Qit el-Remel limps back from MCRD Parris Island, madder than a wet...sand cat

Qit el-Remel

Jan 12, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/12/00
Grrr....

I WAS GUARANTEED AN ROTC SCHOLARSHIP! I WAS GONNA MAKE CONTRACT PFC,
DAMMIT! Stress-related PANIC ATTACKS! Of all the FOOL THINGS to set my
prospective military career waydafuckback! And as for my senior drill
instructor...may that woman have an unplanned pregnancy and give birth
to a puppy, and may whatever deity present permit the puppy to develop
chronic mange. Does she have ANY idea what the first Core Value is?

What the hell. DEspite all their threats, they can only keep me from
re-enlisting for two years. I'll go back to college, finish my
bachelor's degree, and THEN consider the fucking Jarh...I mean, Marine
Corps or any other branch of the fucking military.

Panic attacks, gawdammit.

-Qit el-Remel, getting re-adjusted to civilian life.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Qit el-Remel

Qit el-Remel

Jan 12, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/12/00

M. Mitchell Marmel

Jan 13, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/13/00
Qit el-Remel wrote:

> Grrr....
>
> I WAS GUARANTEED AN ROTC SCHOLARSHIP! I WAS GONNA MAKE CONTRACT PFC,
> DAMMIT! Stress-related PANIC ATTACKS! Of all the FOOL THINGS to set my
> prospective military career waydafuckback!

They're doing medical discharges for panic attacks? Geeze. The phrase
"wotta bunch of wusses" comes to mind...

Mind you, I get 'em myself, and they can be nasty, but if you're not in
a combat position, they shouldn't slow you down much...

M. Mitchell Marmel \ Scattered, smothered, covered, chunked,
Drexel University \ whipped, beaten, chained and pierced.
Department of Materials Engineering \ *THE BEST HASHBROWNS IN THE WORLD!*
Fibrous Materials Research Center \ marm...@dunx1.ocs.drexel.edu
TaliVisions Homepage: http://www.pages.drexel.edu/grad/marmelmm/Talivisions/index.html
ICQ # 58305217

Qit el-Remel

Jan 13, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/13/00
In article <387DC2C8...@drexel.edu>,
marm...@drexel.edu wrote:

> They're doing medical discharges for panic attacks? Geeze. The phrase
> "wotta bunch of wusses" comes to mind...

It wasn't actually medical. It was unclassified. They told me I
couldn't train and shouldn't re-enlist until I got counseling for the
fucking panic attacks. And I'm not sure if they'll even let me re-
enlist; I've heard I could, and I've heard I couldn't, all from people
who'd seen my service record.

> Mind you, I get 'em myself, and they can be nasty, but if you're not in
> a combat position, they shouldn't slow you down much...

I was going to be a combat correspondent. Actually, I was going to
write for Leatherneck Magazine.

-Qit el-Remel.

Niall C. Shapero

Jan 13, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/13/00
M. Mitchell Marmel wrote:

> Qit el-Remel wrote:
> >
> > Grrr....
> >
> > I WAS GUARANTEED AN ROTC SCHOLARSHIP! I WAS GONNA MAKE CONTRACT PFC,
> > DAMMIT! Stress-related PANIC ATTACKS! Of all the FOOL THINGS to set my
> > prospective military career waydafuckback!
>

> They're doing medical discharges for panic attacks? Geeze. The phrase
> "wotta bunch of wusses" comes to mind...
>

> Mind you, I get 'em myself, and they can be nasty, but if you're not in
> a combat position, they shouldn't slow you down much...

A marine, who cannot be used in a combat position? Err...Mitch, are we on the same
planet, here? A marine who is unable to handle combat (or stressful situations) without
going in to a panic attack is a useless waste of space. He is unable to carry out his
primary function, that being to act as a tool to enforcing the will of the government on
the enemy.

-- N. C. Shapero

Niall C. Shapero

Jan 13, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/13/00
Qit el-Remel wrote:

> > They're doing medical discharges for panic attacks? Geeze. The phrase
> > "wotta bunch of wusses" comes to mind...
>

> It wasn't actually medical. It was unclassified. They told me I
> couldn't train and shouldn't re-enlist until I got counseling for the
> fucking panic attacks. And I'm not sure if they'll even let me re-
> enlist; I've heard I could, and I've heard I couldn't, all from people
> who'd seen my service record.
>

> > Mind you, I get 'em myself, and they can be nasty, but if you're not in
> > a combat position, they shouldn't slow you down much...
>

> I was going to be a combat correspondent. Actually, I was going to
> write for Leatherneck Magazine.

You could go to college, major in journalism, and then try to get posted as a
war correspondent (there's always one going on SOMEWHERE). But if you have
stress related panic attacks, going in to combat situations may not be quite
the best idea for you...

-- N. C. Shapero

Qit el-Remel

Jan 14, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/14/00
In article <387E9F3D...@ix.netcom.com>,

"Niall C. Shapero" <nsha...@ix.netcom.com> wrote:
> You could go to college, major in journalism, and then try to get
posted as a
> war correspondent (there's always one going on SOMEWHERE).

That's what I'm going to try to do.

>But if you have
> stress related panic attacks, going in to combat situations may not
be quite
> the best idea for you...

1) I was told that they were controllable with proper therapy.
2) There was this gunnery sergeant, SDI, and all-around badass jarhead
who used to have severe panic attacks (including one that nearly caused
her to have a traffic accident) who I talked to. She was eventually
able to complete training.
3) Women aren't usually sent into combat except as pilots (and I don't
think they'd let me into aviation even if I did re-enlist after getting
my B.A.) Military bureaucracy, go fig.
4) I'm not sure if I'm *going* to re-enlist even if they let me. And
if I did, I would get my B.A. first.

-Qit el-Remel

Qit el-Remel

Jan 14, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/14/00
In article <387E9DF0...@ix.netcom.com>,

"Niall C. Shapero" <nsha...@ix.netcom.com> wrote:

> A marine, who cannot be used in a combat position? Err...Mitch, are
we on the same
> planet, here? A marine who is unable to handle combat (or stressful
situations) without
> going in to a panic attack is a useless waste of space. He is unable
to carry out his
> primary function, that being to act as a tool to enforcing the will
of the government on
> the enemy.

I'm female (VR and IRL). They don't use women in combat positions. And
some of the stress was deliberately put on me (they were playing power
games along the lines of "We're kicking you out. Just kidding" the
whole time that I was there; I was also arbitrarily selected as Gomer
Pyle whether or not I actually screwed up).

I later found out that if I had been in any company apart from N (4th
Battalion's answer to "Full Metal Jacket") none of the kind of crap the
D.I.s were laying on us would have been tolerated. There *is* a maximum
crap ratio for most companies, but apparently not N.

Niall C. Shapero

Jan 14, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/14/00
Qit el-Remel wrote:

> In article <387E9DF0...@ix.netcom.com>,
> "Niall C. Shapero" <nsha...@ix.netcom.com> wrote:
>
> > A marine, who cannot be used in a combat position? Err...Mitch, are
> we on the same
> > planet, here? A marine who is unable to handle combat (or stressful
> situations) without
> > going in to a panic attack is a useless waste of space. He is unable
> to carry out his
> > primary function, that being to act as a tool to enforcing the will
> of the government on
> > the enemy.
>
> I'm female (VR and IRL). They don't use women in combat positions. And
> some of the stress was deliberately put on me (they were playing power
> games along the lines of "We're kicking you out. Just kidding" the
> whole time that I was there; I was also arbitrarily selected as Gomer
> Pyle whether or not I actually screwed up).

Sorry, but your name didn't immediately yell "female" to this individual.

-- N. C. Shapero

PeterCat

Jan 15, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/15/00
Recently in alt.fan.furry,

Qit el-Remel <qitr...@my-deja.com> wrote:
> That's what I'm going to try to do.

It would be better to major in political science, international affairs,
etc. -- that is, the field on which you want to report, rather than majoring
solely in journalism. Look for a school that will allow you to do a minor in
journalism, or a dual major, or even just let you audit journalism courses.
Journalism school graduates by and large become dime-a-dozen general
assignment reporters for local TV stations and newspapers, who cover 3 or 4
different stories every day and give them superficial treatment. If you want
to be able to write about something in depth, it's better to study that
field instead of studying how to write. I learned newswriting at a 2-week
summer seminar in high school 25 years ago, but once you have the basics
down the rest is just practice.

--
The Furry InfoPage! http://www.tigerden.com/infopage/furry/
pete...@furry.fan.org (PeterCat) Rhal on FurryMUCK (come cuddle!)

Qit el-Remel

Jan 15, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/15/00
In article <38800617...@ix.netcom.com>,

"Niall C. Shapero" <nsha...@ix.netcom.com> wrote:

> Sorry, but your name didn't immediately yell "female" to this individual.

My hy00man name is Kayla. "Qit el-Remel" is Arabic for sand cat (felis
margarita).

Richard Chandler - WA Resident

Jan 16, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/16/00
In article <85r0is$egg$1...@nnrp1.deja.com>, Qit el-Remel <qitr...@my-deja.com>
writes:

> In article <38800617...@ix.netcom.com>,
> "Niall C. Shapero" <nsha...@ix.netcom.com> wrote:
>
> > Sorry, but your name didn't immediately yell "female" to this
> > individual.
>
> My hy00man name is Kayla. "Qit el-Remel" is Arabic for sand cat
> (felis margarita).

Ah, I think I know who you are.

But please, I'm a human being. It's insulting to refer to my species as a
hy00man. Kinda like using "the N-word".

--
The greatest tragedy is that the same species that achieved space flight,
a cure for polio, and the transistor, is also featured nightly on COPS.

Al Goldman

Jan 16, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/16/00
In article <85o7iv$jfj$1...@nnrp1.deja.com>, Qit el-Remel <qitr...@my-deja.com>
writes:

>1) I was told that they were controllable with proper therapy.

>2) There was this gunnery sergeant, SDI, and all-around badass jarhead
>who used to have severe panic attacks (including one that nearly caused
>her to have a traffic accident) who I talked to. She was eventually
>able to complete training.

The now have drugs to help with panic attacks. Talk to a psychiatrist who
specializes in such things.

Best of luck!

Al Goldman (Flaky newsfeed - sorry if this gets posted late)

Rick Pikul

Jan 17, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/17/00
In article <85o7iv$jfj$1...@nnrp1.deja.com>, qitr...@my-deja.com says...

{Foomph...}

> 3) Women aren't usually sent into combat except as pilots (and I don't
> think they'd let me into aviation even if I did re-enlist after getting
> my B.A.) Military bureaucracy, go fig.

Moot point, _all_ USMC personal have rifleman as one of their
MOSs, no exceptions.

If you can't be one of the warm bodies in the trenches, you can't
be a US Marine.

--
Phoenix

Qit el-Remel

Jan 18, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/18/00
In article <85p44l$1...@shell.servtech.com>,
pete...@furry.fan.org wrote:

> It would be better to major in political science, international affairs,
> etc. -- that is, the field on which you want to report, rather than majoring
> solely in journalism.

*shrug* I might end up doing that.

>Look for a school that will allow you to do a minor in
> journalism, or a dual major, or even just let you audit journalism courses.

There's actually a *lot* of colleges which will let you do that.

> Journalism school graduates by and large become dime-a-dozen general
> assignment reporters for local TV stations and newspapers, who cover 3 or 4
> different stories every day and give them superficial treatment. If you want
> to be able to write about something in depth, it's better to study that
> field instead of studying how to write. I learned newswriting at a 2-week
> summer seminar in high school 25 years ago, but once you have the basics
> down the rest is just practice.

Actually, I probably don't need a B.A. in journalism; I used to write for
school newspapers.

Being a news anchor might be a good job...

Qit el-Remel

Jan 18, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/18/00
In article <20000116150215...@nso-co.aol.com>,
allan...@aol.comNARF (Al Goldman) wrote:

> The now have drugs to help with panic attacks. Talk to a psychiatrist who
> specializes in such things.

I fully intend to do so. Today.

Qit el-Remel

Jan 18, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/18/00
In article <MPG.12eb1118b...@furry.ao.net>,
Rick Pikul <rwp...@idirect.com> wrote:

> Moot point, _all_ USMC personal have rifleman as one of their
> MOSs, no exceptions.

The rifle is not an MOS. It's part of basic training. And you have to
re-qualify for it every month (I think). And it wouldn't have been the
firing range that gave me trouble; I tend to have panic attacks *after* a
stressful situation has already passed. (From what I can tell, anyway; I
only had two of them in boot camp, one of which was after I'd been
falsely accused of a serious offense, the other after a similarly
stressful situation.)

Qit el-Remel

Jan 18, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/18/00
In article <000116021...@mauser.at.kendra.com>,

mau...@kendra.com (Richard Chandler - WA Resident) wrote:

> Ah, I think I know who you are.

The weirdo from FurCon '99 who wears silver velvet shirts with fatigues.

> But please, I'm a human being. It's insulting to refer to my species as a
> hy00man. Kinda like using "the N-word".

Sorry!

Richard Chandler - WA Resident

Jan 18, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/18/00
In article <862p0g$sji$1...@nnrp1.deja.com>, Qit el-Remel <qitr...@my-deja.com>
writes:

> In article <000116021...@mauser.at.kendra.com>,
> mau...@kendra.com (Richard Chandler - WA Resident) wrote:
>
> > Ah, I think I know who you are.
>
> The weirdo from FurCon '99 who wears silver velvet shirts with fatigues.

Cute face, long, unkempt-looking hair, boyfriend a third again taller than
you... :-)

You used to be on here as FeralKatt, right?

Qit el-Remel

Jan 20, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/20/00
In article <
000118205...@mauser.at.kendra.c
om>,

> Cute face, long, unkempt-looking hair, boyfriend a third again taller than
> you... :-)

Couldn't tell you about the cute part and
I've cut my hair (I know, it's supposed to be
guys who cut their hair if they join the
military, but mine was unmanageable), but
yes, my boyfriend is about a third again
taller than me.

> You used to be on here as FeralKatt, right?

Yes. I changed my handle because
"FeralKatt" isn't really apt for a sand cat
character.

Rick Pikul

Jan 24, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/24/00
In article <862osp$sa7$1...@nnrp1.deja.com>, qitr...@my-deja.com says...

> In article <MPG.12eb1118b...@furry.ao.net>,
> Rick Pikul <rwp...@idirect.com> wrote:
>
> > Moot point, _all_ USMC personal have rifleman as one of their
> > MOSs, no exceptions.
>
> The rifle is not an MOS. It's part of basic training. And you have to
> re-qualify for it every month (I think).

Not rifle, rifleman which is a MOS. The USMC is unique in making
the full MOS required of all personal, the US army may require
qualification in rifle but not holding the full MOS.

--
Phoenix