Moments in Furry History: Lawn Con

Mike and Carole

Sep 24, 2004, 10:03:53 PM9/24/04
I don't recall what I called the entry on Merlin the Screaming Urinal, but
I'll just call this series Moments in Furry History and invite others to
post entries also. I hope I remember all the details right.

This story takes place around the second or third Albany Anthrocon.

This was the convention when Kevin Duane was banned from AAC. I know the
story, most of you do as well, so we'll just skip it here.

Anyway, Kevin came to the area as he had planned, but could not enter the
hotel or convention area.

At that time, Carole and I would fly in to Connecticut, and our friend Boyce
Kline would meet us, we'd stay at this place a bit, and then all of us drive
down to Albany.

Sunday afternoon, we were all in Boyce's car outside the hotel getting ready
to drive back, and suddenly Boyce stopped the car for a few minutes.

Kevin was on the lawn of the hotel. Boyce walked over to hitm, Kevin opened
up a small case, and they talked for a few minutes. Boyce finally came back
with some merchandise he had bought from Kevin.

I asked him "How was LawnCon?"

He replied "Pretty short, but the Dealer's Room was huge!"

Mike

--
"Where I come from there are men who do nothing all day but good deeds.
They are called Good Deed Doers."

AnthroCoon Macrofurry

Sep 25, 2004, 4:23:59 AM9/25/04

"Mike and Carole" <Shan...@cyberback.com> wrote in message

> This story takes place around the second or third Albany Anthrocon.

Well, it was probably the _second_ AAC as there were only two editions in
Albany...1997 and 1998 . Or the
first, but couldn't be the _third_ :)

'99 and '00 in King of Prussia, and Philly since then.
And I have...all together now... BEEN TO ALL
OF THEM :)

Marc

Sep 25, 2004, 9:25:36 AM9/25/04
Had Convention Security or even worse Kage, known about it, he would
have left in a police car (again) for trespassing.

Mike and Carole wrote:

<clip>

Mike and Carole

Sep 25, 2004, 10:35:40 AM9/25/04

"Marc" <grey...@videotron.ca> wrote in message

> Had Convention Security or even worse Kage, known about it, he would
> have left in a police car (again) for trespassing.

I told Kage for the first time this past year. At the time, I didn't know
all the backstory, or we might have gone back in to tell someone.

Mike

He Who Controls The Yiff Controls Furry Fandom

Sep 25, 2004, 1:43:25 PM9/25/04
"Mike and Carole" <Shan...@cyberback.com> shall never vanquished be
until great Birnam wood to high alt.fan.furry. hill shall come against
him.

>Kevin Duane

Who?

--
Khofaeghorz gvegh gvegh gnaedh faeng vargr rrirrg!

Vargr speech without Vargr teeth!

Marc

Sep 25, 2004, 5:08:36 PM9/25/04
Sarcasm ON
Considering I'm one of the major players who got Kevin banned, I would
have just 'loved' to hear about that action. It would truly have made my
entire weekend to have the dubious pleasure of filling tons of
paperwork, have long conversations with police officers, and just that
much more stress during what is also my vacation time.
Sarcasm OFF

Without going into details, Mr Duane was banned for breaking several
convention rules, and a mix of municipal, state and federal laws...

The reason you (or most anyone for that matter) were not aware is simply
because of the way Anthrocon security worked at the time; even extreme
cases were dealt with at least some politeness and discretion unless
they made an entire show of it.

To my knowledge, only 3 people ever got banned from Anthrocon, and I was
involved in all 3 cases.

This is actually quite an amazing record, few events that size can claim
to have so few problems. The credit goes to an amazing group of
staffers. They work insanely hard and all I hope is that they get
thanked once in a while.

Mike and Carole

Sep 25, 2004, 5:44:16 PM9/25/04

> Sarcasm ON
> Considering I'm one of the major players who got Kevin banned, I would
> have just 'loved' to hear about that action. It would truly have made my
> entire weekend to have the dubious pleasure of filling tons of
> paperwork, have long conversations with police officers, and just that
> much more stress during what is also my vacation time.
> Sarcasm OFF
>
> Without going into details, Mr Duane was banned for breaking several
> convention rules, and a mix of municipal, state and federal laws...
>
> The reason you (or most anyone for that matter) were not aware is simply
> because of the way Anthrocon security worked at the time; even extreme
> cases were dealt with at least some politeness and discretion unless
> they made an entire show of it.
>
> To my knowledge, only 3 people ever got banned from Anthrocon, and I was
> involved in all 3 cases.
>
> This is actually quite an amazing record, few events that size can claim
> to have so few problems. The credit goes to an amazing group of
> staffers. They work insanely hard and all I hope is that they get
> thanked once in a while.

We definately appreciate the security folk at AC, as it's pretty much a
thankless job at times.

No, we heard the entire story from Kage about 2 years ago, after hearing
third hand versions of it.

Look me up sometime at a convention for an interesting adventure that ALMOST
happened at Further Confusion.

Mike

That wascally miscweant Joe Strike

Sep 27, 2004, 10:07:37 PM9/27/04
dsa...@yahoo.co.uk (He Who Controls The Yiff Controls Furry Fandom) wrote in message

> >Kevin Duane
>
> Who?

Boy, do you have some catching up to do.

Pyesetz the Dog

Sep 28, 2004, 12:36:46 AM9/28/04
dsaun12 wrote:
> "Mike and Carole" wrote:
>> Kevin Duane
> Who?

This page (currently in Google cache, better read it quick!)
compares Kevin Duane with mhirtes. It includes some details:
http://216.239.39.104/search?q=cache:pwTIFsy3k1IJ:vcl.ctrl-c.liu.se/vclforum/printthread.php3%3Fthreadid%3D3587+%22kevin+duane%22+furry

mhirtes

Sep 28, 2004, 9:30:41 PM9/28/04
In article <pan.2004.09.28....@comcast.net>,

LOL! It amuses me to know that you all still love me so.

mhirtes

Sep 28, 2004, 9:32:56 PM9/28/04
In article <pan.2004.09.28....@comcast.net>,
Pyesetz the Dog <pye...@comcast.net> wrote:

PS:

Oh, LOONgarou? LOL!

I'm sure he's a really fond name in furrydumb.