Professor Severus Snape

Joris Treurniet

Mar 22, 2001, 6:37:22 AM3/22/01
Hmmmm I might be the only one on this newsgroup but I'll ask anyway :-) Is
there anyone else, insane enough to have developed a crush on Prof. Snape
like me?? (which is baaaaad...I'm a gryffindor!!)

I've always liked the bad guys in a story, especially if the bad guy has
something good in him. unfortunately the potions master seems to fit that
description ...:-)

Is there a place where I can find severus fanfiction, except ff.net?

Thanks,

Emmy

Morrighan

Mar 22, 2001, 4:58:29 PM3/22/01
In article <99coej$3ouqv$1...@reader02.wxs.nl>, Joris Treurniet
<jor...@planet.nl> writes

>Hmmmm I might be the only one on this newsgroup but I'll ask anyway :-) Is
>there anyone else, insane enough to have developed a crush on Prof. Snape
>like me?? (which is baaaaad...I'm a gryffindor!!)

Alas yes ... but I don't usually admit it in public. In fact there's
quite a few of us about.

>I've always liked the bad guys in a story, especially if the bad guy has
>something good in him. unfortunately the potions master seems to fit that
>description ...:-)

<g> Most unfortunate. I'm not normally a bad-guy person, but for some
reason...

>Is there a place where I can find severus fanfiction, except ff.net?
>
>Thanks,
>
>Emmy

I've never come across any Snape fanfic sites, unfortunately, so I tend
to rely solely on ffnet for both reading and posting. (Shameless plug:
I'm a snapefic writer myself.)

If you find any sites, could you tell me?

Morrighan
--
Morrighan

DASBABY932

Mar 22, 2001, 9:38:12 PM3/22/01

>>Hmmmm I might be the only one on this newsgroup but I'll ask anyway :-) Is
there anyone else, insane enough to have developed a crush on Prof. Snape
like me?? (which is baaaaad...I'm a gryffindor!!)<<

I do have a crush on him because he is the perfect Brontean, Byronic anti hero
type, dark, brooding, quick to anger, possibly misunderstood, lonely, bitter,
taking it out, but worth saving. Passion, intensity and intelligence is always
sexy, even with a little anger in there. The usual drill. Think Edward
Rochester in Jane Eyre.

Of course, I'm not sure JK Rowling intended any of this, even for those who go
for the type. In order to sustain one's feelings for Snape, one has to ignore
the climax of Book 3, where Snape has spittle flying out of his mouth and is
fairly screaming - not something I can see Heathcliff doing. Also, he has been
described as having fairly disgusting teeth (gray or yellow or something),
which also puts a damper on the whole thing. Next thing we know, JK Rowling
will tell us he has long, grody disgusting fingernails. She doesn't get it. I
believe she even said in one Q&A - who would want to fall in love with him? I
thought the woman knew her classic literature!

Not to worry, Alan Rickman being the film Snape, one's desired physical
impression of Snape could not be better personified. I'm sure his teeth are
just fine.

Fata Morgana

Mar 22, 2001, 8:37:00 PM3/22/01

Joris Treurniet <jor...@planet.nl> wrote in message

> Hmmmm I might be the only one on this newsgroup but I'll ask anyway :-)
Is
> there anyone else, insane enough to have developed a crush on Prof. Snape
> like me?? (which is baaaaad...I'm a gryffindor!!)

Yes! Yes! Snape is my hero. :-)

Fata Morgana
--
The Oracle Of Panda, II: http://panda.9ug.com

"Babies, chum: tiny, dimpled, fleshy mirrors of our us-ness, that we parents
hurl into the future, like leathery footballs of hope! And you've got to get
a good spiral on that baby, or evil will make an interception!" - The
Tick

Claire Petersky

Mar 22, 2001, 9:50:54 PM3/22/01

> Is there a place where I can find severus fanfiction, except ff.net?

Why is it, when I think of fanfic related to Snape, I envision a NC-17 rated
story of BDSM between him and Malfoy?

--
Claire Petersky
cpet...@yahoo.com

Nicole Bourgoin

Mar 22, 2001, 11:10:11 PM3/22/01
There's a few character shrines that have some fic posted: try
http://jareth.com/snape.html

Obsession, http://www.envy.nu/snapesgirl/ is a pretty good character
shrine, but doesn't have any fic. Good links page, might have pointers
to more stuff.

I have some links to some incomplete Snapefic around...since it's
incomplete stuff, mail me for info...

Nicole
(no set house, no crush on Snape)

Kent

Mar 23, 2001, 1:17:37 AM3/23/01
Claire Petersky wrote:

> > Is there a place where I can find severus fanfiction, except ff.net?
>
> Why is it, when I think of fanfic related to Snape, I envision a NC-17 rated
> story of BDSM between him and Malfoy?

Because you're a sick, sick puppy ;)

mousegrrl

Mar 23, 2001, 1:46:55 AM3/23/01
Kent rinc...@worldnet.att.net wrote in
<3ABAEAF1...@worldnet.att.net>:

actually, there are far sicker puppies out there -- just do a search on
Yahoo! Groups for "Harry Potter", and you'll find more than a few lists
dedicated to various "slash" fanfic pairings. (the one i find
particularly repugnant is a Harry/Malfoy group. it already has over 100
members. twitchtwitch.)

to the original question, there's also a Yahoo! Group called
"snapesupport" that seems to be more or less the Severus Snape Estrogen
Brigade. =)

stacy o..o~
who thinks Alan Rickman as Snape is perfect -- the images from the movie
make him look like the genetic lovechild of Trent Reznor and Evil from
"Time Bandits"...

Joris Treurniet

Mar 23, 2001, 7:35:43 AM3/23/01
>Of course, I'm not sure JK Rowling intended any of this, even for those who
go
>for the type. In order to sustain one's feelings for Snape, one has to
ignore
>the climax of Book 3, where Snape has spittle flying out of his mouth and
is
>fairly screaming - not something I can see Heathcliff doing. Also, he has
been
>described as having fairly disgusting teeth (gray or yellow or something),
>which also puts a damper on the whole thing. Next thing we know, JK
Rowling
>will tell us he has long, grody disgusting fingernails. She doesn't get
it. I
>believe she even said in one Q&A - who would want to fall in love with him?
>thought the woman knew her classic literature!

Indeed those are the parts that don't exist as far as I'm concerned :-)

>Not to worry, Alan Rickman being the film Snape, one's desired physical
>impression of Snape could not be better personified. I'm sure his teeth
are
>just fine.

I'm so glad there are so many others that see him as the dark brooding
romantic hero,

Are there any fanfics people recommend? For some funny reason I'm not into
the whole male/male slash thing about severus. (I like seeing him with a
student of his though, like ginny or hermione, the forbidden facet of it,
gives something "extra" TMHO anyway :-).

My favorites so far are : 1: seventh year crush, 2: Rose Potter 3:Beneath
the Hate I LOVE those stories, anyone who is into Severus and hasn't read
them should do so, as soon as possible :-)) (Get someone to pick you up from
the floor though as soon as you've finished reading them. :-)) ) They can be
found on FF.net.

Love

Emmy (though I post through my b-friends account, my name is NOT Joris :-)

Brian Siano

Mar 23, 2001, 11:47:52 AM3/23/01

mousegrrl wrote:

> to the original question, there's also a Yahoo! Group called
> "snapesupport" that seems to be more or less the Severus Snape Estrogen
> Brigade. =)
>
> stacy o..o~
> who thinks Alan Rickman as Snape is perfect -- the images from the movie
> make him look like the genetic lovechild of Trent Reznor and Evil from
> "Time Bandits"...

Thing is, Alan Rickman makes a great leading man-- if you've ever seen _Sense
and Sensibility_ or _Truly, Madly, Deeply_, you'll never want to see him
waste his considerable talent playing villains again.

--
Brian Siano
email: bsi...@bellatlantic.net

Joris Treurniet

Mar 23, 2001, 12:32:33 PM3/23/01
>Thing is, Alan Rickman makes a great leading man-- if you've ever seen
_Sense
>and Sensibility_ or _Truly, Madly, Deeply_, you'll never want to see him
>waste his considerable talent playing villains again.
>
>--

LOL! unless you have too many hormones raging through your body :-)) and
that at 24.....I should be ashamed of myself! :-)

Emmy

Morticia

Mar 23, 2001, 2:21:58 PM3/23/01

"Joris Treurniet" <jor...@planet.nl> schrieb im Newsbeitrag

Rickman is a dreeeaaam in Sense and Sensibility! *drool*

*g* And I'm 23!

Joris Treurniet

Mar 23, 2001, 4:17:05 PM3/23/01

>Rickman is a dreeeaaam in Sense and Sensibility! *drool*
>
>*g* And I'm 23!
>
>I haven't even seen it.....(NOW I am ashamed :-) ) I fell for Rickman after
I saw the Texas-videoclip for "In Demand".....three months later now and
still drooling.....

Hmm I guess I found the next thing to hit my video recorder :-)

LOL!! I know *someone* who is not going to be in a good mood :-) (my
boyfriend is more the Bruce Willis movie-type-of-guy :-)) )

Thanks!!!!!

Em

the_peanut_gallery

Mar 24, 2001, 6:13:08 AM3/24/01
On 23-Mar-01, Joris Treurniet wrote:

> LOL!! I know *someone* who is not going to be in a good mood :-) (my
> boyfriend is more the Bruce Willis movie-type-of-guy :-)) )

Then it's time you watched *Die Hard*
:-)

Rose Humphrey
--
When humanity has finally succeeded in wiping itself out,
along with the majority of mammals and reptiles, isn't it

the_peanut_gallery

Mar 24, 2001, 6:13:46 AM3/24/01
On 23-Mar-01, Brian Siano wrote:

> Thing is, Alan Rickman makes a great leading man-- if you've ever seen
> _Sense and Sensibility_ or _Truly, Madly, Deeply_, you'll never want
> to see him waste his considerable talent playing villains again.

What? How unkind of you, when he so obviously enjoys playing that type
of role. Anyway, would you really want to insinuate that antipathetic
characters such as Obadiah Slope or Eamon de Valera were a waste of
talent?

Anyway, at 54 (or is it 55 now?), Mr Rickman is the first to point out
he's too old to play Hamlet,just as Maggie Smith would cheerfully admit
she's a bit too mature to play Ophelia. Claudius and Gertrude, /now/
you're talking.

That pointless, badly-directed videoclip for a tuneless song[1] limply
rendered by some overrated female, now *that* was a waste of talent.

Rose Humphrey
--
[1] Three minutes of an irritating throbbing sound rather less pleasant
than listening intently to a washing machine during the Wool cycle.

Joris Treurniet

Mar 24, 2001, 7:12:30 AM3/24/01

>That pointless, badly-directed videoclip for a tuneless song[1] limply
>rendered by some overrated female, now *that* was a waste of talent.
>
>Rose Humphrey
>--
>[1] Three minutes of an irritating throbbing sound rather less pleasant
>than listening intently to a washing machine during the Wool cycle.

*laughs* very true, but still, it was more fun to watch than most video
clips

Em

Belsammael

Mar 24, 2001, 4:01:13 PM3/24/01

"Fata Morgana" <texas_m...@hotmail.comNOSPAM> schreef in bericht

> Joris Treurniet <jor...@planet.nl> wrote in message
> > Hmmmm I might be the only one on this newsgroup but I'll ask anyway :-)
> Is
> > there anyone else, insane enough to have developed a crush on Prof.
Snape
> > like me?? (which is baaaaad...I'm a gryffindor!!)

I worship Snape like the god that he is. In fact, there are only two
people I worship more than him:

a) Lord Voldemort [1]
b) me [1]

Belsammael
house: Slytherin
wand: oak/dragonfire mix
pet: a cute little snail - and no funny stuff on that, people who know me ;p

[1] Some believe that I am one and the same. Am I? Pray you'll never live to
find out (insert megalomaniacal laughter here)

Brian Siano

Mar 24, 2001, 6:58:41 PM3/24/01

the_peanut_gallery wrote:

> On 23-Mar-01, Brian Siano wrote:
>
> > Thing is, Alan Rickman makes a great leading man-- if you've ever seen
> > _Sense and Sensibility_ or _Truly, Madly, Deeply_, you'll never want
> > to see him waste his considerable talent playing villains again.
>
> What? How unkind of you, when he so obviously enjoys playing that type
> of role. Anyway, would you really want to insinuate that antipathetic
> characters such as Obadiah Slope or Eamon de Valera were a waste of
> talent?

I'd forgotten about his playing de valera in _Michael Collins_, bu I
certainly don't regard that as a villainous role. The movie tried to play up
de Valera as some kind of suck-up to the English and a traitor to Collins,
but there's little evidence that de Valera had anything to do with Collins'
death. (And Rickman was terrific in that role, too.)

> Anyway, at 54 (or is it 55 now?), Mr Rickman is the first to point out
> he's too old to play Hamlet,just as Maggie Smith would cheerfully admit
> she's a bit too mature to play Ophelia. Claudius and Gertrude, /now/
> you're talking.

Who's to say that a man in his fifties can't be a decent leading man?

the_peanut_gallery

Mar 25, 2001, 12:32:14 PM3/25/01
On 25-Mar-01, Brian Siano wrote:

> the_peanut_gallery wrote:

> I'd forgotten about his playing de valera in _Michael Collins_, bu
> I certainly don't regard that as a villainous role. The movie tried to
> play up de Valera as some kind of suck-up to the English and a traitor
> to Collins, but there's little evidence that de Valera had anything to
> do with Collins' death. (And Rickman was terrific in that role, too.)

I thought De Valera came across as a brave and ambitious man who made
some very bad mistakes, but where on earth did you get the impression
he's portrayed as sucking up to the English?

>> Anyway, at 54 (or is it 55 now?), Mr Rickman is the first to point
>> out he's too old to play Hamlet,just as Maggie Smith would cheerfully
>> admit she's a bit too mature to play Ophelia. Claudius and Gertrude,
>> /now/ you're talking.

> Who's to say that a man in his fifties can't be a decent leading
> man?

Didn't say that. However, leading man roles are often designed for the
Young, Fit and Handsome, unless you're Harrison Ford or Kevin Costner
(evil <g>), not for those who are merely not bad-looking, in good nick
for their age, and talented. Also heroes tend to be a bit booooring
(look at Colonel Brandon!). Bad guys and anti-heroes are much more fun,
but anti-heroes are YFH roles[1]. So the older you get, the fewer
leading role possibilities are open to you, unless you want to keep
playing the character over and over again: I name no names but watch
where me eyes rest ;-)

I like Mr Rickman's approach to playing baddies, which is *not* to play
them as villains, but as people. I'm sure he'll make a good Snape
without lapsing into excessive histrionics.

Rose
--
[1] My train of thought just went: anti-hero -> Batman -> Michael
Keaton. I had a sudden vision of Michael Keaton as Peaves. Oh dear

Lisa Hicks

Mar 25, 2001, 10:34:57 PM3/25/01

Joris Treurniet wrote:

> Hmmmm I might be the only one on this newsgroup but I'll ask anyway :-) Is
> there anyone else, insane enough to have developed a crush on Prof. Snape
> like me?? (which is baaaaad...I'm a gryffindor!!)

> (snip)

Lots of folks seem to have a bit of a thing for Snape; I, however,
cannot help disliking him--not because of his greasy hair or is yellow
teeth, but because he was nasty to Lupin, the literary object of my
affection. ;-)

Lisa

Helena Bowles

Mar 26, 2001, 7:29:40 AM3/26/01

"Lisa Hicks" <lhh...@midway.uchicago.edu> wrote in message

Hear,hear.
HELENA (another member of the Remus Lupin fan club)

> Lisa

Jehanneton

Mar 26, 2001, 9:29:40 PM3/26/01
Belsammael <f.vd...@chello.nl> wrote in message

> I worship Snape like the god that he is. In fact, there are only two
> people I worship more than him:
>
> a) Lord Voldemort [1]
> b) me [1]
>
> Belsammael
> house: Slytherin
> wand: oak/dragonfire mix
> pet: a cute little snail - and no funny stuff on that, people who know me
;p

> [1] Some believe that I am one and the same. Am I? Pray you'll never live
> find out (insert megalomaniacal laughter here)

Nah, you're just a snail with delusions of grandeur.

Jehanneton :-)

Jehanneton

Mar 26, 2001, 9:33:49 PM3/26/01
the_peanut_gallery <the_peanu...@spamcop.net> wrote in message

> Didn't say that. However, leading man roles are often designed for the
> Young, Fit and Handsome, unless you're Harrison Ford or Kevin Costner
> (evil <g>), not for those who are merely not bad-looking, in good nick
> for their age, and talented. Also heroes tend to be a bit booooring
> (look at Colonel Brandon!). Bad guys and anti-heroes are much more fun,
> but anti-heroes are YFH roles[1]. So the older you get, the fewer
> leading role possibilities are open to you, unless you want to keep
> playing the character over and over again: I name no names but watch
> where me eyes rest ;-)

Character roles (and yes, I include well constructed bad guy roles in there)
are lots more fun and challenging for a good actor anyway.

> I like Mr Rickman's approach to playing baddies, which is *not* to play
> them as villains, but as people. I'm sure he'll make a good Snape
> without lapsing into excessive histrionics.

I agree! It's far too easy to fall into the trap of playing two dimensional
bad guys. A talented actor can look into a character's soul and portray them
as truly multidimensional. Rickman will be fantastic.

Jehanneton :-)

Jehanneton

Mar 26, 2001, 9:38:25 PM3/26/01
Lisa Hicks <lhh...@midway.uchicago.edu> wrote in message

I dislike Snape not just because he's nasty to Lupin (although Lupin is a
bit of a sweetie) but because he's nasty without real provocation. To me he
exudes a real sense of disdain (witness his treatment of Hermione in GoF)
and I just loathe people like that. It's not often a literary character can
invoke such a strong negative feeling in me, but Rowling has managed it with
Snape. He's not *evil* he's completely unlikeable, which is a far more
difficult type of character to create.

Jehanneton :-)

Belsammael

Mar 27, 2001, 12:47:07 AM3/27/01

"Jehanneton" <jehan...@ozemail.com.au> schreef in bericht

> Belsammael <f.vd...@chello.nl> wrote in message
> >
> > I worship Snape like the god that he is. In fact, there are only two
> > people I worship more than him:
> >
> > a) Lord Voldemort [1]
> > b) me [1]
> >

> > [1] Some believe that I am one and the same. Am I? Pray you'll never
live
> > find out (insert megalomaniacal laughter here)
>
> Nah, you're just a snail with delusions of grandeur.

Be careful, girlie, for after years of research I have finally perfected the
spell to turn one into a Furby. You were warned. ;-)

BelSammael
house: Slytherin
wand: hm, licorice...
animal: A coot little snail that is not me.

Richard Eney

Mar 27, 2001, 4:19:08 AM3/27/01
In article <x2Tv6.6$fL1....@news0.optus.net.au>,
Jehanneton <jehan...@ozemail.com.au> wrote:
>Lisa Hicks <lhh...@midway.uchicago.edu> wrote
>> Joris Treurniet wrote:
>> >
>> > Hmmmm I might be the only one on this newsgroup but I'll ask anyway :-)
>> >Is there anyone else, insane enough to have developed a crush on
>> >Prof. Snape like me?? (which is baaaaad...I'm a gryffindor!!)

>> Lots of folks seem to have a bit of a thing for Snape; I, however,

>> cannot help disliking him--not because of his greasy hair or is yellow
>> teeth, but because he was nasty to Lupin, the literary object of my
>> affection. ;-)

>I dislike Snape not just because he's nasty to Lupin (although Lupin is a
>bit of a sweetie) but because he's nasty without real provocation. To me he
>exudes a real sense of disdain (witness his treatment of Hermione in GoF)
>and I just loathe people like that. It's not often a literary character can
>invoke such a strong negative feeling in me, but Rowling has managed it with
>Snape. He's not *evil* he's completely unlikeable, which is a far more
>difficult type of character to create.

Snape is fascinating to watch. His outbursts of temper after brooding,
along with his lank, greasy dark hair and yellow-tinted skin and teeth,
are part of the standard description of a pure Scorpio type.

=Tamar

Old One

Mar 27, 2001, 9:07:45 PM3/27/01
Belsammael <f.vd...@chello.nl> wrote:

> Be careful, girlie, for after years of research I have finally perfected the
> spell to turn one into a Furby. You were warned. ;-)

You, my friend, are just plain weird. ;-)
--
Persons attempting to find a motive in this narrative will be prosecut-
ed; persons attempting to find a moral in it will be banished; persons

Jehanneton

Mar 28, 2001, 12:22:59 AM3/28/01
Old One <7_little_...@alienmail.com> wrote in message

> Belsammael <f.vd...@chello.nl> wrote:
>
> > Be careful, girlie, for after years of research I have finally perfected
the
> > spell to turn one into a Furby. You were warned. ;-)
>
> You, my friend, are just plain weird. ;-)

<grin> Intuitive observation! ;-)

Jehanneton :-)

Old One

Mar 29, 2001, 8:59:25 AM3/29/01
Jehanneton <jehan...@ozemail.com.au> wrote:

Thank you! ;)

Belsammael

Mar 29, 2001, 9:30:14 AM3/29/01

"Old One" <7_little_...@alienmail.com> schreef in bericht

> Jehanneton <jehan...@ozemail.com.au> wrote:
>
> > Old One <7_little_...@alienmail.com> wrote in message

> > the
> > >
> > > You, my friend, are just plain weird. ;-)
> >
> > <grin> Intuitive observation! ;-)
>
> Thank you! ;)

I'm actually surprised it took so long for someone to notice. Or were
you all so afraid to speak up about it because I might change you into
frogs... or slugs.... *grins viciously*

BelSammael.

house: Slytherin
wand: hm, licorice...

animal: a coot little snail

Old One

Mar 29, 2001, 6:53:20 PM3/29/01
Belsammael <f.vd...@chello.nl> wrote:

Or even a newt.

Lisa Hicks

Mar 29, 2001, 7:20:36 PM3/29/01

Old One wrote:

> Belsammael <f.vd...@chello.nl> wrote:
>
> > "Old One" <7_little_...@alienmail.com> schreef in bericht

> > perfected

> > > Thank you! ;)
> >
> > I'm actually surprised it took so long for someone to notice. Or were
> > you all so afraid to speak up about it because I might change you into
> > frogs... or slugs.... *grins viciously*
>
> Or even a newt.

You'd get better. . . . ;-)

Lisa

Igenlode

Mar 30, 2001, 2:40:42 PM3/30/01
In message <c_Sv6.5$fL1....@news0.optus.net.au>
"Jehanneton" <jehan...@ozemail.com.au> wrote:

> the_peanut_gallery <the_peanu...@spamcop.net> wrote in message
>

> > [snip]

> Character roles (and yes, I include well constructed bad guy roles in
> there) are lots more fun and challenging for a good actor anyway.
> >
> > I like Mr Rickman's approach to playing baddies, which is *not* to
> > play them as villains, but as people. I'm sure he'll make a good Snape
> > without lapsing into excessive histrionics.
>
> I agree! It's far too easy to fall into the trap of playing two dimensional
> bad guys. A talented actor can look into a character's soul and portray
> them as truly multidimensional. Rickman will be fantastic.

With all the recent discussion, I've been trying to analyse the reasons
why *I* like Snape; and I think it's precisely because he is 'a baddie',
and a very well-drawn one at that. I have a weakness for villains,
particularly the clever, suave, English-accented Hollywood type
epitomised, ironically enough, by the tiger Shere Khan in the classic
Disney cartoon 'The Jungle Book'. Alan Rickman sounds perfect.

A good villain should be ruthless, without wasting time gloating or
giving the hero a second chance. He should be genuinely dangerous, with
his bite every bit as bad as his bark - and yet he may well often be
honourable in his own twisted way. When he comes up against the hero in
the final climax, he should be defeated fairly, without fixing of the
odds by the author; or even better, he should be redeemed, and end up
aiding the hero against an even greater danger.

Fantasy suffers from an excess of generic Dark Lords, and a dearth of decent
villains. Often, the best villain is to be found in a subsidiary role.
In Guy Gavriel Key's Fionavar novels, Galadan is far more intriguing -
and memorable - than Rakoth Maugrim; in 'Robin Hood', Guy of Gisborne is
a better character than the Sheriff of Nottingham.

In Harry Potter's world, this part is played by Professor Snape.
Voldemort is the Dark Lord /par excellence/, evil incarnate, insane and
powerful... and therefore rather boring. Snape is the man we love to
hate.

Snape is a cat-villain, cruel, elegant and effective where Voldemort is
a dog-villain, all savagery, bombast and bluster. And of course, Snape
is redeemed by his loyalty to Dumbledore - which makes him ideal. A
villain *and* a hero. He fights on the side of right while remaining his
old enjoyably obnoxious self.

One flaw in JK Rowling's novels, to my mind, is her unimaginative
portrayal of all Slytherins as bad. In the apocalypse to come that is
surely building as Voldemort regains his power, I hope we will see more
characters like Snape, who demonstrate that one can be bitter, twisted
and vindictive without necessarily being evil thereby.

--
Igenlode

The world owes you nothing. It was here first.

JoYfu...@webtv.net

Mar 30, 2001, 9:58:00 PM3/30/01

>Or even a newt.

>You'd get better. . . . ;-)

see what I mean? :D

"I got better."

karin

JoYfu...@webtv.net

Mar 30, 2001, 9:55:19 PM3/30/01

>Or even a newt.

we are such the Monty Python fans. :D

"She turned me into a newt!"

karin

Jonathan Buzzard

Mar 31, 2001, 4:18:31 AM3/31/01
In article <10748-3AC...@storefull-222.iap.bryant.webtv.net>,

No she didn't.

JAB.

--
Jonathan A. Buzzard Email: jona...@buzzard.org.uk
Northumberland, United Kingdom. Tel: +44(0)1661-832195

Old One

Mar 31, 2001, 8:52:36 AM3/31/01
Lisa Hicks <lhh...@midway.uchicago.edu> wrote:

> > > I'm actually surprised it took so long for someone to notice. Or were
> > > you all so afraid to speak up about it because I might change you into
> > > frogs... or slugs.... *grins viciously*
> >
> > Or even a newt.
>
> You'd get better. . . . ;-)

Thanks ;)

Old One

Mar 31, 2001, 7:11:18 PM3/31/01
<JoYfu...@webtv.net> wrote:

I will refrain from saying "you got better" because somebody else has
already said that, although I really want to. ;-)

Old One

Mar 31, 2001, 7:11:12 PM3/31/01
<JoYfu...@webtv.net> wrote:

Oh. That's just beautiful. I think you, BelSammy, and myself should be
the NG clowns.

Fran

Apr 1, 2001, 7:38:54 PM4/1/01

Jonathan Buzzard wrote in message <7d74a9...@192.168.42.254>...

>In article <10748-3AC...@storefull-222.iap.bryant.webtv.net>,
> JoYfu...@webtv.net writes:
>>
>>>Or even a newt.
>>
>> we are such the Monty Python fans. :D
>>
>> "She turned me into a newt!"
>>

>No she didn't.

Have you come here for a half hour argument or the full hour?

Frank Wustner

Apr 1, 2001, 11:37:11 PM4/1/01
"Fran" <ynysc...@lineone.net> wrote:

> Jonathan Buzzard wrote:

> >> we are such the Monty Python fans. :D

> >> "She turned me into a newt!"

> >No she didn't.

> Have you come here for a half hour argument or the full hour?

DON'T GIVE ME THAT YOU OVER-STUFFED HEAP OF PARROT DROPPINGS!!!!

--
The Deadly Nightshade
http://deadly_nightshade.tripod.com/

|-----------------------------------|
|"I, too, believe in fate... |
|the fate a man makes for himself." |
|Lord Soth ("Time of the Twins") |
|-----------------------------------|
| Want to email me? Go to the URL |
| above and email me from there. |
|-----------------------------------|

Charlie

Apr 2, 2001, 4:00:38 PM4/2/01

Frank Wustner wrote in message ...

>"Fran" <ynysc...@lineone.net> wrote:
>> Jonathan Buzzard wrote:

>> >No she didn't.
>
>> Have you come here for a half hour argument or the full hour?
>
>DON'T GIVE ME THAT YOU OVER-STUFFED HEAP OF PARROT DROPPINGS!!!!

But... this parrot is dead!

the_peanut_gallery

Apr 2, 2001, 8:34:42 PM4/2/01
On 02-Apr-01, Charlie wrote:

> Frank Wustner wrote in message ...

<snip>

That's a fine of 1 sickle each for the Monty Python Box.

Rose
--
The opinions expressed in this e-mail are entirely personal
and in no way represent those of my psychiatrist.

Ken Cope

Apr 2, 2001, 11:01:13 PM4/2/01
In an effort to distract us all, the_peanut_gallery opined:
[snip]

>I like Mr Rickman's approach to playing baddies, which is *not* to play
>them as villains, but as people. I'm sure he'll make a good Snape
>without lapsing into excessive histrionics.

Perhaps a good preview for Snape, better than swearing by Grapthar's Hammer
in _Galaxy Quest_, is Rickman's performance as Metatron, the tequila-quaffing
Voice of God in _Dogma_, for which Rickman dropped his celestial trousers, and
walked on water... much better than it had to be, and the writer/director
knew to credit the comic-book authors whose work he knowingly plundered,
which elevated it to homage... perhaps as close to a movie as any Vertigo
comic will get for a while.

>Rose
>--
>[1] My train of thought just went: anti-hero -> Batman -> Michael
>Keaton. I had a sudden vision of Michael Keaton as Peaves. Oh dear

Did you see him as Dogsberry in Ken and Emma's Much Ado About Nothing?
http://becky_819.tripod.com/Michael_Keaton/id18.html

Kent

Apr 3, 2001, 1:17:47 AM4/3/01
Ken Cope wrote:
> ... perhaps as close to a movie as any Vertigo
> comic will get for a while.

Read something the other day saying that Gaiman's "The High Cost of
Living" will start shooting soon. That'll be a switch, introducing
Death before her brother :)

Turner Arrington

Apr 3, 2001, 1:25:11 PM4/3/01

So it actually *is* going to happen!?! Is Gaiman still directing it
himself?
Where did you see this wonderful news?

turner

--
Tara: Willow's good with all that computer stuff, but me not so much.
Do you really understand all that?

the_peanut_gallery

Apr 3, 2001, 4:46:03 PM4/3/01
<9abe...@drn.newsguy.com>

On 03-Apr-01, Ken Cope wrote:

> In an effort to distract us all, the_peanut_gallery opined:
> [snip]
>> I like Mr Rickman's approach to playing baddies, which is *not* to
>> play them as villains, but as people. I'm sure he'll make a good
>> Snape without lapsing into excessive histrionics.

> Perhaps a good preview for Snape, better than swearing by Grapthar's
> Hammer in _Galaxy Quest_, is Rickman's performance as Metatron, the
> tequila-quaffing Voice of God in _Dogma_, for which Rickman dropped
> his celestial trousers, and walked on water...

An excruciatingly funny film, though I still think Ben Affleck, the
well-known Scottish mountain ;), has (just) the best line of all: "You
can't be anal-retentive if you don't have an anus".

Where's me fire-extinguisher?

Rose
--
This space is traditionally reserved for a few lines of
second-hand wit or wisdom. Please feel free to insert

Old One

Apr 3, 2001, 5:51:58 PM4/3/01
Frank Wustner <see...@for.email.org> wrote:

> "Fran" <ynysc...@lineone.net> wrote:
> > Jonathan Buzzard wrote:

> > >No she didn't.
>
> > Have you come here for a half hour argument or the full hour?
>
> DON'T GIVE ME THAT YOU OVER-STUFFED HEAP OF PARROT DROPPINGS!!!!

Yeah, parrot droppings garnished with lark's vomit.

Kent

Apr 3, 2001, 8:25:50 PM4/3/01
Turner Arrington wrote:

> So it actually *is* going to happen!?! Is Gaiman still directing it
> himself?
> Where did you see this wonderful news?

While searching around for news of he Modesty Blaise film. I'll see if
I can find it again for you

Charlie

Apr 5, 2001, 5:25:42 PM4/5/01

Kent wrote in message <3ACA6A60...@worldnet.att.net>...
>Turner Arrington wrote:

Modesty Blaise film

You can tell I don't keep up to date with the film world! Which book/story
is being filmed, or is it a new one being written especially for the screen?
I haven't read any Modesty for ages. Really must look her out and get
reacquainted with her :o)

Hatter

Kent

Apr 5, 2001, 9:06:17 PM4/5/01
Charlie wrote:

> You can tell I don't keep up to date with the film world! Which book/story
> is being filmed, or is it a new one being written especially for the screen?
> I haven't read any Modesty for ages. Really must look her out and get
> reacquainted with her :o)

The rumor consensus is that it will be an adaptation of "A Taste For
Death". It was originally going to be produced by Quentin Tarrantino,
but he's apparently no longer involved. They had one script which was
rejected and last I heard, they were working on another from a more
respectable source. Gaiman was rumored to have been involved, but I
could find nothing to back this up. Carrie Ann Moss had been approached
for the role of Modesty and she apparently read the first script, but no
word as to whether she'll be officially courted for the role. Current
status of the film is 'development hell' which I understand to mean that
there are more loose-ends in the project than firm plans. Peter
O'Donnell is involved in overseeing the script and casting choices
(given the gawdawful mess made of the first MB film). And these are all
the facts I know about the film....rampant rumors on the other hand...

BTW. The last ever Modesty Blaise strip will run in The Evening
Standard on April 11th.

liselle

Apr 6, 2001, 5:46:13 AM4/6/01

"Charlie" <ynysc...@lineone.net> wrote in message
that parrot wouldnt go VROOOOOOM if you put 10000 volts thru it...

DogDogCat

Apr 12, 2001, 11:55:07 PM4/12/01
Igenlode wrote tons of interesting stuff...including these bits I didn't snip:

>> > I like Mr Rickman's approach to playing baddies, which is *not* to
>> > play them as villains, but as people. I'm sure he'll make a good Snape
>> > without lapsing into excessive histrionics.
When I first saw a picture of Rickman in an announcement that he would be
playing Snape I realized he was the Sheriff of Nottingham in "Robin Hood:
Prince of Thieves" and had been one of my favorite parts of that movie. There's
a line where he threatens to "cut your heart out WITH A SPOON!" Then he gets
annoyed as he has to explain the threat to someone else. As I remember it he
was playing one of those essentially weak people in a powerful position...a
truly despicable villain. :)

>>I have a weakness for villains,
>particularly the clever, suave, English-accented Hollywood type
>epitomised, ironically enough, by the tiger Shere Khan in the classic
>Disney cartoon 'The Jungle Book'.

Shere Khan's voice always reminds me of Tim Curry in Rocky Horror. The
comparison ends there of course. <g>

>And of course, Snape
>is redeemed by his loyalty to Dumbledore - which makes him ideal. A
>villain *and* a hero.

I'm curious to know what Dumbledore knows about Snape's past - the reason he's
so unwaveringly sure that Snape is trustworthy. I wouldn't be surprised if we
don't know til the end of book 7 though, since he's *such* a good villain for
now.

ddc

Jim Gillogly

Apr 13, 2001, 12:29:35 AM4/13/01
DogDogCat wrote:

> When I first saw a picture of Rickman in an announcement that he would be
> playing Snape I realized he was the Sheriff of Nottingham in "Robin Hood:
> Prince of Thieves"... As I remember it he

> was playing one of those essentially weak people in a powerful position...a
> truly despicable villain. :)

Rather like a certain President of a country that shall remain nameless?

> >And of course, Snape
> >is redeemed by his loyalty to Dumbledore - which makes him ideal. A
> >villain *and* a hero.
> I'm curious to know what Dumbledore knows about Snape's past - the reason he's
> so unwaveringly sure that Snape is trustworthy. I wouldn't be surprised if we
> don't know til the end of book 7 though, since he's *such* a good villain for
> now.

I'm not absolutely convinced that Snape is indeed trustworthy. After all,
Dumbledore has demonstrated on several occasions that he is not a good
judge of character. As Will Rogers said, "It ain't so much what you don't
know that'll hurt you: it's what you do know that ain't so." (Before anyone
rushes to flame me, it's also attributed to Mark Twain, Josh Billings,
and others, and Bartlett's didn't help much.)
--
Jim Gillogly
Sterday, 22 Astron S.R. 2001, 04:10

Richard Eney

Apr 13, 2001, 1:02:38 AM4/13/01
In article <3AD680AF...@acm.org>, Jim Gillogly <j...@acm.org> wrote:
>DogDogCat wrote:
<snip>

>> I'm curious to know what Dumbledore knows about Snape's past - the
>> reason he's so unwaveringly sure that Snape is trustworthy. I wouldn't
>> be surprised if we don't know til the end of book 7 though, since he's
>> *such* a good villain for now.
>
>I'm not absolutely convinced that Snape is indeed trustworthy. After all,
>Dumbledore has demonstrated on several occasions that he is not a good
>judge of character.

True, Dumbledore has apparently misjudged Fudge and was surprised by some
of Fudge's behavior. He also trusts Hagrid with information despite
Hagrid's known drinking-and-talking problem.

However, he has worked with Snape in the past and apparently Snape was
trustworthy then. So far, we've seen Snape obeying Dumbledore's
instructions even when it was against his own stated opinions, and helping
people he (Snape) really didn't want to help. He tried to protect Harry,
he made a treatment potion for a person he despised, and he went off to do
something that scared even him just because Dumbledore told him to.
(Snape is very good at dueling, he wasn't afraid of Fluffy even after he
was injured, and he can halt an entire classroom's worth of student spells
with one word; also, he's worked against Voldemort at the height of
Voldy's power when it was not at all certain that Voldy wouldn't win - so,
what would scare Snape?)

Do we know what house Snape was in? We _assume_ he was in Slytherin, but
I don't remember whether we've specifically been told that.

=Tamar

Brian Siano

Apr 13, 2001, 1:02:28 AM4/13/01

DogDogCat wrote:

> >>I have a weakness for villains,
> >particularly the clever, suave, English-accented Hollywood type
> >epitomised, ironically enough, by the tiger Shere Khan in the classic
> >Disney cartoon 'The Jungle Book'.
>
> Shere Khan's voice always reminds me of Tim Curry in Rocky Horror. The
> comparison ends there of course. <g>

Let's provide the name, shall we? The urbane, disinterested, and generally
fun-to-watch George Sanders. Whose suicide note said that he was killing himself
because he was _bored_.
--
Brian Siano
email: bsi...@bellatlantic.net
Domain: http://www.briansiano.com

O'Karen

Apr 13, 2001, 11:12:14 AM4/13/01
In article <3AD680AF...@acm.org>, Jim Gillogly <j...@acm.org> wrote:

> I'm not absolutely convinced that Snape is indeed trustworthy. After all,
> Dumbledore has demonstrated on several occasions that he is not a good
> judge of character. As Will Rogers said, "It ain't so much what you don't
> know that'll hurt you: it's what you do know that ain't so." (Before anyone
> rushes to flame me, it's also attributed to Mark Twain, Josh Billings,
> and others, and Bartlett's didn't help much.)

I have a lot of problems with Dumbledore. You spose the big surprise
in book 7 is that he is the bad guy? He seems to have done almost as
much as Voldemort to screw up Harry's life, plus he continues to have
Harry's trust, in spite of it all. Subject for another thread, I
think.

okaren

--
"The real measure of your wealth is how much you'd be worth if
you lost all your money." -- Anonymous

Christopher Hortin

Apr 13, 2001, 4:37:16 PM4/13/01
dic...@Radix.Net (Richard Eney) wrote:

[bigass snip]

>Do we know what house Snape was in? We _assume_ he was in Slytherin, but
>I don't remember whether we've specifically been told that.

Since Snape is the head of Slytherin House, it's assumed that he was in
Slytherin himself. Also, there is a place in the books where Sirius states
that Snape "hung out with a group of Slytherins that all turned out to be
Death Eaters." None of this is rock solid proof, of course, but it's the
most logical explanation to me.

~Chris, the Icicle Child~ (then again, "logic" has no meaning in my small
town)
--
Brain: "Pinky, are you pondering what I'm pondering?"
Pinky: "I think so, Brain, but if Jimmy cracks corn

Minstrelz

Apr 22, 2001, 4:20:42 PM4/22/01

"DogDogCat" <dogd...@aol.comnojinx> wrote in

> Shere Khan's voice always reminds me of Tim Curry in Rocky Horror. The
> comparison ends there of course. <g>

ohhhh nooooo...now I'll never get visions of Shere Khan in a bustier out of
my head!

Mins

Christopher Hortin

Apr 22, 2001, 11:28:15 PM4/22/01
"Minstrelz" <mins...@earthlink.net> wrote:

The mental image just makes me shiver with antici-

-pation!

Poll time folks! Which male character in the Harry Potter series would make
the best Dr. Frankenfurter?

~Chris, the Icicle Child~ (you know my vote's on Snape in a small town)

Daria Wells

Apr 22, 2001, 11:43:21 PM4/22/01
In article <ml77etk39cl3l397u...@4ax.com>, Christopher
Hortin <icicl...@earthlink.net> wrote:

| "Minstrelz" <mins...@earthlink.net> wrote:
|

| >"DogDogCat" <dogd...@aol.comnojinx> wrote in
| >
| >> Shere Khan's voice always reminds me of Tim Curry in Rocky Horror. The
| >> comparison ends there of course. <g>
| >

| >ohhhh nooooo...now I'll never get visions of Shere Khan in a bustier out of
| >my head!
| >
| The mental image just makes me shiver with antici-

| -pation!
|
| Poll time folks! Which male character in the Harry Potter series would make
| the best Dr. Frankenfurter?

Lockhart! Lockhart! Girls and boys adore him! :-)

--
"Whither you wander, hither and yonder, letting your heart be your guide"

Atalanta Pendragonne

Apr 23, 2001, 7:17:42 AM4/23/01
On Mon, 23 Apr 2001 03:43:21 GMT, Daria Wells
<fashio...@hotmail.com> babbled about Re: Harry Frankenfurter?:

>In article <ml77etk39cl3l397u...@4ax.com>, Christopher
>Hortin <icicl...@earthlink.net> wrote:
>
>| "Minstrelz" <mins...@earthlink.net> wrote:
>|

>| >"DogDogCat" <dogd...@aol.comnojinx> wrote in

>| >ohhhh nooooo...now I'll never get visions of Shere Khan in a bustier out of
>| >my head!
>| >
>| The mental image just makes me shiver with antici-

>| -pation!
>|
>| Poll time folks! Which male character in the Harry Potter series would make
>| the best Dr. Frankenfurter?
>
>Lockhart! Lockhart! Girls and boys adore him! :-)

Nah, Lockhart'd make a good Rocky. Big, blond, and dumb.

I'd have to vote for Snape as Dr. Frank-N-Furter. Clever, ruthless,
full of himself, and tempermental.

Harry and Hermione are pretty much a lock for Brad and Janet, I
suppose. You couldn't ask for a better Eddie than Hagrid. And I could
see Moaning Myrtle as Columbia.

Riff-Raff and Magenta, now, I must admit to being stumped there. Dobby
and Winky?
Atalanta Pendragonne
http://www.BmeWorld.com/atalanta/ - Snake's Slash Pit (Adults Only!)
http://members.fortunecity.com/atalantapendragonne - The Amazing Shrinking Atalanta
TRUE! Nervous, very, very dreadfully nervous I had been and am; but why will you say that I am mad?

Stefan Soher

Apr 23, 2001, 11:35:15 AM4/23/01
On Mon, 23 Apr 2001 11:17:42 GMT, atal...@technodyke.com (Atalanta
Pendragonne) wrote:

>>| Poll time folks! Which male character in the Harry Potter series would make
>>| the best Dr. Frankenfurter?
>>Lockhart! Lockhart! Girls and boys adore him! :-)

Definitely yes.

>Nah, Lockhart'd make a good Rocky. Big, blond, and dumb.

But not nearly as self-centered.

How about Draco Malfoy as Rocky? A personality that's not really
completed, mainly driven by others, and a huge potential for disaster.

>Riff-Raff and Magenta, now, I must admit to being stumped there. Dobby
>and Winky?

Finch and Mrs Norris?

Stefan

O'Karen

May 11, 2001, 5:07:23 PM5/11/01
In article <3ae40f03....@news-server.austin.rr.com>, Atalanta
Pendragonne <atal...@technodyke.com> wrote:

I know this is an old thread that somehow I missed. But, I hate to see
it go by without my contribution:

> Nah, Lockhart'd make a good Rocky. Big, blond, and dumb.

No, I see Rocky as being of the younger generation, and I hate seeing
Ron get left out of the casting so make Ron and Hermione be Brad and
Janet, then that makes Harry Rocky or Rocky Harry, whichever is correct
English.

> I'd have to vote for Snape as Dr. Frank-N-Furter. Clever, ruthless,
> full of himself, and tempermental.

Makes sense

> Harry and Hermione are pretty much a lock for Brad and Janet, I
> suppose. You couldn't ask for a better Eddie than Hagrid. And I could
> see Moaning Myrtle as Columbia.

Yeah, I tried to turn Sirius into Eddie, but it doesn't work as well as
Hagrid.

> Riff-Raff and Magenta, now, I must admit to being stumped there. Dobby
> and Winky?

No, I agree with Stefan Soher:

> Finch and Mrs Norris?

Yes

--
"If you tell the truth, you don't have to remember anything." --
Mark Twain