party? Hell I liked Jimmy before politics was the
"thing" for musicians/actors.
What I guess I am trying to say is that I may die tomorrow to protect your
freedom ( if you care) so please just give me the respect to make this a
place where we can all get involved with the music without being ousted due
to our political/social beliefs.
Thank you.

Mayday

Dec 27, 2002, 9:51:00 PM12/27/02
"CoronaDoug" <coron...@excite.com> wrote in message

> What I guess I am trying to say is that I may die tomorrow to protect your
> freedom ( if you care) so please just give me the respect to make this a
> place where we can all get involved with the music without being ousted
due
> to our political/social beliefs.
> Thank you.

I'll drink to that. So where ya stationed and whataya doin' for my Navy
these days.

Mayday

Made of Memories and Phrases

Dec 27, 2002, 10:01:46 PM12/27/02
CoronaDoug wrote:
>What I guess I am trying to say is that I may die tomorrow to protect your
>freedom ( if you care) so please just give me the respect to make this a
>place where we can all get involved with the music without being ousted due
>to our political/social beliefs.
>Thank you.

*APPLAUSE*

~memories and phrases

Everybody's gone
They left the television screaming that the radio's on
Someone stole my shoes
But there's a couple of bananas and a bottle of booze

Agua Girl

Dec 27, 2002, 10:10:42 PM12/27/02

"CoronaDoug" <coron...@excite.com> wrote in message

First off..let me say thank you.

Your right you know..you're out there protecting us...and our
right to free speech. I agree that there seems to be way more
bickering and posturing the past few years than there ever was
before but I guess on line communities are like that. Asking folks
to discuss something else really isn't the answer. It opens up a
whole new can of worms about moderators etc..and really..one
of the things that makes our way worth protecting is the right
to come in here and piss and moan about this policy or that
politician. Luckily we have an answer .. Filters!! That gift
from the almighty..that denizen of sanity..the filter. If you can't
set your newsreader to filter on subject line and content..then
you may have to resort to mass filtering. Figure out where the
bad vibes are coming from and block the sender.
I hope you find a way to enjoy the group. Too many have given
up trying.

AG

preyou

Dec 27, 2002, 11:23:37 PM12/27/02
Well said...and most of all Thanks...I've been deployed more times then I
care to remember....You guys are the best at what you do! you deserve better
medical care, retirement, fix tricare, housing, quality of life, etc....But
with all the Clinton fuck-ups that caused these problems...all of you do
more with less, and you do give 100%. I'm Civil Service Instructor--and I
see it everyday--no money...Hopefully, Bush II will clean this mess up,
soon. Also, no matter how much as us DOD folks would like a Ronald Reagan
sitting at the table, I think we got as close as we're going to
get.....Think what Gore would have done after 9/11.....Probably a fuckin'
group hug!

Well, I'm 32..I too remember sitting on Lake Lanier on my parents house boat
listening to JB. Some things never change no matter what political twist
you put on it.

THANKS FOR GIVING US THE FREEDOM TO SPEAK OUR OPINIONS....YOUR PROTECTING
OUR CONSTITUTION AND US....GOD BLESS!

CafeMojo

Dec 27, 2002, 11:43:01 PM12/27/02
>Subject: Why I can't be here.
>From: "CoronaDoug" coron...@excite.com
>Date: 12/27/2002 9:21 PM Eastern Standard Time

Dear Doug,
I do thank you for your service and I understand the point you are trying to
make. However, I would also politely and respectfully remind you that the
"freedom" you are serving to protect, the freedom you may well put your life on
the line for, is in fact the freedom to do exactly what you have just asked
people here not to do.

In fighting for freedom, you are fighting to protect the politics/beliefs of
those you may disagree with just as much as the politics/beliefs of those you
do agree with.
True, that doesn't alsways make it pleasent or enjoyable or fun, but such is
the cost of freedom and the job you signed on for.

>What I guess I am trying to say is that I may die tomorrow to protect your
>freedom ( if you care) so please just give me the respect to make this a
>place where we can all get involved with the music without being ousted due
>to our political/social beliefs.

Sorry, but while I do thank you and respect what you do - I can't give you the
kind of "respect" you are asking for because that's not what real respect is
about.
No one is outed here, no one is pushed out here due to political/social
beliefs.
You can say whatever you want and stay as long as you care to.
It may not always be the idelic place of escapism you seek to be like the songs
- but it is what it is.

The freedom you're fighting for is alive & well here. Be glad about that.
Relish and savor it.

Your subject headline says "Why I can't be here" - but that's kinda BS because,
you CAN be here - you may CHOOSE not to - but you HAVE the FREEDOM to be here
if you want it. You have a choice, and that's a lot of what freedom - real
freedom - is about.

Just like you stand your ground in the military - stand your ground here as
well, revel in the freedom that exists here, don't be bullied by those that may
disagree with you. Just speak your mind, share your opinions and you may well
find that you have many here that also share your feelings. Get to know them
and don't let the rest spoil your time here.
Thanks again and hang in there!

Just pray that if you ever do have to go into battle that freedom is what
you'll be fighting for. Sadly, so many wars are fought over much less-worthy
causes like money, power, oil and worse.

Best wishes to you and please know that it is my sincerest prayer that none of
our brave military have to put their lives on the line for war in the coming
year.
Peace be unto you.

Nalu kai, cap'n ron

Danny Taddei

Dec 28, 2002, 12:03:28 AM12/28/02
Doug,
Not everyone here is a Democrat/Liberal. I vote republican because libertarians
never win. I am a Christian too. The attitude of most Democrats is more often
outspoken then conservatives. That's why they call us conservatives in the
first place.

Remember this and you will be able to understand much more in life. People most
often do what they truly believe to be the right thing. They don't scream one
way or the other to be part of a pack. They just learned from the pack they
scream from.

Let me give you a scenario that will point my thoughts better then a
definition. Lets say person "A" is a person that is brought up to think that
dignity is the most important thing in the world and they should defend theirs
at all costs and the way to defend it is to stand your ground in an argument no
matter the cost and never, not ever walk away. Lets say person "B" is taught to
think that dignity is the most important thing in the world and they should
protect theirs by never having a heated confrontation with anyone no matter if
they are right or wrong and the only way to truly keep your dignity is to just
walk away. You can clearly see that both believe the same thing but have been
taught to go about achieving it in conflicting manners.

The same is true with most of us. Being who I am I bet you and I would think
quite alike. Many others here would hate me for saying what I feel because I
would often be saying something that belittled their way of thinking. It is
easy to step on the toes of others unless you explicitly try not to. The
strange thing is that you don't need to worry about them unless you are a
politician. You need to do what you feel is right and say what you feel is
right, not so much that you need to change the world but more so to keep you
the way you want to be. The heated conversations can sometimes enlighten you to
think a new way too and if you keep 10% of your mind open for that you can grow
from those you would think are stupid. They may learn a little from you too
sometime down the road.

As for your fighting for our country. I, for one, am extremely grateful for the
men like you every day of my life. I have lived and traveled in foreign
countries since I was two years old. I have spent a huge chunk of my life in
lands where governments and big business are run more like the Mafia and
dictatorships then the milk toast media would ever let you know. I know what
poverty looks like and I know that homeless people in this country live better
lives then the middle class of many other countries. The people that live
protected lives here in this country may never know how lucky they are for you
or how much they appreciate you but you know, like the giver of an anonymous
gift, that you are very much a part of the blessed life they live.

CoronaDoug wrote:

--
Danny Taddei

There’s a horizon on every side. Let your soul inside be the guide and lead the
way.

n a t c h m o

Dec 28, 2002, 9:53:15 AM12/28/02
Doug,

No one is forced to respond to the political crap on this ng. I sure don't.
Especially if one doesn't come around here much. It's easy to scroll past
the political stuff and find plenty of other things to respond to. Ok, it's
mostly Bar B Que, (ha) but still, it's not political.

The James Taylor ng talks only about JT's music, and that group is nearly
dead. I think of it as what it would be like if we were a bunch of
Parrotheads standing around talking before a concert.

This is the internet. Nobody can be 'ousted' from the group. Keep coming
around. You are loved here.

natchmo

preyou

Dec 28, 2002, 10:12:35 AM12/28/02
Doug,
It's me again...I'm sure you've read the last 2 threads....they just proved
your point. I think Al Gore may be in the group. Also, I understand in
your business-- you are reminded daily to be PC, and by all means don't talk
about religion, race, politics, etc..."They" got the power, LOC, LOR,
Article 15's, and shit rolls down hill. Remember reprisal does not exist.
Ya right.

One good point from the last thread. Vote and support who you think is the
best fit. Democracy, ain't it great!

Lastly, It's time we go back and remind ourselves what made this country
what it is today. It was in all likelihood the negative and destructive
crowd that questioned the ideas and beliefs of the time. I'm sure they
weren't afraid of making a few enemies while going out on a limb and
creating positive and constructive change. The military needs members with
character and creativity, and who aren't afraid to speak out when something
is wrong. Confronting opinionated and shared various issues should be
encouraged, but with a sense to make a difference without fear of having a
couple of disagreements.
Thanks again...SD.
shoot me an email pre...@att.net

"Danny Taddei" <cal...@cox.net> wrote in message

Agua Girl

Dec 28, 2002, 10:30:17 AM12/28/02

"preyou" <pre...@att.net> wrote in message

>Confronting opinionated and shared various issues should be
> encouraged, but with a sense to make a difference without fear of having a
> couple of disagreements.
> Thanks again...SD.
> shoot me an email pre...@att.net

There were a few responses like this. How we should
embrace our freedom to debate these issues. How it's
our duty to question our leaders and how expressing
ones opinion could show someone the light.

I agree (except that last part). Absolutely debate,
question, scream your disapproval from the top
steps of the capital building. I just don't understand
the concept of doing it in here.
I know we all get sucked into it. I do.
I read something that I disagree with and the first thing
I want to do is respond..but why? Whats the point?
Does anyone get their information on the countries
political agenda from afjb? I don't. Better sources
donchuknow. Almost everyone in here comes here for
some light hearted banter. The only news we are expecting
to see is someone got a new puppy and now needs a
Buffettesque name or maybe Jimmy got tossed from a Heat
game. I don't understand why anyone would want to change
this from a party to a classroom. Just my .02, and of
course I don't have to read it, I have filters. I just miss all
the folks that didn't.

AG

PirateJohn

Dec 28, 2002, 10:58:53 AM12/28/02
> Every time I try to come here I get pushed out/away by
>the political mumbo jumbo that is being posted. I know that Jimmy Buffett is
>a Democrat and a Liberal but I like the music. I am not a Democrat/Liberal
>because of the job that I hold

First of all, I didn't realize the the DoD was requiring that servicemen and
servicewimmen take an oath wherein they declare that they were conservatives.
Interesting spin on things.

Secondly, from where I sit there was zilch political discussion until some
reichwing jokers and attempted bullies interjected totally unrelated and
offtopic BS into what was simple Buffettesque discussions and a few brave
people with divergent opinions called those SOBs on it.

I've made it plain that I, personally, would like for the political nonsense to
stop but at the same time that doesn't mean that the Clinton bashers should get
carte blanche to run down the last government to give this country peace and
prosperity.

Pirat...@aol.com
Keeper of the Humour List at http://members.aol.com/PirateJohn/pirate1.html

"Mother, mother ocean... I have heard your call" - Jimmy Buffett, A Pirate
Looks At Forty.

Agua Girl

Dec 28, 2002, 11:08:03 AM12/28/02

"PirateJohn" <pirat...@aol.comNOSPAM> wrote in message

> > Every time I try to come here I get pushed out/away by
> >the political mumbo jumbo that is being posted. I know that Jimmy Buffett
is
> >a Democrat and a Liberal but I like the music. I am not a
Democrat/Liberal
> >because of the job that I hold
>
> First of all, I didn't realize the the DoD was requiring that servicemen
and
> servicewimmen take an oath wherein they declare that they were
conservatives.
> Interesting spin on things.
>
> Secondly, from where I sit there was zilch political discussion until some
> reichwing jokers and attempted bullies interjected totally unrelated and
> offtopic BS into what was simple Buffettesque discussions and a few brave
> people with divergent opinions called those SOBs on it.
>
> I've made it plain that I, personally, would like for the political
nonsense to
> stop but at the same time that doesn't mean that the Clinton bashers
should get
> carte blanche to run down the last government to give this country peace
and
> prosperity.

John..if you really want it to stop...stop. So what if someone posts an
opinion you disagree with. No one is sitting at home going hey..I
always thought Clinton was great, now I think he is a cheat and a liar..
anymore than your going to go..hey..I thought Bush was great..now
I think he is a warmongering tree burner. It's pointless. It does nothing
good and it perpetuates an environment that you say you don't like.
Besides that..your opinions are never just posted as opinions but
interspersed with personal insults (those sobs, bullies..etc.)
Stuff like that is not only unnecessary to your cause (it actually
detracts from your message) but it is sure to dissolve any real attempt
at political discussion..which is unwanted anyway...into a real flame
war. There is no point. Be the bigger man. Ignore it. Filter it. If you
really don't want to discuss politics...don't!!! No one is going to think
less of you just because someone else had the last word.

AG

Danny Taddei

Dec 28, 2002, 11:16:03 AM12/28/02
AG,

Everyone has a point in their heart that excepts inspiration. Inspiration comes
from a magic moment when something or someone sparks a flash of enlightenment
or puts that one last straw on the camels back. The reason discussions like
these are happening here is that the writers all know deep in their own heart
that there is a common thread of understanding and acceptance that will almost
automatically be extended to strangers here because unless you have some malice
in hand, you are here because your point of view is in the same place as the
rest of the passers by and residents.

I once had a "screaming democrat" tell me that he would stand on the top of
every roof top and yell until he could get someone to do something about what
he was upset about. My response as a republican type was to laugh and point out
that if he spent half the time doing as he did yelling, the problem would be
gone by now. That was 15 years ago. Today I realize that yelling is the
successful because those that would here you might join with you but yelling
allow won't do it and doing needs to happen at some point.

People are yelling in here and little tornados of energy might spin off from
here and start doing. You never can tell what could happen or who could be
inspired. Those that might do the doing might realize that a compromise in
their thought is necessary to make something happen or even be right to happen.

There are many things in life that I don't agree with. There are more things
that I here that I can't believe people could think. Everything is a learning
experience and no matter if you want to be a part of the world around you are
just let it pass on by letting you ride it where it may go, knowing where you
are in the world is a much more comfortable thing than isolation of thought.
There have been many a lonely star lit night that I turned on the SSB and eves
dropped on conversations going back and forth across the oceans. Some made me
laugh, others made me angry and occasionally I stumbled on to something that
would effect me directly. This NG has the same thing going for all of us as
those transmissions I listen to while out to sea. If you contribute at all, and
do it in even a remotely positive way, you really are helping the wind of
change.

Agua Girl wrote:

Agua Girl

Dec 28, 2002, 11:44:57 AM12/28/02

"Danny Taddei" <cal...@cox.net> wrote in message

Perhaps...I rather think not (at least not here) but I could be
wrong. It has happened. I guess my response than
would be "at what price".
There was a time when every week a couple of new people
would introduce themselves and add their own fun.
When was the last time that happened (I don't count the
political spam). My point is...this is not really the
forum for it. The few folks in here who want to debate
politics seem pretty set in their ways if you ask me. Frankly
I find it hard to believe that calling someone a rightwing
nazi is going to start a little mini tornado of change..tornado
maybe. What it is doing is fostering a change in the group
itself. It is driving away those who comes in here for a little
R & R. It's preventing us from meeting (cyber style) new
friends since few want to join in a political flame war.
It's polarizing those that would be friends.

I have some pretty off the wall religious views and I have
some friends that would totally freak if I ever expressed.
I don't want to change them..I don't want them to change
me. We are friends on a different level than that. I choose
not to discuss religion with them because I value what they
do contribute to my life. I don't subscribe to the theory that
anyone who doesn't accept me for who I am isn't worth knowing.
I think everyone (most everyone) has something to contribute
to my life on some level. It's the same in here. I agree
that we should keep abreast of the goings on in Washington.
That we should vote, speak out, march etc. against that which
we disagree. I just don't agree that this is the place.

It's not for me to tell folks what they can and can't discuss.
Free speech. Post away. Blast the Dems, blast the Reps.
Debate religion if that's what you want. Just recognize the
consequences. Soon..this will be alt.fan.flame.wars. Those
that would have been here to add to the best places to live,
best tequila, how to make key lime pie etc. etc. will
stopped bothering with the group.

Slim Shady

Dec 28, 2002, 11:57:26 AM12/28/02
"CoronaDoug" <coron...@excite.com> wrote in message news:<GU7P9.82245$pe.28...@news2.east.cox.net>...

Don't let these bastards fool you. You are not welcome here nor any
Parrot Head Clubs they are in. Forget the Bullshit the all loathe the
military.

PirateJohn

Dec 28, 2002, 12:05:01 PM12/28/02
rotp...@yahoo.com (Slim Shady) ejaculates:

> Don't let these bastards fool you. You are not welcome here nor any
>Parrot Head Clubs they are in. Forget the Bullshit the all loathe the
>military.

But most of all, Slim, we hate rap. Or crap. Or the DRALS.

Thank you for trolling through. The spelling and written comprehension lessons
can be found through the door on your left ;)

preyou

Dec 28, 2002, 12:24:12 PM12/28/02
Got to agree with PirateJohn....Crawl back in your hole...besides don't you
have a drive-by to get ready for?

"PirateJohn" <pirat...@aol.comNOSPAM> wrote in message

t.a. barnhart

Dec 28, 2002, 3:12:25 PM12/28/02
hey, danny, i am not going to get into it with you over your post, but, damn
dude. dems more outspoken than conservatives? the gop kicked the dems
asses in november because the dems hid in the corner in silence. they
kowtow to dubya as if having a contrary opinion were a guarantee of their
true traitor hearts. and not to mention that 90% of talk radio is
right-wing.

and conservatives are not called that because they are quiet (exhibit 1:
rush limbaugh). it's because the resist change from tradition. by which
standard, few conservatives are that at all! certainly not in the tradition
of edmund burke or barry goldwater.

tt.a., wondering where the bold, outspoken, courageous dems are, now that
paul wellstone is gone

in article 3E0D30EB...@cox.net, Danny Taddei expressed an opinion
thusly 12/28/02 12:03 AM:

Danny Taddei

Dec 28, 2002, 4:14:47 PM12/28/02
Now come on.... I am not making an argument about right and wrong. The business of
media is a business and the rules have been laid down for years. Most of the media
is liberal and if you turn on any daytime show late night comedy or anything of
the like you will never find the conservative view in the lime light. Young single
people (like students) are almost always liberal and since they are the ones with
the most disposable income they have the media siding with them so that
advertisers will spend the money on time. that is not a gop thought, it is how
advertising works and the root of marketing. There is one Rush but there are
dozens that rant from the other side of the aisle.

"t.a. barnhart" wrote:

PirateJohn

Dec 28, 2002, 6:21:05 PM12/28/02
>Most of the media
>is liberal

I might disagree with that

>and if you turn on any daytime show late night comedy or anything of
>the like you will never find the conservative view in the lime light.

Actooly ... I'd agree with that, but that's because the konservative viewpoint
seems to be dull, dull, dull. Plus, a major part of the konservative agenda
genuinely is the repression of blacks, gays, and other minorities and their
cultures and most media wants to include those minorities.

Danny Taddei

Dec 28, 2002, 8:29:35 PM12/28/02
John, Dude!
That's not it at all. Really and truly, there are 3 things I do in life. I am a
uscg captain, a flight instructor and I work in music. I did well at a young age
in music and bought a flight school and became a CFI. The music came first. After
someone broke in and ripped off my studio I jumped on my sailboat and sailed from
LA to Miami where and got my USCG master along the way. I started working as a
captain because I needed something to keep me from becoming the man I was 12
years ago in LA. All the time I have done music and now I have a studio and still
do music. Those reading in San Diego may have heard the Encinitas Ford
commercials with the steel drum music. That is my work. Those in Houston and
Austin that have heard tropical car commercials, they were probably me too. I do
commercials and I studied this stuff. The media markets, they don't take sides.
Taking sides is just part of the marketing and they side with liberal all the
time because there is more money in it. They don't market to them exclusively
because there is money in conservative too but there is much more in liberals.
This isn't an opinion John and I am not saying anything other then what it is.
Younger folks tend to think more liberal and younger folks tend to be more
spontaneous with their spending. You and most people will notice 2 things when
watching TV. The things you really like and the things that grate against your
skin. The bland stuff that doesn't spark your interest will pass by and you would
never notice it. If one side of the aisle bugs the snot out of you then you will
notice every time you see it. Maybe that is where your perspective is coming
from.

Either way, I have no beef with you so please don't think I am ranting against
you. I just want to make the point because I think awareness in media is very
important. Think about it like this.... have you ever heard a song that you
didn't like or even hated only to find yourself singing it and maybe even liking
it a year or two later? Repetition does that to you. That is why in an earlier
post I stated that you should stand strong on who you are and what you think but
leave 10% of your mind open to new ideas. If you are not aware of the bombardment
of fear that the media shots out at you then you will inadvertently become a
victim to it. Fear is how things sell and without giving you a 4 year degree it
would be hard to state my case though there are some fine examples. Think back to
any strong commercial and check to see if this was done - The first thing a
commercial must do is find your insecurity. The second thing it must do is tell
you about it and make you think about it. The next thing is to show how the
product they want to sell will fix your problem. Over time the social
repercussions are extreme.

Anyway, the above has nothing to do with my standing on issues. It is just the
way it works if you want to successfully sell something with advertising.

PirateJohn wrote:

PirateJohn

Dec 29, 2002, 12:02:17 AM12/29/02
da...@taddei.org writes:

>I jumped on my sailboat and sailed from
>LA to Miami

Presumably that involved a passage through the Panama Canal with a small boat?
I'm impressed!

> there is money in conservative too but there is much more in liberals.

Ya, know ... that honestly surprises me. Pleasantly, perhaps, but it surprises
me just the same.

>Either way, I have no beef with you so please don't think I am ranting
>against
>you.

LOL! I must genuinely be getting a reputation for being fiery! Trust me
Danny, I understand Mon.

>I stated that you should stand strong on who you are and what you think but
>leave 10% of your mind open to new ideas.

Good point. I'm in the middle of listening to a lot of new music to see if
there's anything since the 80's that I'd enjoy (can we say "olde pharte"?? ;)
and despite all the jokes abvout Eminem I guess that I'll havetah give the guy
a listen. Might learn something ;)

Da Parrot-chick

Dec 29, 2002, 12:37:56 AM12/29/02

> da...@taddei.org writes:
>
> >I jumped on my sailboat and sailed from
> >LA to Miami
>
> Presumably that involved a passage through the Panama Canal with a small
boat?
> I'm impressed!

That's impressive in its own right, but not nearly as much as rounding the
Horn. I've seen it in movies and read about it often enough to have little
to no desire to do it. Tierra del Fuego is bee-yatch.

Danny, my respect for you, already high, has risen :)

Phil Clark

Dec 29, 2002, 9:52:23 AM12/29/02
I find it slightly ironic that you are claiming to be fighting for our
freedom (and I only say claiming because this is the internet, and anyone
can claim to be anything, whether they are or are not what they claim to be)
yet you are asking us to give up that freedom to discuss whatever we like
amongst ourselves. So here is my suggestion... If you don't like those
conversations, don't read them. When you see a subject line that appears to
be something you don't want to hear about, mark it as read and move on.
(That is what I do.) But don't ask us to give up what you are fighting to
defend. That makes what you are doing kind of pointless. And what you are
doing is far from pointless.

--
Phil

Danny Taddei

Dec 29, 2002, 12:11:12 PM12/29/02

PirateJohn wrote:

> da...@taddei.org writes:
>
> >I jumped on my sailboat and sailed from
> >LA to Miami
>
> Presumably that involved a passage through the Panama Canal with a small boat?
> I'm impressed!

Oh YES! the alternative gets way to cold for something called fun. I am a firm
believer that the only proper place for ice is in a drink!!!

Danny Taddei

Dec 29, 2002, 12:16:24 PM12/29/02

Da Parrot-chick wrote:

Well thank you very much but some of the credit for the good life needs
definitely to be aimed at my wife who sticks by me on ever crazy whim.

I've seen the 1908 (or something like that) movie with the old guy narrating
that rounds the horn the wrong way. Is that the show you saw? What an awesome
movie 'eh?

julieroja

Dec 29, 2002, 12:21:21 PM12/29/02

"Danny Taddei" wrote

> Oh YES! the alternative gets way to cold for something called fun. I am a
firm
> believer that the only proper place for ice is in a drink!!!

I like your philosophy!

Julie

Danny Taddei

Dec 29, 2002, 12:28:32 PM12/29/02
Phil,

I am not picking here but since at least one other post said something like
this I wanted to point something out. I think it is important to support our
troops no matter the details of what they are doing. They get orders and they
follow them. Those orders may be as much against the soldiers believes as they
are against yours but they MUST follow orders and they do. Often they follow
those orders that they don't agree with right to their death. Knowing that you
may be ending your own life and doing it for code or loyalty demands the
largess type of respect that can be given and extra concessions should be paid.

I find it healthy to place myself in the shows of the other person and take a
good look around before passing judgment. I have blood boiled more then a time
or two when the local cop flips his lights and breaks traffic just to get to
the taco bell a little faster. After thinking about the idea of what that cop
goes through on a daily basis I come up with 2 independent thoughts.... 1) He
really shouldn't use his authority to do something the rest of us can't because
it makes us jealous and a little angry because of it .... 2) It is only the
jealous that is making me made and really that guy would be first on the scene
to anything nasty in my area and will stand in the way of bullets should they
fly at me. In the end, I figure that I am glad to allow the guy a few extra
benefits so long as he doesn't start infringing on something to hard. He
deserves a little gift in life because of what he is sworn to do for me. I
think that a soldier deserves respect like that only 100 fold. I hope you see
my point because even if he isn't a soldier there is no lose from us here to
consider him sincere. If he is a soldier, what a terrible way some of us have
acted.

Phil Clark wrote:

PirateJohn

Dec 29, 2002, 1:16:22 PM12/29/02
> I am a firm
>believer that the only proper place for ice is in a drink!!!

A-men. Had someone ask me recently if I had ever gone snow skiing and I just
sorta laughed a painful laugh. Won a stage at an Olympic Development bicycle
race years ago in the snow and cold and swore that I'd never, EVER do anything
halfway athletic in the cold again in my life. Although rules are meant to be
broken ... ;)

Da Parrot-chick

Dec 29, 2002, 3:55:21 PM12/29/02

> Da Parrot-chick wrote:
> > "PirateJohn" <pirat...@aol.comNOSPAM> wrote in message

> > > Presumably that involved a passage through the Panama Canal with a
small
> > boat?
> > > I'm impressed!
> >
> > That's impressive in its own right, but not nearly as much as rounding
the
> > Horn. I've seen it in movies and read about it often enough to have
little
> > to no desire to do it. Tierra del Fuego is bee-yatch.
> >
> > Danny, my respect for you, already high, has risen :)
>
> Well thank you very much but some of the credit for the good life needs
> definitely to be aimed at my wife who sticks by me on ever crazy whim.

Boy don't you know it. I got the same deal--wouldn't know what to do
without her in my life.

> I've seen the 1908 (or something like that) movie with the old guy
narrating
> that rounds the horn the wrong way. Is that the show you saw? What an
awesome
> movie 'eh?

I watched three of the four versions of "Mutiny on the Bounty" and they were
pretty graphic. "Hawaii" with Julie Andrews and Max von Sydow was pretty
convincing. Then I watched an incredible true story of a man who sailed
around the world solo (more people have walked on the moon or climbed
Everest than done a solo circumnavigation). Took him 54 days between
landfalls, and he had videotape records of the weather and seas.

Here's a transcription of the helmsman's soliloquy from MOTB w/Marlon Brando
& Trevor Howard, to show some small idea of what it's like to round the
Horn. The reality is probably far worse:

Helmsman : "It was like riding a cork over a waterfall, sir. And wind is
not the name for what blows in your face--it's something made of iron. It
swings at ya from the west--never changing, day in, day out. Seas as high
as the mainmast. We had lifelines rigged everywhere, sir, and there were
still sixteen men washed overboard. Cold? Three men froze in the yards
(yardarms--those long poles sticking out from the masts on large sailing
ships from which the square sails hung). Frozen stiff, sir. Couldn't get
them down without cutting their fingers from the shrouds. I was lucky."
Holds up his left hand, missing the index finger. "But that's the Horn for
ya, sir. A delightful passage!"

Danny Taddei

Dec 29, 2002, 3:58:03 PM12/29/02

Phil Clark wrote:

> You make a good point, but let me ask you... how does anything I said even
> come close to implying a lack of support of what our troops are doing. I
> fully support our men and women overseas. I even have a friend and a second
> cousin serving in the navy. All I said is that to ask people to give up the
> freedom to say whatever is on their mind in a newsgroup like this when you
> are willing to lay your life on the line for that (and other) freedom(s) is
> kind of strange to me.

I didn't mean to imply that you weren't supportive. I was worried I might not
come across right too. What I was trying to say is that part of that support
should be in the way that we give them extra concessions such as not attacking
them for whatever feelings they have. When you and others brought up the point
that they were also standing up for free speech, I think he knew that and
didn't mean it the way you took it. I think we all owe them a softer approach
since they have it hard everywhere else.

I am sorry I didn't see this post at the NG so I could address it there in case
others didn't understand what I was saying. I do try hard to be concise but
then fast pace posts don't allow for that very often.

> I am an artist, and I look at things like this as something akin to the idea
> of censorship. If a person chooses not to read something that they disagree
> with, that is personal choice and they are free to make that choice. For a
> person to say "I don't want to see it, and I don't want anyone to post it"
> borders on a call for censorship.

I would think that someone in the business of defending would also have the
inquisitive mind that would feel compelled to read everything they came across
that they felt might be relevant to them. Not reading a post would just not be
an option.

> It is saying "I don't want to see it, and
> I don't think anyone else should see it either". That is MY choice to make
> (to read it or not) not someone else's. If I want to read it, it is there
> for me to read. If I don't want to read it, I can skip over it.

I agree with you for the idea that this is good for most people. Some like I
said would not feel that to be an option. So, instead of going about making the
general statement you did that is most often what I would say myself, I think
maybe a deeper look and more compassion might have been in order. And - this
is still not to say that I don't agree with you. I do. I only think more
concessions are due the soldiers of this world.

> Take away that choice and we are little better than the people our armed
> forces are fighting against. Freedom is not a partial concept. We will not
> have "some" freedom. It is all or nothing. I choose full freedom. I choose
> to live in the greatest country in the world. A country made great because
> it values freedom.

Once again I do agree with you but I have added to the thought a little. I am
going to send this post to the NG too because I don't want others to think I am
in anyway disagreeing with you. If an apology is do you then you have it. I did
not mean to single you out as having a hard hand when in fact I don't think you
do.

Danny Taddei

Fearless

Dec 29, 2002, 3:50:28 PM12/29/02
"CoronaDoug" <coron...@excite.com> wrote in message
>o please just give me the respect to make this a
> place where we can all get involved with the music

If this were a place where we *only* got involved with the music, the
landscape would be barren, and it would look like alt.fan.james.taylor,
alt.fan.steely-dan, and all the other music groups whose raison d'etre
records infrequently and people quickly run about of patience debating
whether FSOTW is better than A1A.

The folks around here have broader interests and greater intellect than to
merely debate the music of Jimmy Buffett, which can get boring and tedious
in short order. The parrotthead lifestyle (whatever that means to you)
encompasses an incredible diversity of ages, tastes, and (yes) politics. If
you don't like the politics, don't read the messages. One of the nice
things about usenet newsgroups is that reading the messages is entirely
voluntary. No one is forcing you to read the political threads. No one is
forcing you to accept a viewpoint contrary to yours. No one is dissing the
fact that you're serving our country defending our freedom to sit at our
computer and freely debate political topics with people who we may have
never met except electronically.

You have my deepest respect for your service to the US. I genuinely
appreciate the fact that you (and my nephew) may well be killed defending my
right to disagree with you and with the current political party in power.
Whatever my opinion may be, however, I pray that you don't ever see combat,
and that if you do, you don't fall into harms way.

Godspeed.