Antarctic Press musings 9/7/93

Richard Chandler

Sep 8, 1993, 7:08:18 PM9/8/93
From: ava...@wings.micro.umn.edu (Timothy Fay)
[Matt High mentions Tank Vixens, formerly known as Lesbian Foxes in
Hovertanks.]

> I assume that this is actually the script that Paul Kidd wrote for
> Lesbian Foxes (before Tom Verre and Phil Morrissey--the creators of
> LFIH--canceled the project) under a different title and with other
> changes to cover the appropriate legal backsides.

You know Tim, when it comes to LFIH, you're almost as bad as Nickolai.
Seriously. The comic never saw the light of day, yet you're always stauchly
defending us all from possible confusion between it and anything remotely
similar.

I wonder, which side of the Cutey Bunny/Snowbunni debate do you come down on?
:-)
:-)
and again :-)

Timothy Fay

Sep 9, 1993, 12:48:23 PM9/9/93
Richard Chandler (claris!qm!Richard_...@ames.arc.nasa.gov) wrote:

>You know Tim, when it comes to LFIH, you're almost as bad as Nickolai.
>Seriously. The comic never saw the light of day, yet you're always stauchly
>defending us all from possible confusion between it and anything remotely
>similar.

LFIH belongs to Tom Verre and Phil Morrissey. Unfortunately, over the
past year and a half several people have tried to claim pieces or all of
it for their own (much to the frustration and annoyance of Tom and Phil,
who got so fed up they finally pulled the plug on the project). If I
seem to be always "staunchly defending us all from possible confusion,"
then I must apologize; I guess I get a little annoyed whenever an artist's
creative rights are abused.

--
Reply to: ava...@wings.micro.umn.edu

"My mental facilities are TWICE what yours are -- you pea brain!"
-Percival McLeach

James Littlejohn

Sep 9, 1993, 1:35:41 PM9/9/93
Cutey Bunny/Snowbunni debate?????

ProLine: jjohn@pro-amber
Internet: jj...@pro-amber.cts.com
UUCP: crash!pro-amber!jjohn

Richard Chandler

Sep 9, 1993, 4:27:32 PM9/9/93
In article <CD3J2...@news2.cis.umn.edu>, ava...@wings.micro.umn.edu
(Timothy Fay) writes:
> LFIH belongs to Tom Verre and Phil Morrissey. Unfortunately, over the
> past year and a half several people have tried to claim pieces or all
> of it for their own (much to the frustration and annoyance of Tom and
> Phil, who got so fed up they finally pulled the plug on the project).
> If I seem to be always "staunchly defending us all from possible
> confusion," then I must apologize; I guess I get a little annoyed
> whenever an artist's creative rights are abused.

Well Tim, being such an expert in copyrights, you must know that there are
two things you can't copyright.

Ideas and Titles.

And with Tom and Phil officially saying "We AREN'T going to do LFIH" that
leaves the field wide open for someone who does.

But like Lia's non-post of an article, Antarctic isn't doing LFIH, they're
doing Tank Vixens. Any similarities (if any) are likely to be noticed only
by people who saw the preliminary work on LFIH. And it's got to be
different, if for no other reason than Verre and Morrissey's LFIH doesn't
actually exist.

One other thing I'd like to make clear though, I'm not saying this to jump on
Phil and Tom, because they are two of my favorite artists, two people I'd
LOVE to have in Gallery. I'd send them a standing invitation if I knew how
to get in touch with them....

By the way folks, Look! A New address!
(And in case UUCP mangles it, it's supposed to be <mau...@claris.com>)

Richard Chandler

Sep 9, 1993, 6:00:35 PM9/9/93
In article <i93...@pro-amber.cts.com>, jj...@pro-amber.cts.com (James
Littlejohn) writes:
> Cutey Bunny/Snowbunni debate?????

Ancient ancient history. Quagmire likes to think that somehow Jeff Wood's
Snowbunni is some kind of rip-off of Cutey Bunny. You see, they both have
these long ears....

Timothy Fay

Sep 9, 1993, 11:15:17 PM9/9/93
Richard Chandler (claris!mau...@ames.arc.nasa.gov) wrote:

>Well Tim, being such an expert in copyrights, you must know that there are
>two things you can't copyright.
>
>Ideas and Titles.
>
>And with Tom and Phil officially saying "We AREN'T going to do LFIH" that
>leaves the field wide open for someone who does.

You know, you're right. Tomorrow I'm going to go out and create a comic
book about these wacky, martial-arts amphibians called "Teenage Mutant
Ninja Turtles"...

..See my point?

>But like Lia's non-post of an article, Antarctic isn't doing LFIH, they're
>doing Tank Vixens. Any similarities (if any) are likely to be noticed only
>by people who saw the preliminary work on LFIH.

We aren't talking about 'similarities' here; the press releases from
Antarctic say that this book is "_formerly_ LFIH," when it clearly is
not. This is a disservice to all of the artists and writers involved.

Kuzunoha

Sep 10, 1993, 1:38:54 AM9/10/93
Admit it, Tim. You just love the controversy. Witness when you were so
fearlessly trying to protect the Brazzlers from the 'tyranny' of Fred.

Quite a few of us were amused at the thought that we needed defense.

In this particular case, you're probably partly right, though, in a madly
distorted sort of way. LFIH started out as a demented joke. Several folk
pushed to have it made into a publication. The core people decided they did
not want to do so, and that is that.

Paul Kidd's script, on the other hand, belongs to Paul Kidd. Neither Tom nor
Phil wrote it. Paul has every right to modify it so as not to impinge on them
in any way at all.

Now, whether that is an accurate description of what happened, or whether
Paul simply took a vague genre' idea and proceeded to bang out another
script (which seems to be Antarctic's claim) is what actually occurred is
quite irrelevant. In either case, Paul is not in violation of copyright.
At the very most he is guilty of parody, which is an accepted art form in
this country.

Most importantly, Tim Fay, champion of justice and small furry creatures
everywhere, need not trouble himself to decry the names of either party
here publicly, and thereby potentially cause harm or bad feelings where
previously there might not have been any.

You're a lot like Fred in some ways, Tim. You like to play 'Let's you and
him fight!'...Then sit back and watch the brew-up.

Of necessity, of course, this is my opinion...

Or it might simply be a parody.

You decide.

Zjonni

Timothy Fay

Sep 10, 1993, 11:44:14 AM9/10/93
Kuzunoha (ro...@netcom.com) wrote:

>...In either case, Paul [Kidd] is not in violation of copyright.

>At the very most he is guilty of parody, which is an accepted art form in
>this country.

Let's make one thing clear: I am not making any allegations about Paul
Kidd or his script. I hope that he and Mike Sagara do well on this
project. But to say that Kidd's script is LFIH, when that book has not
and will not ever be published, is simply not accurate.

When Tom and Phil came up with the idea, it sparked a lot of interest
(I heard pre-orders for LFIH were 2 to 3 times higher than anything that
publisher had previously released). Unfortunately, a lot of people also
smelled money. And the fan market, being what it is, was prepared to
roll right over Tom and Phil in pursuit of what many hoped would be
another "Turtle"-sized fad (turning LFIH, ironically, into the very thing
it was making fun of). Apparently there are some people who think
they can still turn a buck on LFIH, despite the fact that they did not
create nor own any interest in the concept.

>Most importantly, Tim Fay, champion of justice and small furry creatures
>everywhere, need not trouble himself to decry the names of either party
>here publicly, and thereby potentially cause harm or bad feelings where
>previously there might not have been any.

We champions of justice and small furry creatures simply don't like it
when we see artists getting ripped off, whether it is by Big Evil
Corporations (tm) or APA editors and fan publishers. (APA editors and
fan publishers should have more respect for artists and writers, given
their frequent criticizms of the Big Evils. Sadly, that isn't often
the case.) And all my super-powers combined couldn't cause any more
harm or bad feelings than have already resulted from the LFIH mess.

>You're a lot like Fred in some ways, Tim. You like to play 'Let's you and
>him fight!'...Then sit back and watch the brew-up.

Sorry, Zjonni, but I don't have to do anything to make furry fans go for
each other's throats. Just sample a few weeks worth of a.f.f. and you'll
see that for yourself.

Richard Chandler

Sep 10, 1993, 3:51:05 PM9/10/93
ava...@wings.micro.umn.edu (Timothy Fay) sez:

> Richard Chandler sez:
> >Well Tim, being such an expert in copyrights, you must know that there
> >are two things you can't copyright.
> >
> >Ideas and Titles.
> >
> >And with Tom and Phil officially saying "We AREN'T going to do LFIH"
> >that leaves the field wide open for someone who does.
>
> You know, you're right. Tomorrow I'm going to go out and create a
> comic book about these wacky, martial-arts amphibians called "Teenage
> Mutant Ninja Turtles"...
>
> ...See my point?

Yeah, but if you part your hair just right, you'd never notice. :-)

Ideas and Titles are covered by another section of law, Patents and
Trademarks, respectively, and they're much more difficult to get than
copyrights, they usually involve paying lawyers huge sums of money. Now look
carefully at TMNT and you'll see that little TM sign next to the title, which
will make all the difference if you decided to produce your own version of
the concept. You can also trademark character designs, so your amphibians
had better not look like the ones filed by Mirage Studios.

Now if Tom and Phil had managed to TRADEMARK Lesbian Foxes In Hovertanks,
then nobody else could call anything that without getting their cojones sued
off.

But as I pointed out, Antarctic is publishing a book called Tank Vixens, so
the whole point is moot anyway.

In another message:

> Let's make one thing clear: I am not making any allegations about Paul
> Kidd or his script. I hope that he and Mike Sagara do well on this
> project. But to say that Kidd's script is LFIH, when that book has not
> and will not ever be published, is simply not accurate.

Right, we will say that Paul's script is not THAT lesbian foxes in
hovertanks. It's HIS OWN lesbian foxes in hovertanks, now Tank Vixens.

Since LFIH is now no longer unique, you're going to have to make sure you
distinguish which one you're talking about in the future Tim.

Timothy Fay

Sep 10, 1993, 4:40:59 PM9/10/93
Richard Chandler (claris!mau...@ames.arc.nasa.gov) wrote:

>Now if Tom and Phil had managed to TRADEMARK Lesbian Foxes In Hovertanks,
>then nobody else could call anything that without getting their cojones sued
>off.

Just because Tom and Phil did not trademark their work DOES NOT mean that
anyone can steal their idea and claim it as their own. Even if it isn't
illegal it certainly isn't right.

>But as I pointed out, Antarctic is publishing a book called Tank Vixens, so
>the whole point is moot anyway.

It would be moot if the publisher didn't keep claiming that it was "formerly
LFIH."

Fuzzy Fox

Sep 10, 1993, 8:42:55 PM9/10/93
ava...@wings.micro.umn.edu (Timothy Fay) writes:

>>And with Tom and Phil officially saying "We AREN'T going to do LFIH" that
>>leaves the field wide open for someone who does.

>You know, you're right. Tomorrow I'm going to go out and create a comic
>book about these wacky, martial-arts amphibians called "Teenage Mutant
>Ninja Turtles"...

>..See my point?

No.

There is a definite, tangible, published work called "Teenage Mutant
Ninja Turtles." There is NO such work called "Lesbian Foxes in
Hovertanks." If you DO know where there is such a work, I would be
interested in purchasing it.

If, as I believe, there is no such publication as LFIH, then it is quite
impossible for anyone to "rip it off," because it does not exist.

See my point?

--
----- David DeSimone ----- Fuzzy Fox ----- f...@netcom.com ------------
"This life is a test. It is only a test. Had this

Timothy Fay

Sep 10, 1993, 9:55:18 PM9/10/93
Fuzzy Fox (f...@netcom.com) wrote:

>There is a definite, tangible, published work called "Teenage Mutant
>Ninja Turtles." There is NO such work called "Lesbian Foxes in
>Hovertanks."

I'm sure the creators of LFIH will be interested in hearing that.

>If, as I believe, there is no such publication as LFIH, then it is quite
>impossible for anyone to "rip it off," because it does not exist.

You can believe the world is flat, if you like, but that won't make
the planet non-round. Likewise, you cannot justify stealing the work
of a couple of artists just because you think their work doesnt exist.

James Littlejohn

Sep 10, 1993, 7:51:39 PM9/10/93
OK, I see now, T.K.S.

Greywolf

Sep 11, 1993, 12:01:37 AM9/11/93
In article <CD632...@news2.cis.umn.edu>, ava...@wings.micro.umn.edu (Timothy Fay) writes:

> Fuzzy Fox (f...@netcom.com) wrote:
>>Ninja Turtles." There is NO such work called "Lesbian Foxes in
>>Hovertanks."
>
> I'm sure the creators of LFIH will be interested in hearing that.

But ... I thought you keep telling us, time and time again, something to the
effect of:

"LFIH is dead, dead dead!"

I mean, that, like, sort of gives this impression that it's not really
available at this point in time. And you usually follow up by asserting that
it never has and never will be, either.

Now, I certainly have no particular liking for "Lesbian Foxes in Hovertanks".
But, after hearing so many "It's dead I tell you! DEAD! Bwahahahaaa!"
messages, it's kinda unnerving.
--
-Jordan .. PEACO...@cobra.uni.edu "STIPPLE! STIPPLE! STIPPLE!"
.OO. Jordan Greywolf (Jordan Peacock)

Fuzzy Fox

Sep 11, 1993, 3:37:23 PM9/11/93
ava...@wings.micro.umn.edu (Timothy Fay) writes:

>>Turtles." There is NO such work called "Lesbian Foxes in
>>Hovertanks."

>I'm sure the creators of LFIH will be interested in hearing that.

Once again, I will ask, and hopefully you will give a straight,
unambiguous answer. WHERE can I find this publication called "Lesbian
Foxes in Hovertanks"? Who is the publisher? When was it sold? Where
can I buy it?

If there is or was no such publication, THEN IT DOES NOT EXIST. Or
are you using a different definition of 'existance' than I am?

If you are going to continue to claim that this publication exists
outside of a couple of sketchbooks, then PLEASE be nice and inform us
of the location of this work.

>You can believe the world is flat, if you like, but that won't make
>the planet non-round.

You can believe that LFIH exists, but it won't make it exist unless it
actually does. So, where is it?

Timothy Fay

Sep 11, 1993, 4:52:48 PM9/11/93
Greywolf (peaco...@cobra.uni.edu) wrote:

>But ... I thought you keep telling us, time and time again, something to the
>effect of:
>
>"LFIH is dead, dead dead!"
>
>I mean, that, like, sort of gives this impression that it's not really
>available at this point in time. And you usually follow up by asserting that
>it never has and never will be, either.

At the risk of repeating myself, I'll repeat myself: Just because this
book hasn't been published does not mean you can steal the idea and publish
it yourself. I'm surprised that I have to explain this to you. You were,
if I recall correctly, one of the people who pounced on that fellow up in
Canada for creating GIF files of art that didn't belong to him. LFIH is
dead, but apparently that isn't preventing some people from trying to cash
in on it. If you don't think that's wrong, then you certainly have no right
to complain should someone swipe an "unpublished" drawing of yours and make
GIF out of it.

Niall MacConaill

Sep 11, 1993, 10:56:58 PM9/11/93

In a previous article, f...@netcom.com (Fuzzy Fox) says:

>Once again, I will ask, and hopefully you will give a straight,
>unambiguous answer. WHERE can I find this publication called "Lesbian
>Foxes in Hovertanks"? Who is the publisher? When was it sold? Where
>can I buy it?
>
>If there is or was no such publication, THEN IT DOES NOT EXIST. Or
>are you using a different definition of 'existance' than I am?
>
>If you are going to continue to claim that this publication exists
>outside of a couple of sketchbooks, then PLEASE be nice and inform us
>of the location of this work.

The original Lesbian Foxes in Hovertanks, as an idea created by the
team of Phil Morissey and Tom Verre', got around as a "demented joke",
as one person aptly put it earlier. It then, unsurprisingly, got
popular. There HAS been a "LFIH Portfolio", about ten cardstock plates,
5.5 x 8.5 (I think), done by at least Tom Verre' (I'm not sure if Phil
Morissey directly contributed to the art, or was involved in the writing -
it has been nearly two years since I have seen this).

So LFIH, while having never gone to the stage of an actual book (which I
believe it was never intended as such, because it would have then genuinely
become what it was parodying), did get out as a limited, long out-of-print
portfolio of character profiles.

I'm not sure at which stage Paul Kidd entered the fray. So AP bills Tank
Vixens as the former LFIH. It wouldn't be the first time ad hype stretched
the truth past the point of facts, especially in comics...

Serval
--
Niall MacConaill/Serval | "I am a hero. I protect the frail and
ab...@freenet.carleton.ca | innocent. I am sworn to settle petty

Lance Rund

Sep 12, 1993, 12:16:26 AM9/12/93

With all this flap about "Lesbian Foxes and Hovertanks" going on, I've
got to wonder if anyone has asked Morresey or Verre what THEY think? I
mean, if they know it's happeneing and are letting it slide, if it's
cool with them, then just maybe they don't need any self-appointed sav-
iors, and more harm than good is being stirred up.

Sometimes the world doesn't WANT to be saved.

...lance rund
f...@apple.com

Greywolf

Sep 12, 1993, 12:46:20 AM9/12/93
In article <CD7Jq...@news2.cis.umn.edu>, ava...@wings.micro.umn.edu (Timothy Fay) writes:
> in on it. If you don't think that's wrong, then you certainly have no right
> to complain should someone swipe an "unpublished" drawing of yours and make
> GIF out of it.

So, the folks doing Tank Vixens are taking the pages originally meant for LFIH
and publishing them without the creators' consent? I don't think so. There's
a difference between someone having a basic concept, not running with it,
REFUSING to run with it, and someone else being inspired to do something that
apparently shares some of the same concepts. If LFIH is copyrighted, I suppose
there could be some real difficulties, but I really don't see how the idea of
doing a spoof on oversexed warvixens has been exclusively trademarked by these
folks who never ever ever will publish a story on it. It isn't in print, it
will never ever ever in a million-zillion years be in print, by what you say,
after all.

Now, if the original story/plotline/art were ripped off, yeah, there'd be some
real trouble. But from what I understand, someone has written their OWN
storyline, and that's quite different from taking an actual picture I've drawn
(or an actual story I've written) and scanning it or distributing it.

Paul Floriani

Sep 13, 1993, 3:49:24 PM9/13/93
peaco...@cobra.uni.edu (Greywolf) writes:
>Now, I certainly have no particular liking for "Lesbian Foxes in Hovertanks".
>But, after hearing so many "It's dead I tell you! DEAD! Bwahahahaaa!"
>messages, it's kinda unnerving.

I'd be even more unnerved by the resulting comic: "Undead Lesbian Foxes in
Hovertanks"?

Could be the next TMNT! :)

Paul Floriani
flor...@netcom.com

Tygger

Sep 12, 1993, 9:38:00 PM9/12/93
ava...@wings.micro.umn.edu (Timothy Fay) wrote:

TF>Greywolf (peaco...@cobra.uni.edu) wrote:
>>
>>But ... I thought you keep telling us, time and time again, something to t

>>effect of:
>>
>>"LFIH is dead, dead dead!"
>>
>>I mean, that, like, sort of gives this impression that it's not really
>>available at this point in time. And you usually follow up by asserting th

>>it never has and never will be, either.

TF>At the risk of repeating myself, I'll repeat myself: Just because this

>book hasn't been published does not mean you can steal the idea and publish
>it yourself. I'm surprised that I have to explain this to you. You were,

Well, to add my two cents...[clink clink]

According to the copyright rules, once a concept or idea has a physical
form (ie: illos, written word etc) it's copyrighted de facto regardless
of papers having been filed. However, if an idea or concept DOESN'T
have any physical form whatsoever, then if someone hears about it,
likes it, and creates something from it, giving it a physical form, the
original creator really doesn't have much to stand on.

From what I've been reading, if Phil and Tom want to claim infrigement
because there are physical forms of the original concept (LFIH art
and script), then they could.

What does anyone know, RELIABLY, from Tom and Phil about this entire
LFIH vs. Tank Vixens debate? And, doesn't Paul Kidd hold the copyright
on the project? Or just the script?

TTFN!

Tygger

* OLX 2.1 TD * Chastity - the most unnatural of perversions.

{ Team H BBS - Richmond, CA - 510-236-5114 - Anonymous accounts available }
{ Japanese Animation & Adult *** Stories, Pictures, Conversation }
{ Also supporting Pagan, Fat, and GLB issues }

Dean Graf

Sep 13, 1993, 6:31:00 AM9/13/93
Lance Rund's thoughts on the LFIH/Tank Vixens thread:

LR>With all this flap about "Lesbian Foxes and Hovertanks" going on, I've

>got to wonder if anyone has asked Morresey or Verre what THEY think? I
>mean, if they know it's happeneing and are letting it slide, if it's
>cool with them, then just maybe they don't need any self-appointed sav-
>iors, and more harm than good is being stirred up.

LR>Sometimes the world doesn't WANT to be saved.

Hear, hear!
Dean.

* OLX 2.1 TD * Computer (n.) see Aggravation Stimulation Device.

Nicolai...@f524.n102.z1.fidonet.org

Sep 12, 1993, 7:17:07 PM9/12/93
On <Sep 10 07:44>, Timothy Fay wrote:

TF>Sorry, Zjonni, but I don't have to do anything to make furry fans
TF>go for
TF>each other's throats. Just sample a few weeks worth of a.f.f.
TF>and you'll
TF>see that for yourself.

alt.fan.furry posters (and readers) make up only a small fraction of
furry fandom, I think. And to be absolutely honest, I'm glad of it...

=Nicolai...@f524.n102.z1.fidonet.org=

--- msged 2.06

Ashtoreth

Sep 15, 1993, 4:45:55 AM9/15/93
In article <foxCD5...@netcom.com> f...@netcom.com (Fuzzy Fox) writes:

>Ninja Turtles." There is NO such work called "Lesbian Foxes in
>Hovertanks." If you DO know where there is such a work, I would be
>interested in purchasing it.

There is going to be some Lesbian Foxes in Hovertanks material in an
upcoming issue of Station! (this isn't a "maybe;" I've got it right here)
probably #2 or #3. I'll keep you posted on which issue has it.

Station!'s publication deadline will shortly be upgraded to 'very soon now,'
so mail me for submissions guidelines if you're interested in submitting
to this massive, pulsing literary organ. :)

--Ashtoreth (okay, fine, or William Haas)

Tygger

Sep 12, 1993, 9:38:00 PM9/12/93
ava...@wings.micro.umn.edu (Timothy Fay) wrote:

TF>Greywolf (peaco...@cobra.uni.edu) wrote:
>>
>>But ... I thought you keep telling us, time and time again, something to t

>>effect of:
>>
>>"LFIH is dead, dead dead!"
>>
>>I mean, that, like, sort of gives this impression that it's not really
>>available at this point in time. And you usually follow up by asserting th

>>it never has and never will be, either.

TF>At the risk of repeating myself, I'll repeat myself: Just because this

>book hasn't been published does not mean you can steal the idea and publish
>it yourself. I'm surprised that I have to explain this to you. You were,

Well, to add my two cents...[clink clink]

According to the copyright rules, once a concept or idea has a physical
form (ie: illos, written word etc) it's copyrighted de facto regardless
of papers having been filed. However, if an idea or concept DOESN'T
have any physical form whatsoever, then if someone hears about it,
likes it, and creates something from it, giving it a physical form, the
original creator really doesn't have much to stand on.

From what I've been reading, if Phil and Tom want to claim infrigement
because there are physical forms of the original concept (LFIH art
and script), then they could.

What does anyone know, RELIABLY, from Tom and Phil about this entire
LFIH vs. Tank Vixens debate? And, doesn't Paul Kidd hold the copyright
on the project? Or just the script?

TTFN!

Tygger

* OLX 2.1 TD * Chastity - the most unnatural of perversions.

{ Team H BBS - Richmond, CA - 510-236-5114 - Anonymous accounts available }

Dean Graf

Sep 13, 1993, 6:31:00 AM9/13/93
Lance Rund's thoughts on the LFIH/Tank Vixens thread:

LR>With all this flap about "Lesbian Foxes and Hovertanks" going on, I've

>got to wonder if anyone has asked Morresey or Verre what THEY think? I
>mean, if they know it's happeneing and are letting it slide, if it's
>cool with them, then just maybe they don't need any self-appointed sav-
>iors, and more harm than good is being stirred up.

LR>Sometimes the world doesn't WANT to be saved.

Hear, hear!
Dean.

* OLX 2.1 TD * Computer (n.) see Aggravation Stimulation Device.

{ Team H BBS - Richmond, CA - 510-236-5114 - Anonymous accounts available }

Kuzunoha

Sep 15, 1993, 12:55:25 PM9/15/93
Now we're getting into interesting territory. When a group of creators begin
to put something together, but it is never unified (published), do those
individuals who did selected bits wholly by themselves still have rights to
the parts they worked on? Can they use them elsewhere if they complete those
parts into a wholistic work with the help of other creators not involved in
the original project?

When more than one person works on something, who holds copyright?? I've
heard some VERY interesting calls on this sort of thing in the music
industry.

The last time I spoke to Tom Verre about this, he A) didn't want to be
talking too much about it. B) Appeared to have the attitude that he was
done with it, that other people had tried to push him into doing things he
didn't want to do, and C) he was just glad to be the heck out of it.

Haven't spoken to Phil.

Paul is of the opinion that since he wrote the script, wasn't paid for the
script, etc., the script is his own. How much modification has been made to
the script I couldn't tell you, since I never saw the whole of the original.

In my opinion, the whole thing is quite a shame and I can't help but feel
that a fair amount of this silliness on here is doing the people involved
something of a disservice. I don't mind discussion of copyright law, but
mudslinging and veiled implications of treachery are another thing entirely.

Zjonni

Kuzunoha

Sep 15, 1993, 1:01:23 PM9/15/93
One sort of wonders about the legitimacy of posting the address of someone
not on the net to the net without their permission, especially if they're an
artist.

On a lighter note, one REALLY wonders at the person who would commend the
uninitiated to go visit THOSE two!

Zjonni

Scott Alan Malcomson

Sep 15, 1993, 6:05:22 PM9/15/93
>Once again, I will ask, and hopefully you will give a straight,
>unambiguous answer. WHERE can I find this publication called "Lesbian
>Foxes in Hovertanks"? Who is the publisher? When was it sold? Where
>can I buy it?
>If there is or was no such publication, THEN IT DOES NOT EXIST. Or
>are you using a different definition of 'existance' than I am?

Okay, HOLD IT. This has gone far enough, and it's evident that you're not
fully aware of the law on this point. A creation does NOT require
publication to exist, or to be protected by copyright law. Without
physical evidence that LFIH existed at least as a concept prior to the
publication of Tank Vixens, AND evidence that Tank Vixens was produced
based on concepts found in LFIH, there is no case for copyright
infringement.

However, a SKETCHBOOK with dates or other similar supporting
evidence can prove the former, and AP's public statements regarding the
relation between LFIH and Tank Vixens has already proven the latter. No
prior "official" publication of LFIH need have taken place...and in fact,
it has.
I hate to be the one to tell you this, but at the CF4 art show a
pin was up for sale. That pin proudly displayed the "Lesbian Foxes" title,
as well as one of the characters, and had I the cash I would have placed
a bid on it myself. So yes, a creation dealing with LFIH HAS been put up on
the market. Just because no actual comic was produced does not make the
property free and clear for use elsewhere.

>If you are going to continue to claim that this publication exists
>outside of a couple of sketchbooks, then PLEASE be nice and inform us
>of the location of this work.

Please refer to both above paragraphs. It does not matter if the original
sketches were done on napkins, so long as those napkins can be proven to
predate Tank Vixens and a relation between the two can be established.
As well, the pin proves the existence outside a sketchbook at any rate.

---LCD

Scott Alan Malcomson

Sep 15, 1993, 6:17:42 PM9/15/93
>So, the folks doing Tank Vixens are taking the pages originally meant for LFIH
>and publishing them without the creators' consent? I don't think so. There's
>a difference between someone having a basic concept, not running with it,
>REFUSING to run with it, and someone else being inspired to do something that

The basic problem lies in a point that was already raised by the fellow
who started this thread, and while it has been repeated several times
everyone seems to be getting sidetracked. You see, AP publicized Tank
Vixens as being "formerly Lesbian Foxes in Hovertanks". There's the rub.
If NOTHING ELSE, the original creators of LFIH are not receiving any
benefits for the use of their concepts in advertising. If Parsonavich were
to say that Adolescent Radioactive Black Belt Hamsters was "formerly
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles", assuming that Eastman and Laird had decided
not to publish their works, it could be argued that while Parsonavich's
work did not actually resemble TMNT in any way, he was certainly borrowing
from the reputation of others to enhance his own sales.
Now, if LFIH in fact HAS nothing to do with Tank Vixens, AP should
not have advertised it as such. That's called fraud. If it IS, as
advertised, a modification of LFIH, and the original artists and writers
have received no benefits, then it most certainly is copyright infringement.
In either case, it would seem AP is in the wrong.

---LCD

Tygger

Sep 15, 1993, 4:11:00 PM9/15/93
Nicolai...@f524.n102.z1.fidonet.org wrote:

NI>On <Sep 10 07:44>, Timothy Fay wrote:

NI>TF>Sorry, Zjonni, but I don't have to do anything to make furry fans

>TF>go for
>TF>each other's throats. Just sample a few weeks worth of a.f.f.
>TF>and you'll
>TF>see that for yourself.

NI>alt.fan.furry posters (and readers) make up only a small fraction of

>furry fandom, I think. And to be absolutely honest, I'm glad of it...

Dean and I disagree. It seems that regardless of genre and whether it's
in cyberspace or realspace, wherever you have fans, you're going to have
fan politics, fan prejudice, and fans who can't tell the difference
between a debate and a flamewar.

I think, rather, that a.f.f. posters are merely a more vocal yet still
representative cross-section of furfandom.

TTFN!

Tygger and Dean

* OLX 2.1 TD * Cut my pizza in six pieces please - I can't eat eight.

Jeff Tatarek

Sep 16, 1993, 7:03:00 AM9/16/93
Heh heh...I did. :) I mean, I was uninitiated, and I wandered over to
talk with 'em, after talking and throwing money at Mel. White and
Michael Higgs.

Brian O'Connell is a madman. (but in a GOOD kinda way!) If he wasn't
talking about nekkid furries, he was talking about computers.

Jerry Collins, I thought, was pretty cool. I rarely saw the two of
them together, and couldn't stay all of DragonCon, but I did manage to
throw money at Jerry and get them to put a quickie in my sketchbook...