FurCon, ConFur10, and other Cons!

CmdrKainS

Nov 7, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/7/98

Heya furs!

I decided to start making plans for FC, CF10, and any other Cons I might have a
chance to attend.
I'd like to get your input as well on a few points...

When making my budget, what expenses should I factor in?
What kind of un-official events, gatherings, etc...will be going on at the
above Cons?

And I decided to start right now in trying to find crash space for FC. I'm
planning on getting my own room for CF10, but don't know if I can afford that
*and* my own room at FC as well. So I decided I need to do one of the
following...

A: Find a fur willing to donate crash space at FC, either a corner or unused
bed in a hotel room, or a couch/bed/whatever at a nearby fur's home would do.
B: Split the room costs with another fur/s at both FC and CF10.
C: Both of the above.
Anyone wanna help me out with this.

Also. since I live in Sacramento, just a two hour drive from the site of FC, I
was wondering if I could hitch a ride with anyfur? I am planning on going to
the Con on the dates specified, as well as staying an extra day to hopefully
meet some furries in the area.

Not sure what other things i need to plan for/about for both FC and/or CF10. So
if anyone has any other ideas of what i should think about...lemme know?

Yiff ya later

Trace Kern (an other names!)
Amature RPGer turned writer...
Trac...@juno.com
Cmdr...@aol.com

Fhaolan

Nov 7, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/7/98
On 07 Nov 1998 12:25:36 GMT, cmdr...@aol.com (CmdrKainS) wrote:

>Heya furs!
>
>I decided to start making plans for FC, CF10, and any other Cons I might have a
>chance to attend.
>I'd like to get your input as well on a few points...
>
>When making my budget, what expenses should I factor in?
>What kind of un-official events, gatherings, etc...will be going on at the
>above Cons?

Fhaolan grins, "Well, before more experienced con-goers ge' their own
poin's in, I'd jus' like tae issue one budgetary caution. Food!"

"Make sure ye have plenty o' money set aside for food. Money that ye
*will nae* touch, except for food. I've seen people try tae starve
themselves, so they can top tha' las' bid at tha' auction far too many
times. An' almos' withou' fail, they get sick tha' followin' week."

"Cons are short enough tha' many people will try tae eat only once a
day, or nae at all, durin' tha con. Thinkin' they can make up for it
afterwards. An' if all they were doin' was sittin' aroun' chattin', ye
could probably get away with it. Bu' at many cons, ye'll be runnin'
aroun', on yer feet all day, dancin', partyin' all nigh', etc. Ye'll
need tha' energy from food."

"One o' me friends approaches a con tha same way he approaches a
campin' trip. He brings bags o' trail mix tae munch, jus' so he never
gets caugh' short. One o' these days, I'll remember tae do tha' as
well." :)

"Have fun!"

-Fhaolan, Celtic Wuf!

Dale Farmer

Nov 8, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/8/98
CmdrKainS <cmdr...@aol.com> wrote:

: Heya furs!

: I decided to start making plans for FC, CF10, and any other Cons I might have a
: chance to attend.
: I'd like to get your input as well on a few points...

: When making my budget, what expenses should I factor in?
: What kind of un-official events, gatherings, etc...will be going on at the
: above Cons?

Sit down, add up travel costs, including taxes. Hotel room costs,
which include the quoted room rate, plus taxes (anywhere from 3 to 15
percent), tip for the maid. Food costs, DON"T SKIMP HERE!. If you are
on a small budget, get one of those small folding coolers. Bring a loaf
of bread and sandwich filling. Having had to take more than one first-
time con-goer to the hospital with hypoglycemia in the past, I don't want
to take anyone else. You don't want to be taken either. Eat well before
you leave home. Bring any medications you take with you. If you have
any medical conditions, write them on a piece of paper, along with any
medications you take, and the name of your emergency contact(s). Label
the outside of this paper EMEGENCY INFORMATION, and keep it with you, in
a wallet or whatever.
Now budget for dealers room and artshow purchases.
Also remember the 6-2-1 rule for convention survival. At any
given time, within the last 24 hours you should have had six hours of
sleep, two good meals, and one shower. Clean clothes every day also.
Over-indulgance in alcohol or other drugs is a bad thing.
Be nice, have fun, don't take anything too personally.

--Dale

Dale Farmer Dale at accessdotdigex.net Personal opinion. Sudbury, Mass.
"Free the ISO 9000!" --Nomi Burstein

CmdrKainS

Nov 9, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/9/98

In article <36449e02...@news.istar.ca>, ark...@istar.ca (Fhaolan) writes:

>On 07 Nov 1998 12:25:36 GMT, cmdr...@aol.com (CmdrKainS) wrote:
>
>>Heya furs!
>>
>>I decided to start making plans for FC, CF10, and any other Cons I might
>have a
>>chance to attend.
>>I'd like to get your input as well on a few points...
>>
>>When making my budget, what expenses should I factor in?
>>What kind of un-official events, gatherings, etc...will be going on at the
>>above Cons?
>

>Fhaolan grins, "Well, before more experienced con-goers ge' their own
>poin's in, I'd jus' like tae issue one budgetary caution. Food!"
>
>"Make sure ye have plenty o' money set aside for food. Money that ye
>*will nae* touch, except for food. I've seen people try tae starve
>themselves, so they can top tha' las' bid at tha' auction far too many
>times. An' almos' withou' fail, they get sick tha' followin' week."
>
>"Cons are short enough tha' many people will try tae eat only once a
>day, or nae at all, durin' tha con. Thinkin' they can make up for it
>afterwards. An' if all they were doin' was sittin' aroun' chattin', ye
>could probably get away with it. Bu' at many cons, ye'll be runnin'
>aroun', on yer feet all day, dancin', partyin' all nigh', etc. Ye'll
>need tha' energy from food."
>
>"One o' me friends approaches a con tha same way he approaches a
>campin' trip. He brings bags o' trail mix tae munch, jus' so he never
>gets caugh' short. One o' these days, I'll remember tae do tha' as
>well." :)
>
>"Have fun!"
>
>-Fhaolan, Celtic Wuf!

Rather than replying after each paragraph, I'll reply en masse here. <grin>

Anyways, for CF10, I plan to go as a Super Sponsor, so I will get the benefits
of the Con feeding me. At Super Sponsor Status, you get access to the S Sponsor
lounge, which is usually stocked with food for the S Sponsors. So while I do
plan to set aside some money for meals (IE I want to take somone to
dinner/etc), I won't need to budget *that* much in.

Thanks for the advice though!

CmdrKainS

Nov 9, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/9/98

In article <xOp12.1$YM.28...@dca1-nnrp1.news.digex.net>, Dale Farmer
<da...@access5.digex.net> writes:

>CmdrKainS <cmdr...@aol.com> wrote:
>
>: Heya furs!
>
>: I decided to start making plans for FC, CF10, and any other Cons I might
>have a
>: chance to attend.
>: I'd like to get your input as well on a few points...
>
>: When making my budget, what expenses should I factor in?
>: What kind of un-official events, gatherings, etc...will be going on at the
>: above Cons?

> Sit down, add up travel costs, including taxes. Hotel room costs,
>which include the quoted room rate, plus taxes (anywhere from 3 to 15
>percent), tip for the maid. Food costs, DON"T SKIMP HERE!. If you are
>on a small budget, get one of those small folding coolers. Bring a loaf
>of bread and sandwich filling. Having had to take more than one first-
>time con-goer to the hospital with hypoglycemia in the past, I don't want
>to take anyone else. You don't want to be taken either. Eat well before
>you leave home. Bring any medications you take with you. If you have
>any medical conditions, write them on a piece of paper, along with any
>medications you take, and the name of your emergency contact(s). Label
>the outside of this paper EMEGENCY INFORMATION, and keep it with you, in
>a wallet or whatever.
> Now budget for dealers room and artshow purchases.
> Also remember the 6-2-1 rule for convention survival. At any
>given time, within the last 24 hours you should have had six hours of
>sleep, two good meals, and one shower. Clean clothes every day also.
>Over-indulgance in alcohol or other drugs is a bad thing.
> Be nice, have fun, don't take anything too personally.
>
> --Dale

<writes down all the info>
Okie! Thanks alot for the advice! Now just gotta figure out travel and lodging
costs!

Yiff ya later!

khr...@my-dejanews.com

Nov 9, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/9/98
cmdr...@aol.com (CmdrKainS) wrote:
> ark...@istar.ca (Fhaolan) writes:
> >On 07 Nov 1998 12:25:36 GMT, cmdr...@aol.com (CmdrKainS) wrote:
> >
> >>Heya furs!
> >>
> >>I decided to start making plans for FC, CF10, and any other Cons I might
> >have a
> >>chance to attend.
> >>I'd like to get your input as well on a few points...
> >>
> >>When making my budget, what expenses should I factor in?
> >>What kind of un-official events, gatherings, etc...will be going on at the
> >>above Cons?
> >Fhaolan grins, "Well, before more experienced con-goers ge' their own
> >poin's in, I'd jus' like tae issue one budgetary caution. Food!"
> Rather than replying after each paragraph, I'll reply en masse here. <grin>
>
> Anyways, for CF10, I plan to go as a Super Sponsor, so I will get the benefits
> of the Con feeding me. At Super Sponsor Status, you get access to the S
Sponsor
> lounge, which is usually stocked with food for the S Sponsors. So while I do
> plan to set aside some money for meals (IE I want to take somone to
> dinner/etc), I won't need to budget *that* much in.

Ahm... I don't know how many cons you've been to before, and how many of them
are furrycons, but I would suggest you don't _depend_ on the Super Sponsor
lounge to carry you through the con.

Very rarely have I seen a lounge that provides more than rudimentary snacking
stuffs, and while that's a sight better than nothing it's still not a good
way to survive a weekend of high activity. Also, while there may be the best
of intentions to provide a lot of nutritious nibbles, most hotel contracts
force a con to go through the hotel Catering for anything more serious than
chips. Often , the hotel's prices for appetiser trays are astronomical and
the final product is rarely worth the price in size or quality.

Better that you prepare for the worst (an SS lounge with chips and Pepsi) and
hope for the best (a sandwich bar, breakfast buffet, etc.). If you bring
enough money and find that the lounge isn't what you thought it would be,
you've not lost anything. Assuming the lounge will be up to your specs and
then finding it's not and you don't have the funds for better isn't a fun way
to spend a con.

-- ermine

Doodles

Nov 11, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/11/98
On Tue, 10 Nov 1998 20:13:49 GMT, srma...@home.com (Sean Malloy)
wrote:

>Based on _prior_ experience with the CF Super Sponsor lounge, it's had
>pretty good sandwich fixings, cookies, and some beverages from around
>1000 through about 1600, but there's very little to be had outside
>those hours -- it generally won't open until 0900-1000, and there is
>often someone _sleeping_ in the room, so it won't be open late at
>night. You _can_ snag extra sandwich fixings and tuck them away in
>your room for later, but you run into the 'Sam-n-Ella' roulette if you
>have sandwich meats and cheese out at room temperature for hours...

A tactic I've used a lot is bringing along a cooler, filling it witrh
ice and adding beverages, including milk. It doesn't take much to
keep the cooler filled and with milk and juice you only need to add
some breakfast cereal [maybe one of those breakfast pack combinations
Kellogs has just come out with] of your choosing and you've just
handled 1/3 of your meals for the weekend at minimal cost.

Even if you're coming in from out of state, you can use this tactic.
Just get yourself to the closest grocery store and pick up a cheap
styrofoam cooler for use. Amazingly cost effective. Give the cooler
and any leftovers to homeless folks.

Unca Spooge, pragmatic

CmdrKainS

Nov 12, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/12/98

In article <726tff$6ik$1...@nnrp1.dejanews.com>, khr...@my-dejanews.com writes:

>Ahm... I don't know how many cons you've been to before, and how many of them
>are furrycons, but I would suggest you don't _depend_ on the Super Sponsor
>lounge to carry you through the con.
>
>Very rarely have I seen a lounge that provides more than rudimentary snacking
>stuffs, and while that's a sight better than nothing it's still not a good
>way to survive a weekend of high activity. Also, while there may be the best
>of intentions to provide a lot of nutritious nibbles, most hotel contracts
>force a con to go through the hotel Catering for anything more serious than
>chips. Often , the hotel's prices for appetiser trays are astronomical and
>the final product is rarely worth the price in size or quality.
>
>Better that you prepare for the worst (an SS lounge with chips and Pepsi) and
>hope for the best (a sandwich bar, breakfast buffet, etc.). If you bring
>enough money and find that the lounge isn't what you thought it would be,
>you've not lost anything. Assuming the lounge will be up to your specs and
>then finding it's not and you don't have the funds for better isn't a fun way
>to spend a con.
>
>-- ermine
>==================================
>home email: KhromatAtInOrbitDotCom

<listens and nods> Thanks Ermine! Never thought about that angle.

Okay...gotta re-do my budget again....<chuckles>

SilverJain

Nov 13, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/13/98
>A tactic I've used a lot is bringing along a cooler, filling it witrh
>ice and adding beverages, including milk

Be VERY careful with milk in coolers! Milk can turn VERY quickly. You really
don't want to get food poisoning from bad milk. It's BAD NEWS.

--Elin, veteran of con disasters....
"Remember, Zip, evil spelled backwards is live, and we all want to do that!"
-Mok, "Rock'n'Rule"

Doodles

Nov 13, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/13/98
On 13 Nov 1998 03:04:14 GMT, silve...@aol.com (SilverJain) wrote:

>>A tactic I've used a lot is bringing along a cooler, filling it witrh
>>ice and adding beverages, including milk
>
>Be VERY careful with milk in coolers! Milk can turn VERY quickly. You really
>don't want to get food poisoning from bad milk. It's BAD NEWS.

Oh yes, I know how milk can turn. The trick is to keep the ice up in
the cooler. Milk rarely lasts long around me, anyway. No problems in
about a dozen cons.

>--Elin, veteran of con disasters....

Unca Spooge, wondering if we could make a con disaster film based on
CF and get Tommy Lee Jones to star as himself...