Martin Wagner still MIA?

XIP the kangy

May 13, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/13/99
In article <7hg0oo$i54$1...@crucigera.fysh.org>, nos...@huzzah.net (Roz Gibson)
wrote:

> There was a thread about this sometime last year, and I never heard if the
> question was resolved. It's just an unsolved mystery I'm curious about. When
> last this subject was broached, Martin Wagner (Hepcats), had apparently
> vanished off the face of the earth, leaving his Hepcats run with Antarctic
> Press unfinished and no one (at least on this NG) had any idea what became of
> him. Theories ranged from him having met with foul (fowl?) play, to my own
> opinion that he probably got a job that precluded comics, or (perhaps) a new
> girlfriend that precluded comics. Can this mystery ever be solved???
>
> Also, what happened to Nate Patrin? He used to post here and on Yerf all the
> time, and he seems to have vanished too.
>
> just a curious cat
> RG

Actually I'd also like to know about Matt, as I discovered Hepcats with the
Antarctic release, and was really enjoying it. From his editorials, it
sounded as if he'd sorted out his problems and gotten on with his life, so
the abrupt halt quite surprised me.
--
Xip the kangy
He of the Fair Hair

Roz Gibson

May 14, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/14/99

Thomas K. Dye

May 14, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/14/99

Roz Gibson <nos...@huzzah.net> wrote in article
<7hg0oo$i54$1...@crucigera.fysh.org>...

> There was a thread about this sometime last year, and I never heard if
the
> question was resolved. It's just an unsolved mystery I'm curious about.
When
> last this subject was broached, Martin Wagner (Hepcats), had apparently
> vanished off the face of the earth, leaving his Hepcats run with
Antarctic
> Press unfinished and no one (at least on this NG) had any idea what
became of
> him. Theories ranged from him having met with foul (fowl?) play, to my
own
> opinion that he probably got a job that precluded comics, or (perhaps) a
new
> girlfriend that precluded comics. Can this mystery ever be solved???

He officially quit Hepcats as of January. For info, see:

http://www.comicbookresources.com/comicwire/0199/cw_012199.shtml

and scroll down.

Thomas K. Dye

Dave Huang

May 14, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/14/99
In article <7hg4ls$j81$1...@ash.prod.itd.earthlink.net>,

XIP the kangy <x...@earthlink.net> wrote:
>Actually I'd also like to know about Matt, as I discovered Hepcats with the
>Antarctic release, and was really enjoying it. From his editorials, it
>sounded as if he'd sorted out his problems and gotten on with his life, so
>the abrupt halt quite surprised me.

Well, he decided to quit... See
http://www.comicbookresources.com/comicwire/0199/cw_012199.shtml
--
Name: Dave Huang | Mammal, mammal / their names are called /
INet: kh...@bga.com | they raise a paw / the bat, the cat /

SilverJain

May 14, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/14/99
He also didn't bother to tell anyone at Antarctic Press that he was quitting,
even though they'd spent a decent chunk of change buying advertising in
Previews for the first all-new issue of Hepcats. AP found out when they read
the interview, though I think they'd written Martin off as a lost cause before
then. Not the most professional of behavior on Martin's part, IMHO. There have
been a few threads about this subject on rec.arts.comic.misc, mostly from
people who are quite disgruntled that Martin left them all hanging. One guy
even made noises about some kind of lawsuit (had a subscription with Martin or
something) but thought better of it, since Martin apparently doesn't have any
money.

--Elin

"Remember, Zip, evil spelled backwards is live, and we all want to do that!"
-Mok, "Rock'n'Rule"

Matthew Milam

May 14, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/14/99

SilverJain wrote in message
<19990514040516...@ng-fd1.aol.com>...

>He also didn't bother to tell anyone at Antarctic Press that he was
quitting,
>even though they'd spent a decent chunk of change buying advertising in
>Previews for the first all-new issue of Hepcats. AP found out when they
read
>the interview, though I think they'd written Martin off as a lost cause
before
>then. Not the most professional of behavior on Martin's part, IMHO.

Professionalism is a state of mind, his probably ran out of that.

> There have
>been a few threads about this subject on rec.arts.comic.misc, mostly from
>people who are quite disgruntled that Martin left them all hanging. One guy
>even made noises about some kind of lawsuit (had a subscription with Martin
or
>something) but thought better of it, since Martin apparently doesn't have
any
>money.

You guys seem like the extremely angry type.

Matthew Milam
mmi...@interlync.com

Cathead232

May 14, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/14/99
>Professionalism is a state of mind, his probably ran out of that.

No, professionalism is a mode of operating; it's a creed. There's too many
self-absorbed flakes in comics as is without adding legitimacy to their odd
behavior by passing it off as lowkey type of dementia...

Shon Howell shon...@hotmail.com Burned Fur ^_^

"Remember kids, people who disagree with you aren't just wrong, they're
evil..."

SilverJain

May 14, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/14/99
Matthew Milam write:

>>You guys seem like the extremely angry type.<<

Not me, or anyone "here"- these were the folks on a completely different
newsgroup, one dedicated to "mainstream" comics fandom. And considering Martin
Wagner charged something like a couple hundred bucks for what he termed
"lifetime subscriptions", needless to say, the folks who bought those subs want
the remainder of their money back. I can only imagine how much money Martin
Wagner owes people, since more than one guy over on rec.arts.comics.misc
mentioned the "lifetime subscription" deal.

Richard Chandler - WA Resident

May 14, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/14/99
In article <19990514145115...@ng-fg1.aol.com>, cathe...@aol.com
(Cathead232) writes:
> >Professionalism is a state of mind, his probably ran out of that.
>
> No, professionalism is a mode of operating; it's a creed. There's too
> many self-absorbed flakes in comics as is without adding legitimacy
> to their odd behavior by passing it off as lowkey type of dementia...

Spoken like a true Professional. :-)

There's some speculation that Martin getting Antarctic to reprint Hepcats was
his way of wringing a few more bucks out of the art he had already done, and
that he never intended to do another page.

--
The greatest tragedy is that the same species that achieved space flight,
a cure for polio, and the transistor, is also featured nightly on COPS.

Matthigh

May 15, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/15/99
>>I can only imagine how much money Martin
Wagner owes people, since more than one guy over on rec.arts.comics.misc
mentioned the "lifetime subscription" deal<<

The latest issue of The Comics Journal opens with a page-three editorial from
the outgoing editor-in-chief Tom Spurgeon which proclaims, in big bold letters,
"Martin Wagner Owes Me Fifty Bucks".

Antarctic Press lost literally thousands of dollars in promotion costs (for
books that did not actually exist) and overprinting. When AP did a "CD
soundtrack" for issue #0, we paid him the royalties for the songs, which he
apparently never actually passed along to the artists (who came a-knockin' on
AP's doors months later).

Four or five years ago when he was in a particularly tight crunch for cash, he
sold ad space and comics to assorted "indy-friendly" retailers. Many retailers
never received their goods, and ads were forgotten. I've talked to nearly a
dozen comics retailers who he managed to piss off and sworn off his book
permanently.

He became literally impossible to get ahold of - phone calls went unanswered,
and then disconnected. Even mail went unanswered. Even a registered letter
didn't make it through. He even turned away "free money" - AP had all the
artwork to do a reprint of his Snowblind TPB, but never got the go-ahead. Even
the "reprint issues" required next-to-zero work (new covers and editorials if
he desired), and getting those done was like pulling teeth.

As for me personally, he owes me about twenty bucks for a subscription I paid
for SIX years ago.

I think it's safe to say in the game of life, he's earned an "F" in "Works Well
With Others".

You can assume he has left the world of comics permanently. Stick a fork in
it, it's done.

Best,
- mlh, who used to work with AP a lifetime ago

Roz Gibson

May 15, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/15/99
Well, this has been an extremely informative thread! Thanks for the URL and
related info. While I wasn't a rabid fan, I just found the whole deal of his
"dissappearnce" rather intriguing. According to the article people pointed me
to, Wagner got disgruntled over not reciving the fame and fortune he sought
(to quote Eric Blumrich "You thought you could make a living at this?! Bwahh
hah aha hah!!")

He is now evidently persuing his his fame an' fortune in the film industry.
He "hopes to be directing soon". And we all know how much easier it is to
make it as a famous director than a comic book artist :P

I guess we could look at it this way--if he does become a famous film
director,*then* the people who he owes money could come calling.

Trying to look on the bright side, for a change
RG

furplay

May 15, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/15/99
Roz Gibson wrote:

> I guess we could look at it this way--if he does become a famous film
> director,*then* the people who he owes money could come calling.

F'get that. Imagine all the $$$ to be had going onto the talk-show
circuit.

Today's subject: "You're a big-shot now, but I remember you when you
were a low-life".

Jer-EE! Jer-EE! Jer-EE!

Matthew Milam

May 15, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/15/99

Matthigh wrote in message <19990515004046...@ng-fg1.aol.com>...

>I think it's safe to say in the game of life, he's earned an "F" in "Works
Well
>With Others".

And your grade is an "A"?

Matthew Milam
mmi...@interlync.com

William Haskell

May 15, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/15/99
Matthigh wrote:

> >>I can only imagine how much money Martin
> Wagner owes people, since more than one guy over on rec.arts.comics.misc
> mentioned the "lifetime subscription" deal<<
>
> The latest issue of The Comics Journal opens with a page-three editorial from
> the outgoing editor-in-chief Tom Spurgeon which proclaims, in big bold letters,
> "Martin Wagner Owes Me Fifty Bucks".

I hadn't heard about those "lifetime (whose?) subscriptions," lucky me.
Actually he does owe me some money on one uncompleted subs (several
issues past #12 of the original Double Diamond series) and another subs
to a newsletter that never got past #1. Letters & email got me nowhere,
in fact the only time I got a response was dealing with him _in person_
at SDCC - and since I quit going a couple of years ago & he's probably
done likewise, that's out.

He did send me two issues of the AP series (one of which I already had)
last year, but that was it. I *think* it comes to about $30, which I
could probably have some Good Fun with (Bad Fun takes a bit more).

snip

> As for me personally, he owes me about twenty bucks for a subscription I paid
> for SIX years ago.

Well, there ya go.

> I think it's safe to say in the game of life, he's earned an "F" in "Works Well
> With Others".
>

> You can assume he has left the world of comics permanently. Stick a fork in
> it, it's done.

BTW, Matt, I hate to bring this up, but while we're on the subject...

Do you remember something called Wild Life APA? I had an subscription to
*that* when it was closed to reappear as AP's Wild Life comic - and I
never saw one dime back from that one, either. And I don't expect to.

As I said elsewhere, I don't hate Martin Wagner - and I don't hate you -
but when either of your names shows up I smell something - and I've had
to write off too much money over the years to like it.

tamar_...@my-dejanews.com

May 16, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/16/99
In article <7hj3tq$1vl$1...@crucigera.fysh.org>,

nos...@huzzah.net (Roz Gibson) wrote:
> Well, this has been an extremely informative thread! Thanks for the
URL and
> related info. While I wasn't a rabid fan, I just found the whole deal
of his
> "dissappearnce" rather intriguing. According to the article people
pointed me
> to, Wagner got disgruntled over not reciving the fame and fortune he
sought
> (to quote Eric Blumrich "You thought you could make a living at this?!
Bwahh
> hah aha hah!!")
>
> He is now evidently persuing his his fame an' fortune in the film
industry.
> He "hopes to be directing soon". And we all know how much easier it
is to
> make it as a famous director than a comic book artist :P
>
> I guess we could look at it this way--if he does become a famous film
> director,*then* the people who he owes money could come calling.
>
> Trying to look on the bright side, for a change
> RG

Wow, that is informative. I always had liked his work when I first
discovered it back in 91. It's a shame to hear how he's ultimately
ending up. I fall to see how he felt he wasn't getting the fame that he
wanted. For an independent book, that was black and white, and used
anthropomorphic characters as lead figures, he sure seemed to get a lot
of press, especially with the re-release at AP. Wizard, the guide to
mainstream comics, even did a couple of articles on him. If that wasn't
setting the foundation to fame and having a very successful book I don't
know what is.

Still, I wish he'd had continued. His inking and technical skills were
quite impressive.
--
Ebony Leopard
http://www.yerf.com/howashaw

Matthigh

May 16, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/16/99
>>And your grade is an "A"?<<

Nope. Never claimed it was.

Any reason for the uncalled-for barb other than to make trouble?

fka...@my-dejanews.com

May 16, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/16/99
yo...

I rarely post in response to discussions of this nature, but
in this case, I couldn't resist...

I cincerely hope Martin Wagner has his proctologist standing
by, because he's gonna suffer through a LOT of rectal tears with his
head shoved that far up his butt.

"Hopes to be directing soon"? Yeah, right. I can imagine him
finding a niche with a midwestern schlock-factory like Working Man
Films, but beyond that, he hasn't a snowballs chance in hades.

I can Imagine his resumee- "Artist and writer of a failed comic
book. Virtually unknown within my field, and no proior filmmaking
experience..."

I may be mistaken in regrds to some of his qualifications, but
you can rest assured that you'll never see his name above "key Grip"
and "Best Boy."

-T'ieh Pi Pu Kai!

-blumrich

furplay

May 16, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/16/99
Martin's had the "Richard Pini Syndrome" ever since he got noticed by
Dave "Cerebus" Sim (perhaps even before. By the time I spoke with him,
he sounded as if he had plans to renovate Mt. Olympus and move in), and
had delusions of grandeur of being someone as BIG as Dave is ever since.

First the short-lived romance (not a good sign when the divorce is
already underway by the time the wedding photos can be put out in the
next HC issue), then (unless I'm mistaken) he makes a statement that
most furry artists just "ape Gallacci", then he lets his comic
sloooooowwwwwwwlllllly wither on the proverbial vine ("YO, HO! SLOW THE
PLOT DOWN!" -- Joel & the "bots"), and THEN screws over financially his
publishers by running out on them and stating that he's going to be a
big-shot in directing (at the rate he's going, he'll be fortunate if he
can get a job working on a "Lucky Charms" commercial, IMO).

Ohhhhh yeah, Chuck Darwin's gonna swing the "reality stick" on him like
a shaolin master for pulling all this crap.

Matthew Milam

May 16, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/16/99

Matthigh wrote in message <19990515231248...@ng42.aol.com>...

>>>And your grade is an "A"?<<
>
>Nope. Never claimed it was.
>
>Any reason for the uncalled-for barb other than to make trouble?

Is everything I do to make trouble? or is it the reaction from the person
who misreads it that causes it?

Matthew Milam
mmi...@interlync.com

Matthew Milam

May 16, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/16/99

Cathead232 wrote in message
<19990514145115...@ng-fg1.aol.com>...

>>Professionalism is a state of mind, his probably ran out of that.
>
>No, professionalism is a mode of operating; it's a creed.

It doesn't always last. Your mind can be perfect for oh-so long, and then,
like in this case, one day, you lose the point of it.

>There's too many
>self-absorbed flakes in comics as is without adding legitimacy to their odd
>behavior by passing it off as lowkey type of dementia...

I'm going to sound like an idiot saying this, but I feel more sorry for him
rather than the people who are crying out against him over money. I mean,
this shouldn't be new to any of you who have been here so long. No one is
truely going professional in this fandom, and if that were true, I would
still subscribe to comics in general, especially in this one.

Matthew Milam
mmi...@interlync.com

Michael Pena

May 17, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/17/99
Hello Matt,

That is sad, but now at least I know what happened to him. I feel bad
for all the people that got did not get what they paid for. People
work hard for their money.

It looks like he burned too many bridges to ever return to the comics
field..maybe that is the way he wants it?

It is a bad end for someone who's writing and illustrating ability I
admire.

His Hepcats series really inspired me to push myself harder in
improving my art, especially inking. When I met him at Antarcticon he
was very nice, polite, and gladly answered my probing questions
concerning his techniques. Certainly not in keeping with what I had
heard of him previously. I bascially expected him to run away in
fright when he learned I was a Furry fan and artist.

Sincerely,
Michael Angel Peña(AKA Sparrow...A Rabbit)
Artist-Laughing Rabbit Graphics
http://lonestar.texas.net/~sparrow/sparrow.htm

matt...@aol.comPINKMEAT (Matthigh) wrote:

>>>I can only imagine how much money Martin
>Wagner owes people, since more than one guy over on rec.arts.comics.misc
>mentioned the "lifetime subscription" deal<<
>
>The latest issue of The Comics Journal opens with a page-three editorial from
>the outgoing editor-in-chief Tom Spurgeon which proclaims, in big bold letters,
>"Martin Wagner Owes Me Fifty Bucks".
>

>Antarctic Press lost literally thousands of dollars in promotion costs (for
>books that did not actually exist) and overprinting. When AP did a "CD
>soundtrack" for issue #0, we paid him the royalties for the songs, which he
>apparently never actually passed along to the artists (who came a-knockin' on
>AP's doors months later).
>
>Four or five years ago when he was in a particularly tight crunch for cash, he
>sold ad space and comics to assorted "indy-friendly" retailers. Many retailers
>never received their goods, and ads were forgotten. I've talked to nearly a
>dozen comics retailers who he managed to piss off and sworn off his book
>permanently.
>
>He became literally impossible to get ahold of - phone calls went unanswered,
>and then disconnected. Even mail went unanswered. Even a registered letter
>didn't make it through. He even turned away "free money" - AP had all the
>artwork to do a reprint of his Snowblind TPB, but never got the go-ahead. Even
>the "reprint issues" required next-to-zero work (new covers and editorials if
>he desired), and getting those done was like pulling teeth.
>

>As for me personally, he owes me about twenty bucks for a subscription I paid
>for SIX years ago.
>

>I think it's safe to say in the game of life, he's earned an "F" in "Works Well
>With Others".
>
>You can assume he has left the world of comics permanently. Stick a fork in
>it, it's done.

Roz Gibson

May 17, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/17/99
In article <7hnoak$ol8$1...@eve.enteract.com>, mmi...@interlync.com says...

>I'm going to sound like an idiot saying this, but I feel more sorry for him
>rather than the people who are crying out against him over money. I mean,
>this shouldn't be new to any of you who have been here so long. No one is
>truely going professional in this fandom,

There's plenty of real, live professionals in the fandom. People who work in
animation, computer graphics and comics, as well as illustrators and painters.
Only a couple of people make their living doing furry stuff, but there's lots
of people who do furry stuff who make their living as professional artists in
other fields.

Martin Wagner went to great lengths to distance himself from "furry" (which I
personally think was stupid, since most of his readers were furry fans). He
never called himself a furry artist.

So, he was an un-professional regular mainstream comics artist.

and if that were true, I would
>still subscribe to comics in general, especially in this one.
>
>Matthew Milam
>mmi...@interlync.com

Maybe you could get a 'lifetime subscription'.I heard he's offering those.:)

RG

Matthew Milam

May 17, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/17/99

Roz Gibson wrote in message <7hobjt$fg6$1...@crucigera.fysh.org>...

>There's plenty of real, live professionals in the fandom.

Yes. But they are capable of Mr. Wagner's problems as well. Even the furry
compaines that I ordered comics from in the past, always had some major
crisis that prevented the comic from being sent (No, I will not say who
because the manager's post here).

>People who work in
>animation, computer graphics and comics, as well as illustrators and
painters.
>Only a couple of people make their living doing furry stuff, but there's
lots
>of people who do furry stuff who make their living as professional artists
in
>other fields.

I take that with a grain of salt.

>Martin Wagner went to great lengths to distance himself from "furry" (which
>personally think was stupid, since most of his readers were furry fans).
He
>never called himself a furry artist.

Well, if my memory serves right, that's for a low profile.

>So, he was an un-professional regular mainstream comics artist.

Perhaps, but he made a much better comic than Furrlough, which if I remember
right, ditched it's own Buffalo Wings. :)

>Maybe you could get a 'lifetime subscription'.I heard he's offering
those.:)

I actually don't wanna spend a whole lot on a comic book subscription.
Especially when even outside this fandom, their never a top priority.

Matthew Milam
mmi...@interlync.com

>RG

richard nixon

May 17, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/17/99
In article <7hpcfj$shu$1...@crucigera.fysh.org>,
"Matthew Milam" <mmi...@interlync.com> wrote:

>>There's plenty of real, live professionals in the fandom.
>
>Yes. But they are capable of Mr. Wagner's problems as well. Even the furry
>compaines that I ordered comics from in the past, always had some major
>crisis that prevented the comic from being sent (No, I will not say who
>because the manager's post here).

Yht3u40837qtrdh7rgru8tkb4s3o8th34nga9rhg5n89245tg.

>>People who work in
>>animation, computer graphics and comics, as well as illustrators and
>painters.

G8ygfroe8ytg784tg837rtg84o37tg8437tgreyuiowutg378. Gwd8o857todng78tr578g78ogf8brqwenfv08r73gr7trhdro.
H08dxy4078tdt907843tr784htr874qygr89yr9384dhyr894.

>>Only a couple of people make their living doing furry stuff, but there's
>lots

G8ygfroe8ytg784tg837rtg84o37tg8437tgreyuiowutg378. Gwd8o857todng78tr578g78ogf8brqwenfv08r73gr7trhdro.
Yht3u40837qtrdh7rgru8tkb4s3o8th34nga9rhg5n89245tg.

>>of people who do furry stuff who make their living as professional artists

>>other fields.
>
>I take that with a grain of salt.

H8towhndu8gfhw8f73gf9783g380tjgn80w37tgy03478tyf3. 6t70wh75f3u8tfhmg8uthu4hgf3u854gt5y90t53yt9853t8t.

>>Martin Wagner went to great lengths to distance himself from "furry" (which
>>personally think was stupid, since most of his readers were furry fans).

>>never called himself a furry artist.
>
>Well, if my memory serves right, that's for a low profile.

Yd78trht078ytr78gf8bf8dherya8r9g644d659845jopkrjg. H8towhndu8gfhw8f73gf9783g380tjgn80w37tgy03478tyf3.
Y546fyht9ty70n5hgfrfrwuifhno8etrwhtf5ft53h0df9n87.

>>So, he was an un-professional regular mainstream comics artist.
>
>Perhaps, but he made a much better comic than Furrlough, which if I remember
>right, ditched it's own Buffalo Wings. :)

G8dgfo87rg78r8q374tr4o78ryt475645r6q9dn8fg8f73gt3.

>>Maybe you could get a 'lifetime subscription'.I heard he's offering
>those.:)

E5u67uh7u8754hui4786754h8675uhn675i754jiu65u65h85.

>I actually don't wanna spend a whole lot on a comic book subscription.
>Especially when even outside this fandom, their never a top priority.

G8dgfo87rg78r8q374tr4o78ryt475645r6q9dn8fg8f73gt3. 654hu754hb457u465fg6598793786f378t783tfh783t785yy.

>Matthew Milam
>mmi...@interlync.com

Gwfy8g390dn8ff75ytg837tg7843t43785yht3408593y4444.

--
E5u67uh7u8754hui4786754h8675uhn675i754jiu65u65h85.

richard nixon

May 17, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/17/99
In article <7hnoak$ol8$1...@eve.enteract.com>,
"Matthew Milam" <mmi...@interlync.com> wrote:

[...]

>>No, professionalism is a mode of operating; it's a creed.
>
>It doesn't always last. Your mind can be perfect for oh-so long, and then,
>like in this case, one day, you lose the point of it.

Gwfy8g390dn8ff75ytg837tg7843t43785yht3408593y4444.

>>There's too many
>>self-absorbed flakes in comics as is without adding legitimacy to their odd
>>behavior by passing it off as lowkey type of dementia...
>>

>I'm going to sound like an idiot saying this, but I feel more sorry for him
>rather than the people who are crying out against him over money. I mean,
>this shouldn't be new to any of you who have been here so long. No one is

>truely going professional in this fandom, and if that were true, I would

>still subscribe to comics in general, especially in this one.

B8ogy4tg4gn784ftg845t75w384536534h578364538454937. Y546fyht9ty70n5hgfrfrwuifhno8etrwhtf5ft53h0df9n87.

>Matthew Milam
>mmi...@interlync.com

G8dgfo87rg78r8q374tr4o78ryt475645r6q9dn8fg8f73gt3. B8ogy4tg4gn784ftg845t75w384536534h578364538454937.

--
E5u67uh7u8754hui4786754h8675uhn675i754jiu65u65h85.

richard nixon

May 17, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/17/99
In article <7hno3b$ogf$1...@eve.enteract.com>,
"Matthew Milam" <mmi...@interlync.com> wrote:

[...]

>>Nope. Never claimed it was.
>>
>>Any reason for the uncalled-for barb other than to make trouble?
>
>Is everything I do to make trouble? or is it the reaction from the person
>who misreads it that causes it?

Yd78trht078ytr78gf8bf8dherya8r9g644d659845jopkrjg. G8ygfroe8ytg784tg837rtg84o37tg8437tgreyuiowutg378.
Gwd8o857todng78tr578g78ogf8brqwenfv08r73gr7trhdro.

>Matthew Milam
>mmi...@interlync.com

Bfunifowgbadrwfi3mybw4ynf465wg3783ng8fgrijrwotrw7. G8ygfroe8ytg784tg837rtg84o37tg8437tgreyuiowutg378.

--
E5u67uh7u8754hui4786754h8675uhn675i754jiu65u65h85.

richard nixon

May 17, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/17/99
In article <373F3AB9...@novia.net>,
furplay <fur...@novia.net> wrote:

>First the short-lived romance (not a good sign when the divorce is
>already underway by the time the wedding photos can be put out in the
>next HC issue), then (unless I'm mistaken) he makes a statement that
>most furry artists just "ape Gallacci", then he lets his comic
>sloooooowwwwwwwlllllly wither on the proverbial vine ("YO, HO! SLOW THE
>PLOT DOWN!" -- Joel & the "bots"), and THEN screws over financially his
>publishers by running out on them and stating that he's going to be a
>big-shot in directing (at the rate he's going, he'll be fortunate if he
>can get a job working on a "Lucky Charms" commercial, IMO).

654hu754hb457u465fg6598793786f378t783tfh783t785yy. E5u67uh7u8754hui4786754h8675uhn675i754jiu65u65h85.
Gwfy8g390dn8ff75ytg837tg7843t43785yht3408593y4444.

>Ohhhhh yeah, Chuck Darwin's gonna swing the "reality stick" on him like
>a shaolin master for pulling all this crap.

B8ogy4tg4gn784ftg845t75w384536534h578364538454937. 6t70wh75f3u8tfhmg8uthu4hgf3u854gt5y90t53yt9853t8t.
H08dxy4078tdt907843tr784htr874qygr89yr9384dhyr894.

--
E5u67uh7u8754hui4786754h8675uhn675i754jiu65u65h85.

richard nixon

May 17, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/17/99
In article <7hobjt$fg6$1...@crucigera.fysh.org>,
nos...@huzzah.net (Roz Gibson) wrote:

>>I'm going to sound like an idiot saying this, but I feel more sorry for him
>>rather than the people who are crying out against him over money. I mean,
>>this shouldn't be new to any of you who have been here so long. No one is
>>truely going professional in this fandom,
>

>There's plenty of real, live professionals in the fandom. People who work in

>animation, computer graphics and comics, as well as illustrators and painters.

>Only a couple of people make their living doing furry stuff, but there's lots

>of people who do furry stuff who make their living as professional artists in
>other fields.

G8dgfo87rg78r8q374tr4o78ryt475645r6q9dn8fg8f73gt3. B8ogy4tg4gn784ftg845t75w384536534h578364538454937.
Y546fyht9ty70n5hgfrfrwuifhno8etrwhtf5ft53h0df9n87.

>Martin Wagner went to great lengths to distance himself from "furry" (which I

>personally think was stupid, since most of his readers were furry fans). He

>never called himself a furry artist.

Yd78trht078ytr78gf8bf8dherya8r9g644d659845jopkrjg. H8towhndu8gfhw8f73gf9783g380tjgn80w37tgy03478tyf3.
6t70wh75f3u8tfhmg8uthu4hgf3u854gt5y90t53yt9853t8t.

>So, he was an un-professional regular mainstream comics artist.

Bfunifowgbadrwfi3mybw4ynf465wg3783ng8fgrijrwotrw7. H8towhndu8gfhw8f73gf9783g380tjgn80w37tgy03478tyf3.

> and if that were true, I would

W8osgrqy74qv63grb8o7rg23nmsqmfb2n8r24gr78425r849y. Tgdy7ng9w7ygf78rg78q24grs8br76gnr7845t73n45t43u95.
B8ogy4tg4gn784ftg845t75w384536534h578364538454937.

>>still subscribe to comics in general, especially in this one.
>>

>>Matthew Milam
>>mmi...@interlync.com

>Maybe you could get a 'lifetime subscription'.I heard he's offering those.:)

H08dxy4078tdt907843tr784htr874qygr89yr9384dhyr894. Gwd8o857todng78tr578g78ogf8brqwenfv08r73gr7trhdro.

--
E5u67uh7u8754hui4786754h8675uhn675i754jiu65u65h85.

richard nixon

May 17, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/17/99
In article <7hn8vg$621$1...@nnrp1.deja.com>,
fka...@my-dejanews.com wrote:

> I rarely post in response to discussions of this nature, but
>in this case, I couldn't resist...

Y546fyht9ty70n5hgfrfrwuifhno8etrwhtf5ft53h0df9n87.

> I cincerely hope Martin Wagner has his proctologist standing
>by, because he's gonna suffer through a LOT of rectal tears with his
>head shoved that far up his butt.

G8dgfo87rg78r8q374tr4o78ryt475645r6q9dn8fg8f73gt3. B8ogy4tg4gn784ftg845t75w384536534h578364538454937.
Y546fyht9ty70n5hgfrfrwuifhno8etrwhtf5ft53h0df9n87.

> "Hopes to be directing soon"? Yeah, right. I can imagine him
>finding a niche with a midwestern schlock-factory like Working Man
>Films, but beyond that, he hasn't a snowballs chance in hades.

Yd78trht078ytr78gf8bf8dherya8r9g644d659845jopkrjg. H8towhndu8gfhw8f73gf9783g380tjgn80w37tgy03478tyf3.

> I can Imagine his resumee- "Artist and writer of a failed comic
>book. Virtually unknown within my field, and no proior filmmaking
>experience..."

Gwfy8g390dn8ff75ytg837tg7843t43785yht3408593y4444. G8dgfo87rg78r8q374tr4o78ryt475645r6q9dn8fg8f73gt3.

> I may be mistaken in regrds to some of his qualifications, but
>you can rest assured that you'll never see his name above "key Grip"
>and "Best Boy."

Y546fyht9ty70n5hgfrfrwuifhno8etrwhtf5ft53h0df9n87.

>-T'ieh Pi Pu Kai!

G8dgfo87rg78r8q374tr4o78ryt475645r6q9dn8fg8f73gt3.

>-blumrich

E5u67uh7u8754hui4786754h8675uhn675i754jiu65u65h85.

>---Share what you know. Learn what you don't.---

G8dgfo87rg78r8q374tr4o78ryt475645r6q9dn8fg8f73gt3.

--
E5u67uh7u8754hui4786754h8675uhn675i754jiu65u65h85.

richard nixon

May 17, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/17/99
In article <373f82a7...@news.fysh.org>,
spa...@texas.net (Michael Pena) wrote:

>That is sad, but now at least I know what happened to him. I feel bad
>for all the people that got did not get what they paid for. People
>work hard for their money.

Tgdy7ng9w7ygf78rg78q24grs8br76gnr7845t73n45t43u95. B8ogy4tg4gn784ftg845t75w384536534h578364538454937.

>It looks like he burned too many bridges to ever return to the comics
>field..maybe that is the way he wants it?

H08dxy4078tdt907843tr784htr874qygr89yr9384dhyr894. Bfunifowgbadrwfi3mybw4ynf465wg3783ng8fgrijrwotrw7.
H8towhndu8gfhw8f73gf9783g380tjgn80w37tgy03478tyf3.

>It is a bad end for someone who's writing and illustrating ability I
>admire.

H08dxy4078tdt907843tr784htr874qygr89yr9384dhyr894. Gwd8o857todng78tr578g78ogf8brqwenfv08r73gr7trhdro.
Yht3u40837qtrdh7rgru8tkb4s3o8th34nga9rhg5n89245tg.

>His Hepcats series really inspired me to push myself harder in
>improving my art, especially inking. When I met him at Antarcticon he
>was very nice, polite, and gladly answered my probing questions
>concerning his techniques. Certainly not in keeping with what I had
>heard of him previously. I bascially expected him to run away in
>fright when he learned I was a Furry fan and artist.

B8ogy4tg4gn784ftg845t75w384536534h578364538454937. Y546fyht9ty70n5hgfrfrwuifhno8etrwhtf5ft53h0df9n87.
Gwfy8g390dn8ff75ytg837tg7843t43785yht3408593y4444.

>Sincerely,
>Michael Angel Peña(AKA Sparrow...A Rabbit)
>Artist-Laughing Rabbit Graphics
>http://lonestar.texas.net/~sparrow/sparrow.htm

B8ogy4tg4gn784ftg845t75w384536534h578364538454937. 6t70wh75f3u8tfhmg8uthu4hgf3u854gt5y90t53yt9853t8t.
Yht3u40837qtrdh7rgru8tkb4s3o8th34nga9rhg5n89245tg.

>matt...@aol.comPINKMEAT (Matthigh) wrote:

G8ygfroe8ytg784tg837rtg84o37tg8437tgreyuiowutg378. Bfunifowgbadrwfi3mybw4ynf465wg3783ng8fgrijrwotrw7.

[...]

--
E5u67uh7u8754hui4786754h8675uhn675i754jiu65u65h85.

SilverJain

May 18, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/18/99
For those who are interested, Buffalo Wings was never in Furrlough; it was in
Wild Life, and John Nunnemacher decided to stop working on it on his own.
(Mostly because he was starting to get work in the animation industry.) No one
"ditched" the title. If the creator him/herself decides to stop working on
something, there's very little an editor can do. You can't force people to draw
comics when they have decided not to.

Personally, Martin Wagner doesn't owe me any money at all. I don't really have
any beef with him at all and have always been very polite to him all the times
I have met him.

And as for John Nunnemacher, he recently told me he wants to start drawing
some comics again. Should anything come of it, people will be informed.

--Elin Winkler