Some Time In New York

Antal

Oct 15, 2005, 4:24:00 PM10/15/05
From http://abbeyrd.best.vwh.net/fabnews.htm:

Dear Steve,

the reissues of John Lennon "Some Time in New York" and "Walls And
Bridges" will be released in Germany at November 4th. Since a few
weeks Friday is now our "Releaseday". Otherwise at November 7th.

The tracklisting for "Some time ..." will be:

WOMAN IS THE NIGGER OF THE WORLD
SISTERS O SISTERS
ATTICA STATE
BORN IN A PRISON
NEW YORK CITY
SUNDAY BLOODY SUNDAY
THE LUCK OF THE IRISH
JOHN SINCLAIR
ANGELA
WE'RE ALL WATER
COLD TURKEY (LIVE AT THE LYCEUM BALLROOM, 1969)
DON'T WORRY KYOKO (LIVE AT THE LYCEUM, 1969)
WELL (BABY PLEASE DON'T GO) (LIVE AT THE FILLMORE EAST, 1971)
LISTEN, THE SNOW IS FALLING
HAPPY XMAS (WAR IS OVER)

Yoko decided, "that the Fillmore performance should end here after
this track, without going into the long avant garde improvisation that
followed, led by Frank and I. I wanted John to have the last voice on
the album, spreading his childhood over us.

If you miss the 'freak out'part.just put a microphone to the many
battlefields in the world. You will hear everything - children crying,
guys shouting, and the occasional silence created by the dead." So
Yoko was quoted in a recent press release of Parlophone UK.

For this new single CD, "Listen The Snow is Falling" and "Happy Xmas
(War Is Over) have been added. "Happy Xmas" did not feature on the
original album, although it preceded its release when it was released
as a single, backed with "Listen, The Snow Is Falling" in the US in
1971 and in the UK a year later.

All tracks have been remixed except 'John Sinclair' and 'Attica State'
, which have been remastered.

The tracklisting for "Walls And Bridges" will be:

GOING DOWN ON LOVE
WHATEVER GETS YOU THRU THE NIGHT
OLD DIRT ROAD *
WHAT YOU GOT
BLESS YOU *
SCARED *
#9 DREAM
SURPRISE SURPRISE
STEEL AND GLASS
BEEF JERKY
NOBODY LOVES YOU (WHEN YOU'RE DOWN AND OUT) *
YA YA
+ Bonus tracks

All tracks have been remixed except * which have been re-mastered.

This new edition features three bonus tracks including a live version
of "Whatever Gets You Through The Night" recorded live at Madison Sq
Gardens on November 28, 1974. Two further bonus tracks are; 'Nobody
Loves You (When You're Down and Out)', a previously unreleased
acoustic outtake, and an interview recorded in LA and originally
distributed by the EMI UK sales teams on the b side of a special
pressing of 'Whatever Gets You Thru The Night'.

German speaking readers may have a look at [
http://www.germanbeat.info/sh_walls_cd.html ] for further information.

Cheers,
Sven.

So, could that be a copyrights issue and the two widows not going head to
head?

AA

Mike Espinoza

Oct 15, 2005, 5:09:55 PM10/15/05

Who knows? If there was not already pending litigation from the
original CD release, I have a hard time believing that Gail would
suddenly send her lawyer out because of a remaster job.

I usually don't support revisionist releases like this one, but I make
an exception here. STINYC has always been a bastard of an album and
what Spector/Lennon/Ono did to the Fillmore side was a travesty. The
Live Jam disc was supposed to be a bonus disc, but when it was
released as a double CD, it was priced as such. Since Playground
Psychotics has a better representation of this material (minus King
Kong), this frees up Yoko to change a bad, overpriced double CD to a
semi-decent single disc. It will certainly make it more attractive to
Lennon newbies.

Purists, of course, will balk, but I say good riddance to a bad mix.
--
Mike E.