Harry Potter fanfics

1 view

Craig McMartin

May 9, 2003, 7:23:29 PM5/9/03
A thread from a few days ago i just read got me thinking. Has anyone ever
asked JK in an interview how she feels about all the HP fanfics that are out
there? Does she like/hate the fact they exist? Does she feel violated that
someone would use HER characters without her consent? Or is she flattered?
And does she ever actually read any of them?

Lots of questions i know, but im curious to find out.

c_man_uk

simpson

May 9, 2003, 7:46:59 PM5/9/03
Craig McMartin <cr...@cmcmartin.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in message

I was wondering the exact same things today.
Sooz :-)
http://members.lycos.co.uk/suesimpson/

Geoff Watson

May 9, 2003, 7:34:51 PM5/9/03

"Craig McMartin" <cr...@cmcmartin.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in message
> A thread from a few days ago i just read got me thinking. Has anyone ever
> asked JK in an interview how she feels about all the HP fanfics that are
out
> there? Does she like/hate the fact they exist? Does she feel violated that
> someone would use HER characters without her consent? Or is she flattered?
> And does she ever actually read any of them?

I'm pretty sure she won't read them.

If she did, and one was similar to what she was writing, she could be
accused
of plagarism.

That happened to Marion Zimmer Bradley (and the 'fan' won the court case.)
The American law system is insane.

Geoff.

Craig McMartin

May 9, 2003, 7:39:41 PM5/9/03

"Geoff Watson" <geoff...@ihug.com.au> wrote in message

This isn't America though. And with the cash she has, she could crush the
poor chump that tried to sue her into the ground.

c_man_uk

The REAL Naminanu

May 9, 2003, 7:39:13 PM5/9/03

"simpson" <sooz...@virgin.net> wrote in message
There was unusaully healthy deabte about this a while ago - if you do a
Google search it should come up.

Will

Craig McMartin

May 9, 2003, 7:53:13 PM5/9/03

"The REAL Naminanu" <nos...@atall.com> wrote in message

I dont use Google. Thank you for the suggestion though.

c_man_uk

Troels Forchhammer

May 9, 2003, 7:58:13 PM5/9/03
simpson wrote:

> Craig McMartin <cr...@cmcmartin.freeserve.co.uk> wrote:
>>
>> A thread from a few days ago i just read got me thinking. Has anyone ever
>> asked JK in an interview how she feels about all the HP fanfics that are
>
> I was wondering the exact same things today.

Yes, such a question has been asked, but I don't remember the
answer and I don't seem to be able to find it again right now.
Sorry :-/

--
Troels Forchhammer
Valid mail is t.forch(a)mail.dk

A good bookshop is just a genteel Black Hole that knows how to read.
-- (Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!)

Troels Forchhammer

May 9, 2003, 8:02:42 PM5/9/03
Troels Forchhammer wrote:

> I don't seem to be able to find it again right now. Sorry :-/

Ha! Found it anyway ;-)

<http://www.scholastic.com/harrypotter/author/transcript2.htm>
From October 16, 2000

Question: What do you think of fan fiction being written
about your characters, and have you read any of
them on the Internet?
Rowling: I've read some of it. I find it very flattering
that people love the characters that much.

--
Troels Forchhammer
Valid mail is t.forch(a)mail.dk

Ash nazg durbatuluk,
ash nazg gimbatul,
ash nazg thrakatuluk
agh burzum ishi krimpatul.
-- Tolkien in The Fellowship of the Ring

Craig McMartin

May 9, 2003, 8:09:15 PM5/9/03

"Troels Forchhammer" <Tro...@ThisIsFake.dk> wrote in message

> Troels Forchhammer wrote:
> >
> > I don't seem to be able to find it again right now. Sorry :-/
>
> Ha! Found it anyway ;-)
>
> <http://www.scholastic.com/harrypotter/author/transcript2.htm>
> From October 16, 2000
>
> Question: What do you think of fan fiction being written
> about your characters, and have you read any of
> them on the Internet?
> Rowling: I've read some of it. I find it very flattering
> that people love the characters that much.
>
> --
> Troels Forchhammer
> Valid mail is t.forch(a)mail.dk

Thanks dude! You the man! ^_^

c_man_uk

Thomas Sarp

May 9, 2003, 8:37:26 PM5/9/03
Craig McMartin wrote...

[Fanfic writers suing authors]

> This isn't America though. And with the cash she has, she could crush the
> poor chump that tried to sue her into the ground.

But it would cost her both time and money, which IMO could probably be
spent better elsewhere.

--
Thomas Sarp

From-adress is valid, but will only be checked at full-moon

Shadow

May 9, 2003, 10:24:36 PM5/9/03

"Geoff Watson" <geoff...@ihug.com.au> wrote in message

Oh what-EVER. Fan violates copyright, writes an un-copyrightable fan fic
and sues the author when his story shows up in a book? Fanfic authors
(myself included) deserve what they get if that happens. Frankly, if JKR
takes what I've written about Snape and plasters it, verbatim, into one of
her books I'd be overwhelmed. I'd be too busy being flattered to worry about
suing anyone. I'd brag about it and be able to prove it. That'd be enough
for me. :-)

Mark Harris

May 9, 2003, 10:41:56 PM5/9/03
On Sat, 10 May 2003 00:53:13 +0100, "Craig McMartin"
<cr...@cmcmartin.freeserve.co.uk> wrote:

>I dont use Google. Thank you for the suggestion though.

Really? Can I ask why? (Serious question)

cheers

mark
--
"Someone's been mean to you! Tell me who it is, so I can punch him tastefully."
- Ralph Bakshi's Mighty Mouse

Troels Forchhammer

May 10, 2003, 8:27:28 AM5/10/03
Craig McMartin wrote:

> "The REAL Naminanu" <nos...@atall.com> wrote:
>>
>> There was unusaully healthy deabte about this a while ago -
>> if you do a Google search it should come up.
>
> I dont use Google. Thank you for the suggestion though.

I am not sure if you thought Will meant Google to read and post,
but my impression was that Will only advised the use of Google's
searchable archives to check up past debates that have expired
on your server.

<http://groups.google.com/advanced_group_search?>

If this is what you insist on not using then I'd be curious
to know why - I have never encountered any problems using
Google's archives, actually I've been very pleased to use
them.

--
Troels Forchhammer
Valid mail is t.forch(a)mail.dk

"The Road goes ever on and on
Down from the door where it began.
Now far ahead the Road has gone,
And I must follow, if I can"
- Bilbo's walking-song, 'LotR' (J.R.R. Tolkien)

Grand Poobah

May 10, 2003, 10:58:26 AM5/10/03
Makes me wonder if JKR is aware of the slash stuff and what she makes of
that. I stumbled (and I do mean stumbled - it wasn't deliberate) on one
such story last year some time, and whilst I know it exists for other TV
shows/books/characters/whatever, I was a bit, well, shocked that people
would write it for HP. I'm not a prude, but...oh, I don't know, it just
seems wrong.

GP

PS. No offence to anyone who writes it - JMHO.

R. Tursi

May 10, 2003, 2:06:14 PM5/10/03
"Grand Poobah" <do...@rainbowsparkle.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in message news:<b9j3q7$ndq$1...@newsg2.svr.pol.co.uk>...

Yeah, its actually rather easy to accidentially stumble onto, as I
have found. Quite a lot of it exists for HP. While I am a follower of
the phrase, "To each their own", I still think it's all a bit
disturbing.

-Roe

R. Tursi

May 10, 2003, 2:09:20 PM5/10/03
"Shadow" <NOgryffindo...@attbi.com> wrote in message news:<b9hnt4$5jm$1...@bob.news.rcn.net>...

> "Geoff Watson" <geoff...@ihug.com.au> wrote in message
> >
> > "Craig McMartin" <cr...@cmcmartin.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in message
> >
> Oh what-EVER. Fan violates copyright, writes an un-copyrightable fan fic
> and sues the author when his story shows up in a book? Fanfic authors
> (myself included) deserve what they get if that happens. Frankly, if JKR
> takes what I've written about Snape and plasters it, verbatim, into one of
> her books I'd be overwhelmed. I'd be too busy being flattered to worry about
> suing anyone. I'd brag about it and be able to prove it. That'd be enough
> for me. :-)

Yeah, and that's actually the way 99% of fanfic writers feel.
Unfortunately, there will always be that 1% that will mess things up
for everyone else.

-Roe

Troels Forchhammer

May 10, 2003, 4:47:23 PM5/10/03
Grand Poobah wrote:

> Makes me wonder if JKR is aware of the slash stuff and what she
> makes of that.

There was a piece about her solicitors or someone else representing
her keeping an eye on the fan fiction at one point. Unfortunately
I couldn't find that one when I looked (and I can't find it now
either) - perhaps someone else remembers where it was?

Anyway, IIRC, they said that there definitely is a limit to what
is acceptable in Harry Potter fan fiction, and if that limit is
overstepped, they will pursue it legally.

Personally I hope that slash fan fiction is beyond that limit -
writing slash fan fiction based on children's books (especially
books about children) is sick - sorry, but that is my honest
opinion, it's sick! (And for once I don't really care if I do
offend someone.)

--
Troels Forchhammer
Valid mail is t.forch(a)mail.dk

This isn't right. This isn't even wrong.
Wolfgang Pauli, on a paper submitted by a physicist colleague
(Thus speaks the quantum physicist)

Grand Poobah

May 10, 2003, 7:25:59 PM5/10/03
> Personally I hope that slash fan fiction is beyond that limit -
> writing slash fan fiction based on children's books (especially
> books about children) is sick - sorry, but that is my honest
> opinion, it's sick! (And for once I don't really care if I do
> offend someone.)
>
> --
> Troels Forchhammer
> Valid mail is t.forch(a)mail.dk

Yep - gotta agree with both of you (Roe and Troels) - you both expressed it
better than I did.

GP

The REAL Naminanu

May 10, 2003, 7:23:07 PM5/10/03
OK, I found this in the thread about "whether JKR read this newsgroup". I
think it amounts to much of the same thing; JKR may not want to be wherever
ideas are mooted, be it this ng or fanficdom.
******************************
"mag3" <ma...@newsguy.com> wrote in message

> Seriously, I would think not. And if I were JKR's solicitor, I would
> strongly advise against it - she of all people having just beaten
> a copyright infringment claim. If by some chance a specific idea or
> thought eminating from a post in this group (especially FANFIC)
> actually wound up in one of the remaining books, then her "infringement"
> nightmare could start all over again, and it'd be a worse fight than
> before (after all, the "documentation" is in the "public record).
>
> I've participated in several newsgroups of "active" TV series, and in
> almost all of them, FANFIC was not permitted to be posted. Either that,
> or the regulars of the TV series would never participate in the group
> (eg. the "ER" or "West Wing" groups). The only exception I know of is
> the "M*A*S*H" group in which several of the principals involved in the
> show (Larry Gelbart, the late Larry Linville, Jeff Maxwell etc.)
> participate(d) actively (since the show has long been out of production).
>
> Besides, as stated by others, JKR probably doesn't have the time.
>
> Regards,
> Arnold.

What he just said, plus the happenings over on the pratchett news group.

Terry Pratchett WAS actively involved, but asked people not to discuss their
ideas on future plots.

He was there for a while, until someone asked "What if Vimes had a kid?" He
was promptly flamed by all the other regulars as they knew Terry would
leave. He did. Why? Because the current book (The Night Watch) features the
traumatic birth of Samuel Junior; it cropped up earlier in passing in the
Fifth Elephant.

Pratchett was qute rightly worried that if an idea mooted on a NG that he
was known to frequent turned up in his novels, he could be accused of
plagarism.

In the unlikely event of JKR being in this NG she must be a VERY
accomplished Lurker.

Either that or she is Richard Sliwa, who seems to know just about everything
ever to go on.... Or maybe Fish Eye No Miko? Or Shadow? (Where are you
Shads?) Troels? JAB? Tennant?

You never know.....

Will (Not me. Definitely not.)

----
**************************

Done by a google search; works OK for me.

Will

Tennant Stuart

May 11, 2003, 4:46:49 PM5/11/03
In article <b9k1kr$rib$1...@hercules.btinternet.com>,

"The REAL Naminanu" <nos...@atall.com> wrote:

> In the unlikely event of JKR being in this NG she must be a VERY
> accomplished Lurker.

> Either that or she is Richard Sliwa, who seems to know just about
> everything ever to go on.... Or maybe Fish Eye No Miko? Or Shadow?
> (Where are you Shads?) Troels? JAB? Tennant?

I'm not JKR; but then again if I were, I would deny it.

Tennant

--
____ ____ _ _ _ _ __ _ _ ____
(_ _)( ___)( \( )( \( ) /__\ ( \( )(_ _) Greetings to family

Troels Forchhammer

May 11, 2003, 6:58:20 PM5/11/03
Tennant Stuart wrote:

> "The REAL Naminanu" <nos...@atall.com> wrote:
>>
>> Either that or she is Richard Sliwa, who seems to know just about
>> everything ever to go on.... Or maybe Fish Eye No Miko? Or Shadow?
>> (Where are you Shads?) Troels? JAB? Tennant?
>
> I'm not JKR; but then again if I were, I would deny it.

If I were JKR I'd had the nerve to take over a real person's
identity:
<http://home.online.no/~forchham/Web/per00740.htm>

--
Troels Forchhammer
Valid mail is t.forch(a)mail.dk

A Thaum is the basic unit of magical strength. It has been
universally established as the amount of magic needed to
create one small white pigeon or three normal sized billiard
balls.
-- (Terry Pratchett, The Light Fantastic)

Splinter

May 12, 2003, 1:50:37 AM5/12/03
On Fri, 9 May 2003 22:24:36 -0400, "Shadow"
<NOgryffindo...@attbi.com> wrote:

>Oh what-EVER. Fan violates copyright, writes an un-copyrightable fan fic
>and sues the author when his story shows up in a book? Fanfic authors
>(myself included) deserve what they get if that happens. Frankly, if JKR
>takes what I've written about Snape and plasters it, verbatim, into one of
>her books I'd be overwhelmed. I'd be too busy being flattered to worry about
>suing anyone. I'd brag about it and be able to prove it. That'd be enough
>for me. :-)

Well, sadly, while I would do the same as you, not many people
would appreciate their work being lifted by any author without the
original writer's consent.
Authors are worried that their works could follow the work of
some obscure fan fiction writer and end up sued. Why do you think
that major TV shows simply refuse to deal with scripts written by the
general audience?
Personally, I'm with you in the "Gee, I'm flattered" category
and would even point it out to the other author and ask for a simple
thanks in future printings, but, wouldn't make a fuss over it if the
person refused.
Also, there are literally tens of thousands of fanfictions out
there that all are about Harry Potter. Some are not overly
flattering, though (like an adult Harry going gay with Snape, for
example), others take the Ron/Hermione angle and run with it past the
end of the official books. Others go with a Harry/Ginny angle and
have some fun, and, others have done "prequels" with James and Lily.
JKR and her publishers just don't have the time to read every single
fan fiction out there, and, I doubt that JKR is worried too much about
the fan fictions. She's more interested in the find a week ago of
stolen copies of "Phoenix" and she's rightfully ticked off.
But, I suspect that JKR is very grateful to the man who found
the books (assuming that the story he told the police and the Sun are
true) turned them in right away. I probably would have read the first
copy or at least glanced through it for an hour or so before turning
the books in...but, would enforce a personal non-disclosure pact and
not say jack-you know what until the book hits the shelves in a month
and a half :)

Dragon Friend

May 12, 2003, 7:54:24 AM5/12/03
"Tennant Stuart" <ten...@argonet.co.uk> wrote in message

> In article <b9k1kr$rib$1...@hercules.btinternet.com>,
> "The REAL Naminanu" <nos...@atall.com> wrote:
>
>> In the unlikely event of JKR being in this NG she must be a VERY
>> accomplished Lurker.
>
>> Either that or she is Richard Sliwa, who seems to know just about
>> everything ever to go on.... Or maybe Fish Eye No Miko? Or Shadow?
>> (Where are you Shads?) Troels? JAB? Tennant?
>
> I'm not JKR; but then again if I were, I would deny it.

I sincerely doubt JAB is either as JKR is much more intelligent and I would
imagine if she is reading the group she would be insulted to have her name
linked with JAB. Also if you actually read JAB's posts you will see he is
not the authority on *everything* that he claims to be it is just he has the
ability to argue and insult everyone till they get bored of answering him
and then killfile him :-)

Dragon Friend
--
"Humanity... so noble, always willing to sacrifice... the other
fellow." ~~ Max von Sydow in NEEDFUL THINGS. "...perhaps all the

Rebecca Webb

May 12, 2003, 11:47:22 AM5/12/03
In article <56b5a8b6.03051...@posting.google.com>,
roet...@hotmail.com (R. Tursi) wrote about slash fic:

> Yeah, its actually rather easy to accidentially stumble onto, as I
> have found. Quite a lot of it exists for HP.

I must confess, I'm still looking for a Snapefic besides mine that's
non-slash, non-porno, and non-pagan. I'm not surprised those things exist
(and in fact I've drawn inspiration from them and referenced some in my
acknowledgements), I just can't believe mine's the only one that's none of
those things.

Of course, I haven't finished "Water-horse" yet... (skipped ahead to the
parts about Voldie's wastefulness and the tragically unsheathed sword)...

RW

--
If you can't take the heat, get out of the cauldron.

http://cda.mrs.umn.edu/~webbrl/SmallestSlytherin

Tennant Stuart

May 12, 2003, 12:21:37 PM5/12/03
In article <b9o25h$a2p$1...@newsg3.svr.pol.co.uk>, "Dragon Friend"
<dragonNO...@hotmail.com> wrote:

> "Tennant Stuart" <ten...@argonet.co.uk> wrote in message

>> In article <b9k1kr$rib$1...@hercules.btinternet.com>,
>> "The REAL Naminanu" <nos...@atall.com> wrote:

>>> In the unlikely event of JKR being in this NG she must be a VERY
>>> accomplished Lurker.

>>> Either that or she is Richard Sliwa, who seems to know just about
>>> everything ever to go on.... Or maybe Fish Eye No Miko? Or Shadow?
>>> (Where are you Shads?) Troels? JAB? Tennant?

>> I'm not JKR; but then again if I were, I would deny it.

> I sincerely doubt JAB is either as JKR is much more intelligent and I
> would imagine if she is reading the group she would be insulted to have
> her name linked with JAB. Also if you actually read JAB's posts you will
> see he is not the authority on *everything* that he claims to be it is
> just he has the ability to argue and insult everyone till they get bored
> of answering him and then killfile him :-)

Yes, dear. :)

Tennant Stuart

May 12, 2003, 12:23:58 PM5/12/03
In article <webbrl-1205...@educ2-c-rw.mrs.umn.edu>,
web...@mrs.umn.edu (Rebecca Webb) wrote:

> In article <56b5a8b6.03051...@posting.google.com>,
> roet...@hotmail.com (R. Tursi) wrote about slash fic:

> I'm looking for a Snapefic besides mine that's non-slash, non-porno, and

> non-pagan. I'm not surprised those things exist (and in fact I've drawn
> inspiration from them and referenced some in my acknowledgements), I
> just can't believe mine's the only one that's none of those things.

I don't quite know what you mean by non-pagan, since canon is as absent
of religion as normal British life is, where few regularly attend church.

But with non-slash & non-porno, the best Snapefic I've read is "A Father's
Sin" by Severitus, at http://www.fanfiction.net/read.php?storyid=554557 in
which the professor discovers an unlikely student at Hogwarts is his son.

However, for others than yourself "Darkly Inclined" by S.Hart is an even
*better* Snapefic at http://www.schnoogle.com/authors/shart/DI01.html in
which Snape is heterosexual; but there is slash among other characters,
and at times it is *very* dark, especially in some Snape sections.

Rebecca Webb

May 13, 2003, 11:39:24 AM5/13/03

In article <na.f6a0ac4bf1...@argonet.co.uk>, Tennant Stuart

<ten...@argonet.co.uk> wrote:
> I don't quite know what you mean by non-pagan, since canon is as absent
> of religion as normal British life is,

Canon includes references to Easter, godparents and sin, so I'm not big on
fanfic which inserts references to Merlin as diety or tosses around "Oh,
gods" or "oh, goddesses" which is definitely not canon. Feels like people
pushing their own agenda. Yes, yes, yes, I'm aware that mine has a
political agenda, spank for double standard if you must.

That being said,

> However, for others than yourself "Darkly Inclined" by S.Hart is an even
> *better* Snapefic at http://www.schnoogle.com/authors/shart/DI01.html in
> which Snape is heterosexual; but there is slash among other characters,
> and at times it is *very* dark, especially in some Snape sections.

My point was that I can't believe there aren't more like mine, NOT that I
don't like the different style of others (see line about "drawn
inspiration"). My favorite so far is "Growing Pains of Severus Snape"
which couldn't be darker, filthier, or funnier.

http://www.certando.net/vali/diary.htm

(Adrian Mole book on order through inter-library loan.)

Tennant Stuart

May 13, 2003, 6:26:33 PM5/13/03
In article <webbrl-1305...@educ2-c-rw.mrs.umn.edu>,
web...@mrs.umn.edu (Rebecca Webb) wrote:

> In article <na.f6a0ac4bf1...@argonet.co.uk>, Tennant Stuart
> <ten...@argonet.co.uk> wrote:

>> I don't quite know what you mean by non-pagan, since canon is as absent
>> of religion as normal British life is,

> Canon includes references to Easter, godparents and sin, so I'm not big on
> fanfic which inserts references to Merlin as diety or tosses around "Oh,
> gods" or "oh, goddesses" which is definitely not canon. Feels like people
> pushing their own agenda. Yes, yes, yes, I'm aware that mine has a
> political agenda, spank for double standard if you must.

No, I'm just not sure where you're coming from...

> That being said,

>> However, for others than yourself "Darkly Inclined" by S.Hart is an even
>> *better* Snapefic at http://www.schnoogle.com/authors/shart/DI01.html in
>> which Snape is heterosexual; but there is slash among other characters,
>> and at times it is *very* dark, especially in some Snape sections.

> My point was that I can't believe there aren't more like mine, NOT that I
> don't like the different style of others (see line about "drawn
> inspiration"). My favorite so far is "Growing Pains of Severus Snape"
> which couldn't be darker, filthier, or funnier.

> http://www.certando.net/vali/diary.htm

..oh, well I guess I know now. :)

Igenlode Wordsmith

May 13, 2003, 9:07:12 PM5/13/03
On 12 May 2003 Rebecca Webb wrote:

> In article <56b5a8b6.03051...@posting.google.com>,
> roet...@hotmail.com (R. Tursi) wrote about slash fic:
>

> > Yeah, its actually rather easy to accidentially stumble onto, as I
> > have found. Quite a lot of it exists for HP.
>
> I must confess, I'm still looking for a Snapefic besides mine that's
> non-slash, non-porno, and non-pagan. I'm not surprised those things exist
> (and in fact I've drawn inspiration from them and referenced some in my
> acknowledgements), I just can't believe mine's the only one that's none of
> those things.
>
> Of course, I haven't finished "Water-horse" yet... (skipped ahead to the
> parts about Voldie's wastefulness and the tragically unsheathed sword)...

<blink> sword? I'll swear there weren't any swords in it when I wrote
it...

Well, I can assure you that the rest is neither slash nor pornography,
since I wrote it with the specific remit of coming up with a plot that
*didn't* rely on any of the characters developing any kind of sexual
attraction to any of the other characters (too much, far, far too much,
of sweet little Ginny yearning after Harry in fanfic recently... it's
original the first time you come across it...)

But *pagan*?! In what sense can Snape be pagan - and what inspiration
did you draw therefrom for 'Smallest Slytherin'? Do fanfics have him
going up to pour libations over the altar-stone at Stonehenge or
something?
--
Igenlode Wordsmith <Igen...@nym.alias.net>

Snape fiction now online - http://curry.250x.com/Tower/Fiction/waterhorse/

Rebecca Webb

May 15, 2003, 11:40:37 AM5/15/03

> > I must confess, I'm still looking for a Snapefic besides mine that's
> > non-slash, non-porno, and non-pagan. I'm not surprised those things exist
> > (and in fact I've drawn inspiration from them and referenced some in my
> > acknowledgements), I just can't believe mine's the only one that's none of
> > those things.

> what inspiration
> did you draw therefrom for 'Smallest Slytherin'?

An example would be BLANK SLATE. When Hermione's dad exclaims, he says
something like "Oh, God," whereas Hermione says "Oh, Merlin." This is
consistent throughout the story and I credit the author with intentionally
trying to indicate that Hermione's parents have a different religion than
Hermione. BLANK SLATE is credited in my acknowledgements section with
inspiring the Slytherins' marriage fantasy for Snape.

Mark Evans

May 15, 2003, 1:38:01 PM5/15/03
Rebecca Webb <web...@mrs.umn.edu> wrote:

>> In article <webbrl-1205...@educ2-c-rw.mrs.umn.edu>,
>> web...@mrs.umn.edu (Rebecca Webb) wrote:
>> > I'm looking for a Snapefic besides mine that's non-slash, non-porno, and
>> > non-pagan. I'm not surprised those things exist (and in fact I've drawn
>> > inspiration from them and referenced some in my acknowledgements), I
>> > just can't believe mine's the only one that's none of those things.

> In article <na.f6a0ac4bf1...@argonet.co.uk>, Tennant Stuart
> <ten...@argonet.co.uk> wrote:
>> I don't quite know what you mean by non-pagan, since canon is as absent
>> of religion as normal British life is,

> Canon includes references to Easter, godparents and sin, so I'm not big on
> fanfic which inserts references to Merlin as diety or tosses around "Oh,
> gods" or "oh, goddesses" which is definitely not canon. Feels like people

Remember that both Easter and Christmas are actually pagan celebrations the
Catholic church co-opted.

Rebecca Webb

May 15, 2003, 6:53:35 PM5/15/03
In article <p9j0ab...@anacon.freeserve.co.uk>, Mark Evans
<m...@anacon.freeserve.co.uk> wrote:

> Remember that both Easter and Christmas are actually pagan celebrations the
> Catholic church co-opted.

------
Lisa Simpson: Like Easter and Christmas, April Fool's Day owes its
origins to pagan ritual.
Homer: Those pagans. God bless 'em!
Lisa: The Christians changed their calendar and mocked anyone who didn't
go along.

(Flashback)
Pagans chant and circle a bonfire.

PAGANS: Blood for Ba'al! Blood for Ba'al!
CHRISTIANS: Hiddly-ho, Pagans!
PAGAN: Happy New Year!
CHRISTIAN: New Year's was 3 months ago, but here's a present anyway.
CHRISTIAN CHILD: It's lamb's blood, for your godless ceremony.

Pagans open cannister. Spring snakes fly out.

CHRISTIANS (laughing and pointing): April Fools!

Cut to Pagans once more chanting and cirling a fire where the Christians
are now burning at the stake.

PAGANS: Now who's laughing, now who's laughing?
-----

As you can see, I am aware, but I maintain that Christmas + Easter + "sin"
+ godfather = Christian unless someone else can point out another faith
that uses those 4 terms as well. Feel free also to point me to an earlier
thread if this has been discussed before. RW

Igenlode Wordsmith

May 17, 2003, 7:36:21 PM5/17/03
On 15 May 2003 Rebecca Webb wrote:

> > > I must confess, I'm still looking for a Snapefic besides mine
> > > that's non-slash, non-porno, and non-pagan. I'm not surprised
> > > those things exist (and in fact I've drawn inspiration from them
> > > and referenced some in my acknowledgements), I just can't believe
> > > mine's the only one that's none of those things.
>
> > what inspiration
> > did you draw therefrom for 'Smallest Slytherin'?
>
> An example would be BLANK SLATE. When Hermione's dad exclaims, he says
> something like "Oh, God," whereas Hermione says "Oh, Merlin." This is
> consistent throughout the story and I credit the author with intentionally
> trying to indicate that Hermione's parents have a different religion than
> Hermione.

Oh, thanks.

I must say I can't see any basis for this kind of thing in canon - do
New Age witches really believe Merlin to be a deity? If I *did* see it,
for the sake of my peace of mind I think I'd prefer to convince myself
that the children were just being euphemistic, in the way that pre-war
schoolboys used to say "Jove" instead of "God" in the belief that this
didn't count as swearing, rather than with any neo-pagan intent :-)

> BLANK SLATE is credited in my acknowledgements section with inspiring
> the Slytherins' marriage fantasy for Snape.

Here I have to confess that I read the acknowledgements but didn't,
alas, get round to following any of the links... (I'm still trying to
get hold of "Growing Pains of Severus Snape", which hasn't yet arrived.)

Tennant Stuart

May 18, 2003, 11:37:15 AM5/18/03
In article <2003051803230...@gacracker.org>, Igenlode Wordsmith
<fu...@redneck.gacracker.org> wrote:

> I must say I can't see any basis for this kind of thing in canon - do
> New Age witches really believe Merlin to be a deity?

Amos Diggory and 'Moody' both exclaim "Merlin's beard", that's all.

Sirius Kase

May 19, 2003, 10:10:51 PM5/19/03
In article <3EBED58C...@ThisIsFake.dk>, Troels Forchhammer
<Tro...@ThisIsFake.dk> wrote:

> Tennant Stuart wrote:
> >
> > "The REAL Naminanu" <nos...@atall.com> wrote:
> >>
> >> Either that or she is Richard Sliwa, who seems to know just about
> >> everything ever to go on.... Or maybe Fish Eye No Miko? Or Shadow?
> >> (Where are you Shads?) Troels? JAB? Tennant?
> >
> > I'm not JKR; but then again if I were, I would deny it.
>
> If I were JKR I'd had the nerve to take over a real person's
> identity:
> <http://home.online.no/~forchham/Web/per00740.htm>

I imagine Rowling as Troels has lots of time to maintain websites and
such. My vote is Catherine, she's the funniest writer.

sirius kase

--
"Just tell me what secret you want to make sure I don't know, and I'll tell you
if I already knew it."

Sirius Kase

May 19, 2003, 11:23:14 PM5/19/03
In article <na.839a414bf4...@argonet.co.uk>, Tennant Stuart
<ten...@argonet.co.uk> wrote:

> In article <2003051803230...@gacracker.org>, Igenlode Wordsmith
> <fu...@redneck.gacracker.org> wrote:
>
> > I must say I can't see any basis for this kind of thing in canon - do
> > New Age witches really believe Merlin to be a deity?
>
> Amos Diggory and 'Moody' both exclaim "Merlin's beard", that's all.
>

> Tennant

Rowling's witches aren't new age witches either, they are fairy tale
witches and have more in common with well Fairy tales. Harry isn't any
more or less religous at school than at home and so far, nothing we
have learned about Hogwarts would interfere with any of a number of
mainstream religions.

I don't think New Age witches consider Merlin a deity, and Merlin is
never referred to as a deity in Harry Potter, either, just famous
enough to rate a collectible frog card.

Fish Eye no Miko

May 19, 2003, 11:48:34 PM5/19/03
"Sirius Kase" <Siriu...@earthlink.net> wrote in message

> Troels Forchhammer <Tro...@ThisIsFake.dk> wrote:
> > Tennant Stuart wrote:

> > > I'm not JKR; but then again if I were, I would deny it.
> >
> > If I were JKR I'd had the nerve to take over a real person's
> > identity:
> > <http://home.online.no/~forchham/Web/per00740.htm>
>
> I imagine Rowling as Troels has lots of time to maintain websites
> and such. My vote is Catherine, she's the funniest writer.

Umm.. Nope. I have no Web Sites up. I'm not even sure how I got in this
thread...

Catherine Johnson.
--
fenm at cox dot net
"Come on, Mike, nothing short of a nuclear missile would be enough to hold

Michelle

May 20, 2003, 2:17:19 AM5/20/03
>I don't think New Age witches consider Merlin a deity, and Merlin is
>never referred to as a deity in Harry Potter, either, just famous
>enough to rate a collectible frog card.
>
>sirius kase

Pretty close to one, definitely a spiritual leader.

Fab

Matt

May 20, 2003, 7:12:16 AM5/20/03

I'd think of him as someone like a legendary King (of England or somewhere)
equivalent - he (or his descendants) give out awards, and is a well known
historical figure. Like, say, King Arthur.

--
Matt

Sirius Kase

May 20, 2003, 10:44:35 AM5/20/03
In article <20030520021719...@mb-m10.aol.com>, Michelle
<discov...@aol.communicore> wrote:

Okay, thanks for teaching me something, but you wouldn't know that from
reading Harry Potter, unless you took the "Merlin's beard" remark as
sufficient evidence.

hansaplatz

May 20, 2003, 3:35:19 PM5/20/03

"Michelle" <discov...@aol.communicore> wrote in message

more of a moral leader... as dumbledore is to students.
honoured, respected. not worshipped i'd say.
unless as a hero

hansaplatz

Matt

May 20, 2003, 4:25:51 PM5/20/03
Sirius Kase wrote:
> In article <20030520021719...@mb-m10.aol.com>, Michelle
> <discov...@aol.communicore> wrote:
>
>>> I don't think New Age witches consider Merlin a deity, and Merlin is
>>> never referred to as a deity in Harry Potter, either, just famous
>>> enough to rate a collectible frog card.
>>>
>>> sirius kase
>>
>> Pretty close to one, definitely a spiritual leader.
>>
>> Fab
>
> Okay, thanks for teaching me something, but you wouldn't know that
> from reading Harry Potter, unless you took the "Merlin's beard"
> remark as sufficient evidence.

Also, AD has an Order of Merlin (see the letter).

I haven't got an e-copy of the book so I don't know where else he's mentioned.

Tennant Stuart

May 20, 2003, 12:24:51 PM5/20/03
In article <190520032324250442%Siriu...@earthlink.net>,
Sirius Kase <Siriu...@earthlink.net> wrote:

> In article <na.839a414bf4...@argonet.co.uk>,
> Tennant Stuart <ten...@argonet.co.uk> wrote:

>> In article <2003051803230...@gacracker.org>,
>> Igenlode Wordsmith <fu...@redneck.gacracker.org> wrote:

>>> I must say I can't see any basis for this kind of thing in
>>> canon - do New Age witches really believe Merlin to be a deity?

>> Amos Diggory and 'Moody' both exclaim "Merlin's beard", that's all.

> Rowling's witches aren't new age witches either, they are fairy tale

> witches and have more in common with well Fairy tales. Harry isn't any
> more or less religous at school than at home and so far, nothing we
> have learned about Hogwarts would interfere with any of a number of
> mainstream religions.

Yep.

> I don't think New Age witches consider Merlin a deity, and Merlin is
> never referred to as a deity in Harry Potter, either, just famous
> enough to rate a collectible frog card.

Yep again.

Sirius Kase

May 20, 2003, 10:36:40 PM5/20/03
In article <3eca9fc0$1...@corp.newsgroups.com>, Matt
<ma...@hogwarts-library.net> wrote:

>Sirius Kase wrote:

>>> Pretty close to one, definitely a spiritual leader.
>>>
>>> Fab
>>
>> Okay, thanks for teaching me something, but you wouldn't know that
>> from reading Harry Potter, unless you took the "Merlin's beard"
>> remark as sufficient evidence.
>
>Also, AD has an Order of Merlin (see the letter).
>
>I haven't got an e-copy of the book so I don't know where else he's mentioned.

I think he's on a wizard card. So with the OoM and the Merlin's Beard
remark, that's all the references I know of. But I can't image British
wizards not holding him in high regard, as popular as he is among
muggles.