FZ influenced by Jethro Tull?

Gary

Nov 29, 2005, 4:18:48 PM11/29/05
Not bloody likely, but just think about the bluesy guitar/piano intros
to:

Locomotive Breath
Po-Jama People.

hmmmmm!!!!

<';.NINJA';>

Nov 29, 2005, 5:25:00 PM11/29/05

jethro tull was once interviewed at a zappa concert when asked what he
was doing there he responded learning !

Gary

Nov 29, 2005, 6:07:35 PM11/29/05

jethro himself no fooling!

Mike Espinoza

Nov 29, 2005, 6:15:54 PM11/29/05

By the way, which one's Jethro?
--
Mike E.

Yesterdays Wafflez

Nov 29, 2005, 6:58:33 PM11/29/05
There are many moments on 'Passion Play' and 'Thick As a Brick' that
have Zappa moments.

I'd say Jethro listened to Frank in '73.

Happy Holidays,

Y.W. (no mangina today)

..with the oil of Aphrodite, and the dust of the Grand Wazoo. He said,
"You might not believe this little fella, but it'll cure your asthma
too!"
-fz

http://community.webtv.net/YesterdaysWafflez/StarTrekDeepHole9

pbuzb...@yahoo.com

Nov 29, 2005, 7:55:24 PM11/29/05

Yesterdays Wafflez wrote:
> There are many moments on 'Passion Play' and 'Thick As a Brick' that
> have Zappa moments.
>
> I'd say Jethro listened to Frank in '73.

In fact, Beefheart opened for Tull around that time. One of the clues
for the crossword inside the TAAB "newspaper" reads "What Captain
Beefheart's Willie is doing (7)."

All of them have said good things about FZ, too. Barrie Barlow
mentioned in one interview that he sent Art Tripp a drum set in the
mail in the 80's to try to get him to start playing again.

Pat Buzby
Chicago, IL

Tamara

Nov 29, 2005, 7:56:33 PM11/29/05
On Tue, 29 Nov 2005 16:18:48 -0500, Gary wrote
(in article <1133299128....@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com>):

1-2-Buckle my shoe . . .
Da-Doop Doop Doop Doop Doop Doo-da-Doop
Da-Doop Doop Doop Doop Doop Doop Doop
Da-Doopy Doopy Doopy Doopy Diddly Doopy etc.
Oh no! Oh no-o-o!

Tamara

Clyde200

Nov 29, 2005, 8:11:10 PM11/29/05

> By the way, which one's Jethro?
> --
> Mike E.

The one next to Homer.

Charles Ulrich

Nov 29, 2005, 9:23:29 PM11/29/05
pbuzb...@yahoo.com wrote:

> Yesterdays Wafflez wrote:
> > There are many moments on 'Passion Play' and 'Thick As a Brick' that
> > have Zappa moments.
> >
> > I'd say Jethro listened to Frank in '73.
>
> In fact, Beefheart opened for Tull around that time. One of the clues
> for the crossword inside the TAAB "newspaper" reads "What Captain
> Beefheart's Willie is doing (7)."

What's a seven-letter word for "standing on the porch of the Lido Hotel"?

--Charles

pbuzb...@yahoo.com

Nov 29, 2005, 9:37:54 PM11/29/05

My guess was that the answer was "pimping." But most of the other
clues are so cryptic (e.g. "A capital sort of Derek Small's underwear
(2)") that I doubt the crossword is solvable.

Pat Buzby
Chicago, IL

Dave Wilcher

Nov 29, 2005, 9:39:06 PM11/29/05
Mike Espinoza wrote:

>>> jethro tull was once interviewed at a zappa concert when asked what
>>> he was doing there he responded learning !
>>
>> jethro himself no fooling!
>
> By the way, which one's Jethro?

The one in the pink tights and codpiece?

dave
--
A person who won't read has no advantage over one who can't read.
-Mark Twain

Biffy the Elephant Shrew

Nov 29, 2005, 10:33:28 PM11/29/05
>My guess was that the answer was "pimping." But most of the other
>clues are so cryptic (e.g. "A capital sort of Derek Small's underwear
>(2)") that I doubt the crossword is solvable.

"Pimping" is correct. The crossword is solvable (most of the answers
are scatological), although I am not too sure I see the sense of the
Derek Small answer, which I know is "SU" (initials of "Small's
underwear"?) only because it is formed by the last letters of "anus"
and "erect gnu."

Your pal,
Biffy the Elephant Shrew

Biffy the Elephant Shrew

Nov 29, 2005, 10:34:53 PM11/29/05
Yesterdays Wafflez wrote:

>I'd say Jethro listened to Frank in '73.

Indeed: Ian Anderson has cited _Over-Nite Sensation_ as a favorite
album.

Charles Ulrich

Nov 29, 2005, 10:54:14 PM11/29/05

What's the clue for "erect gnu"?

--Charles

<';.NINJA';>

Nov 30, 2005, 3:57:57 AM11/30/05

obviously i was reffering to ian anderson

some how i always refer to him as jethro tull be the

frontman and all for the band

shoot me now please !

<';.NINJA';>

Nov 30, 2005, 3:58:38 AM11/30/05
On 29 Nov 2005 15:15:54 -0800, "Mike Espinoza" <espi...@yahoo.com>
wrote:

the one between grandma and ellie may

<';.NINJA';>

Nov 30, 2005, 4:01:58 AM11/30/05

well as we all know tull borrowed (cough cough)

their stlye and in particular ian's flute playing from

none other thah the great rahsaan roland kirk

kirk having played with zappa back in 69

i would venture to guess that ian and the band were aware of frank as
early as 67

pbuzb...@yahoo.com

Nov 30, 2005, 11:07:23 AM11/30/05

Biffy the Elephant Shrew wrote:
>The crossword is solvable

Interesting. Has anyone posted a solution online?

Pat Buzby
Chicago, IL

Gary

Nov 30, 2005, 11:26:28 AM11/30/05
<';.NINJA';> wrote:

> i would venture to guess that ian and the band were aware of frank as
> early as 67

Yeah but <cough> what everyone seems to be missing is that I was asking
was FZ influenced by Tull, not th'other way round.

E.g. Loco Breath earlier than PJ people, maybe FZ liked the intro to
that tune and PJ ppl is his own take on it. Yeah it's a long shot,
what else is there these days?

pbuzb...@yahoo.com

Nov 30, 2005, 11:30:43 AM11/30/05

Gary wrote:

> Yeah but <cough> what everyone seems to be missing is that I was asking
> was FZ influenced by Tull, not th'other way round.
>
> E.g. Loco Breath earlier than PJ people, maybe FZ liked the intro to
> that tune and PJ ppl is his own take on it. Yeah it's a long shot,
> what else is there these days?

If FZ knew Tull's music, I don't think he ever mentioned it. IMO, the
intros to both songs are so thoroughly steeped in blues
fundamentals/cliches that I think it's not very likely FZ got the idea
from Tull.

Pat Buzby
Chicago, IL

PirateJohn

Nov 30, 2005, 12:01:12 PM11/30/05
>jethro himself no fooling!

obviously i was reffering to ian anderson <

The *real* Jethro Tull ... and not a musical bone in his body:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/history/historic_figures/tull_jethro.shtm

John Henley

Nov 30, 2005, 3:12:45 PM11/30/05
PirateJohn <Pirat...@aol.com> wrote:

> The *real* Jethro Tull ... and not a musical bone in his body:
>
> http://www.bbc.co.uk/history/historic_figures/tull_jethro.shtm

We have his book, The Horse-Hoeing Husbandry, here at
the UTx Library in multiple copies. One copy is in the open stacks.

JH

Gary

Nov 30, 2005, 4:14:36 PM11/30/05
John Henley wrote:

> We have his book, The Horse-Hoeing Husbandry, here at
> the UTx Library in multiple copies. One copy is in the open stacks.
>
> JH

>From what you can tell, was there any influence of this e.g. on Frank's
gardening methods?

Dave Wilcher

Nov 30, 2005, 4:52:10 PM11/30/05

Susy Creamcheese said he used his seed drill in a very precise manner.

Yesterdays Wafflez

Nov 30, 2005, 5:38:15 PM11/30/05
And Ian was featured in Cat Fancy Magazine for his 2 RARE $1,200.00
breeds.

Now that's expensive pussy!

Happy Holidays!

Y.W. (no mangina today)

Charles Ulrich

Nov 30, 2005, 6:16:13 PM11/30/05
Would you count the fact that Ian Anderson played on the Argentine
release of Imaginario Sandwich Quemado (Burnt Weeny Sandwich)?

--Charles

Les Cargill

Nov 30, 2005, 7:18:35 PM11/30/05
Mike Espinoza wrote:

The one whut's not Uncle Jed. Nyuk!

--
Les Cargill

Gary

Nov 30, 2005, 11:15:17 PM11/30/05

G _ _ R

Gary

The Thingfish

Dec 1, 2005, 6:50:32 AM12/1/05
"Mike Espinoza" <espi...@yahoo.com> wrote in

Jethro Tull (1674-1741) was an agriculturalist in Berkshire England, his,
most notable acheivement was the invention of the seed drill.

I think he meant Ian Anderson said that he was learning.

:-)
TF

Charles Ulrich

Dec 1, 2005, 2:01:29 PM12/1/05
"Gary" <midic...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Charles Ulrich wrote:
> > Would you count the fact that Ian Anderson played on the Argentine
> > release of Imaginario Sandwich Quemado (Burnt Weeny Sandwich)?
>

> G _ _ R

I don't follow.

Is this a four-letter word for "fab"?

--Charles

pbuzb...@yahoo.com

Dec 1, 2005, 2:47:41 PM12/1/05

A Tull "secret word" from the Thick As A Brick newspaper.

Pat Buzby
Chicago, IL

Gary

Dec 1, 2005, 3:34:30 PM12/1/05

It could be - as it was the secret word that caused such an uproar at
the poetry contest alluded to on "Thick as a Brick", and until
recently I had NO idea at all what it could mean.

pbuzb...@yahoo.com

Dec 1, 2005, 4:08:58 PM12/1/05

Gary wrote:
> It could be - as it was the secret word that caused such an uproar at
> the poetry contest alluded to on "Thick as a Brick", and until
> recently I had NO idea at all what it could mean.

So you know now? Do tell. (I guess I should be checking Tull forums
more often...)

Pat Buzby
Chicago, IL

Tom Yost

Dec 1, 2005, 5:04:39 PM12/1/05

Memories of reading the TAAB newpaper come flooding back. My vinyl
copy disappeared long ago.

Is the newspaper reproduced or even readable in the CD ?

Tom

Joachim Ott

Dec 1, 2005, 5:44:33 PM12/1/05
Tamara herself has written:

> 1-2-Buckle my shoe . . .
> Da-Doop Doop Doop Doop Doop Doo-da-Doop
> Da-Doop Doop Doop Doop Doop Doop Doop
> Da-Doopy Doopy Doopy Doopy Diddly Doopy etc.
> Oh no! Oh no-o-o!

Okay Tamara, where is five?

Gary

Dec 1, 2005, 11:33:23 PM12/1/05

Several possible answers are : "Gear", or, <cough> "Geir".

Tamara

Dec 2, 2005, 1:02:01 PM12/2/05
On Thu, 1 Dec 2005 17:44:33 -0500, Joachim Ott wrote
(in article <1133477073.0...@g43g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>):

Five? five of what?
Are we playing five card stud here?

Tamara

David Z

Dec 4, 2005, 5:39:12 PM12/4/05
<pbuzb...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> If FZ knew Tull's music, I don't think he ever mentioned it.

I recall reading an interview in about late 1972 in which Frank was
asked which rock groups were doing creative things. Frank's response
was Jethro Tull and Traffic. I don't remember what magazine the
interview appeared in, but I suspect it was Rolling Stone.

Kevin C. McDonald

Dec 11, 2005, 11:28:38 AM12/11/05
On 29 Nov 2005 13:18:48 -0800, "Gary" <midic...@yahoo.com> wrote:

>Not bloody likely, but just think about the bluesy guitar/piano intros
>to:
>
>Locomotive Breath
>Po-Jama People.
>
>hmmmmm!!!!

Skating Away and One Brown Mouse are the two most underappreciated
songs outside of the Frank Zappa ouvre.

That's right, "ouvre,"
KCM

Dave Wilcher

Dec 11, 2005, 12:11:00 PM12/11/05
Kevin C. McDonald wrote:

> Skating Away and One Brown Mouse are the two most underappreciated
> songs outside of the Frank Zappa ouvre.
>
> That's right, "ouvre,"

You canta fool us-a.. Zappa no had no ouvries.

Chico

pbuzb...@yahoo.com

Dec 11, 2005, 1:10:33 PM12/11/05

Dave Wilcher wrote:
> Kevin C. McDonald wrote:
> >
> > Skating Away and One Brown Mouse are the two most underappreciated
> > songs outside of the Frank Zappa ouvre.
> >
> > That's right, "ouvre,"
>
> You canta fool us-a.. Zappa no had no ouvries.

Zane, zane, zane. Ouvre le chien.

Pat Buzby
Chicago, IL