People I Like: Part 1

Gabriel Gentile

Mar 7, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/7/99
This is the first in what I hope to be a long continuing series in short
essays who's subject is figures who are somehow involved with
anthropomorphic fandom whom I believe are deserving of complimentary
recognition due to overall kindness in personal nature. I felt such a
thing was necessary as lately, it seems every post on the newsgroup has
been of derogatory nature towards one person or group or another, and
while I do no decry such action, as I am well aware that doing such is
within your rights as a member of the newsgroup, I felt it would be
beneficial to the newsgroup as a whole if I, in my own small way, tried
to balance the overall negativity with some comments in a positive
light. It is my sincerest hope that all who read these essays do manage
to glean some positive sensations by doing so.

I have chosen the subject for my first essay to be Mr. Gary Bell. I have
known Bell for approximately 2 years now, and I can honestly say I feel
richer for knowing him. Bell, sometimes known as "WalksFar", is a
regular atendee of Fantasy, Science-Fiction, and Anthropomorphic themed
conventions. He can be recognised as a mustacheoud, plump, bespectacled,
mature gentleman who is fond of wearing wicker cowboy hats and likes to
wear his grey hair in a long ponytail. Bell has talents in the field of
writing, due mainly to a highly developed (some might jokingly say
over-developed) sense of creativity. If you should ever find yourself
having the fortune of talking to Bell, don't be suprised if, within a
few minutes, you feel as though you are talking to a dear friend you
have known for your entire life. Bell posesses an amazing insight of
human nature, which has gained him the asset of keen empathy. Bell is
also a cornucopia of knowledge in many subjects which, though they may
not be world-encompassing, he manages to make interesting. In the two
years I have known Bell, I can honestly state that I do not immediately
recall any instance where I have heard him speak crossly of any
individual, including ones who have had many derisions poured upon them.

In summary, Bell is one of those wonderful people you only meet once in
life who seem to be able to find goodness in anybody and, retroactively,
anyone can make a friend out of. I feel very honored to know this wise,
kind, wonderful man in my otherwise unspectacular life, and it is my
firm belief that he deserves to be subject of much praise and
compliments... whether he likes it or not. :)

Gabriel Gentile
DiscoC...@hotmail.com

ELynne

Mar 13, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/13/99
On Sun, 7 Mar 1999, Gabriel Gentile wrote:
> This is the first in what I hope to be a long continuing series in short
> essays who's subject is figures who are somehow involved with
> anthropomorphic fandom whom I believe are deserving of complimentary
> recognition due to overall kindness in personal nature. I felt such a

I'm looking forward to more... :)

> I have chosen the subject for my first essay to be Mr. Gary Bell. I have
> known Bell for approximately 2 years now, and I can honestly say I feel
> richer for knowing him. Bell, sometimes known as "WalksFar", is a
> regular atendee of Fantasy, Science-Fiction, and Anthropomorphic themed

And newsgroups! :D WalksFar has been an excellent online friend of mine
ever since I first discovered this Internet thingy, though I've only met
him in person once. It's very good to know that others have the same high
opinion of him that I do. :)

> not be world-encompassing, he manages to make interesting. In the two
> years I have known Bell, I can honestly state that I do not immediately
> recall any instance where I have heard him speak crossly of any
> individual, including ones who have had many derisions poured upon them.

<think> <ponder> I can't, either... :)

> In summary, Bell is one of those wonderful people you only meet once in
> life who seem to be able to find goodness in anybody and, retroactively,
> anyone can make a friend out of. I feel very honored to know this wise,
> kind, wonderful man in my otherwise unspectacular life, and it is my
> firm belief that he deserves to be subject of much praise and
> compliments... whether he likes it or not. :)
> Gabriel Gentile

<applause> I hope WalksFar got to read this... and I'm hoping to be able
to see him again sometime. :)

-- Erin, Easily Amused
"Look, a bug!"

WalksFar

Mar 15, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/15/99

>> In summary, Bell is one of those wonderful people you only meet once in
>> life who seem to be able to find goodness in anybody and, retroactively,
>> anyone can make a friend out of. I feel very honored to know this wise,
>> kind, wonderful man in my otherwise unspectacular life, and it is my
>> firm belief that he deserves to be subject of much praise and
>> compliments... whether he likes it or not. :)
>> Gabriel Gentile
>
><applause> I hope WalksFar got to read this... and I'm hoping to be able
>to see him again sometime. :)
>
>-- Erin, Easily Amused
>"Look, a bug!"

WalksFar blushes a deep blue and bows respectfully. "I thank
thee, both of thee. . . ."

WalksFar, taken completely by surprise. . . .