Ahmet signs $1.5 million film/book deal with Disney/Bruckheimer

Hoodoo

Oct 19, 2005, 4:41:19 AM10/19/05
Disney books kids' stuff from Zappa

Wed Oct 19
Reuters/Hollywood Reporter
http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20051019/film_nm/zappa_dc_1

LOS ANGELES (Hollywood Reporter) - Walt Disney Pictures and Jerry
Bruckheimer Films won a bidding war to buy "The Monstrous Memoirs of a
Mighty McFearless," an upcoming children's book by Ahmet Zappa.

The book follows a brother and sister who discover they belong to a
family of legendary monster hunters and must journey to a far-off
castle to rescue their father from the most fearsome monster of all.
Zappa, a sometime actor and son of rocker Frank Zappa, also created
illustrations for the more than 300 monsters named in the book.

The book, Zappa's first, began in 2003 as a recipe book for kids --
the recipes were for "antidotes" to ward off the monsters -- but
Random House liked what it saw and asked for a chapter book. Random
House will publish it in August.

According to sources, Disney and Bruckheimer beat out Warners, which
was bidding for Heyday Films and Bueller Films, as well as Paramount,
who was bidding for Plan B. Neither Paramount nor Warners responded to
calls for comment.

Bruckheimer and Bruckheimer Films production president Chad Oman met
with Zappa on Monday, with Zappa coming away feeling that, among the
suitors, Bruckheimer would make the journey from page to screen the
fastest.

Sources said the deal is in the seven figures.

==========================

19-OCTOBER-05
http://www.scifi.com/scifiwire2005/index.php?category=0&id=32914

Zappa's Monstrous Snapped Up

Walt Disney Pictures and Jerry Bruckheimer Films have paid $1.5
million for film rights to the unpublished novel Monstrous Memoirs of
a Mighty McFearless by first-time writer Ahmet Zappa, Variety
reported.

The story concerns a young brother and sister who learn their family
is part of a long line of monster hunters. The pair squabble
constantly, but must band together against the most diabolical
creature in the universe, the trade paper reported.

The book is scheduled for publication in August from Random House as a
hardcover, with full-color art. Zappa wrote the story and penned some
300 illustrations.

Amlyn

Oct 19, 2005, 1:18:13 PM10/19/05
Woo-Hoo!

Does this mean that the ZFT will now have enough revenue to be able to
release stuff from the vaults as all the other legends e.g. KK, Hendrix
etc..?

"Hoodoo" <hoo...@spamcop.net> wrote in message

dave

Oct 19, 2005, 2:23:03 PM10/19/05
Amlyn wrote:
> Woo-Hoo!
>
> Does this mean that the ZFT will now have enough revenue to be able to
> release stuff from the vaults as all the other legends e.g. KK, Hendrix
> etc..?

Maybe just the opposite. I could be misreading things, but it sounds
as though they're already using it as justification for postponing the
Dweezil-and-Ahmet-plus-the-few-Zappa-sidemen-we-haven't-alienated-yet
tour. With this movie deal, they don't have to put out a lot of effort
into skweezing some uncertain amount of Dweez-o-bucks out of the Euro
FZ fan base.

If could be that the money rollin' in from the movie will give 'em a
financial cushion that will make them even less likely to put out the
FZ material we've been waiting for.

<';.NINJA';>

Oct 19, 2005, 2:48:42 PM10/19/05
On Wed, 19 Oct 2005 18:18:13 +0100, "Amlyn" <si...@cachuamlyn.f2s.com>
wrote:

are you serious

gail is a millionaire

many times over

John Henley

Oct 19, 2005, 4:38:38 PM10/19/05
dave <chicky...@hotmail.com> wrote:

> If could be that the money rollin' in from the movie will give 'em a
> financial cushion that will make them even less likely to put out the
> FZ material we've been waiting for.

What I'm thinkin', though I probably would have been
more profane about it.

John Henley