Hogwarts is a Horcrux

lord trousers

May 14, 2006, 3:02:31 AM5/14/06
Before you laugh, think about this from a *dramatic* perspective--kind
of like the people on the HMS Harmony did before it sank. You know,
disconnect from the facts for a while and think about how cool it would
be.

So Voldemort makes Hogwarts a horcrux, rather than some dinky thing in
the trophy room. That means, to destroy Voldypants, Harry needs to
DESTROY HOGWARTS.

Dramatic, I know. Harry would have to, like, bomb it or something.

So yeah, I'm not being totally serious. But something occurred to me
while I was thinking up this silly post: what's the size limit on
horcrii? Why *couldn't* Voldything make the whole of Hogwarts a
horcrux? And if the maximum size of the object is related to the power
of the wizard, how big could one of big V's horcrii be?

I'll bet he could horcrux all of Scotland. Be a shame, too, cuz it's
such a pretty place, aside from Glasgow.

- lord trousers

--
Stop being an illiterate Philistine:
http://mr-writing-person.blogspot.com

xu.c...@gmail.com

May 14, 2006, 3:24:09 AM5/14/06
the Horgwarts will be DESTROYED?!
NO WAY!
If there's no Hogwarts, nowhere for wizards and witchs to study magic,
at least an excellent place for magic, and what will happen to the rest
of the story? You know, the Hogwarts is the most important place in the
series, if in the end, it's destroyed, i think everybody will cry...

lord trousers

May 14, 2006, 3:33:04 AM5/14/06

I'd cry, too, but you know, that's drama. Run everyone, including your
reader, through the crucible and see what's left when you're done.

Fish Eye no Miko

May 14, 2006, 4:26:36 AM5/14/06
lord trousers wrote:

> xu.chi...@gmail.com wrote:
>
>> the Horgwarts will be DESTROYED?!
>> NO WAY!
>> If there's no Hogwarts, nowhere for wizards and witchs to study
>> magic, at least an excellent place for magic, and what will happen
>> to the rest of the story? You know, the Hogwarts is the most
>> important place in the series, if in the end, it's destroyed, i
>> think everybody will cry...
>
> I'd cry, too, but you know, that's drama. Run everyone, including
> your reader, through the crucible and see what's left when you're
> done.

A bunch of pissed off fans?

Catherine Johnson.
--
fenm at cox dot net
Right now you are reading my .sig quote.

John VanSickle

May 14, 2006, 12:57:52 PM5/14/06

Hogwarts is a thing. Things can be replaced.

Regards,
John

Jane Grey

May 14, 2006, 4:35:42 PM5/14/06
lord trousers wrote:
> Before you laugh, think about this from a *dramatic* perspective--kind
> of like the people on the HMS Harmony did before it sank. You know,
> disconnect from the facts for a while and think about how cool it would
> be.
>
> So Voldemort makes Hogwarts a horcrux, rather than some dinky thing in
> the trophy room. That means, to destroy Voldypants, Harry needs to
> DESTROY HOGWARTS.

hmm, well we don't know that in order to destroy the soulfragment that
the object which it is encased in has to be destroyed... could be
there's another way to get at the soul fragment -like maybe get a
Dementer to suck it out or something

> Dramatic, I know. Harry would have to, like, bomb it or something.
>
> So yeah, I'm not being totally serious. But something occurred to me
> while I was thinking up this silly post: what's the size limit on
> horcrii? Why *couldn't* Voldything make the whole of Hogwarts a

the plural isn't 'horcrii' btw, I am going by the chapter in HBP called
'Horcruxes'

> horcrux? And if the maximum size of the object is related to the power
> of the wizard, how big could one of big V's horcrii be?
>
> I'll bet he could horcrux all of Scotland. Be a shame, too, cuz it's
> such a pretty place, aside from Glasgow.

nah

--
Jane Grey

Thom Madura

May 14, 2006, 6:03:07 PM5/14/06
lord trousers wrote:

I left a message saying Riddle should be using things that are harder to
destroy as Horcruxes. Examples I gave were the British Isles, an
Ocean, or even a mountain. Somehow, the really evil ones never think
this way. The come up with an easily figured out puzzle (Like - things
from the 4 founders) to make it easy to figure out. In this - JKR has
not been imaginative enough - but unfortunately - I don't think
Hogwarts is a possibilty as such - he used it for his Chamber.

lord trousers

May 14, 2006, 10:04:31 PM5/14/06
Jane Grey wrote:
> the plural isn't 'horcrii' btw, I am going by the chapter in HBP called
> 'Horcruxes'

Anybody who knows a significant amount of Latin can easily see that the
plural of "horcruxes" is "horcrii." Just ask John Noe.

Fish Eye no Miko

May 14, 2006, 10:42:01 PM5/14/06
lord trousers wrote:

> Jane Grey wrote:
>
>> the plural isn't 'horcrii' btw, I am going by the chapter in HBP
>> called 'Horcruxes'
>
> Anybody who knows a significant amount of Latin can easily see
> that the plural of "horcruxes" is "horcrii." Just ask John Noe.

Well, maybe the plural of "horcruxes" is "horcrii", but the plural of
"horcux" is "horcruxes".

Catherine Johnson. What?

Kami

May 14, 2006, 10:56:34 PM5/14/06
lord trousers wrote:
> Jane Grey wrote:
> > the plural isn't 'horcrii' btw, I am going by the chapter in HBP called
> > 'Horcruxes'
>
> Anybody who knows a significant amount of Latin can easily see that the
> plural of "horcruxes" is "horcrii." Just ask John Noe.
>
> - lord trousers

JKR has covered this issue on her official site; the following can be
found in the F.A.Q. About the Books section.

Is the plural of 'Horcrux' 'Horcri?'

No, the plural of 'Horcrux' is 'Horcruxes', as demonstrated by the
eponymous chapter in 'Half-Blood Prince.'

Richard Eney

May 15, 2006, 1:04:55 AM5/15/06
In article <kkJ9g.2408$y4....@newsread2.news.pas.earthlink.net>,

Are we entirely certain that Hogwarts isn't already a real ruin?
The great hall ceiling looks just like the sky outside - or is it that
the great hall has no ceiling, but magic keeps the weather out? The
halls are cold and filled with gusts of wind - not a lot of repair work
being done. Only the comparatively small living spaces are kept warm.
The amount of magic required for the that might not be too much.

Maybe the reason muggles only see a ruin is that you only get to
see the magically-created Hogwarts if you go through that boat-and
-tunnel entrance the first year. It's like Elf Hill - all glamour.

The Weasley house - the Burrow - looks as though the only thing
holding it up is magic. That's probably true. (Though I harbor
a quiet belief that there are some cellars and tunnels there that
we haven't been told about. And what's up with the two visitors
using the exact same place in the yard to do their Apparation from?
Is all that "old junk" kept to mark certain spots as better for
certain destinations?)

=Tamar

Toon

May 15, 2006, 3:53:25 AM5/15/06
On 14 May 2006 00:02:31 -0700, "lord trousers"
<neil.t...@gmail.com> wrote:

>Before you laugh, think about this from a *dramatic* perspective--kind
>of like the people on the HMS Harmony did before it sank. You know,
>disconnect from the facts for a while and think about how cool it would
>be.
>
>So Voldemort makes Hogwarts a horcrux, rather than some dinky thing in
>the trophy room. That means, to destroy Voldypants, Harry needs to
>DESTROY HOGWARTS.
>
>Dramatic, I know. Harry would have to, like, bomb it or something.

And the symbolism. Harry'd be destroying his first real home.
Hogwarts is the first place he truly felt he belonged, wanted to stay.
If he could stay the summer like young Tom wanted (and still no
explanation why Harry never asked DD, since he saw it's a legit
option. Tom was refused because of his purification plans, not
because it's not allowed.)

If he is in contact with DD's Portrait, he'd be force to destroy it as
well (we'll assume there's no time to evacuate the people and grab
paintings and ROR stashes, etc.) Not to mention, leave no formal
training for the next gen of students until it's rebuilt. And if he
destroys the ground to a smoldering rater, where will new Hogwarts be?

Emotionally speaking, it'd be a powerful scene.

But can you implant a school? Is not a school just a collection of
bricks and stones and such? Shingles on a roof. Would you not be
forced simply to place your Soul Bit in a particular stone or such?

Was the Diary a specific page? The front/back cover? Was the writing
from the memory, or the Soul Bit? I think the memory. Designed to
talk to anybody in regard to what it remembers. Anything it didn't
know at the time is unanswerable (Like the holorecording in the movie
I Robot.)

Or could the Soul Bit be implanted in many pages at once (their so
thin)? And if so, ripping out one does what to the Soul Bit?

I don't think JK truly thought this idea through enough.

Toon

May 16, 2006, 4:01:17 AM5/16/06
On Mon, 15 May 2006 05:04:55 -0000, dic...@radix.net (Richard Eney)
wrote:

>Are we entirely certain that Hogwarts isn't already a real ruin?
>The great hall ceiling looks just like the sky outside - or is it that
>the great hall has no ceiling, but magic keeps the weather out? The
>halls are cold and filled with gusts of wind - not a lot of repair work
>being done. Only the comparatively small living spaces are kept warm.
>The amount of magic required for the that might not be too much.

The ceiling is said to be bewitched to resemble the outside sky. The
halls are cold because old castles are always drafty. Don't know why.
Thye just are.

DM

May 16, 2006, 7:25:14 PM5/16/06

I've already put forth this theory. After all, IIRC, Ravenclaw did make
the floor plans, so it could be considered an object of a founder.

--
DM
---

,_,
(O,O)
( )
-"-"-

dm1498 (at) gmail.com
---
"RUN, SCABBERS, RUN!" - Jenny Lestrange
"I would've gotten away with it if it weren't for those meddling kids!"
- Lord Voldemort

HPCode(v1.1) S PS++COS++POA+++*GOF+++OOTP+HBP+++FF= QA
CH+++DD+++HB-HM+*PO+++TR+AR++CM++
HP/Gi-RW/Ch-CC/Mn-FW/GW/Ol-NL/Fl-SS/Um-VK/Ka

Dave Hardenbrook

May 22, 2006, 4:35:24 AM5/22/06
Maybe LV made the *entire Earth* a horcrux, so that in order to destory
him, Harry will have to charter a Vogon Constructor Fleet. :)

Froggy

May 22, 2006, 2:16:32 PM5/22/06
<snip>

>> I'll bet he could horcrux all of Scotland. Be a shame, too, cuz it's
>> such a pretty place, aside from Glasgow.
>>
>> - lord trousers
>>
>> --

Sorry to piggyback, as I didn't get the original post. Is Glasgow that
bad? lol I have family and friends there. I've never been as they are in
laws. (wanna go visit soon)
--
~Froggy~

From there to here,
from here to there,
funny things
are everywhere.
--Dr. Suess

DM

May 22, 2006, 2:36:18 PM5/22/06
Froggy wrote:
> <snip>
>
>>>I'll bet he could horcrux all of Scotland. Be a shame, too, cuz it's
>>>such a pretty place, aside from Glasgow.
>>>
>>>- lord trousers
>>>
>>>--
>

> Sorry to piggyback, as I didn't get the original post. Is Glasgow that
> bad? lol I have family and friends there. I've never been as they are in
> laws. (wanna go visit soon)

I do too. I want to visit England in the next year or two. Maybe take a
scenic bus to Scotland. If you plan a trip in 2007 or '08 and you might
like some company, Froggy, let me know.

Toon

May 23, 2006, 4:40:14 AM5/23/06

Or transfigure hogwarts into one.

Does V have 42 horcruxes?

richard e white

May 24, 2006, 6:30:38 PM5/24/06

What would be the big deal? They would just turn around and rebuild it.
Harry potter 8 Harry and the morter spell?
Harry poter and the contracters of evil?

--
Richard The Blind Typer
Lets Hear It For Talking Computers.

richard e white

May 24, 2006, 6:34:36 PM5/24/06
Richard Eney wrote:

That is easy. There was a anti apperation zone around the house. There was a
spot left open so any one that pops in has to show up and leave from one
place. I was rather surprised that Harry couldn't understand it.

> Is all that "old junk" kept to mark certain spots as better for
> certain destinations?)

I would bet on some of them being traps and the like.

> =Tamar

richard e white

May 24, 2006, 6:40:11 PM5/24/06
Thom Madura wrote:

> lord trousers wrote:
>
> > Before you laugh, think about this from a *dramatic* perspective--kind
> > of like the people on the HMS Harmony did before it sank. You know,
> > disconnect from the facts for a while and think about how cool it would
> > be.
> >
> > So Voldemort makes Hogwarts a horcrux, rather than some dinky thing in
> > the trophy room. That means, to destroy Voldypants, Harry needs to
> > DESTROY HOGWARTS.
> >
> > Dramatic, I know. Harry would have to, like, bomb it or something.
> >
> > So yeah, I'm not being totally serious. But something occurred to me
> > while I was thinking up this silly post: what's the size limit on
> > horcrii? Why *couldn't* Voldything make the whole of Hogwarts a
> > horcrux? And if the maximum size of the object is related to the power
> > of the wizard, how big could one of big V's horcrii be?
> >
> > I'll bet he could horcrux all of Scotland. Be a shame, too, cuz it's
> > such a pretty place, aside from Glasgow.
> >
> > - lord trousers
> >
> > --
> > Stop being an illiterate Philistine:
> > http://mr-writing-person.blogspot.com
> >

> I left a message saying Riddle should be using things that are harder to
> destroy as Horcruxes. Examples I gave were the British Isles, an
> Ocean, or even a mountain.

As the items you mentioned arn't one thing but stacks of dirt and rocks I
doubt it would work. How ever If it was just one large rock that might be a
good idea. However I think one small stone that you drop in a sea would be
better.