Thin Skinned Romey and other musings

1 view

Roger T. Pipe

Jun 13, 1997, 3:00:00 AM6/13/97

On Fri, 13 Jun 1997 07:27:48 GMT, be...@mindspring.com.nospam
(===[==Rob===-) wrote:

>If you really can't stand the "watered down talent pool" on the 4 hour
>show then here's some simple advice... Don't listen. Turn the radio
>off until the local show comes on.
Such a witty retort affiliate boy. Many, if not most of Romey
audience in SoCal have turned off, that is why he has gone to the
local show. He has more jack for the network and that is what it's
all about. Jim is not really the pimp in the box, he's more like a
whore lately.
By the way, even though the talent pool is watered down, that is not
to say that some listeners from affiliates are not good callers. Some
are. But do me a favor. Count the number of calls in a 4 hour show
that contain some sort of weak ass affilaiate bashing. Who cares
which freaking loser market is more Redneck than the other.
The only reason this new Jungle is even on in LA, is because it
started here. NY, Chi, Boston, huge media markets don't have the
Jungle because it has lost most of its edge. Sports talk is an
overdone format, but Rome once had something new to offer. Now, I
cringe everytime he takes a call.

Rog

LATE

===[==Rob===-

Jun 17, 1997, 3:00:00 AM6/17/97

>> be...@mindspring.com.nospam (===[==Rob===-) wrote:
>>If you really can't stand the "watered down talent pool" on the 4 hour
>>show then here's some simple advice... Don't listen. Turn the radio
>>off until the local show comes on.

> Rogr...@ix.netcom.com (Roger T. Pipe) wrote:
>Such a witty retort affiliate boy. Many, if not most of Romey
>audience in SoCal have turned off, that is why he has gone to the
>local show. He has more jack for the network and that is what it's
>all about. Jim is not really the pimp in the box, he's more like a
>whore lately.

Help me out here. I've only been listening for about 3 months now. I
do not know when The Jungle came into my area (Tampa) and I don't know
when it went nationwide. When you say "lately", what do you mean?
I've been under the impression that the show has been nationwide for
quite a while now...

>By the way, even though the talent pool is watered down, that is not
>to say that some listeners from affiliates are not good callers. Some
>are. But do me a favor. Count the number of calls in a 4 hour show
>that contain some sort of weak ass affilaiate bashing. Who cares
>which freaking loser market is more Redneck than the other.

I see your point but I disagree that it's not usually good
entertainment and that's what the show is all about. Sure some calls
are bad but that's what the hammer is for. Sure H-Town bashes on
Fat-Antonio but it's great to hear one 'neck call another 'neck an
even bigger 'neck as long as the reason is funny.

>The only reason this new Jungle is even on in LA, is because it
>started here. NY, Chi, Boston, huge media markets don't have the
>Jungle because it has lost most of its edge. Sports talk is an
>overdone format, but Rome once had something new to offer. Now, I
>cringe everytime he takes a call.
>Rog
>LATE

Hey, it's just my opinion but I think the Jim Rome Show is the best on
the radio period. And, I agree with you that Rome has something to
offer over all of the others. It's more than just a couple washed-up
hasbeen's/neverwas's talking about the old days and how the game was
better back then. How many other shows are carried 4 hours live and
rebroadcast again for 4 more hours at night on a 50,000 watt station?
As far as NY, Chi, and Boston not having the Jungle, who cares? It's
their loss. Maybe eventually they'll sign-on. If not I think Rome's
still got 40 others...

Rob in Tampa

DonPMenard

Jun 18, 1997, 3:00:00 AM6/18/97

>Sure H-Town bashes on
>Fat-Antonio but it's great to hear one 'neck call another 'neck an
>even bigger 'neck as long as the reason is funny.

Let me assure you that Houston has no monopoly on 'necks.............