Black Sheets (?) and such -- ConFurence

Vinson Mink

Apr 2, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/2/97

Here at 'ConFurence Central' we've heard it that some people are worried
about upcoming issues of something called 'The Black Sheets' or some
such, a zine series that prides itself on digging up obscene dirt --
in this case, supposedly setting its sights on furrydom.

Well, here's what we know...

Zip.

These people, and for that matter many other rumored 'dirt hounds' in zines,
on cable, from tabloids, etc., have not made contact with us. We have not
provided them with any names, descriptions, situations, rumours, history,
art, stories, or backgrounds. We have not spoken to any such group, and
none of them have made themselves known to us, at least not such that it's
gotten back to us on the staff or the con-com.

Now, if folks chose to take information which we make freely available to
the public (e.g., In-Fur-Nation or the Souvenir Books) and run wild with it,
there's not much we can do about it. However, if they chose to make blatantly
libelous or slanderous lies up about our con, our staff, our con-com, or folks
that we know, then we will quite simply start up legal action for libel or
slander.

But then, we'd most likely do that about anybody making up and spreading
blatantly libelous or slanderous lies about our con, our staff, our con-com,
or folks that we know.

'nuff said.

Rod O'Riley
ye ConFurence co-director

comments? Please e-mail me. vin...@netcom.com

Rainshadow

Apr 3, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/3/97

Vinson Mink <vin...@netcom.com> wrote in article
<vinsonE8...@netcom.com>...

> that we know, then we will quite simply start up legal action for libel
or
> slander.
>
> But then, we'd most likely do that about anybody making up and spreading
> blatantly libelous or slanderous lies about our con, our staff, our
con-com,
> or folks that we know.

....'cept for the libelous and slanderous stuff about CF and persons
therein posted on Usenet.....
--
-Dan "Rainshadow" Pankratz
(pank...@darwin.ucsc.edu)

Charter member, Rod the Camel Fanclub

Dwight J. Dutton

Apr 3, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/3/97

In article <vinsonE8...@netcom.com>, vin...@netcom.com says...

>Here at 'ConFurence Central' we've heard it that some people are worried
>about upcoming issues of something called 'The Black Sheets' or some
>such, a zine series that prides itself on digging up obscene dirt --
>in this case, supposedly setting its sights on furrydom.

>Now, if folks chose to take information which we make freely available to

>the public (e.g., In-Fur-Nation or the Souvenir Books) and run wild with it,

>there's not much we can do about it. However, if they chose to make blatantly
>libelous or slanderous lies up about our con, our staff, our con-com, or folks

>that we know, then we will quite simply start up legal action for libel or
>slander.
>
>But then, we'd most likely do that about anybody making up and spreading
>blatantly libelous or slanderous lies about our con, our staff, our con-com,
>or folks that we know.
>

>'nuff said.
>
>Rod O'Riley
>ye ConFurence co-director

Umm, I don't really think anyone would NEED to make up stuff about some of the
more sordid goings-on at CF.

But on the other paw, anyone who would bother to write it down and publish it
needs to get a life and find something a little more productive to do. And I
also find it hard to belive that CF is the worse they can come up with if
they're looking for obscene dirt. Obviously they've never been down to Santa
Monica Blvd....

Not holding my breath waiting for the 'zine to get published
Roz G.

Lisa Jennings

Apr 3, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/3/97

In article <5hvl5d$4vg$1...@frodo.smartlink.net>,

a...@reenactor.net (Dwight J. Dutton) wrote:
> In article <vinsonE8...@netcom.com>, vin...@netcom.com says...
> >Here at 'ConFurence Central' we've heard it that some people are worried
> >about upcoming issues of something called 'The Black Sheets' or some
> >such, a zine series that prides itself on digging up obscene dirt --
> >in this case, supposedly setting its sights on furrydom.

First off, Rodney has this skewed. Black Sheets is _not_ about 'digging
up obscene dirt'. It's about the Underground doing expose's of _itself_
in a humorous light. Ever heard of RE/Search? They did the same thing:
showing the heights and depths of what humanity can do in the realm of
entertainment. In the case of Black Sheets, it's done _by_ a
bi/gay/lesbian/fetishist community and has such themed issues as "Whore
Moan: the Sex Work Issue", "Queer family values", "Sleaze", and the "Dead
Cow" issue. That doesn't sound like a serious rant-sheet to me.

> Umm, I don't really think anyone would NEED to make up stuff about some of the
> more sordid goings-on at CF.

Alas, that happens to be true... but the tales grow larger in the
telling, too.

> But on the other paw, anyone who would bother to write it down and publish it
> needs to get a life and find something a little more productive to do. And I
> also find it hard to belive that CF is the worse they can come up with if
> they're looking for obscene dirt. Obviously they've never been down to Santa
> Monica Blvd....
>
> Not holding my breath waiting for the 'zine to get published
> Roz G.

Hate to blow your bubble, Roz, but the issue is been and published. It's
Issue 10, entitled the "Beastiality and Glamour" issue. I will note that
the website mentions _nothing_ about CF or Furrydom in its list of
'neeto' things in the issue, which includes such tidbits as funny fiction
about an S/M chihauhua and "a tongue-in-cheek essay...on why Miss Piggy
is the patron saint of femme dominants everywhere". Does that sound like
some wacko-Pagan-bashing anti-1st Ammendment kind of magazine? My only
initial complaint (until I see the actual issue) is that the cover is
done by Roberta Gregory. But then, I don't prefer her style or attitude
and that's just my opinion.

In the interests of letting _everyone_ judge for themselves, I direct you
to their website at http://www.queernet.org/BlackBooks/ and have a look.

Talk about inflating things out of proportion. :/

Dwight J. Dutton

Apr 4, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/4/97

In article <3344f598...@news.olywa.net>, sin...@olywa.net says...

>On 3 Apr 1997 07:10:37 GMT, a...@reenactor.net (Dwight J. Dutton)
>wrote:

>>But on the other paw, anyone who would bother to write it down and publish it
>>needs to get a life and find something a little more productive to do.
>:
>And here you are writing about the people that write it down. Where
>does that leave your life?

Hey, I never *claimed* to have a life! My life is empty and boring. Besides,
you're posting on this NG too! Mr. Pot.

The Kettle

R.G.

Elisabeth B. Shaw

Apr 5, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/5/97

In article <334652af...@news.olywa.net>, sin...@olywa.net wrote:
>On 4 Apr 1997 06:57:41 GMT, a...@reenactor.net (Dwight J. Dutton)

>wrote:
>>In article <3344f598...@news.olywa.net>, sin...@olywa.net says...
> it
>>>And here you are writing about the people that write it down. Where
>>>does that leave your life?
>>Hey, I never *claimed* to have a life! My life is empty and boring. Besides,
>
>>you're posting on this NG too! Mr. Pot.
>:
>Well, since you never claimed to have a real life, which also happens
>to be my excuse, you are absolved of all guilt.

Say five Rosaries and call me in the morning.

Sister Aki. :3

Steve Gattuso

Apr 5, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/5/97

Elisabeth B. Shaw wrote:

> >Well, since you never claimed to have a real life, which also happens
> >to be my excuse, you are absolved of all guilt.
>
> Say five Rosaries and call me in the morning.

No no. Say five _Rosales._ Joe Rosales.

> Sister Aki. :3

Uncle Spooge, the mayo monk =};-3

Steve Arlow

Apr 9, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/9/97

In article <8600846...@dejanews.com>,

Lisa Jennings <khr...@inorbit.com> wrote:
> My only
>initial complaint (until I see the actual issue) is that the cover is
>done by Roberta Gregory. But then, I don't prefer her style or attitude
>and that's just my opinion.

I'm not crazy about the "ugly art" style she uses for the "Bitchy
Bitch" stories, but the style she used for _Sheila and the Unicorn_
and for some of her other work is quite different. (For that matter,
I thought her story in Sk*nk was pretty funny, though the art was
awful even when compared to her earliest work.) I haven't seen Black
Sheets yet.

--
"The lust of the goat is the bounty of God" | Steve Arlow -- (810) 473-0920
------+ -- William Blake | 39336 Polo Club Dr. #103