Holmes and Star Trek

ich

Dec 28, 2002, 9:35:37 AM12/28/02
Searching for Infos about Holmes and Star Trek.

thanks
Suvok

Charles Prepolec

Dec 28, 2002, 11:44:28 AM12/28/02

Suvok wrote:
> Searching for Infos about Holmes and Star Trek.

Not sure what sort of information you might be looking for, but a book of
Sherlock Holmes/Star Trek crossover fiction called "Federation Holmes" is
available from Classic Specialties at
http://www.sherlock-holmes.com/breese.htm#federation This collection
reprints stories originally published in the fanzine Holmesian Federation
between 1978 and 1991.

The only other material that comes to mind related to both Star Trek and
Holmes is that Leonard Nimoy portrayed Holmes on stage in a version of the
Gillette play during the 1970s. There were also a few episodes of Star Trek:
The Next Generation that had Data playing Holmes in a holodeck scenario
against a computer generated Moriarty. Oh, and Nicholas Meyer, who wrote
"The Seven Percent Solution" pastiche, was director, with a fair bit of
script input, on both Star Trek 2: The Wrath of Khan and Star Trek 6: The
Undiscovered Country. In the latter film Spock, up to a bit of detective
work aboard the Enterprise, makes some comment about an old ancestor's maxim
that "Once you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, must be the
truth". The inference being perhaps that Spock is somehow related to Holmes.

I'm sure I've missed some connections (I seem to recall Bill Shatner writing
something called 'Believe' that was about Conan Doyle and Houdini for
instance) but that is about all I can think of off the top of my head at
this moment.

Cheers!

--
Charles Prepolec
www.bakerstreetdozen.com

Story submissions for "Curious Incidents Volume 2: Being a Collection of the
Further Adventures of Sherlock Holmes" are now being accepted at
www.bakerstreetdozen.com/submissions.html

AN

Dec 29, 2002, 2:07:52 AM12/29/02

"Charles Prepolec" <3157...@3web.net> wrote in message

> I'm sure I've missed some connections (I seem to recall Bill Shatner
writing
> something called 'Believe' that was about Conan Doyle and Houdini for
> instance) but that is about all I can think of off the top of my head at
> this moment.

Also a Star Trek novel, Death's Angel by Kathleen Sky has murders on board
the Enterprise, an alien ambassador, Si-s-s-s (click), dresses up as, and
imitates Holmes while trying to solve them.

AN

Carl L. Heifetz

Dec 30, 2002, 6:41:56 PM12/30/02
Greetings Suvok, Live Long and Prosper.
I believe that there were at least 2 episodes of Star Trek Next
Generation that had a Sherlockian theme. They centered around a
self-aware holidek (sp?) Moriarty against Data, playing as Sherlock
Holmes for fun. However, the reenactment backfired when Moriarty almost
destroyed Enterprise. A writer for that TV show - Nicholas Meyer - wrote
several books about Sherlock Holmes. One was the "7% Solution" which was
also a successful motion picture.
If you have a strong stomach, I would be happy to send you- off list - a
copy of my Sherlockian/Trekkan pastich entitled "A Bauble in Space
Times" tying together the Adventure of the Blue Carbucle and the
characters of the first Star Trek. Name your poison: WordPerfect, MS
Word, or ASCII Text.
G. Norton, Esquire aka Carl L. Heifetz
Private Consulting Microbiologist

just some guy

Jan 1, 2003, 12:47:12 PM1/1/03
and Wm Shatner played Stapleton in the 1972 tv-film of "Hound of the
Baskervilles," opposite Stewart Granger and Bernard Fox.

I think Leonard Nimoy talks about the genesis of the Spock character in "I am
not Spock" (I've not seen the updated "I am Spock"), and says that he brought
Sherlock Holmes' characteristics to the role.

The first Moriarty episode of TNG was "Elementary My Dear Data," in which Data
and Geordie are Holmes and Watson; the simulated Moriarty tries to escape the
holodeck and acheive immortality. The second, "Ship in a Bottle," has Moriarty
seemingly succeding in this plan. They're both pretty taut and intelligent
episodes.

"The Homesian Federation" ran 8 issues in the late 70s and early 80s. Dana
Martin Batory was a frequent contributor. Stories ranged from Spock-as-Holmes
to time-traveling-back-to-Victorian-London; I think there was even a Dr Who in
there. A great effort.

Charles Prepolec

Jan 1, 2003, 3:34:41 PM1/1/03
"just some guy" wrote:

> and Wm Shatner played Stapleton in the 1972 tv-film of "Hound of the
> Baskervilles," opposite Stewart Granger and Bernard Fox.

Dear me! I knew that I had forgotten something obvious in my previous
posting. I expect it is the result of trying desperately to repress all
memory of that bizarrely cast and badly produced television production.
Still has the dubious destinction of being the all-time worst version of
"The Hound of the Baskervilles" ever commited to the screen, large or small,
at least in my opinion.

> "The Holmesian Federation" ran 8 issues in the late 70s and early 80s.

Dana
> Martin Batory was a frequent contributor. Stories ranged from
Spock-as-Holmes
> to time-traveling-back-to-Victorian-London; I think there was even a Dr
Who in
> there. A great effort.

8 issues? Oh no, this means that I'm missing volume 8, as 7 was my last. The
search is on!

"The Holmesian Federation" certainly was a whole lot of fun! Sometimes the
stories worked very well, in other cases the combination of genres was
simply awful, but the fanzine itself was always a pleasure to receive! And
yes, I fondly remember the Dr. Who/Holmes story titled "The Adventure of the
Crack in Eternity" that appeared in issue 6. Some charming illustrations
accompanied the story too. Another fondly remembered piece was Ralph E.
Vaughan's "The Adventure of the Ancient Gods" that combined Holmes with
Lovecraft's Cthulhu mythos back in issue 4. Extraordinarily fun stuff!

Cheers!

--
Charles Prepolec
www.bakerstreetdozen.com

Story submissions for "Curious Incidents Volume 2: Being a Collection of the

Further Adventures of Sherlock Holmes" are being accepted until February 28,
2003 at www.bakerstreetdozen.com/submissions.html

Regina Stinson

Jan 1, 2003, 5:44:27 PM1/1/03
>> and Wm Shatner played Stapleton in the 1972 tv-film of "Hound of the
>> Baskervilles," opposite Stewart Granger and Bernard Fox.

>Still has the dubious destinction of being the all-time worst version of

>"The Hound of the Baskervilles" ever commited to the screen, large or small,
>at least in my opinion.

Worse than the Dudley Moore farce?

~A Ribston-Pippin

William Hughes

Jan 1, 2003, 6:19:44 PM1/1/03
On Wed, 01 Jan 2003 17:47:12 GMT, in alt.fan.holmes just some guy
<just_s...@somewhere.xxx> wrote:

> and Wm Shatner played Stapleton in the 1972 tv-film of "Hound of the
> Baskervilles," opposite Stewart Granger and Bernard Fox.
>
> I think Leonard Nimoy talks about the genesis of the Spock character in "I am
> not Spock" (I've not seen the updated "I am Spock"), and says that he brought
> Sherlock Holmes' characteristics to the role.
>
> The first Moriarty episode of TNG was "Elementary My Dear Data," in which Data
> and Geordie are Holmes and Watson; the simulated Moriarty tries to escape the
> holodeck and acheive immortality. The second, "Ship in a Bottle," has Moriarty
> seemingly succeding in this plan. They're both pretty taut and intelligent
> episodes.

That second episode has what I think may the the best line to ever come out of a
television show:

Picard: "All this (gestures around) may just be an elaborate simulation running
in a little box on somebody's table."

William Hughes, San Antonio, Texas - email: cvp...@texas.net
website: The Carrier Project, http://cvproj.home.texas.net/

Charles Prepolec

Jan 1, 2003, 8:34:50 PM1/1/03
A Ribston-Pippin wrote in regards to my comments on the Shatner/Granger
television version of "The Hound of the Baskervilles":

> Worse than the Dudley Moore farce?

A most emphatic 'yes'! The Moore farce was just that, a farce, regardless of
how badly executed it might have been. At least the laughs that it generated
from me were more-or-less intentional. The Stewart Granger/William Shatner
Hound doesn't have that excuse going for it. When I spotted the
characteristic Hollywood hills between buildings during a scene featuring a
stroll down Baker Street, I knew things were bad....and it just got worse
from there!

Paul E. Jamison

Jan 1, 2003, 10:36:03 PM1/1/03
Regina Stinson wrote:

It's a toss-up, true. But I'd give the blue ribbon, so to speak,
to the 1972 film. At least the Dudley Moore/Peter Cook
version was *supposed* to have been played for laughs.
Granted, the laughs weren't there, but still...

I mean, Stewart Granger, of "The Virginian", as Sherlock
Holmes?! Even Roger Moore as Holmes makes better
sense. Bernard Fox made a good Watson, as I recall, if
you like your Watsons as the Nigel-Bruce-idiot variety.

Dreadful film. Just dreadful.

Paul E. Jamison

--

"There's more pressure on a vet to get it right.
People say 'It was God's will' when Granny dies,

Gordon Davie

Jan 3, 2003, 3:40:34 PM1/3/03
William Hughes wrote:
> On Wed, 01 Jan 2003 17:47:12 GMT, in alt.fan.holmes just some guy
> <just_s...@somewhere.xxx> wrote:

>> The first Moriarty episode of TNG was "Elementary My Dear Data," in
>> which Data and Geordie are Holmes and Watson; the simulated Moriarty
>> tries to escape the holodeck and acheive immortality. The second,
>> "Ship in a Bottle," has Moriarty seemingly succeding in this plan.
>> They're both pretty taut and intelligent episodes.
>
> That second episode has what I think may the the best line to ever
> come out of a television show:
>
> Picard: "All this (gestures around) may just be an elaborate
> simulation running in a little box on somebody's table."

Oh yes, I loved that line. Followed moments later by Reg Barclay (the last
line in the episode): "End program!"

--
Gordon Davie
Edinburgh, Scotland

"Slipped the surly bonds of Earth...to touch the face of God"

Regina Stinson

Jan 3, 2003, 3:42:14 PM1/3/03
> "Hound of the

>all-time worst version of

>> >"The Hound of the Baskervilles" ever commited

>> Worse than the Dudley Moore farce?

To which Paul E. Jamison added:

>It's a toss-up, true. But I'd give the blue ribbon, so to speak,
>to the 1972 film. At least the Dudley Moore/Peter Cook
>version was *supposed* to have been played for laughs.
>Granted, the laughs weren't there, but still...

Yes, that is what I was referring to.

Paul continued:

>I mean, Stewart Granger, of "The Virginian", as Sherlock
>Holmes?! Even Roger Moore as Holmes makes better
>sense. Bernard Fox made a good Watson, as I recall, if
>you like your Watsons as the Nigel-Bruce-idiot variety.
>
>Dreadful film. Just dreadful.

Or as a review of this film from David Stuart Davies' book "Holmes of the
Movies" puts it: "It was a cheap and shoddy production. One American reviewer
wrote that the outdoor moor sets were so bad they seemed to hvae been borrowed
from a children's show: 'the stars were so obviously tramping through
plastic.'"

ROFL!! I admit I used to have this fiasco on video tape, but I taped over it
before the cassette had a chance to self-destruct.

~A Ribston-Pippin

Bobbo

Jan 11, 2003, 6:35:33 AM1/11/03
On Sat, 28 Dec 2002 09:44:28 -0700, "Charles Prepolec"
<3157...@3web.net> wrote:

>Suvok wrote:
>> Searching for Infos about Holmes and Star Trek.

>The only other material that comes to mind related to both Star Trek and

>Holmes is that Leonard Nimoy portrayed Holmes on stage in a version of the
>Gillette play during the 1970s.

Does anyone know if a videotape of this stage play exists? I would
love to see Nimoy in his prime portray Holmes. It's a damn shame he
never portrayed Holmes on film.

-Bob Saunders

"Let me see -- I've been wealthy many times and always lost it, usually through governments inflating the money, or confiscating -- 'nationalizing' or 'liberating' -- something I owned. 'Put not your faith in princes,' Ira; since they don't produce, they always steal."
-Lazarus Long

John C. Bunnell

Jan 15, 2003, 3:37:15 PM1/15/03
> 8 issues? Oh no, this means that I'm missing volume 8,
> as 7 was my last. The search is on!

Be warned that Holmesian Federation #8 is likely to be really, really
vanishingly rare if you can find a copy at all. That issue contained a
long story crossing Holmes with Chelsea Quinn Yarbro's "St. Germain"
vampire character that Yarbro had explicitly refused permission to
publish, and when the story was printed anyway there was a moderately
dramatic legal brangle in which Yarbro ultimately prevailed -- at which
point the issue went out of circulation; I imagine any copies left in
the editor's possession had to be pulped.

#8's contents also included two stories by Dana Martin Batory (the
author of the material recompiled as FEDERATION HOLMES, mentioned
upthread), two short pieces by Brad Keefauver, two more by Eileen Roy,
and one each by Jan Lindner and Robert F. Fleissner. [Yes, I've got a
copy here, which I'm not parting with....] Personally, I always
considered the Batory stories interesting but uneven, but that's my own
bias. (I should note in the interests of full disclosure that a story
of mine, "The Adventure of the Unearthly Cat", appeared in Holmesian
Federation #7.)

--
= John C. Bunnell
= JCBu...@sff.net

"I don't so much suspend disbelief as joyously throw it away."
-- Susan Shwartz

Charles Prepolec

Jan 18, 2003, 7:16:26 PM1/18/03
John C. Bunnell wrote re: Holmesian Federation #8:

> Be warned that Holmesian Federation #8 is likely to be really, really

> vanishingly rare if you can find a copy at all... there was a moderately

> dramatic legal brangle in which Yarbro ultimately prevailed -- at which
> point the issue went out of circulation; I imagine any copies left in
> the editor's possession had to be pulped.

Now that I was not aware of, thanks for the heads-up. Still, I'll give it a
shot tracking down a copy, although suddenly my chances at success seem slim
indeed.

BTW John, I thought "The Adventure of the Unearthly Cat" to be one of the
best stories to appear in Holmesian Federation. Well done and thanks for the
entertainment.

Cheers!

Charles Prepolec
email: cha...@bakerstreetdozen.com
http://bakerstreetdozen.com

John C. Bunnell

Jan 20, 2003, 6:14:11 PM1/20/03
> BTW John, I thought "The Adventure of the Unearthly Cat" to be
> one of the best stories to appear in Holmesian Federation. Well
> done and thanks for the entertainment.

Thank you! When I decided I wanted to try a crossover story, it took me
quite a while to figure out a situation in which I could keep both the
Holmesian and Enterprise characters reasonably true to themselves.

If the zine hadn't imploded when it did, I had had plans to develop a
couple of other crossover tales (not Star Trek, though) -- there's a
throwaway reference to at least one of them in "Unearthly Cat". I may
yet write at least one of those someday (bonus points to anyone who can
deduce the crossover that would be involved in "The Adventure of the
Ketterley Rings").