A question for the Britons in the group

Fish Eye no Miko

Apr 28, 2003, 5:48:31 PM4/28/03
Hey, all!

Howdy from across the pond. ^_^ I have a question for those of you from
the UK: What do you call the noon meal? I know there's "lunch" and
"dinner" and "supper", and some are used for the noon meal, and some for
the evening meal, and whatnot... I'm wondering which would be proper to
use. I'm writing an HP fanfic (my first! Yay!), and I want to get my
expressions correct.

Catherine Johnson, who will also need to remember to use the term
"trousers" and not "pants". ^_^
--
fenm at cox dot net
"Most of my joy comes from the fact that _Buffy_ is ending before it gets

Matt

Apr 28, 2003, 5:55:29 PM4/28/03
Fish Eye no Miko wrote:
> Hey, all!
>
> Howdy from across the pond. ^_^ I have a question for those of you
> from the UK: What do you call the noon meal? I know there's
> "lunch" and "dinner" and "supper", and some are used for the noon
> meal, and some for the evening meal, and whatnot... I'm wondering
> which would be proper to use. I'm writing an HP fanfic (my first!
> Yay!), and I want to get my expressions correct.

At noon, lunch would be a small meal, like sandwidges, burger - something you
would probably eat with your hands, something simple - sandwidges, bit of cake,
pork pie/sausage roll etc, often cold food.

Dinner would generally be a more formal meal, with knives and forks a definate
necessity, a 'main course' IYSWIM.

'Sunday Dinner' is a traditional meal of a roast bit of meat (lamb, beef, pork
etc) with (often) boiled potatoes, and vegetables, e.g. carrots, peas, (or less
often) turnips, sprouts (yuk).

Think 'school dinner' - a proper meal, and 'packed lunch' - sandwidges etc.

HTH.

> Catherine Johnson, who will also need to remember to use the term
> "trousers" and not "pants". ^_^

Don't forget that, could be embarrasing ;-)

And pavement, and tap, and all the other's I've forgotten. Torch.

Matt

'Luck is my middle name,' said Rincewind, indistinctly. 'Mind you, my
first name is Bad.' -- Terry Pratchett, Interesting Times

Dragon Friend

Apr 28, 2003, 5:59:17 PM4/28/03
"Fish Eye no Miko" <fis...@deadmoon.circus> wrote in message

> Hey, all!
>
> Howdy from across the pond. ^_^ I have a question for those of you
> from the UK: What do you call the noon meal? I know there's
> "lunch" and "dinner" and "supper", and some are used for the noon
> meal, and some for the evening meal, and whatnot... I'm wondering
> which would be proper to use. I'm writing an HP fanfic (my first!
> Yay!), and I want to get my expressions correct.
>
> Catherine Johnson, who will also need to remember to use the term
> "trousers" and not "pants". ^_^

Hi Catherine, well as a Brit I can tell you the correct form would be: noon
meal is called lunch, evening meal is called dinner and if you have a snack
before going to bed it is called supper. However you will sometimes hear
people call the noon meal 'dinner time' and the evening meal 'tea time',
this can be an area thing but it can also be a class thing. My family are
upper working class and sometimes they call the evening meal tea time and
noon meal dinner time.

Dragon Friend
--
"Humanity... so noble, always willing to sacrifice... the other
fellow." ~~ Max von Sydow in NEEDFUL THINGS. "...perhaps all the

Mark Townsend

Apr 28, 2003, 6:08:48 PM4/28/03
"Fish Eye no Miko" <fis...@deadmoon.circus> wrote in message

> Hey, all!
>
> Howdy from across the pond. ^_^ I have a question for those of you from
> the UK: What do you call the noon meal? I know there's "lunch" and
> "dinner" and "supper", and some are used for the noon meal, and some for
> the evening meal, and whatnot... I'm wondering which would be proper to
> use. I'm writing an HP fanfic (my first! Yay!), and I want to get my
> expressions correct.

We British are so famed for our bland food, we feel the need to pep up our
meals by having LOTS of them all through the day. There's Breakfast,
Elevenses, Lunch/Dinner (Interchangable where I come from), afternoon Tea,
Tea (Or Tea-Time), Supper.

I suspect only Garfield ever had more meals.

> Catherine Johnson, who will also need to remember to use the term
> "trousers" and not "pants". ^_^

Not to mention that it's football, not soccer, Jam, not Jelly, Jelly not
Jello, Chips, not fries, Rubbish, not Trash or Garbage...

Oh, and "I could murder a fag" has an ENTIRELY different meaning over here!

Mark

--
"The Marauder's Map!" Harry yelped happily.
"Guess Dumbledore thought you'd need it next year," Sirius said happily.

Matt

Apr 28, 2003, 6:06:59 PM4/28/03
Dragon Friend wrote:
<meals in UK>

> Hi Catherine, well as a Brit I can tell you the correct form would
> be:

Me too

> noon meal is called lunch, evening meal is called dinner and if
> you have a snack before going to bed it is called supper.

Usually

> However
> you will sometimes hear people call the noon meal 'dinner time' and
> the evening meal 'tea time',

Indeed

> this can be an area thing but it can
> also be a class thing. My family are upper working class

Mine too. Or lower middle class.

> and
> sometimes they call the evening meal tea time and noon meal dinner
> time.

I think it depends on what the meal is. I've tried to say that in my other
reply, but a noon meal could be 'dinner' if it was the larger meal of the day,
and then the evening meal would probably be 'tea' (for me. Think of 'afternoon
tea' to really confuse you).

ummm.. Fish.. what are the characters eating at noon?

Electric Frog

Apr 28, 2003, 6:53:50 PM4/28/03

"Mark Townsend" <mark.to...@ntlworld.com> wrote in message

> "Fish Eye no Miko" <fis...@deadmoon.circus> wrote in message
> > Hey, all!
> >
> > Howdy from across the pond. ^_^ I have a question for those of you
from
> > the UK: What do you call the noon meal? I know there's "lunch" and
> > "dinner" and "supper", and some are used for the noon meal, and some for
> > the evening meal, and whatnot... I'm wondering which would be proper to
> > use. I'm writing an HP fanfic (my first! Yay!), and I want to get my
> > expressions correct.
>
> We British are so famed for our bland food, we feel the need to pep up our
> meals by having LOTS of them all through the day. There's Breakfast,
> Elevenses, Lunch/Dinner (Interchangable where I come from), afternoon Tea,
> Tea (Or Tea-Time), Supper.
>
> I suspect only Garfield ever had more meals.

And hobbits but then aren't Hobbits based upon the English who inhabit the
midland shires ?

Mark Townsend

Apr 28, 2003, 7:02:44 PM4/28/03
"Electric Frog" <bounced...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> > I suspect only Garfield ever had more meals.
> >

> And hobbits but then aren't Hobbits based upon the English who inhabit the
> midland shires ?

You can follow most of the LotR peoples back to various British cultural
stereotypes... The Welsh are Dwarves, Elves are East-Anglians, Scots are
Humans, the population of the Southern Counties are the Hobbits. I suspect
Germans are Orcs while the French are Goblins.

Mark

--
"There are three schools of magic. One: State a tautology, then ring
the changes on its corollaries; That's Philosophy. Two: Record many

Thomas Madura

Apr 28, 2003, 7:46:30 PM4/28/03

Fish Eye no Miko wrote:

> Hey, all!
>
> Howdy from across the pond. ^_^ I have a question for those of you from
> the UK: What do you call the noon meal? I know there's "lunch" and
> "dinner" and "supper", and some are used for the noon meal, and some for
> the evening meal, and whatnot... I'm wondering which would be proper to
> use. I'm writing an HP fanfic (my first! Yay!), and I want to get my
> expressions correct.

You would be better off using the time of day than the term - since the
Brits who do answer you will state that lunch/dinner/supper are hard to
classify terms - probably because the Brits are too busy eating at the
time to figure out which to use. Of course- if you really want to know
which is the correct term - just use the wrong one in your Fanfic and
you will forever be reminded.

> Catherine Johnson, who will also need to remember to use the term
> "trousers" and not "pants". ^_^

I would believe that the Brits are probably able to figure out what
"pants" means without much help - it is what is done when you see an
impossibly gorgeous person of the oppposite sex on the beach wearing
practically nothing. Somehow - I can't see how Trousers would fit?

Loriba

Apr 28, 2003, 8:13:52 PM4/28/03
In article <Ujhra.3611$pJ6.2430@fed1read05>, fis...@deadmoon.circus
wibbled thus...

> Hey, all!
>
> Howdy from across the pond. ^_^ I have a question for those of you from
> the UK: What do you call the noon meal? I know there's "lunch" and
> "dinner" and "supper", and some are used for the noon meal, and some for
> the evening meal, and whatnot... I'm wondering which would be proper to
> use. I'm writing an HP fanfic (my first! Yay!), and I want to get my
> expressions correct.

IME it actually depends on where in the UK you come from (or where your
parents came from).

For instance, my parents come from Hampshire in the south of England and
I live in the East of England. In both places the meal eaten in the
middle of the day is *usually* referred to as lunch. This includes the
more formal Sunday Lunch.

The meal in the evening, if larger than the meal at noon(ish) will be
referred to as dinner, or if it is smaller, as tea or even supper
(although I've *never* used the word supper in anger in my life <g>).

Our more northern cousins tend to refer to the 'middle of the day' meal
as dinner, and any meal in the evening as tea. This is true for friends
from Derbyshire and Lancashire, and for relatives from Yorkshire.

So the answer is dinner if you're a northerner and lunch if you're a
soft southern pansy! :-))

Other people's MMV, of course.

--
Loriba

No matter how fast light travels it finds the darkness has always got
there first, and is waiting for it. - (Terry Pratchett, Reaper Man)
HPCode(1.0) - SPS+COS=POA+++GOF++FF= QB
AR+AT+CM=CH++DD+++HB--HM+PO+++TR++

Creweser

Apr 28, 2003, 8:16:26 PM4/28/03
Catherine,

Where I originally came from (North East England), we had breakfast, dinner
(mid-day) and tea (evening meal). Supper was what we had just before going
to bed, usually a bowl of cereal. Ah, happy days!.

Martin

Fish Eye no Miko

Apr 28, 2003, 9:19:04 PM4/28/03
"Mark Townsend" <mark.to...@ntlworld.com> wrote in message

> "Fish Eye no Miko" <fis...@deadmoon.circus> wrote:
> >
> > Howdy from across the pond. ^_^ I have a question for those
> > of you from the UK: What do you call the noon meal? I know
> > there's "lunch" and "dinner" and "supper", and some are used for
> > the noon meal, and some for the evening meal, and whatnot...
> > I'm wondering which would be proper to use. I'm writing an
> > HP fanfic (my first! Yay!), and I want to get my expressions
> > correct.
>
> We British are so famed for our bland food, we feel the need to
> pep up our meals by having LOTS of them all through the day.
> There's Breakfast, Elevenses, Lunch/Dinner (Interchangable
> where I come from), afternoon Tea, Tea (Or Tea-Time),
> Supper. I suspect only Garfield ever had more meals.

So... you're hobbits? ^_^

> > Catherine Johnson, who will also need to remember to use the term
> > "trousers" and not "pants". ^_^
>
> Not to mention that it's football, not soccer, Jam, not Jelly, Jelly not
> Jello, Chips, not fries, Rubbish, not Trash or Garbage...

Lorry (truck), lift (elevator), jumper (sweater, I think), torch
(flashlight)... Yeah, I know some of the differences. ^_^
The thing is, I'm an American, but the characters are British, so... I
might end up using Americanisms in the narrative ("Harry picked out a new
pair of pants"), but have the characters speak the Queen's English ("'Oh,
great,' said Harry. 'I've torn my new trousers!'"). I dunno... If
anything, I'll probably use British terms when I know them to keep things
less confusing.

> Oh, and "I could murder a fag" has an ENTIRELY different meaning
> over here!

Indeed!

> "The Marauder's Map!" Harry yelped happily.
> "Guess Dumbledore thought you'd need it next year," Sirius said happily.
> He tapped the map with his wand. "I solemnly swear that I am up to no
good."
> "Mr. Wormtail wonders if there is ever a time when Mr. Padfoot is NOT
> up to no good?"
> "Mr. Moony would like to point out that there are times when Mr. Padfoot
is
> asleep or unconscious."
> - From 'A Harry Situation' by Jelsemium

LOL!! Cute.

Catherine Johnson.

--
fenm at cox dot net

"Well, I can certainly see why we're trying to keep them alive, " said
Malfoy sarcastically. "Who wouldn't want pets that can burn, sting and
bite all at once?.
-_Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire_.

Electric Frog

Apr 28, 2003, 9:51:28 PM4/28/03

"Fish Eye no Miko" <fis...@deadmoon.circus> wrote in message

As long as you remember that "fanny" has two very different meanings ;-)

Cleethorps

Apr 29, 2003, 1:10:00 AM4/29/03
> You can follow most of the LotR peoples back to various British cultural
> stereotypes...

Here's some more:

http://www.great-britons.co.uk/

Pen

Apr 29, 2003, 3:13:21 AM4/29/03
In article <Ujhra.3611$pJ6.2430@fed1read05>, Fish Eye no Miko
<fis...@deadmoon.circus> wrote:

> Hey, all!
>
> Howdy from across the pond. ^_^ I have a question for those of you from
> the UK: What do you call the noon meal? I know there's "lunch" and
> "dinner" and "supper", and some are used for the noon meal, and some for
> the evening meal, and whatnot... I'm wondering which would be proper to
> use. I'm writing an HP fanfic (my first! Yay!), and I want to get my
> expressions correct.
>
> Catherine Johnson, who will also need to remember to use the term
> "trousers" and not "pants". ^_^

For a good bit more insight into the right terms to use, have a look at
the SugarQuill Forums (http://www.sugarquill.net/forum/index.php),
choose the Pensieve, and look for the All Things British thread. It
is *very* long, and pretty informative.

Pen

Mark Harris

Apr 29, 2003, 3:49:54 AM4/29/03
On Mon, 28 Apr 2003 18:19:04 -0700, "Fish Eye no Miko"
<fis...@deadmoon.circus> wrote:

[snip]

> I dunno... If
>anything, I'll probably use British terms when I know them to keep things
>less confusing.

One thing I've seen trip people up is the difference between the
ground floor of a building and the first floor. As I understand it,
Americans refer to the ist level of a building as the "first floor"
whereas the civilised world (i.e. all the bits on the map that used to
be pink, doncher know ;-) refers to the floor at the top of the first
flight of stairs as the first floor, and quite properly calls the
floor on the ground the "ground floor". Thus, having a character throw
himself head first out of a first floor window (which I have read in
both fanfic and professionally published work) can have rather serious
consequences.

Cheers

mark
--
"Someone's been mean to you! Tell me who it is, so I can punch him tastefully."
- Ralph Bakshi's Mighty Mouse

Flora

Apr 29, 2003, 4:26:37 AM4/29/03
Fish Eye no Miko wrote:

>>>Howdy from across the pond. ^_^ I have a question for those
>>>of you from the UK: What do you call the noon meal? I know
>>>there's "lunch" and "dinner" and "supper", and some are used for
>>>the noon meal, and some for the evening meal, and whatnot...
>>>I'm wondering which would be proper to use. I'm writing an
>>>HP fanfic (my first! Yay!), and I want to get my expressions
>>>correct.

>>>"trousers" and not "pants". ^_^

>>Not to mention that it's football, not soccer, Jam, not Jelly, Jelly not
>>Jello, Chips, not fries, Rubbish, not Trash or Garbage...
>

> Lorry (truck), lift (elevator), jumper (sweater, I think), torch
> (flashlight)... Yeah, I know some of the differences. ^_^
> The thing is, I'm an American, but the characters are British, so... I
> might end up using Americanisms in the narrative ("Harry picked out a new
> pair of pants"), but have the characters speak the Queen's English ("'Oh,
> great,' said Harry. 'I've torn my new trousers!'"). I dunno... If
> anything, I'll probably use British terms when I know them to keep things
> less confusing.
>

>>Oh, and "I could murder a fag" has an ENTIRELY different meaning
>>over here!

Shop not store
Cupboard not closet
Darling not Honey (term of spousal affection)
Milk not cream (for your coffee or tea)
Trainers not Sneakers
Car Park not parking lot
Arse not ass and especially not fanny
Got not gotten (biggest giveaway ever)
Also any cultural shorthand expression which comes expressly from
american culture.

Unknown

Apr 29, 2003, 5:12:22 AM4/29/03
"Mark Townsend" <mark.to...@ntlworld.com> thought (s)he was

saying something useful when (s)he said:

>"Fish Eye no Miko" <fis...@deadmoon.circus> wrote in message
>> Hey, all!
>>
>> Howdy from across the pond. ^_^ I have a question for those of you from
>> the UK: What do you call the noon meal? I know there's "lunch" and
>> "dinner" and "supper", and some are used for the noon meal, and some for
>> the evening meal, and whatnot... I'm wondering which would be proper to
>> use. I'm writing an HP fanfic (my first! Yay!), and I want to get my
>> expressions correct.
>
>We British are so famed for our bland food, we feel the need to pep up our
>meals by having LOTS of them all through the day. There's Breakfast,
>Elevenses, Lunch/Dinner (Interchangable where I come from), afternoon Tea,
>Tea (Or Tea-Time), Supper.

I wanted to leave a hobbit comment here; but I see a lot of other
people already did - so I shall refrain from that. But - how talll are
people in the UK? And do you have hairy feet?

Matt

Apr 28, 2003, 6:13:46 PM4/28/03
Mark Townsend wrote:

> Oh, and "I could murder a fag" has an ENTIRELY different meaning over
> here!

What does it mean over there?

Rachel

Apr 29, 2003, 12:37:21 PM4/29/03

"Matt" <ma...@hogwarts-library.net> wrote in message

> Mark Townsend wrote:
> >
> > Oh, and "I could murder a fag" has an ENTIRELY different meaning over
> > here!
>
> What does it mean over there?
>
> --
> Matt

Well, a fag is a cigarette, so (now I'm guessing here) that it could mean
putting out a cigarette.

Rachel

Andy Platt

Apr 29, 2003, 12:39:38 PM4/29/03
"Matt" <ma...@hogwarts-library.net> wrote in message
> Mark Townsend wrote:
> >
> > Oh, and "I could murder a fag" has an ENTIRELY different meaning over
> > here!
>
> What does it mean over there?

A fag is a cigarette. It's also used as both a noun and a verb in British
public (which, of course, are private!) schools to mean someone in a lower
year who does your chores for you. I think that most schools have probably
clamped down on it but it probably still exists in places.

Andy.

--
I'm not really here - it's just your warped imagination.

Andy Platt

Apr 29, 2003, 12:42:09 PM4/29/03
"Rachel" <ms...@home.nl> wrote in message

In this instance murder means a strong desire or need - e.g. "I could really
do with a cigarette". Two slang words for the price of one!

Mark Townsend

Apr 29, 2003, 1:04:44 PM4/29/03
<LatH123> wrote in message news:yUGuPkJkmW5coR...@4ax.com...

> >We British are so famed for our bland food, we feel the need to pep up
our
> >meals by having LOTS of them all through the day. There's Breakfast,
> >Elevenses, Lunch/Dinner (Interchangable where I come from), afternoon
Tea,
> >Tea (Or Tea-Time), Supper.
> >

> I wanted to leave a hobbit comment here; but I see a lot of other
> people already did - so I shall refrain from that. But - how talll are
> people in the UK? And do you have hairy feet?

Well, 5'8" is a fairly average height over here... But then I'm 6'1" and my
father's 6'5" so I'm not one to talk.

As for hair... Ummm... How to be delicate about this... Hobbit isn't a good
model for a lot of us, Hair-wise... Wookie would be better.

John VanSickle

Apr 29, 2003, 1:09:44 PM4/29/03
Mark Townsend wrote:

> Not to mention that it's football, not soccer, Jam, not Jelly, Jelly
> not Jello, Chips, not fries, Rubbish, not Trash or Garbage...

And over here, it's an eraser, not a rubber.

Regards,
John

Dragon Friend

Apr 29, 2003, 1:14:09 PM4/29/03
> Mark Townsend wrote:
>>
>> Oh, and "I could murder a fag" has an ENTIRELY different meaning over
>> here!
>
> What does it mean over there?

It means you could murder a cigarette :-)

Dragon Friend

Apr 29, 2003, 1:19:50 PM4/29/03
"Rachel" <ms...@home.nl> wrote in message

No not quite, it means you are dying for a cigarette, but you were close
just the wrong end of the smoking experience ;-)

Grand Poobah

Apr 29, 2003, 2:31:18 PM4/29/03
> Not to mention that it's football, not soccer, Jam, not Jelly, Jelly not
> Jello, Chips, not fries, Rubbish, not Trash or Garbage...
>
> Oh, and "I could murder a fag" has an ENTIRELY different meaning over
here!

> Mark

Also, over here (UK) bum means your, er, backside, whilst a tramp is a
homeless person, kind of, that's not particularly PC - no offence intended
to anyone. I think in the US the equivalent of tramp is bum or wino, so,
you know, don't get them confused.

GP

Electric Frog

Apr 29, 2003, 4:09:47 PM4/29/03

"Mark Harris" <ne...@tracs.co.nz> wrote in message

> On Mon, 28 Apr 2003 18:19:04 -0700, "Fish Eye no Miko"
> <fis...@deadmoon.circus> wrote:
>
> [snip]
> > I dunno... If
> >anything, I'll probably use British terms when I know them to keep things
> >less confusing.
>
> One thing I've seen trip people up is the difference between the
> ground floor of a building and the first floor. As I understand it,
> Americans refer to the ist level of a building as the "first floor"
> whereas the civilised world (i.e. all the bits on the map that used to
> be pink, doncher know ;-) refers to the floor at the top of the first
> flight of stairs as the first floor, and quite properly calls the
> floor on the ground the "ground floor". Thus, having a character throw
> himself head first out of a first floor window (which I have read in
> both fanfic and professionally published work) can have rather serious
> consequences.

So does German except the ground floor is the "Earth Floor" and the basement
is the "Under Earth Floor"

Quentin Stephens

Apr 29, 2003, 4:33:23 PM4/29/03
"Fish Eye no Miko" <fis...@deadmoon.circus> wrote in

> Howdy from across the pond. ^_^ I have a question for those of
> you from the UK: What do you call the noon meal? I know
> there's "lunch" and "dinner" and "supper", and some are used
> for the noon meal, and some for the evening meal, and whatnot...
> I'm wondering which would be proper to use. I'm writing an HP
> fanfic (my first! Yay!), and I want to get my expressions
> correct.

Well, we have Breakfast in the early morning, which varies between
little more than a cup of tea or coffee to a full English breakfast
of eggs, sausage, bacon, mushrooms... depending upon how much
physical labour the eater is going to do. A late morning snack (tea
and sandwich) is Elevenses. Lunch is the main midday meal (well,
between 12:00 and 14:00). Afternoon Tea (teatime) is 16:00 or 17:00
and varies from a cup of tea to the full monty of cake, scones,
clotted cream, the latter usually on a Sunday or when guests are
visiting. Supper is an evening meal; Dinner is a formal evening
meal. I'll go and have supper in a pub, but I'll sit down to dinner
with my family. And the Midnight Snack is, well, you get the
picture.

Sirius Kase

Apr 29, 2003, 6:16:48 PM4/29/03
In article <290420030813211298%p...@obvious.pensnest.co.uk>, Pen

PBS is showing something called "Manor House" this week, they get
people to live and work in a big ole house somewhere in England and
live like it is Edwardian times. They covered dinner last night, the
servants eat dinner at noon and the family eats dinner at night.
Dinner is the big meal of the day.

Interesting show, they show it in three two hour episodes on Mon Tues,
Wed, night and then they will show all six hours straight this weekend.

sirius kase

Electric Frog

Apr 29, 2003, 6:22:26 PM4/29/03

"Sirius Kase" <siriu...@earthlink.net> wrote in message

> In article <290420030813211298%p...@obvious.pensnest.co.uk>, Pen
>

> PBS is showing something called "Manor House" this week, they get
> people to live and work in a big ole house somewhere in England and
> live like it is Edwardian times. They covered dinner last night, the
> servants eat dinner at noon and the family eats dinner at night.
> Dinner is the big meal of the day.

Scotland actually ;-)

Sirius Kase

Apr 29, 2003, 6:24:12 PM4/29/03
I'm not sure who wrote:

> >We British are so famed for our bland food, we feel the need to pep up our
> >meals by having LOTS of them all through the day. There's Breakfast,
> >Elevenses, Lunch/Dinner (Interchangable where I come from), afternoon Tea,
> >Tea (Or Tea-Time), Supper.

What this? No brunch! Americans would starve to death without brunch.

sirius kase

Richard Eney

Apr 29, 2003, 7:04:10 PM4/29/03
In article <290420031826073581%siriu...@earthlink.net>,

Only on weekends.

In the UK that's "elevenses", the meal between breakfast and lunch.

=Tamar

Tennant Stuart

Apr 29, 2003, 12:06:35 PM4/29/03
In article <b8k8ai$r4$1...@newsg2.svr.pol.co.uk>, "Dragon Friend"
<dragonNO...@hotmail.com> wrote:

> "Fish Eye no Miko" <fis...@deadmoon.circus> wrote in message

>> Hey, all!

Hey, Catherine!

>> Howdy from across the pond. ^_^ I have a question for those of you
>> from the UK: What do you call the noon meal? I know there's
>> "lunch" and "dinner" and "supper", and some are used for the noon
>> meal, and some for the evening meal, and whatnot... I'm wondering
>> which would be proper to use. I'm writing an HP fanfic (my first!
>> Yay!), and I want to get my expressions correct.

>> Catherine Johnson, who will also need to remember to use the term
>> "trousers" and not "pants". ^_^

Ah yes, the smart American businessman takes off his jacket, to sit
resplendent in his vest, pants, and suspenders - looking like a cross
between Homer Simpson slobbing in front of the TV and a sexual deviant.

> Hi Catherine, well as a Brit I can tell you the correct form would be:
> noon meal is called lunch, evening meal is called dinner and if you have
> a snack before going to bed it is called supper. However you will
> sometimes hear people call the noon meal 'dinner time' and the evening
> meal 'tea time', this can be an area thing but it can also be a class
> thing. My family are upper working class and sometimes they call the
> evening meal tea time and noon meal dinner time.

For us it's only tea-time on Sundays since we've had a big lunch, with
as many courses as an evening dinner. Of course, that's different from
afternoon tea, where one might eat cake or biscuits. Similarly, there's
morning coffee with biscuits, otherwise known as elevenses; and not to
be confused with brunch, which is a proper meal. These days supper is
more of a rarity, often supplanted by midnight munchies.

From reading fanfics, the worst mistake American authors make is to have
their two lovers sitting outside in the evening to a chorus of crickets.

If Catherine likes, I'd be happy to Britpick her betaed fiction for her,
as long as it's not <ick> R/Hr </ick>...

Tennant

--
____ ____ _ _ _ _ __ _ _ ____
(_ _)( ___)( \( )( \( ) /__\ ( \( )(_ _) Greetings to family

Lauren

Apr 29, 2003, 5:15:15 PM4/29/03
> visiting. Supper is an evening meal; Dinner is a formal evening
> meal. I'll go and have supper in a pub, but I'll sit down to dinner
> with my family. And the Midnight Snack is, well, you get the
> picture.

Or dinner is the evening meal and supper is a meal after the theatre.

The mid day meal is always lunch - even though lunch at school is School
Dinners !!

Lauren

Fish Eye no Miko

Apr 29, 2003, 8:32:49 PM4/29/03
"Mark Harris" <ne...@tracs.co.nz> wrote in message

> "Fish Eye no Miko" <fis...@deadmoon.circus> wrote:
>
> >I dunno... If anything, I'll probably use British terms when
> >I know them to keep things less confusing.
>
> One thing I've seen trip people up is the difference between the
> ground floor of a building and the first floor. As I understand it,
> Americans refer to the ist level of a building as the "first floor"
> whereas the civilised world (i.e. all the bits on the map that used
> to be pink, doncher know ;-) refers to the floor at the top of the
> first flight of stairs as the first floor, and quite properly calls the
> floor on the ground the "ground floor".

Ah, but what if you have floors under the ground? At the hospital I go to,
the 1st floor is actually underground (with a basement under that), and the
ground floor is the 2nd floor. It's confusing for people who visit the
hospital the first time, esp when some elevators refer to the 2nd (ground)
floor as the 2nd floor, and other call it "Lobby".
AAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!

> Thus, having a character throw himself head first out of a first floor
> window (which I have read in both fanfic and professionally published
> work) can have rather serious consequences.

I can imagine! O_O
Good tip, thanks!

Catherine Johnson. Though I doubt my story will involve any
defenestration. ^_^

--
fenm at cox dot net
"Well, I can certainly see why we're trying to keep them alive," said
Malfoy sarcastically. "Who wouldn't want pets that can burn, sting and
bite all at once?

Trond Michelsen

Apr 29, 2003, 8:32:31 PM4/29/03
ne...@tracs.co.nz (Mark Harris) wrote in news:3eae2d45.4757619
@news.paradise.net.nz:

> One thing I've seen trip people up is the difference between the
> ground floor of a building and the first floor. As I understand it,
> Americans refer to the ist level of a building as the "first floor"
> whereas the civilised world (i.e. all the bits on the map that used to
> be pink, doncher know ;-) refers to the floor at the top of the first
> flight of stairs as the first floor, and quite properly calls the
> floor on the ground the "ground floor".

OY!

We refer to the floor at ground level as 1st floor in Norway as well.

--
Trond Michelsen

Fish Eye no Miko

Apr 29, 2003, 8:48:52 PM4/29/03
"Flora" <fl...@fawltyflowers.co.uk> wrote in message

> Shop not store

Ah, good one.

> Cupboard not closet

So, does that mean in Britain, gay people are said to "come out of the
cupboard"? ^_^

> Darling not Honey (term of spousal affection)

Interesting. How about "you"? (this is a term of affection in Japan.
Seriously. "Anata!")
^_^

> Milk not cream (for your coffee or tea)

Ah, ok.

> Trainers not Sneakers

I doubt I'll deal much with the characters' footwear, but you never know.
^_^

> Car Park not parking lot

Oh, yes, I've heard this, Of course, most of this story will take place at
Hogwarts, which doesn't have either. ^_^

> Arse not ass

That I'll remember--I love "arse".. ^_^ Er, the spelling I mean!!
And I'm really not sure that'll be an issue, anyway--I'm planning on this
story being PG, *maybe* PG-13, so I doubt there'll be much swearing. And
even though Malfoy said the word "arse" in the first movie (which I see was
given a PG rating in the UK), that would be a word I would use sparingly,
if at all.
Though now that I think of it... ^_^

> and especially not fanny

Definitely not! I'm not written porn! (this time...)

> Got not gotten (biggest giveaway ever)

Oh, that's interesting... I wouldn't have known this.

> Also any cultural shorthand expression which comes expressly
> from american culture.

Of course. I'm also trying to keep in mind that this story, set during the
5th year, is suppose to take place in the mid 90's (even though Rowling
herself complicated the issue with the Playstation reference, when I think
the PS wasn't around in the early 90's (I'm not a gamer, so I'm not sure).
Actually, since this is the magical world, I don't think I'll have many
references to Muggle culture, period. ^_^

Catherine Johnson.

--
fenm at cox dot net

Suspect: "Do you know how much one of those cost?"
Horatio Cain: "Yeah, half as much as two of them."
-_C.S.I.: Miami_.

Fish Eye no Miko

Apr 29, 2003, 8:51:06 PM4/29/03
"John VanSickle" <evilsna...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

That's right!
Though they don't use rubbers at Hogwarts.
<giggles>
Sorry.

Catherine Johnson.
--
fenm at cox dot net

"Most of my joy comes from the fact that _Buffy_ is ending before it gets
*really* bad."
-Harley, Boy Meets Boy, http://boymeetsboy.keenspace.com/

Fish Eye no Miko

Apr 29, 2003, 8:53:25 PM4/29/03
"Grand Poobah" <do...@rainbowsparkle.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in message

> Also, over here (UK) bum means your, er, backside,

Oh, right.
And "Mum" is the woman who raised you, not just a flower. ^_^

> whilst a tramp is a homeless person, kind of, that's not particularly
> PC - no offence intended to anyone. I think in the US the equivalent
> of tramp is bum or wino, so, you know, don't get them confused.

We do occasionally use "tramp" for the same thing, but more often it
appears to refer to a loose person (usually a woman).

Catherine Johnson.
--
fenm at cox dot net

"The time when it all ends is near. Make good use of the time you have
left."
-Legato Bluesummers, _Trigun_.

Mark Harris

Apr 29, 2003, 10:13:45 PM4/29/03
On Mon, 28 Apr 2003 23:13:46 +0100, "Matt" <ma...@hogwarts-library.net>
wrote:

>Mark Townsend wrote:
>>
>> Oh, and "I could murder a fag" has an ENTIRELY different meaning over
>> here!
>
>What does it mean over there?

In the UK? "I'd very much like to smoke a cigarette now, please"

cheers

Mark Harris

Apr 29, 2003, 10:15:33 PM4/29/03
On Tue, 29 Apr 2003 15:09:47 -0500, "Electric Frog"
<bounced...@hotmail.com> wrote:

>So does German except the ground floor is the "Earth Floor" and the basement
>is the "Under Earth Floor"

Very literal, the Germans. (Of course, they weren't pink on the lod
maps, so there you go)

;-)

Mark Harris

Apr 29, 2003, 10:17:51 PM4/29/03
On Tue, 29 Apr 2003 17:32:49 -0700, "Fish Eye no Miko"
<fis...@deadmoon.circus> wrote:

>Ah, but what if you have floors under the ground?

Then we call them basements, sub-basements and underground floors.
<looks sideways at the Fish to see if it's really one of the Evil
Sining Bass(tm)>

>At the hospital I go to,
>the 1st floor is actually underground (with a basement under that), and the
>ground floor is the 2nd floor. It's confusing for people who visit the
>hospital the first time, esp when some elevators refer to the 2nd (ground)
>floor as the 2nd floor, and other call it "Lobby".
>AAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!

Somehow, I don't see this as the elevator's fault ;-)

Flora

Apr 30, 2003, 7:05:51 AM4/30/03
Fish Eye no Miko wrote:

>>Cupboard not closet
>

> So, does that mean in Britain, gay people are said to "come out of the
> cupboard"? ^_^

LOL
you are either 'out' or 'not out'!

>>Darling not Honey (term of spousal affection)
>

> Interesting. How about "you"? (this is a term of affection in Japan.
> Seriously. "Anata!")

Use of the intimate forms 'thou' and 'thine' is obsolete, like 'gotten'
(see below)

>>Got not gotten (biggest giveaway ever)
>

> Oh, that's interesting... I wouldn't have known this.

Its a major gripe for me ;-)
I'd love to read a fanfic that doesn't have Brits saying 'gotten' *argh*!!!
Actually, I was taught in school (60's) to avoid using the word *got* in
speech and writing as being 'ugly'. Its interesting to note that Godric
Gryffindor, Helga Hufflepuff et al, back in 1093 or so, would probably
have used both thou and gotten in their speech, though.

A few more

Fridge not icebox
Pavement not sidewalk
Staff not faculty
University not college

Lauren

Apr 30, 2003, 7:58:14 AM4/30/03
> Fridge not icebox
> Pavement not sidewalk
> Staff not faculty
> University not college

My favourites :-

1914-18, not 1917-18
1939-45, not 1941-45 !!!

Lauren

Flora

Apr 30, 2003, 8:03:00 AM4/30/03

LOL!!!

Andy Platt

Apr 30, 2003, 8:02:09 AM4/30/03
"Flora" <fl...@fawltyflowers.co.uk> wrote:

> Pavement not sidewalk

Of course pavement is used in the US to refer to the road surface. Don't do
as a couple of my friends did and ignore signs that say "Pavement ending in
400 yds" (thinking it meant the sidewalk) or you may cause more damage to
your suspension than you intended!

> Staff not faculty
> University not college

I think you mean "University not school" since college would be totally
appropriate in many contexts - my family certainly referred to me going away
to college when I went off to Uni. But a Brit would never call a university
school, though there could be several schools within the university.

Dragon Friend

Apr 30, 2003, 12:55:02 PM4/30/03
"Tennant Stuart" <ten...@argonet.co.uk> wrote in message

> In article <b8k8ai$r4$1...@newsg2.svr.pol.co.uk>, "Dragon Friend"
> <dragonNO...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>> "Fish Eye no Miko" <fis...@deadmoon.circus> wrote in message
>
>>> Hey, all!
>
> Hey, Catherine!
>

>>> Howdy from across the pond. ^_^ I have a question for those of you
>>> from the UK: What do you call the noon meal? I know there's
>>> "lunch" and "dinner" and "supper", and some are used for the noon
>>> meal, and some for the evening meal, and whatnot... I'm wondering
>>> which would be proper to use. I'm writing an HP fanfic (my first!
>>> Yay!), and I want to get my expressions correct.
>
>>> Catherine Johnson, who will also need to remember to use the term
>>> "trousers" and not "pants". ^_^
>
> Ah yes, the smart American businessman takes off his jacket, to sit
> resplendent in his vest, pants, and suspenders - looking like a cross
> between Homer Simpson slobbing in front of the TV and a sexual
> deviant.

ROFL I love that! Thank you so much for that picture ;-) Two nations
divided by a common language ;-)

>> Hi Catherine, well as a Brit I can tell you the correct form would
>> be: noon meal is called lunch, evening meal is called dinner and if
>> you have a snack before going to bed it is called supper. However
>> you will sometimes hear people call the noon meal 'dinner time' and
>> the evening meal 'tea time', this can be an area thing but it can
>> also be a class thing. My family are upper working class and
>> sometimes they call the evening meal tea time and noon meal dinner
>> time.
>
> For us it's only tea-time on Sundays since we've had a big lunch, with
> as many courses as an evening dinner. Of course, that's different from
> afternoon tea, where one might eat cake or biscuits. Similarly,
> there's morning coffee with biscuits, otherwise known as elevenses;
> and not to
> be confused with brunch, which is a proper meal. These days supper is
> more of a rarity, often supplanted by midnight munchies.

Which is followed by the 1am munchies, the 2am munchies.... etc .... :-)
Not to mention if you have been nightclubbing the obligatory drunken kebab
purchase on your way home ;-)

> From reading fanfics, the worst mistake American authors make is to
> have their two lovers sitting outside in the evening to a chorus of
> crickets.

Yes those guys in the white sports kit must get so sick of hitting that ball
around all evening..... (sorry was the nearest I could get) :-)

> If Catherine likes, I'd be happy to Britpick her betaed fiction for
> her, as long as it's not <ick> R/Hr </ick>...

I am not as picky as Tennant so will also be happy to beta your work for you
if you would like a Brit to check it :-)

John VanSickle

Apr 30, 2003, 1:19:25 PM4/30/03
Fish Eye no Miko wrote:

> Catherine Johnson. Though I doubt my story will involve any
> defenestration. ^_^

Ginny meets Dudley?

Matt

Apr 29, 2003, 3:31:43 PM4/29/03
Dragon Friend wrote:
> "Rachel" <ms...@home.nl> wrote in message
>> "Matt" <ma...@hogwarts-library.net> wrote in message

>>> What does it mean over there?

BTW, I'm UKian, I /know/ it means really wanting a cigarette, what does it mean
in the US?

--
Matt

Matt

Apr 29, 2003, 3:33:08 PM4/29/03
John VanSickle wrote:
> Mark Townsend wrote:
>>
>> Not to mention that it's football, not soccer, Jam, not Jelly, Jelly
>> not Jello, Chips, not fries, Rubbish, not Trash or Garbage...
>
> And over here, it's an eraser, not a rubber.

That's for removing pencil lines ;-)

'Rubber' is also slang for condom.

Sophie Sensat

Apr 30, 2003, 3:57:53 PM4/30/03
Matt <ma...@hogwarts-library.net> wrote:

> Dragon Friend wrote:
> > "Rachel" <ms...@home.nl> wrote in message
> >> "Matt" <ma...@hogwarts-library.net> wrote in message

> BTW, I'm UKian, I /know/ it means really wanting a cigarette, what does it
> mean in the US?

I could kill a homosexual person.

Sophie

--
scse...@simons-rock.edu "Sorry, but the medications
normally prescribed for treating ADHD do not create 'zombies'.

Kish

Apr 30, 2003, 4:01:30 PM4/30/03
Matt wrote:
> Dragon Friend wrote:
>
>>"Rachel" <ms...@home.nl> wrote in message
>>
>>>"Matt" <ma...@hogwarts-library.net> wrote in message

> BTW, I'm UKian, I /know/ it means really wanting a cigarette, what does it mean
> in the US?

It means, "I'm viciously homophobic and want to kill a homosexual person."

Troels Forchhammer

Apr 30, 2003, 4:28:23 PM4/30/03
Matt wrote:

> John VanSickle wrote:
>>
>> And over here, it's an eraser, not a rubber.
>
> That's for removing pencil lines ;-)
> 'Rubber' is also slang for condom.

Which can, of course, also be used to erase the tracks ...

--
Troels Forchhammer
Valid mail is t.forch(a)mail.dk

The opposite of a correct statement is a false statement. But the
opposite of a profound truth may well be another profound truth.
Niels Bohr

Loriba

Apr 30, 2003, 5:10:40 PM4/30/03
In article <na.c0c7f94bea...@argonet.co.uk>,
ten...@argonet.co.uk wibbled thus...

> From reading fanfics, the worst mistake American authors make is to have
> their two lovers sitting outside in the evening to a chorus of crickets.

Depends on exactly where they are. We get a fair few down here when the
weather's right.

--
Loriba

No matter how fast light travels it finds the darkness has always got
there first, and is waiting for it. - (Terry Pratchett, Reaper Man)
HPCode(1.0) - SPS+COS=POA+++GOF++FF= QR
AR+AT+CM=CH++DD+++HB--HM+PO+++TR++

Fish Eye no Miko

Apr 30, 2003, 5:30:34 PM4/30/03
"Tennant Stuart" <ten...@argonet.co.uk> wrote in message

> "Dragon Friend" <dragonNO...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> > "Fish Eye no Miko" <fis...@deadmoon.circus> wrote:
>
> >> Hey, all!
>
> Hey, Catherine!

Hey, Tennant. ^_^

> >> Catherine Johnson, who will also need to remember to use
> >> the term "trousers" and not "pants". ^_^
>
> Ah yes, the smart American businessman takes off his jacket, to sit
> resplendent in his vest, pants, and suspenders - looking like a cross
> between Homer Simpson slobbing in front of the TV and a sexual
> deviant.

O_O
Oh, I need some Brillo* for my brain...
*Brillo is a brand name for scouring pads use for pots and pans.

> For us it's only tea-time on Sundays since we've had a big lunch,
> with as many courses as an evening dinner.

Ok.

> Of course, that's different from afternoon tea, where one might eat
> cake or biscuits.

"Biscuits" being what we Yanks call "cookies". ^_^
What do you call "cookies", btw?

> Similarly, there's morning coffee with biscuits, otherwise known as
> elevenses; and not to be confused with brunch, which is a proper
> meal. These days supper is more of a rarity, often supplanted by
> midnight munchies.

AH! Ok. ^_^

> From reading fanfics, the worst mistake American authors make is
> to have their two lovers sitting outside in the evening to a chorus
> of crickets.

LOL!
"Oh, my darling! I- <WHAM!>
"Er... sorry about that. Can we have our ball(?) back...?"
<do you call it a ball in cricket?>

> If Catherine likes, I'd be happy to Britpick her betaed fiction for

> her as long as it's not <ick> R/Hr </ick>...

Well, I will say that I am unabashedly Hr/R, but this story isn't a
romantic thing at all. If anything, it focuses more on Harry, Draco, and a
new character I hope isn't too Mary Sue-ish...
And I'd love to have you beta my story. Not sure how long it's gonna take
to write it, though... ^_^

Fish Eye no Miko

Apr 30, 2003, 5:33:22 PM4/30/03
"Lauren" <richard.the.t...@dsl.pipex.com> wrote in message

Heh... Well, I doubt I'll have the characters talking about Muggle wars
very much. ^_^

Catherine Johnson. And I know, day/month/year, not month/day/year.

--
fenm at cox dot net

Right now you are reading my .sig quote.

Fish Eye no Miko

Apr 30, 2003, 5:35:49 PM4/30/03
"John VanSickle" <evilsna...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

Why would Ginny dump Dudley out a window? I mean, aside from having good
taste?

Catherine Johnson. "Pu-ma Man, he flies like a moron..."

--
fenm at cox dot net

Matt

Apr 30, 2003, 4:40:09 PM4/30/03
Mark Harris wrote:
> On Tue, 29 Apr 2003 17:32:49 -0700, "Fish Eye no Miko"
> <fis...@deadmoon.circus> wrote:
>

>> Ah, but what if you have floors under the ground?
>
> Then we call them basements, sub-basements and underground floors.
> <looks sideways at the Fish to see if it's really one of the Evil
> Sining Bass(tm)>

Theoretical Building:
UK US
6 7
5 6
4 5
3 4
2 3
1 2
0 1
-1 ?
-2 ?
-3 ?

Someone fill in the rest please!

(and perhaps tell me if the "12a" for the number-13 floor in the US is an urban
myth)

Fish Eye no Miko

Apr 30, 2003, 5:53:17 PM4/30/03

Another UK-US difference I just thought of: In the US, we use a period
after abbreviated titles, like "Mr." and "Dr.". It's my understanding that
you don't do this in the UK, ne?

Catherine Johnson.

--
fenm at cox dot net

Mark Townsend

Apr 30, 2003, 7:46:39 PM4/30/03
> > Of course, that's different from afternoon tea, where one might eat
> > cake or biscuits.
>
> "Biscuits" being what we Yanks call "cookies". ^_^
> What do you call "cookies", btw?

Well, I think we just refer to certain types of biscuit as a cookie. If it's
savoury, though, then it's a cracker.

> > From reading fanfics, the worst mistake American authors make is
> > to have their two lovers sitting outside in the evening to a chorus
> > of crickets.
>
> LOL!
> "Oh, my darling! I- <WHAM!>
> "Er... sorry about that. Can we have our ball(?) back...?"
> <do you call it a ball in cricket?>

Yup, it's a cricket ball. The good old Thwack of Leather on Willow - And
will all the Buffy fans out there please get their minds out of the
gutter!!!

Stumps, ashes, crease, Howzat!!

Mark

--
"The Marauder's Map!" Harry yelped happily.
"Guess Dumbledore thought you'd need it next year," Sirius said happily.
He tapped the map with his wand. "I solemnly swear that I am up to no good."
"Mr. Wormtail wonders if there is ever a time when Mr. Padfoot is NOT
up to no good?"
"Mr. Moony would like to point out that there are times when Mr. Padfoot is
asleep or unconscious."
- From 'A Harry Situation' by Jelsemium

Fish Eye no Miko

Apr 30, 2003, 8:09:58 PM4/30/03

> > > Of course, that's different from afternoon tea, where one
> > > might eat cake or biscuits.
> >
> > "Biscuits" being what we Yanks call "cookies". ^_^
> > What do you call "cookies", btw?
>
> Well, I think we just refer to certain types of biscuit as a cookie.

Oh, ok.

> If it's savoury, though, then it's a cracker.

"Savoury"?

> > > From reading fanfics, the worst mistake American authors make
> > > is to have their two lovers sitting outside in the evening to a
chorus
> > > of crickets.
> >
> > LOL!
> > "Oh, my darling! I- <WHAM!>
> > "Er... sorry about that. Can we have our ball(?) back...?"
> > <do you call it a ball in cricket?>
>
> Yup, it's a cricket ball. The good old Thwack of Leather on Willow
> - And will all the Buffy fans out there please get their minds out of
> the gutter!!!

Heh...
Willow: "Everyone's getting spanked by me..."

> Stumps, ashes, crease, Howzat!!

... Ok.

Catherine Johnson.
--
fenm at cox dot net

"Burn the land, and boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me."
-Theme from _Firefly_.

Fish Eye no Miko

Apr 30, 2003, 8:12:19 PM4/30/03

> "Mark Townsend" <mark.to...@ntlworld.com> wrote:
>
> > Yup, it's a cricket ball. The good old Thwack of Leather
> > on Willow - And will all the Buffy fans out there please get
> > their minds out of the gutter!!!
>
> Heh...
> Willow: "Everyone's getting spanked by me..."

Oops! That should be: Willow: "Everyone's getting spanked *but* me..."
Though my version has problably happened in a fanfic or two. ^_^

Catherine Johnson.
--
fenm at cox dot net

Tennant Stuart

Apr 30, 2003, 7:16:38 PM4/30/03
In article <3eafbb10$1...@vienna7.his.com>,
"Andy Platt" <a...@turnip.his.com> wrote:

> "Flora" <fl...@fawltyflowers.co.uk> wrote:

>> Staff not faculty
>> University not college

> I think you mean "University not school" since college would be totally
> appropriate in many contexts - my family certainly referred to me going
> away to college when I went off to Uni. But a Brit would never call a
> university school, though there could be several schools within the
> university.

And don't forget NOBODY graduates from Hogwarts, they just leave school.

Tennant

--
____ ____ _ _ _ _ __ _ _ ____
(_ _)( ___)( \( )( \( ) /__\ ( \( )(_ _) Greetings to family

Fish Eye no Miko

Apr 30, 2003, 9:38:11 PM4/30/03

> And don't forget NOBODY graduates from Hogwarts, they
> just leave school.

Yes, I've thought of this; having a character talking about "leaving"
Hogwarts before <something else happened>, not saying s/he "graduated".
Is this a Hogwarts thing, or a UK thing?

Catherine Johnson.
--
fenm at cox dot net

"Most of my joy comes from the fact that _Buffy_ is ending before it gets
*really* bad."
-Harley, Boy Meets Boy, http://boymeetsboy.keenspace.com/

Gadget

May 1, 2003, 5:34:23 AM5/1/03
On Mon, 28 Apr 2003, Dragon Friend wrote:

>Hi Catherine, well as a Brit I can tell you the correct form would be:
>noon meal is called lunch, evening meal is called dinner and if you
>have a snack before going to bed it is called supper. However you will
>sometimes hear people call the noon meal 'dinner time' and the evening
>meal 'tea time', this can be an area thing but it can also be a class
>thing. My family are upper working class and sometimes they call the
>evening meal tea time and noon meal dinner time.

Just for more detail than you will possibly need;

Down here in Devon, dairy farmers start the day with a cup of tea around
5.30am before milking the cows, then have a cooked breakfast at 8am.
It's back out to work, stopping for 'lunch' around 11am, usually
consisting of a thermos of tea/coffee and sarnies [packed by their
dutiful wives], then work through 'til 1pm when they go home for
'dinner' [large cooked meal]. Then it's back out 'til 4pm when its time
to head back to the house for 'tea' [tea, bread & jam, cake]. Then it's
back out to milk 'til 7pm, when it's time for 'supper' [large cooked
meal].

Not sure what skinny farmers have though! ;-)

--
Gadget
to email me direct use;

Gadget

May 1, 2003, 5:51:53 AM5/1/03
On Tue, 29 Apr 2003, Fish Eye no Miko wrote:
>> Cupboard not closet
>
>So, does that mean in Britain, gay people are said to "come out of the
>cupboard"?

No, because 'coning out of the closet is an Americanism we have adopted
[not adapted].

Gadget

May 1, 2003, 5:53:53 AM5/1/03
On Tue, 29 Apr 2003, Fish Eye no Miko wrote:
>That I'll remember--I love "arse".. ^_^ Er, the spelling I mean!! And
>I'm really not sure that'll be an issue, anyway--I'm planning on this
>story being PG, *maybe* PG-13, so I doubt there'll be much swearing.
>And even though Malfoy said the word "arse" in the first movie (which I
>see was given a PG rating in the UK), that would be a word I would use
>sparingly,
>if at all.

So 'arse' is considered rude in the US?

I suppose it is at the ruder end of the bottom/backside/bum continuum.

Dragon Friend

May 1, 2003, 6:19:02 AM5/1/03

> "Tennant Stuart" <ten...@argonet.co.uk> wrote in message
>
>> And don't forget NOBODY graduates from Hogwarts, they
>> just leave school.
>
> Yes, I've thought of this; having a character talking about "leaving"
> Hogwarts before <something else happened>, not saying s/he
> "graduated". Is this a Hogwarts thing, or a UK thing?
>
> Catherine Johnson.

It is a UK thing, you do not graduate from school you leave school you
graduate from University :-)

Lauren

May 1, 2003, 7:14:10 AM5/1/03
> It is a UK thing, you do not graduate from school you leave school you
> graduate from University :-)

Sometimes you just leave University.... ;o)

Lauren

Trond Michelsen

May 1, 2003, 7:19:02 AM5/1/03
Gadget <new...@127.0.0.1> wrote in news:babCczKx6Os+EwCR@[127.0.0.1]:

>> That I'll remember--I love "arse".. ^_^ Er, the spelling I mean!! And
>> I'm really not sure that'll be an issue, anyway--I'm planning on this
>> story being PG, *maybe* PG-13, so I doubt there'll be much swearing.

> So 'arse' is considered rude in the US?

Well, I'm not sure how Americans in general feel about it, but the MPAA
(that rates movies) considers anything that's remotely connected with the
body to be rude. Saying 'arse' twice would probably earn you an R-rating.

--
Trond Michelsen

simpson

May 1, 2003, 8:18:24 AM5/1/03
One of the great confusions of all time ... Brits are split into two
factions the posh and the not-so-posh. For the posh we have lunch and
dinner. This never varies always lunch at noon and dinner in the evening ...
but the rest of us have dinner at dinner time which is of course noon and
tea at tea-time which is in the evening. We only have dinner in the evening
if we are entertaining or going 'out' for Dinner. See simple :-)
http://members.lycos.co.uk/suesimpson/

Fish Eye no Miko <fis...@deadmoon.circus> wrote in message

> Hey, all!

> Howdy from across the pond. ^_^ I have a question for those of you from
> the UK: What do you call the noon meal? I know there's "lunch" and
> "dinner" and "supper", and some are used for the noon meal, and some for
> the evening meal, and whatnot... I'm wondering which would be proper to
> use. I'm writing an HP fanfic (my first! Yay!), and I want to get my
> expressions correct.
>

> Catherine Johnson, who will also need to remember to use the term
> "trousers" and not "pants". ^_^

simpson

May 1, 2003, 8:29:02 AM5/1/03

> On Mon, 28 Apr 2003 23:13:46 +0100, "Matt" <ma...@hogwarts-library.net>
> wrote:
>
> >Mark Townsend wrote:
> >>
> >> Oh, and "I could murder a fag" has an ENTIRELY different meaning over
> >> here!
> >
> >What does it mean over there?
> >
> In the UK? "I'd very much like to smoke a cigarette now, please"
>
> cheers
>
> mark
> --
> "Someone's been mean to you! Tell me who it is, so I can punch him
tastefully."
> - Ralph Bakshi's Mighty Mouse

Lol I'm giggling away to myself here ....Love that one Mark but it doesn't
quite have the same ring to it does it? ....and speaking of which I am
three weeks and four days into my latest attempt of giving up smoking and
you lot have just given me a mighty craving .. in fact ... I could murder a
fag!
Sooz.
http://members.lycos.co.uk/suesimpson/

Dragon Friend

May 1, 2003, 8:13:22 AM5/1/03
"Lauren" <richard.the.t...@dsl.pipex.com> wrote in message

True but in Britain if you graduate from anywhere it tends to just be
University and not School or College. As opposed to America where they
graduate from School, College and University :-)

simpson

May 1, 2003, 8:26:13 AM5/1/03
Dragon Friend <dragonNO...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> "Rachel" <ms...@home.nl> wrote in message
> > "Matt" <ma...@hogwarts-library.net> wrote in message

> >> What does it mean over there?
> >>
> >> --
> >> Matt
> >>

> > Well, a fag is a cigarette, so (now I'm guessing here) that it could
> > mean putting out a cigarette.
> >
> > Rachel
>
> No not quite, it means you are dying for a cigarette, but you were close
> just the wrong end of the smoking experience ;-)

> Dragon Friend
> --
> "Humanity... so noble, always willing to sacrifice... the other
> fellow." ~~ Max von Sydow in NEEDFUL THINGS. "...perhaps all the
> dragons of our lives are princesses who are only waiting to see us once
> beautiful and brave..." By Rainer Maria Rilke Check out these websites
> http://www.maxvonsydow.net http://www.maxvonsydow.da.ru

I once called an American friend a 'daft bugger' I can assure you it's a
term of real afection here. He never spoke to me again :-(
Sooz
http://members.lycos.co.uk/suesimpson/

simpson

May 1, 2003, 8:22:47 AM5/1/03
Fish Eye no Miko <fis...@deadmoon.circus> wrote in message

Oh now don't get me started on periods!
Sooz.
http://members.lycos.co.uk/suesimpson/

simpson

May 1, 2003, 8:36:11 AM5/1/03
Lauren <richard.the.t...@dsl.pipex.com> wrote in message

And sometimes you just leave universaty under a great cloud of shame and the
young lady is returned to the convent. The farmer gets to chose whether or
not he wants the sheep back.
Sooz
http://members.lycos.co.uk/suesimpson/

simpson

May 1, 2003, 8:37:59 AM5/1/03

> > visiting. Supper is an evening meal; Dinner is a formal evening
> > meal. I'll go and have supper in a pub, but I'll sit down to dinner
> > with my family. And the Midnight Snack is, well, you get the
> > picture.
>
> Or dinner is the evening meal and supper is a meal after the theatre.
>
> The mid day meal is always lunch - even though lunch at school is School
> Dinners !!
>
> Lauren

Thank you evryone for the funniest thread I've read on this group. It kept
me highly entertained right through my coffee break.
Sooz
http://members.lycos.co.uk/suesimpson/

Greenie

May 1, 2003, 12:06:53 PM5/1/03
>> Ah yes, the smart American businessman takes off his jacket, to sit
>> resplendent in his vest, pants, and suspenders - looking like a cross
>> between Homer Simpson slobbing in front of the TV and a sexual
>> deviant.
>
> O_O
> Oh, I need some Brillo* for my brain...
> *Brillo is a brand name for scouring pads use for pots and pans.

ROFL - this is too good. lol

>> From reading fanfics, the worst mistake American authors make is
>> to have their two lovers sitting outside in the evening to a chorus
>> of crickets.

As long as it's not a chorus of cricketers...

~Greenie

Greenie

May 1, 2003, 12:08:51 PM5/1/03
"Fish Eye no Miko" <fis...@deadmoon.circus> wrote in news:mAZra.6877
$pJ6.1682@fed1read05:

> "Mark Townsend" <mark.to...@ntlworld.com> wrote in message

>> > "Biscuits" being what we Yanks call "cookies". ^_^
>> > What do you call "cookies", btw?
>>
>> Well, I think we just refer to certain types of biscuit as a cookie.
>
> Oh, ok.
>
>> If it's savoury, though, then it's a cracker.
>
> "Savoury"?

Opposite to "sweet" - yikes, that's hard to explain...?

~Greenie

John VanSickle

May 1, 2003, 1:31:44 PM5/1/03
Fish Eye no Miko wrote:

> "John VanSickle" <evilsna...@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>
> > Fish Eye no Miko wrote:
> >
> > > Catherine Johnson. Though I doubt my story will involve any
> > > defenestration. ^_^
> >
> > Ginny meets Dudley?
>
> Why would Ginny dump Dudley out a window? I mean, aside from having
> good taste?

She learns how Dudley treats Harry.

> Catherine Johnson. "Pu-ma Man, he flies like a moron..."

Oh, goodness, another of my MST3K favorites (the flick's already
hysterical as it is). "He has the power to rear-project major
cities!"

Regards,
John

Fish Eye no Miko

May 1, 2003, 2:07:20 PM5/1/03

> "Fish Eye no Miko" <fis...@deadmoon.circus> wrote:

> > "Tennant Stuart" <ten...@argonet.co.uk> wrote:
> >
> >> And don't forget NOBODY graduates from Hogwarts,
> >> they just leave school.
> >
> > Yes, I've thought of this; having a character talking about
> > "leaving" Hogwarts before <something else happened>, not
> > saying s/he "graduated". Is this a Hogwarts thing, or a UK
> > thing?
>

> It is a UK thing, you do not graduate from school you leave
> school you graduate from University :-)

Ah, ok. Thanks. ^_^

Fish Eye no Miko

May 1, 2003, 2:12:11 PM5/1/03
"Trond Michelsen" <trondmm...@crusaders.no> wrote in message

> Gadget <new...@127.0.0.1> wrote:
>
> >> That I'll remember--I love "arse".. ^_^ Er, the spelling I mean!!
> >> And I'm really not sure that'll be an issue, anyway--I'm planning
> >> on this story being PG, *maybe* PG-13, so I doubt there'll be
> >> much swearing.
> >
> > So 'arse' is considered rude in the US?
>
> Well, I'm not sure how Americans in general feel about it, but the
> MPAA (that rates movies) considers anything that's remotely
> connected with the body to be rude. Saying 'arse' twice would probably
> earn you an R-rating.

I don't think so... but yeah, it is considered pretty rude.

Catherine Johnson.
--
fenm at cox dot net

Igenlode Wordsmith

Apr 30, 2003, 5:29:37 PM4/30/03
On 29 Apr 2003 Flora wrote:

> Also any cultural shorthand expression which comes expressly from
> american culture.

'tissues' not 'Kleenex' for example... :-)
--
Igenlode Visit the Ivory Tower (http://curry.250x.com/Tower/)

-I never shot anybody before... -This is one hell of a time to tell me!

Dragon Friend

May 1, 2003, 2:26:14 PM5/1/03

> "Dragon Friend" <dragonNO...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

>>> Yes, I've thought of this; having a character talking about
>>> "leaving" Hogwarts before <something else happened>, not
>>> saying s/he "graduated". Is this a Hogwarts thing, or a UK
>>> thing?
>>
>> It is a UK thing, you do not graduate from school you leave
>> school you graduate from University :-)
>
> Ah, ok. Thanks. ^_^
>
> Catherine Johnson.

Your very welcome :-)

Kish

May 1, 2003, 2:59:26 PM5/1/03
Gadget wrote:
> On Tue, 29 Apr 2003, Fish Eye no Miko wrote:
>
>> That I'll remember--I love "arse".. ^_^ Er, the spelling I mean!!
>> And I'm really not sure that'll be an issue, anyway--I'm planning on
>> this story being PG, *maybe* PG-13, so I doubt there'll be much
>> swearing. And even though Malfoy said the word "arse" in the first
>> movie (which I see was given a PG rating in the UK), that would be a
>> word I would use sparingly,
>> if at all.
>

> So 'arse' is considered rude in the US?

"Arse" is not an American English word at all. The reaction you'd get
if you used it to someone who didn't know any British English would be
along the lines of, "What's that?"

Matt

May 1, 2003, 1:44:49 PM5/1/03

Whatdo the US ratings equate to? We have these ratings in the UK for
videos/DVDs

U = Universal, suitable for everyone
PG = Parental Guidance ("Some scenes may be unsuitable for young children")
(8/9 ish)
12 = You must be 12
15 = You must be 15
18 = You must be 18
R18 = You must be 18, and this material must only be sold from a liscenced sex
shop.

It's the same for the cinema, except there is no R18, and the '12' is a '12A',
which means you can get in if you're younger than 12 if your parent takes you
in _and watches the film with you_.

If you want more info try (*guesses link*) www.bbfc.org

Harry Potter is PG (for fantasy, giant spiders and mild language (git? arse?))

--
Matt

Sirius Kase

May 1, 2003, 4:57:05 PM5/1/03
In article <b8r36i$6bc$1...@news7.svr.pol.co.uk>, Dragon Friend
<dragonNO...@hotmail.com> wrote:

> "Lauren" <richard.the.t...@dsl.pipex.com> wrote in message
> >> It is a UK thing, you do not graduate from school you leave school
> >> you graduate from University :-)
> >
> > Sometimes you just leave University.... ;o)
> >
> > Lauren
>
> True but in Britain if you graduate from anywhere it tends to just be
> University and not School or College. As opposed to America where they
> graduate from School, College and University :-)
>
> Dragon Friend
> --

You left out kindergarten and primary school and summer camp

sirius kase

Matt

May 1, 2003, 4:59:20 PM5/1/03
Igenlode Wordsmith wrote:
> On 29 Apr 2003 Flora wrote:
>
>> Also any cultural shorthand expression which comes expressly from
>> american culture.
>>
> 'tissues' not 'Kleenex' for example... :-)

And (something I've seen a few times when americans have met Harry in fics)
most British people won't know where an Americal has come from by thier accent,
or anything else (OK, we can spot the southern drawl (no offence:-) but I
couldn't tell you if someone's from LA or NY, just like you couldn't tell me if
I'm from Leicester, London, Leeds or Liverpool.[1])

The nearest I could normally get is "American". Canadians seem to take offence
at this ;-)

--
Matt

[1] Answers on a postcard, please.

Sirius Kase

May 1, 2003, 5:02:25 PM5/1/03
In article <3eb04...@corp.newsgroups.com>, Matt
<ma...@hogwarts-library.net> wrote:

> Theoretical Building:
> UK US
> 6 7
> 5 6
> 4 5
> 3 4
> 2 3
> 1 2
> 0 1
> -1 ?
> -2 ?
> -3 ?
>
> Someone fill in the rest please!
>
> (and perhaps tell me if the "12a" for the number-13 floor in the US is an urban
> myth)

b1, b2, b3, etc

never heard of 12a, just a 13

some buildings do not have a 13 button on the elevator. I suppose this
means they don't have a 13th floor or they do or you can get there only
by stair.

usually, lack of a button 13 means that the building is too short to
need one.

sirius kase

Sirius Kase

May 1, 2003, 5:04:52 PM5/1/03
In article <ceZra.42$k63....@newsfep2-gui.server.ntli.net>, Mark
Townsend <mark.to...@ntlworld.com> wrote:

> > > Of course, that's different from afternoon tea, where one might eat
> > > cake or biscuits.
> >
> > "Biscuits" being what we Yanks call "cookies". ^_^
> > What do you call "cookies", btw?
>

> Well, I think we just refer to certain types of biscuit as a cookie. If it's

> savoury, though, then it's a cracker.

Crackers in England explode at Christmas

Dragon Friend

May 1, 2003, 5:03:24 PM5/1/03
"Sirius Kase" <siriu...@earthlink.net> wrote in message

Blimey youlot graduate from everything :-) Do you die or do you graduate
from life ;-) LOL

Dragon Friend [that was a joke before Poppy decides to wade in and claim I
hate Americans again!]

Sirius Kase

May 1, 2003, 5:06:50 PM5/1/03
In article <b8rgqj$aia$01$2...@news.t-online.com>, Greenie
<im_gr...@hotmail.com> wrote:

> > "Savoury"?
>
> Opposite to "sweet" - yikes, that's hard to explain...?

That's bitter around her. I thought savoury meant spicy.

sirius kase

Dragon Friend

May 1, 2003, 5:05:30 PM5/1/03
"Sirius Kase" <siriu...@earthlink.net> wrote in message

Not strictly true as we can also eat crackers with cheese ;-) We just like
to confuse other nations and keep you all on your toes :-)

Dragon Friend

Sirius Kase

May 1, 2003, 7:17:50 PM5/1/03
In article <grdsa.26$NS4.18@fed1read05>, Fish Eye no Miko
<fis...@deadmoon.circus> wrote:

> "Trond Michelsen" <trondmm...@crusaders.no> wrote in message

> > > So 'arse' is considered rude in the US?
> >
> > Well, I'm not sure how Americans in general feel about it, but the
> > MPAA (that rates movies) considers anything that's remotely
> > connected with the body to be rude. Saying 'arse' twice would probably
> > earn you an R-rating.
>
> I don't think so... but yeah, it is considered pretty rude.
>
> Catherine Johnson.

probably not an R maybe a PG-13. Real life American kids use rough
language all the time, it's movie kids that aren't allowed to talk that
way.

Just remember the advice they were giving parents when "Billy Elliot"
came out, just tell the kids that British kids swear more. At least in
movies, they do.

sirius kase

Sirius Kase

May 1, 2003, 7:19:16 PM5/1/03
In article <i8esa.393$zP.75...@newssvr21.news.prodigy.com>, Kish
<Kis...@pacbell.net> wrote:

The problem with "Arse" being in the movie is that Americans will hear
"Ass" which means virtually the same thing, but is apparently ruder.

sirius kase

Fish Eye no Miko

May 1, 2003, 7:22:50 PM5/1/03

> What do the US ratings equate to? We have these ratings in
> the UK for videos/DVDs

Most of our movie and video ratings are the same.

> U = Universal, suitable for everyone

G- General Audiences.

> PG = Parental Guidance ("Some scenes may be unsuitable for young
> children") (8/9 ish)

PG- Parented guidance suggested. Usually ok for people up to 13.

> 12 = You must be 12
> 15 = You must be 15

We just have PG-13- Parents strongly cautioned. Kids under 13 are not
forbidden from these films, but they should have a parent or other adult
supervisor with them

> 18 = You must be 18

R- Restricted. Theoretically, no one under 18 can go to these.
NC-17- This was the rating that was supposed to replace "X"; for "art"
films with strong content (usually sexual-violence is another story).
Sadly, many NC-17 films are also given limited releases, and little to no
advertising.
Unrated- usually only applies to videos. Often a director will edit things
out of a movie to get an R of PG-13 rating, then release an "unrated"
version on video. Though there are also things like foreign films that get
this regardless of content, as well as extras on DVDs. Really, all it means
is that it hasn't been shown to or approved by the MPAA. So it can range
from the extras on an HP DVD to a hardcore sex film or a gory horror film
that's not been shown to the MPAA.
Also, you have things like TV shows that are released to video. I'm not
sure how they're rated. And I know that many anime companies have their
own types of ratings, though most of them are pretty common sensical (if
you see a little sing on the back of the DVD that says "16 and up", I'm
willing to bet you can figure out what it means). I'm not sure about other
foreign shows (like Brit coms and stuff) released here.

> R18 = You must be 18, and this material must only be sold from a
> liscenced sex shop.

This would be the "X". Btw, "X" is the highest rating a film can get, the
whole "XXX" thing is just a way to make a film look more explicit.

> It's the same for the cinema, except there is no R18, and the '12' is a
'12A',
> which means you can get in if you're younger than 12 if your parent takes
you
> in _and watches the film with you_.

That's kinda like PG-13 here.

> If you want more info try (*guesses link*) www.bbfc.org
> Harry Potter is PG (for fantasy, giant spiders and mild language (git?
arse?))

Maybe it's for "bloody hell", which is said by Ron (and "bloody brilliant"
another time). He also says it a few times in CoS. I'm not sure how
"obscene" that would be seen is in Britain.

Catherine Johnson.
--
fenm at cox dot net

Suspect: "Do you know how much one of those cost?"
Horatio Cain: "Yeah, half as much as two of them."
-_C.S.I.: Miami_.

Sirius Kase

May 1, 2003, 7:25:13 PM5/1/03
In article <b8r2gl$cmg84$1...@ID-184747.news.dfncis.de>, simpson
<sooz...@virgin.net> wrote:

> Fish Eye no Miko <fis...@deadmoon.circus> wrote in message
> > Hey, all!
> >
> > Howdy from across the pond. ^_^ I have a question for those of you from
> > the UK: What do you call the noon meal? I know there's "lunch" and
> > "dinner" and "supper", and some are used for the noon meal, and some for
> > the evening meal, and whatnot... I'm wondering which would be proper to
> > use. I'm writing an HP fanfic (my first! Yay!), and I want to get my
> > expressions correct.
> >
> > Catherine Johnson, who will also need to remember to use the term
> > "trousers" and not "pants". ^_^

> One of the great confusions of all time ... Brits are split into two
> factions the posh and the not-so-posh. For the posh we have lunch and
> dinner. This never varies always lunch at noon and dinner in the evening ...
> but the rest of us have dinner at dinner time which is of course noon and
> tea at tea-time which is in the evening. We only have dinner in the evening
> if we are entertaining or going 'out' for Dinner. See simple :-)
> http://members.lycos.co.uk/suesimpson/

This is because dinner is the big meal of the day. The served class
eats dinner in the evening, the servants are too busy serving, so they
eat their dinner in the middle of the day.

These simple one for one word substitutions aren't going to be your
biggest problem, IMO, it will be Americonisms that don't translate
literally into Briticisms. And a figure of speech that someone from
one part of the country might say wouldn't be right coming from the
mouth of someone from somewhere else. You need to start collecting
various expressions and figure out how to properly insert them in the
story, since it would be an odd person that spoke without any.

sirius kase

KT

May 1, 2003, 7:43:42 PM5/1/03
Mark Townsend wrote:

> > "Oh, my darling! I- <WHAM!>
> > "Er... sorry about that. Can we have our ball(?) back...?"
> > <do you call it a ball in cricket?>
>
> Yup, it's a cricket ball. The good old Thwack of Leather on Willow - And
> will all the Buffy fans out there please get their minds out of the
> gutter!!!

Especially wrt leather, I greatly prefer thinking of the 'Buffy' Willow.
But this being an HP ng, shouldn't we be thinking of the -original- Willow? He
is in the HP movies and was a wizard in training.

H&H Forever,
KT

Trond Michelsen

May 1, 2003, 7:55:55 PM5/1/03
Sirius Kase <siriu...@earthlink.net> wrote in news:010520031919397673%
siriu...@earthlink.net:

> Just remember the advice they were giving parents when "Billy Elliot"
> came out, just tell the kids that British kids swear more. At least in
> movies, they do.

I just saw that the other day, and I must admit I was a bit surprised with
the line "I can show you my fanny if you like". I didn't think the swearing
was that bad though.

Just checked the Norwegian film classification board's webpages. Billy
Elliot got an 11-rating due to the riot scenes. Hmm, MPAA gave it an a R-
rating for "language". There also seems to be an edited version which got
PG-13.

Bah. I think it's probably best if I don't say what my exact thoughts about
MPAA are. So, I'll settle for a quote from Roger Ebert, and call them "Sick
cypto-moralists".

--
Trond Michelsen

Fish Eye no Miko

May 1, 2003, 8:13:41 PM5/1/03
"Sirius Kase" <siriu...@earthlink.net> wrote in message

Well, that's just it; we do see it--"ass" OR "arse" as equally rude. My
friend and I were both pretty surprised that Tom Felton was allowed to say
it in HP&SS. Draco, yes, but the fact that the *actor*, who was 11 or 12
at the time, said it seemed a bit surprising to us.

Catherine Johnson. OTOH, 13 year old Macaulay Culkin used the "f" word in
_The Good Son_.

--
fenm at cox dot net

"Help! I'm being eaten by a quaint folk legend!"
-Lupin, from _Lupin III_.

It is loading more messages.