Rumor of Furcadia going down Forever

1 view

KeeCoyote

May 21, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/21/99
Dr.Cat Felorin is this true? :(
Is Furcadia going down forever?

Dwight J. Dutton

May 22, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/22/99

KeeCoyote @iwvisp.com> <"keecoyote<remove to mail> wrote in message
news:37460D...@iwvisp.com...

> Dr.Cat Felorin is this true? :(
> Is Furcadia going down forever?

Doesnt' look like it to me, but I was just goign to ask why it's been in
Alpha test stage seemingly forever.

Dr. Cat

May 23, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/23/99
> Dwight J. Dutton wrote:

> > KeeCoyote wrote:
> > Dr.Cat Felorin is this true? :(
> > Is Furcadia going down forever?

Nope. Furcadia will be up as long as I'm alive & capable of keeping it
that way, and hopefully beyond then too. I'm sorry about the four hour
downtime on Friday, that was an avoidable mistake on my part. There was
an obscure bug where if somebody kicked the bouncy ball in a
player-created dream in just a certain way at just a certain moment
it would crash the server. And I had turned off the auto-restarter
script that normally starts the game right up again after an unexpected
crash, so it didn't get going again until I got home from work (alas my
ICQ at work doesn't work right now, so nobody can inform me an emergency
restart is needed).

Anyway the bug is fixed now, so you can bounce the bouncy balls anywhere
you like. And the restart script is back on like it normally is. Sorry
for the inconvenience. I am working on negotiating a business deal
that'll put us in a professional maintained hosting site, staffed 24/7,
with high speed links directly to 6 of the major backbones. It'd also
get us moved onto a dual pentium server so we can handle a lot more players.
But of course, like any business negotiation, don't believe it'll happen
until there's an actual contract signed, and the ink is dry on it. We'll
see. I think the chances look good.

> Doesnt' look like it to me, but I was just goign to ask why it's been in
> Alpha test stage seemingly forever.

Lack of funding, pure and simple. I'm trying to work out arrangements
for that too. Luckily we never promised anyone that it would go into
beta by any specific date, though I know a lot of the players would
really like to see it get there. Still, usage has been continuing to
grow ever since it opened two and a half years ago, so I guess a lot of
people enjoy having even just what's there so far. :X)

Dr. Cat / Dragon's Eye Productions || Free alpha test:
Furcadia - a new graphic mud for PCs! || Let your imagination soar!

(Disclaimer: Say, if I'm obviously delusional, is it possible that maybe
I already have funding and I just don't know it? D'oh, am I stupid! I
should be done by now!)