Off Topic - other suggested books?

Kenneth Stagg

Jul 27, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/27/00
I know, it's off topic, but where else should I turn? (Really! If you know
of a good source of this type of information please let me know.)

Does anyone there have suggestions for other books that an adult (at least
maybe 20 times and I enjoy Susan Cooper, but have never been able to get
beyond the first book of the the Narnia series. I enjoy John Crowley, Tanya
Huff, C.J. Cherryh, Terry Pratchett and Guy Gavriel Kay (though that last book
was a bit lame) but I'm really looking for something more geared to children.

Please reply privately as I don't want to clutter the group with a lot of
off-topic stuff.

Thanks,
-Ken
kst...@mindspring.com

used...@my-deja.com

Jul 27, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/27/00
In article <xn0g5.3453$%u.29...@pouncer.easynews.com>,
Ken:

I'm posting this one here, just in case anyone else is interested.

The late Roald Dahl wrote in a similar flavor, you might enjoy him. He
even used the word muggles way back in the 70s.

He has kiddy books, grownup books and everything in-between. You probably
saw Charlie and the Chocalate factory. He wrote that book.

Otherwise read Neverending Story (the original book! the english
translation, or Die UnEndlische Geschicte in German) by Michael Ende.

All this great books got made into movies...kinda like Harry Potter will
be made into one very soon too....

Hope this helps,
Dave
--
Starving 3rd years, post your quidditch brooms for sale at
http://www.potterauction.com.

PotterAuction: UnOfficial Online Auctions for the Harry Potter Fan. All
are welcome.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Beau Yarbrough

Jul 27, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/27/00
This isn't an inappopriate topic for afhp ...

I'd suggest Ursula K. LeGuin's first three "Wizard of Earthsea" books
(the fourth is just plain horrible), Madeline L'Engle's "A Wrinkle in
Time" series and (for teens) the "Myth Adventures" series.

dragonB

Jul 27, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/27/00
So, it's slightly off topic, but HP fans need something to do for 10
months.(2 months set aside to read the new book a couple dozen times, and
the other three a dozen times.)

The Myth adventure series are Great. By the way, they are by Robert Asprin.
They are similar, except not as serious, and funnier. Also, they are all
relatively short, and can be read very fast. Both benefits for busy adults
and children.
Also some people might find the Xanth series by Piers Anthony good, but some
of the later books aren't appropriate for younger kids.
My wife loves Madeline L'Engle's books. I only found the first book "A
Wrinkle in Time" really good.
I found Orson Scott Card's Ender's Game series, and Alvin Maker series
great, some people who like HP might like these, too.
Also, "The Secret Garden" by Burnett. This could be a good chance for
children to get into more Classical books.
And of course already mentioned, "The Chronicles of Narnia" by C. S. Lewis

my 2 cents,
Brian

p.s. Here are the Myth books.
Another Fine Myth
Myth Directions
Myth-Nomers and Im-Pervections
Myth-Ing Persons
Myth Conceptions
M.Y.T.H. Inc. Link
M.Y.T.H. Inc. in Action
Hit or Myth
Little Myth Marker
Sweet Myth-Tery of Life

"Beau Yarbrough" <comic...@my-deja.com> wrote in message

Cara Pollock

Jul 28, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/28/00
Off-topic? I guess so. I don't really know how useful this will be ^_^;;
but I do like some of those authors down there. I've still got to read the
Susan Cooper ones.
Now, books. ^_^ You could try the Maurice Gee ones, the Halfmen of O
series, The World Around the Corner, Under the Mountain. He's a New Zealand
author, and those are his fantasy children's books, unless he's written more
lately. I enjoyed them all.
I'll try not to repeat others in here. The Philip Pullman His Dark Material
Series is good, and I'd recommend Tamora Pierce (me having all her books)
Suan Fletcher's Dragon Chronicles are good, Diane Duane's books. Um, Gary
Crew, John Marden. I will try and stay on fantasy, but, not easy. Jackie
French. Hitler's Daughter and, um, Tajore Arkle! I loved those ones.
And there's an adult series I really like, Terry Goodkind's, first one being
Wizard's First Rule.
Ulp. I can't believe I wrote all that. And that isn't even half my
books...
Later
Cara

Kenneth Stagg <kst...@mindspring.com> wrote in message

Andy

Jul 28, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/28/00

I can recommend Susan Cooper's "Dark Is Rising" series whole heartedly.
I read them first when I was about 8, and again about 4 years ago (when I
was 26). The first book "The Green Witch" (I think) is possibly a bit young
for an adult to appreciate - but the rest, particulary "The Dark Is Rising"
(2nd book) are awesome.

Christina

Jul 28, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/28/00
Greetings,

I just got finished reading Redwall. The first book in the searies by
Brian Jacques. I think there are 14 books now. Im not sure what age group
they are for, but it is more mature than Harry Potter I think . But if you
didnot like Narnia ( my faviorate searies) you might not like thease theres
no humans in the book all talking animals. I cant speak good enough aboult
them. I suggest them right along with Harry Potter.

Christina

Anne

Jul 29, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/29/00

Off topic, but...
I've read Susan Cooper's Dark Is Rising-series (5 books, if I remember
correctly) many times and they are just great. For an adult, too.
Harry Potter books have kind of similar atmosphere, something I've been
craving to find after reading Dark Is Rising.
It's going to be a long year before a new HP book arrives, so you may
like to read these books, too.

Anne

Miss V.

Jul 29, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/29/00

Anne <an...@pp.htv.fi> schrieb in im Newsbeitrag:
39828B4D...@pp.htv.fi...

I can only agree. I loved this books when I was a kid. They're a lot deeper
than many other children's books (though I think Harry Potter is still
better).
But by all means they should be read in order! I read them 5, 2, 1, 3, 4 and
it was very confusing....
--
Velya

Steve DeGroof

Jul 30, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/30/00
kst...@mindspring.com (Kenneth Stagg) wrote:
> I enjoy John Crowley, Tanya Huff,

I thought that name sounded familiar. Tanya Huff used to work in a
bookshop called Bakka. I used to go there quite a bit. I didn't
realize she was that well-known. I think I might have a signed
copy of one of her novels around somewhere.

I just did a search and found all sorts of fan sites dedicated
to her. Glad to see she's doing so well.

After a bit more searching, I found out that Robert J Sawyer
used to work there too. I found a picture of him and I'm
pretty sure he rang up a couple of books for me.

This is getting *way* off-topic, so I'll get back to the
original question. Have you read any Piers Anthony? The
"Incarnations of Immortality" series is pretty good (well,
the first 3 or 4 books are) there's also the "Mode" series.

I think someone else mentioned the "Myth" series by Robert
Asprin. I quite liked that myself.

How about Anne McCaffrey? "The Rowan" and its sequels were
quite good. I'm not sure if "To Ride Pegasus" is supposed
to be part of the series or not. It seems to be the same
universe but a different time setting.

McCaffrey also wrote "The Ship Who Sang" and a series based
on it. Very good as well.

SD

Steve DeGroof (deg...@mindspring.com)
http://degroof.home.mindspring.com

Irene Adler

Jul 30, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/30/00
In article <xn0g5.3453$%u.29...@pouncer.easynews.com>,
kst...@mindspring.com (Kenneth Stagg) wrote:
> I know, it's off topic, but where else should I turn? (Really! If

Have you read Elfquest, by Wendy and Richard Pini? It was originally
written in comic book form, and are now published in a series of
"graphic novels" (book format), hard or softcover.

The story is amazing, the art is beautiful and unique.

98% of it is unquestionably fine for children. There is a
controversial scene that some parents have objected to regarding the
elves'"eat, drink and be..(shall we say)...*very* merry, for tomorrow we
may die" philosophy before going off to war. It is not portrayed in any
kind of prurient way, though. It comes across as simply realistic for
a tribal culture. Maybe think National Geographic? Nothing you wouldn't
see there. And that is just one brief scene. Most of it would be G, PG
or at most PG-13.

The war is, of course, violent, but portrayed in its truest sense of
something tragic, painful, full of horror, difficult to participate in,
but sometimes a necessity of last resort; it is not glorified. Again,
nothing excessive for gore value or anything like that. Most older
children should be fine with it, especially if they are handling
well the steadily darkening view of the HP books. I want to
emphasize, though, for those unfamiliar that, like HP, most
of it is *not* dark! I just mention that as a matter for you to use
your own judgement on, since I am recommending it for kids. Like HP,
the great majority of the story is full of humor, mystery, magic, good
vs. evil, unexpected turns, and wonderful interpersonal relationships.

Irene

Ray Proven

Jul 30, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/30/00
On Thu, 27 Jul 2000, my owl, Braveheart, brought the following message
from Kenneth Stagg :

>I know, it's off topic, but where else should I turn? (Really! If you know
>of a good source of this type of information please let me know.)
>
>Does anyone there have suggestions for other books that an adult (at least
>maybe 20 times and I enjoy Susan Cooper, but have never been able to get

>beyond the first book of the the Narnia series. I enjoy John Crowley, Tanya

>Huff, C.J. Cherryh, Terry Pratchett and Guy Gavriel Kay (though that last book
>was a bit lame) but I'm really looking for something more geared to children.

I would recommend David Eddings' "Belgariad" series ("Pawn of Prophecy",
"Queen of Sorcery", "Magician's Gambit", "Castle of Wizardry" and
"Enchanters End Game") and I'm sure Anheg would agree with me.
Although they're ostensibly adult books I reckon they would be suitable for
anyone aged 10 or over. They're about a boy brought up by his aunt after
being orphaned when his parents were killed by an evil sorcerer and
unaware of his own magical powers until...

>Please reply privately as I don't want to clutter the group with a lot of
>off-topic stuff.

I don't think discussion of books suitable for HP fans can be off topic, can
it?
--
Ray

Every path has its puddle.

Peter Doyle

Jul 30, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/30/00
try redwall, this is good too!!! and a bit similar.
Anne <an...@pp.htv.fi> wrote in message news:39828B4D...@pp.htv.fi...

> Andy wrote:
> >
> > I can recommend Susan Cooper's "Dark Is Rising" series whole heartedly.
> > I read them first when I was about 8, and again about 4 years ago (when
> > was 26). The first book "The Green Witch" (I think) is possibly a bit
young
> > for an adult to appreciate - but the rest, particulary "The Dark Is
Rising"
> > (2nd book) are awesome.
>
> Off topic, but...
> I've read Susan Cooper's Dark Is Rising-series (5 books, if I remember
> correctly) many times and they are just great. For an adult, too.
> Harry Potter books have kind of similar atmosphere, something I've been
> craving to find after reading Dark Is Rising.
> It's going to be a long year before a new HP book arrives, so you may
> like to read these books, too.
>
> Anne

unterhund

Jul 31, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/31/00
"Ray Proven" <rayp...@sms.genie.co.uk> wrote in message

> I would recommend David Eddings' "Belgariad" series ("Pawn of Prophecy",
> "Queen of Sorcery", "Magician's Gambit", "Castle of Wizardry" and
> "Enchanters End Game") and I'm sure Anheg would agree with me.
> Although they're ostensibly adult books I reckon they would be suitable
for
> anyone aged 10 or over. They're about a boy brought up by his aunt after
> being orphaned when his parents were killed by an evil sorcerer and
> unaware of his own magical powers until...

And a hearty second from me. Our 10-year-old son, who started the whole
family on Harry Potter, went through all five Belgariad books in a couple of
weeks after my wife suggested them to him. About what I did at her
suggestion, as I recall.

<shameless plug>If you hit my website, you'll find a conversion of all 13
books in that world to the Risus RPG system.</shameless plug>
--
Patrick Clark
unte...@mailcity.com

freefaller

Jul 31, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/31/00
MYST books are always fun!!!

MYST 1: The Book of Atrus
MYST 2: The Book of Ti'Ana
MYST 3: The Book of D'Ni

they're based on the computer games MYST and Riven

absolutely wonderful :)))) i was enchanted with them since '96 when my
step-dad bought me The Book of Atrus soon after he bought me MYST for
Christmas :)))))) actually got me reading again for 7th grade!!!'

--
~Don't hate me because I'm beautiful...hate me cuz I'm a B|TCH!!!~
::: http://spice-mp3s.faithweb.com :::

"Kenneth Stagg" <kst...@mindspring.com> wrote in message

> I know, it's off topic, but where else should I turn? (Really! If you
know
> of a good source of this type of information please let me know.)
>
> Does anyone there have suggestions for other books that an adult (at least
LoTR
> maybe 20 times and I enjoy Susan Cooper, but have never been able to get
> beyond the first book of the the Narnia series. I enjoy John Crowley,
Tanya
> Huff, C.J. Cherryh, Terry Pratchett and Guy Gavriel Kay (though that last
book
> was a bit lame) but I'm really looking for something more geared to
children.

> Please reply privately as I don't want to clutter the group with a lot of
> off-topic stuff.
>

> Thanks,
> -Ken
> kst...@mindspring.com

se...@my-deja.com

Jul 31, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/31/00
In article <8m4774$29g$1...@news.aros.net>,

They are very well-written, but as they get a little bit to much like
each other in the end. But they do tend to get a little bloody
sometimes. Don't read them while you eat...

Now, I really agree with the one who suggested Ursula K. leGuin - she's
a great author, but more for teens than for children, and her stories
are really spooky!

Tolkien wrote a children book called Roverrandom, and it's a sweet story
about a dog. It's a quick read and it is a little along the lines of HP.
And then of course there is the Hobbit...(I'm a big JRRT fan too, so
forgive me ;-)

Now, for the last months I've been reading Raymond E Feist (and HP) and
his books are really brilliant - thogh rather horrible at the same time.

I never liked Dahl myself, but a lot of people believe he is very close
to JKR.

As I'm partially german most of my children litterature was in German,
so I'll add a couple of titles for all those of you who read german ;-)

Heinrich Mann wrote a wonderfull book called "Die Jugend des Henri IV"
(That'd be "the youth of king Henri IV", but I doubt it was translated.)

There is a great childrens book called "Jim Knopf und Lucas der
Lokomotivführer" - forget the author at the moment. But it's a sweet
story.

OK! That's it for now...apart from suggesting "le petit prince"!

--Sesra

Ray Proven

Jul 31, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/31/00
On Mon, 31 Jul 2000, my owl, Braveheart, brought the following message
from :

>In article <8m4774$29g$1...@news.aros.net>,
> "unterhund" <unte...@mailcity.com> wrote:
>> "Ray Proven" <rayp...@sms.genie.co.uk> wrote in message
>> > I would recommend David Eddings' "Belgariad" series

[snip]

>> And a hearty second from me. Our 10-year-old son, who started the whole
>> family on Harry Potter, went through all five Belgariad books in a couple of
>> weeks after my wife suggested them to him. About what I did at her
>> suggestion, as I recall.
>>
>> <shameless plug>If you hit my website, you'll find a conversion of all 13
>> books in that world to the Risus RPG system.</shameless plug>
>
>They are very well-written, but as they get a little bit to much like
>each other in the end. But they do tend to get a little bloody
>sometimes. Don't read them while you eat...

The various series do get a bit repetitive after a while, but that's not a
problem for the first series that you read. I suppose that people do get
chopped up, poisoned, incinerated etc., but the descriptions are hardly
graphic.
<WARNING class="serious">
Whatever you do, don't buy his new book, The Redemption of Althalus.
</WARNING>

>Now, for the last months I've been reading Raymond E Feist (and HP) and
>his books are really brilliant - thogh rather horrible at the same time.

Now Feist really has got boring with Midkemia, Krondor etc.

--
Ray

Cleanliness is next to impossible.

Black Panther

Aug 1, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/1/00

"Kenneth Stagg" <kst...@mindspring.com> wrote in message
: I know, it's off topic, but where else should I turn? (Really! If
you know
: of a good source of this type of information please let me know.)

<snippit>

Well, as I don't think anyone has mentioned them and the only reason I
am recomending them, well for the most part, is the association with
one of my most favorite movies of all time, Willow!
There have been 2 books released which are the continuations of the
Willow story. Their not bad but there is one problem, which got to the
point of annoyance for me in the second book, Chris Claremont, who
wrote the books in conjunction with George Lucas, can't seem to
describe something without making a "like" reference. I know this
sounds like a small thing but believe me, when its done repeatedly it
can get on your nerves a bit. Now, if you put that aspect aside their
not too bad.
Also, since I haven't seen anyone mention them, there is Terry Brooks'
Heritage of Shannara series. There's only 4 books in that particular
series and their very good. If you want to read the first 3, Sword,
Elfstones, or Wishsong of Shannara I've only ever been able to get
through Elfstones which I really enjoyed. The other 2 are a bit harder
to get through. His most recent Shannara book, First King of, is a
"how it all began" book. Not too bad a read either.
Well, there's my 2 cents.

: Thanks,
: -Ken
: kst...@mindspring.com

--
Black Panther

Darkness is in the hearts of all and misconstrued as evil...
When in fact it is beauty in its purest form.

Black Panther

Aug 1, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/1/00

"Black Panther" <hyosak...@home.com> wrote in message
:
: "Kenneth Stagg" <kst...@mindspring.com> wrote in message

AHHHHHH!!!! I just found out the final book has come out already to
the Shadow War (the Willow continuation book series) series!!!
AHHHHH!!!! Got to go buy now!

Katherine F.

Aug 1, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/1/00
On Thu, 27 Jul 2000 19:49:49 GMT, kst...@mindspring.com (Kenneth
Stagg) typed into his/her/its computer the following:
>I know, it's off topic, but where else should I turn? (Really! If you know
>of a good source of this type of information please let me know.)
>
>Does anyone there have suggestions for other books that an adult (at least
>maybe 20 times and I enjoy Susan Cooper, but have never been able to get
>beyond the first book of the the Narnia series. I enjoy John Crowley, Tanya
>Huff, C.J. Cherryh, Terry Pratchett and Guy Gavriel Kay (though that last book
>was a bit lame) but I'm really looking for something more geared to children.

I can thoroughly recommend the Chrestomanci books by
Diana Wynne Jones, these being: Charmed Life, Witch Week, The
Magicians of Caprona, The Lives of Christopher Chant, and Mixed
Magics. It doesn't really matter what order you read them in, but
The Lives of Christopher Chant is the first in terms of the
internal chronology, and, like the HP books, deals with a young
boy's initiation into the world of magic.

DWJ also wrote some wonderful one-off books for children
and young adults, such as The Time of the Ghost, Archer's Goon,
and Black Maria. They may be hard to get hold of in the USA,
though some of them were recently reissued - I suspect on foot of
the Harry Potter craze. Her work for adults is good too - I've
just finished reading Deep Secret, which was unputdownable.

Katherine F. (email kathe...@softhome.net for a fast response)
--
Website (fanfiction): http://virtue.nu/puritybrown - note new URL
"We love you lots, in a safe non-threatening non-stalker way. ;)"

Melody

Aug 2, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/2/00

Katherine F. <purit...@ihateclowns.com> wrote in message

Snipped reading recommendations

Could I also , more for adult readers , recommend Tom Holt books. Extremely
funny stand alone books (ie not a series like HP or Discworld) .

Melody

Antje M. Bendrich

Aug 2, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/2/00
On Mon, 31 Jul 2000 17:32:56 GMT, se...@my-deja.com wrote:

>As I'm partially german most of my children litterature was in German,
>so I'll add a couple of titles for all those of you who read german ;-)

[..]

>There is a great childrens book called "Jim Knopf und Lucas der
>Lokomotivführer" - forget the author at the moment. But it's a sweet
>story.

The author of "Jim Knopf" is Michael Ende.
A quick search at Amazon.com showed that they do not carry any of the
"Jim Knopf" books. They do have the Neverending Story, though. Get it!
The movies that were shot in the 80s don't show half of the book.

Antje

--
Antje M. Bendrich <ne...@bendrich.de>
http://www.bendrich.de

Ray Proven

Aug 2, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/2/00
The following is an extract from the latest Del Rey Books Internet
Newsletter (DRIN). Naturally they are only plugging their own books and
outside the U.S. the ISBN numbers and prices will be different, but on the
whole I agree with most of the recommendations that I have read. Oh, and
some of the series are listed out of reading order.

IF YOU LIKE HARRY POTTER . . . .

So you and/or your kids have finished reading HARRY POTTER AND THE
GOBLET OF FIRE —-what do you read next? Here's a list of recommended
books for Harry Potter fans. All are appropriate for readers 10 & up.

Richard Adams <author of WATERSHIP DOWN>
PLAGUE DOGS (449-21182-7,$6.99)

Piers Anthony
SPELL FOR CHAMELEON (345-34753-6, $6.99)
<1st of many books in the Xanth series>
ON A PALE HORSE (345-33858-8, $6.99)

L.Frank Baum <all-time classics>
THE WIZARD OF OZ (345-33590-2, $5.99)
THE LAND OF OZ (345-33568-6, $5.99)
OZMA OF OZ (345-33589-9, $5.99)
DOROTHY AND THE WIZARD IN OZ (345-34168-6, $5.99)
THE ROAD TO OZ (345-33467-1, $5.99)
THE EMERALD CITY OF OZ (345-33464-7, $5.99)
THE PATCHWORK GIRL OF OZ (345-33290-3, $5.99)
TIK-TOK OF OZ (345-33435-3, $5.99)
THE SCARECROW OF OZ (345-33396-9, $5.99)
RINKITINK IN OZ (345-33317-9, $5.99)
THE LOST PRINCESS OF OZ (345-33367-5, $5.99)
THE TIN WOODSMAN OF OZ (345-33436-1,$5.99)
THE MAGIC OF OZ (345-33288-1, $5.99)
GLINDA OF OZ (345-33394-2,$5.99)

Ray Bradbury
FAHRENHEIT 451 (345-34296-8, $6.99)* <classic SF for middle-grade>
OCTOBER COUNTRY (345-32448-X, $5.99)
* <classic dark fantasy story collection for middle-grade>

Terry Brooks <the first 3 of 9 books in the Shannara fantasy series>
THE SWORD OF SHANNARA (345-31425-5, $6.99)
ELFSTONES OF SHANNARA (345-28554-9, $6.99)
THE WISHSONG OF SHANNARA (345-35636-5, $6.99)

David Eddings
<first 5 books in 12-books Belgariad fantasy series; great for teens>
CASTLE OF WIZARDRY (345-33570-8, $6.99)
MAGICIAN'S GAMBIT (345-33545-7, $6.99)
PAWN OF PROPHECY (345-33551-1, $6.99)
QUEEN OF SORCERY (345-33565-1, $6.99)
ENCHANTER'S ENDGAME (345-33871-5, $6.99)

Alan Dean Foster Pip and Flinx series
<adventure Science Fiction>
BLOODHYPE (345-33285-7, $5.99)
THE END OF THE MATTER (345-33465-5, $5.99)
FLINX IN FLUX (345-34363-8, $5.99)
FOR LOVE OF MOTHER-NOT (345-34689-0, $5.99)
MID-FLINX (345-40644-3, $5.99)
ORPHAN STAR (345-32449-8, $5.99)
TAR-AIYM KRANG (345-30280-X, $5.99)

Robert Heinlein
BETWEEN PLANETS (345-32099-9, $5.99)
CITIZEN OF THE GALAXY (345-34244-5, $5.99)
FARMER IN THE SKY (345-32438-2, $5.99)
HAVE SPACESUIT - WILL TRAVEL (345-32441-2, $5.99)
RED PLANET (345-34039-6, $5.99)
THE ROLLING STONES (345-34039-6, $5.99)
SPACE CADET (345-35311-0, $5.99)
THE STAR BEAST (345-35059-6, $5.99)
STARMAN JONES (345-32811-6, $5.99)
TUNNEL IN THE SKY (345-35373-0, $5.99)

Gabriel King <Cat-fantasy perfect for fans of Brian Jacques>
THE WILD ROAD (345-42303-8, $6.99)
THE GOLDEN CAT (345-42305-4, $6.99)

Anne McCaffrey <great SF for female teens>
BLACK HORSES FOR THE KING (345-42257-0, $6.99)*
DINOSAUR PLANET (345-31995-8, $5.99)
DINOSAUR PLANET SURVIVORS (345-27246-3, $5.99)
DRAGONFLIGHT (345-33546-5, $6.99)
DRAGONQUEST (345-33508-2, $6.99)
WHITE DRAGON (345-34167-8, $6.99)

Philip Pullman
THE GOLDEN COMPASS (345-41335-0, $6.99)
THE SUBTLE KNIFE (345-41336-9, $6.99)

R.A. Salvatore Demon War Saga
(Fantasy for fans of Tolkien/Brooks/D&D)
DEMON AWAKENS (345-42162-0, $6.99)
DEMON SPIRIT (345-39152-7, $6.99)
DEMON APOSTLE (345-39154-3, $6.99)

Pamela Service <for young readers who liked Pullman>
THE RELUCTANT GOD (449-70339-8, $5.50)
STINKER FROM SPACE (449-70330-4, $5.50)
WEIRDOS OF THE UNIVERSE, UNITE! (449-70429-7, $5.50)

J.R.R. Tolkien
THE HOBBIT (345-33968-1, $6.99)
FELLOWSHIP OF THE RING (345-33970-3, $6.99)
THE TWO TOWERS (345-33971-1, $6.99)
THE RETURN OF THE KING (345-33973-8, $6.99)
SMITH OF WOOTTON MAJOR & FARMER GILES OF HAM (345-33606-2,
$5.99)
<fables for kids>
--
Ray

A lost ounce of gold may be found, a lost moment of time never.

Niki Karras

Aug 3, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/3/00
Totally unrelated to HP, but there's a really funny good novel called "Thank
You for Smoking."

--
Niki
nka...@home.com
"Melody" <Mel...@Wibble.org> wrote in message

Looney

Aug 3, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/3/00
A series I would recommend for young readers that is not always easy to find is
the "Below the Root" trilogy by Zilpha Keatley Snyder. She's a Newberry winner
(not for these books, however). Truthfully I read these in my 20's and enjoyed
them. These are enchanting books set in a world where everyone lives hundreds
of feet up in giant trees and moves about by gliding with specially made
cloaks(it's a low gravity world.) Going all the way down to the ground is
forbidden except for a chosen few farmers and there are rumors that strange
beasts will capture and devour anyone who sets foot on the ground...

The entire concept is captivating and fresh.

JMO :-)

Anthony "Looney" Toohey
Theryn of Nowhere
Yehoota on chess.net/FICS/Yahoo
___________________________________

"When I write, I feel like an armless legless
man with a crayon in his mouth."
- Kurt Vonnegut

Shantanut

Aug 11, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/11/00

Another great author is Tamora Pierce. I love all her books, but her Circle
of Magic quartet and the Immortals quartet are my favorite.

Rhiannon

Aug 12, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/12/00
Hm. Let's see, I haven't heard anyone mention Lloyd ALexander yet. His Prydain
novels were my favorite fantasy series until I read Harry Potter. The first
book is called "The Book Of Three," although it's kind of slow and the second
book, "The Black Cauldron" is a much better read, so I'd recommend starting
with Black Cauldron. And ignore the Disney version, if you've had the
misfortune to see it: it was everything I hope the HP movie WON'T be.

Someone mentioned Anne McCaffrey's Tower novels (the series that starts with
"The Rowan"). Those are probably among the most-often-read books in my bedroom.

I can't over-emphasize how good Philip Pullman's His Dark Materials trilogy
(the last book will be out this October) is. Likewise, I recommend just about
anything by Madeleine L'Engle, whether science fiction or realistic fiction. I
don't think I've ever NOT liked one of her books.

And what I'm reading right now is Mercedes Lackey's Last Herald-Mage trilogy,
which is spectacular. But one warning-- if you are offended by homosexuality,
you might not want to read these.

Just my two-- well, it's too long to be cents-- my two dollars' worth.

Rhiannon

Melody

Aug 12, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/12/00

Other suggested books:

Anything by Anne McCaffrey , Patricia D Cornwall , CS Lewis , PG Wodehouse ,
Terry Pratchett , Tom Holt , John Wyndham (my all-time favourite author) etc
etc. The list *could* go on ...Whether you like the above list or not will
depend on your age , what genre you prefer etc etc. I tend to like Science
Fantasy comic or otherwise and also *some* detective novels. Im not adverse
to reading Catherine Cookson sometimes , or even Jilly Cooper (but I would
be hard pressed normally to admit to it ;o)

Melody

butlers4

Aug 12, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/12/00
I'm surprised no one mentioned the "Shannara" books by Terry Brooks. Lots of
magic, suspense,adventure and some romance. Start with "The First King of
Shannara". I'm reading it to my son Robin (we started before the IVth came
out). Another really good book that I read as a child is called "The Satanic
Mill". I can't remember the author.
ss ya
steveb

Click here for Free Video!!
http://www.gohip.com/free_video/

"Melody" <Mel...@Wibble.org> wrote in message

Black Panther

Aug 12, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/12/00
<raises her hand>
Back when this topic was still new. I had also recomended The
Chronicles of the Shadow Wars, the "Willow" continuation trilogy,
written by George Lucas and Chris Claremont. I have yet to get the
third book in this series, gonna get it for my birthday next Friday,
so I'm taking the time til then to re-read the first 2. I forgot how
much I enjoyed the books. Only thing that had really stood out from
reading them all those years ago,cuz book 2 "Shadow Moon" came out in
'97, was that Chris had this problem with overtly comparing almost
everything to something else to describe what the instance, texture,
etc. was to be visualized. i.e. "This was like this." kind of stuff.
Too many likes. But talking to my husband about it I found out there
are a few very well known authors who do this as well. Vance for one.
Book 1 "Shadow Dawn", re-reading this one at the mo', doesn't have
this problem so I THINK that maybe book 2 was rushed and as a result
ended up with all the 'like's. Once I have read them all together I'll
give my final opinion of the trilogy if anyone is interested.

--

"butlers4" <butl...@gateway.net> wrote in message
: I'm surprised no one mentioned the "Shannara" books by Terry Brooks.

: >
: >
:
:

PButler111

Aug 12, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/12/00
>Subject: Re: Off Topic - other suggested books?
>From: "butlers4" butl...@gateway.net
>Date: 8/12/2000 10:40 AM Central Daylight Time

>I'm surprised no one mentioned the "Shannara" books by Terry Brooks. Lots of
>magic, suspense,adventure and some romance. Start with "The First King of
>Shannara". I'm reading it to my son Robin (we started before the IVth came
>out). Another really good book that I read as a child is called "The Satanic
>Mill". I can't remember the author.
>ss ya
>steveb

Publisher's Weekly recently did their children's book market preview issue and
there was a series reviewed that's about a boy who discovers he's a wizard and
goes off to a special wizarding school. Sound familiar? I can't remember the
name of the series at the moment, but will post it when I find the magazine.

http://www.AngelsDance-AngelsDie.com

Daniel Coggins

Aug 13, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/13/00
His Dark Materials cannot be praised highly enough. When is no.3 out? Its
been 'this autumn' for the past three years.
The Sally Lockhart trilogy( by the same author, Phillip Pullman) is also
excellent, but a completely different genre.
The Hex trilogy by Rhiannon Lassiter(sci-fi) is also a favorite of mine.
Midnight's Choice by Kate Thompson is actually a sequel, but I read it first
and found it superior to the original, Switchers.
Danel
Rhiannon <zara...@aol.comedy> wrote in message

Lloyd G Davies

Aug 13, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/13/00

Daniel Coggins <a.co...@cableinet.co.uk> wrote:

> His Dark Materials cannot be praised highly enough. When is no.3 out? Its
> been 'this autumn' for the past three years.

I completely agree. The third one's coming out in October. I'll put a
little spoiler space in case you don't want to know the title and want
to be surprised.

The title: "The Amber Spyglass." You can read a few excerpts from it
(and the other two) at their website,
http://www.randomhouse.com/features/goldencompass/.

P.S. Maybe you know the answer to this, why is the trilogy called "His
Dark Materials?" This never mnade any sense to me. Maybe it will be
explained in the third book.

Daniel Coggins

Aug 14, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/14/00
I think in the first there were some biblical references which explained it.
Danel
Lloyd G Davies <LLOYD....@prodigy.net> wrote in message

Koala Bear

Aug 16, 2000, 2:16:49 AM8/16/00

PButler111 wrote:

> Publisher's Weekly recently did their children's book market preview issue and
> there was a series reviewed that's about a boy who discovers he's a wizard and
> goes off to a special wizarding school. Sound familiar? I can't remember the
> name of the series at the moment, but will post it when I find the magazine.
>
> http://www.AngelsDance-AngelsDie.com

I'm not sure if it's the same one, but there was also a series called "So you want
to be a wizard". It looked interesting, but unfortunately, I only ever saw book 3
and they didn't appear to be stand-alone books.
Cheers,
Koala

Linda

Aug 17, 2000, 12:12:48 AM8/17/00
I'm surprised no one mentioned the "Shannara" books by Terry Brooks. Lots of
magic, suspense,adventure and some romance. Start with "The First King of
Shannara". I'm reading it to my son Robin (we started before the IVth came
out). Another really good book that I read as a child is called "The Satanic
Mill". I can't remember the author.
ss ya

I probably need to bite the bullet and read this whole thread on Deja
(::shudders::), but I just can't let this one pass. No one mentioned Shannara
because they are so AWFUL. Brooks was a very unskilled craftsman when these
poorly done imitation Tolkien books got into print becasue everyone wanted
Tolkien in those days. His later books are so much better that there is hardly
any comparison.

That having been said,Ii will put in a vote for my favorite YA sci-fi novel of
all time: Sylvia Engdahl's Enchantress from the Stars. It's a wonderful book
for understanding different points of view. There are others in the series,
too, but this one remains my favorite. Engdahl has a website for which the URL
has currently slipped through a rip in the fabric of the universe, but any
search engine ought to find it for you.

happy reading!

Linda

seng...@teleport.com

Aug 19, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/19/00
In article <20000817001248...@ng-ft1.aol.com>,

hyg...@aol.comnojunk (Linda ) wrote:

> That having been said,Ii will put in a vote for my favorite YA sci-fi
novel of
> all time: Sylvia Engdahl's Enchantress from the Stars. It's a
wonderful book
> for understanding different points of view. There are others in the
series,
> too, but this one remains my favorite. Engdahl has a website for
which the URL
> has currently slipped through a rip in the fabric of the universe,
but
any
> search engine ought to find it for you.
>
> happy reading!
>
> Linda

My new URL is easier to remember: www.sylviaengdahl.com.
(The old one also works, however.)

After being out of print for many years, _Enchantress from the Stars_
will have a new hardcover edition in Spring 2001, with cover art by
Leo and Diane Dillon.

Sylvia

Sylvia Engdahl s...@sylviaengdahl.com / seng...@teleport.com
Eugene, Oregon Visit my Web site, http://www.sylviaengdahl.com
My CHILDREN OF THE STAR omnibus from Meisha Merlin now available!
New edition of ENCHANTRESS FROM THE STARS coming from Walker & Co.

Linda

Aug 19, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/19/00
>> That having been said,Ii will put in a vote for my favorite YA sci-fi
>novel of
>> all time: Sylvia Engdahl's Enchantress from the Stars. It's a
>wonderful book
>> for understanding different points of view. There are others in the
>series,
>> too, but this one remains my favorite. Engdahl has a website for
>which the URL
>> has currently slipped through a rip in the fabric of the universe,
>but
>any
>> search engine ought to find it for you.
>>
>> happy reading!
>>
>> Linda
>

>My new URL is easier to remember: www.sylviaengdahl.com.
>(The old one also works, however.)
>
>After being out of print for many years, _Enchantress from the Stars_
>will have a new hardcover edition in Spring 2001, with cover art by
>Leo and Diane Dillon.
>
>Sylvia

Ummm. . .I forgot to tell you all that Sylvial Engdahl has definitely embraced
the new technology! She uses Deja to search for mentions of her books and
responds in posts and email. So there you have the URL, and you can email her
directly from that site if you care to.

Linda
An idler killing time by study