Rykodisc Zappa CDs discontinued?

Jawaka

Sep 28, 2009, 1:05:20 PM9/28/09
I was out on Amazon.com today and noticed several of FZ's CD listed
"This item has been discontinued by the manufacturer." including
Apostrophe (')!

Any ideas?

Bill

Sep 28, 2009, 1:25:16 PM9/28/09
In article
<d7d5cd2f-5938-4407...@g23g2000vbr.googlegroups.com>,
Jawaka <mark...@comcast.net> wrote:

Hmm.

FZ doesn't show up on the artist list at http://www.rykodisc.com/artists/

A search at the site only lists from news releases in 2005 about
Japanese imports.

I also don't see him at http://www.warnerbrosrecords.com
(WB bought Ryko) or http://www.rhino.com (WB also bought Rhino, and it
could have been possible for them to take the Zappa catalog and transfer
it to this label). The last relevant news at Billboard.com is about
Lumpy Money and nothing about the catalog reverting to the Zappas.

Bill

--
Bill

Bill

Sep 28, 2009, 1:38:39 PM9/28/09
In article
<billflynn-9B857...@feeder.eternal-september.org>,
Bill <bill...@invalid.invalid> wrote:

I was 5 years too soon in my prediction. :^)

<http://groups.google.com/group/alt.fan.frank-zappa/browse_thread/thread/
c82648e4d98fce44?hl=en#>

--
Bill

The old geezer

Sep 30, 2009, 3:30:58 PM9/30/09

Man, if you ain't bought any FZ cds you want by now....what are you
waiting for???

Plus, why would Generation Y want to buy some "music" by some long
haired bearded weirdo singing about people, things, & places from 45
years ago that no one cares about anymore. That would be akin to the
Hippies of the 1960's buying a album full of tunes from the World War
I era. Get the picture? Honestly, why would Ryko want to keep this
dud catalog?

TOG

ND: Drambuie & Milwaukees' Best Ice Light Beer
NP: Tommy James & The Shondells - Best Of..
NS: Kentucky Cheroots

George Orwell

Sep 30, 2009, 5:53:32 PM9/30/09
In article <c55909b8-6603-4171-805e-
a723cb...@o9g2000prg.googlegroups.com>
The old geezer <JY...@aol.com> wrote:

> On Sep 28, 1:05=A0pm, Jawaka <mark-m...@comcast.net> wrote:
> > I was out on Amazon.com today and noticed several of FZ's CD listed
> > "This item has been discontinued by the manufacturer." including
> > Apostrophe (')!
> >
> > Any ideas?

> Man, if you ain't bought any FZ cds you want by now....what are you
> waiting for???
>
> Plus, why would Generation Y want to buy some "music" by some long
> haired bearded weirdo singing about people, things, & places from 45
> years ago that no one cares about anymore. That would be akin to the
> Hippies of the 1960's buying a album full of tunes from the World War
> I era. Get the picture? Honestly, why would Ryko want to keep this
> dud catalog?
>
> TOG

Man, you're brutal.
The truth hurts!

https://www.mixmaster.it

mysteryroach

Oct 1, 2009, 9:05:50 AM10/1/09

> TOG
>
> ND: Drambuie & Milwaukees' Best Ice Light Beer

i take back what i said about being impressed by your choice of
beers! :)

The old geezer

Oct 1, 2009, 3:53:03 PM10/1/09

It was left over in the back of the ice box from a summer cookout.
One of the neighbors brought it. I was out of beer so......any port
in a storm.
And why do you think I wuz mixing it with Drambuie?????

The old geezer

ND: Saranac Irish Red
NP: Autumn Leaves - Frank Sinatra

Martin Gregorie

Oct 1, 2009, 7:44:14 PM10/1/09
On Wed, 30 Sep 2009 12:30:58 -0700, The old geezer wrote:

> ND: Drambuie & Milwaukees' Best Ice Light Beer

What a waste of a semi-decent whisky. (Talisker is currently my No 1).

Having just spent a convivial evening on well-kept Courage's Best Bitter
served on gravity I won't even try to comment on the awfulness of any Ice
Light beer.

The only beer that's given room space in my fridge is Urquell Pils.

--
martin@ | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. | Essex, UK

The old geezer

Oct 1, 2009, 8:45:00 PM10/1/09
On Oct 1, 7:44�pm, Martin Gregorie <mar...@address-in-sig.invalid>
wrote:

> On Wed, 30 Sep 2009 12:30:58 -0700, The old geezer wrote:
> > ND: Drambuie & Milwaukees' Best Ice Light Beer
>
> What a waste of a semi-decent whisky. (Talisker is currently my No 1).
>
> Having just spent a convivial evening on well-kept Courage's Best Bitter
> served on gravity I won't even try to comment on the awfulness of any Ice
> Light beer.
>
> The only beer that's given room space in my fridge is Urquell Pils.

I'll have to go to the "Beers Of The World" Import Store here in town
& pick up some this weekend on your recommendation.

TOG

Charles Ulrich

Oct 1, 2009, 9:45:37 PM10/1/09
In article
<9acee7d0-a4c5-4131...@y36g2000yqh.googlegroups.com>,

The old geezer <JY...@aol.com> wrote:

> On Oct 1, 7:44?pm, Martin Gregorie <mar...@address-in-sig.invalid>

> wrote:
> >
> > The only beer that's given room space in my fridge is Urquell Pils.
>
> I'll have to go to the "Beers Of The World" Import Store here in town
> & pick up some this weekend on your recommendation.

I may have misinterpreted Martin, but I didn't take his statement to
mean that Urquell is the only beer he drinks, just that it's the only
beer he refrigerates.

--Charles

Martin Gregorie

Oct 2, 2009, 5:15:07 AM10/2/09

Its an unqualified recommendation. Quite simply, its the best pilsener
beer available here, which you'd expect since its not only a Czech beer,
but brewed in Plzen, the town that gave its name to that style on beer.

OTOH at the pub I drink a bitter or an IPA for preference. A well-kept
English bitter, served just below room temperature direct from the
barrel, which is what 'on gravity' means over here, is about the best
there is.

Courage's Best isn't the most highly regarded beer[*] but the landlord in
my local keeps it really well and has a rather toothsome daughter.

Round here the best local beers would be the Milton Brewery's Pegasus,
Greene King's Abbot Ale and Maldon Gold. My local stocks the latter.

mysteryroach

Oct 2, 2009, 9:13:36 AM10/2/09

i was just kidding. i've never met a beer that i didn't like, but some
i liked more than others (delerium nocturnum > anybodies rasberry
wheat).

Strictly Commercial

Oct 2, 2009, 12:22:08 PM10/2/09
Martin Gregorie wrote:
>>> I'll have to go to the "Beers Of The World" Import Store here in town &
>>> pick up some this weekend on your recommendation.
>> I may have misinterpreted Martin, but I didn't take his statement to
>> mean that Urquell is the only beer he drinks, just that it's the only
>> beer he refrigerates.
>>
> Its an unqualified recommendation. Quite simply, its the best pilsener
> beer available here, which you'd expect since its not only a Czech beer,
> but brewed in Plzen, the town that gave its name to that style on beer.

And if your Ralph's doesn't stock Urquel (which has a bit more bite than
I like), there are some pretty good alternatives: Bittburger Pils from
Germany comes to mind, and of course has an FZ connection. Also, Veltins
(Germany) and Tsingtao (China!) are other favourites of mine. And not to
forget Beck's. Mmm.

Rolf

mysteryroach

Oct 2, 2009, 12:44:35 PM10/2/09

around here (michigan) the pilsner urquel, as well as the tsing tao,
comes in green bottles which usually means skunky flavor. i've had the
tsing tao in china and found it an excellent brew. over here, however,
it's not the same. i try to stay away from anything in a green
bottle.they also don't take green glass for re-cycling around here. my
favorite pils is the one brewed by lagunitas, of zappa brew fame.

Martin Gregorie

Oct 2, 2009, 8:59:30 PM10/2/09
On Fri, 02 Oct 2009 09:44:35 -0700, mysteryroach wrote:

> around here (michigan) the pilsner urquel, as well as the tsing tao,
> comes in green bottles which usually means skunky flavor. i've had the
> tsing tao in china and found it an excellent brew. over here, however,
> it's not the same. i try to stay away from anything in a green
> bottle.they also don't take green glass for re-cycling around here. my
> favorite pils is the one brewed by lagunitas, of zappa brew fame.

Are you sure that the MI Tsing Tao wasn't made locally under licence?
That writing can be very tiny. Quite a lot of decent Australian and
European beers, which are good stuff where they originate, are made under
license here and taste like rancid piss.

Coors do that: Their Killians Red is actually Pelforth's Biere Russe,
from Alsace France, and made under license in Golden CO but I must admit
that the Coors version is remarkable similar to the French stuff but then
again I don't really like French beer except for Kanterbrau.

Strictly Commercial

Oct 2, 2009, 9:29:16 PM10/2/09
Martin Gregorie wrote:
> Coors do that: Their Killians Red is actually Pelforth's Biere Russe,
> from Alsace France, and made under license in Golden CO but I must admit
> that the Coors version is remarkable similar to the French stuff but then
> again I don't really like French beer except for Kanterbrau.

"French beer" is an interesting concept.

Rollo

Piper

Oct 2, 2009, 11:59:32 PM10/2/09
Strictly Commercial wrote:

I observe that beer is a MUCH more popular topic in this group than
Zappa CDs.

Corné van Hooijdonk

Oct 3, 2009, 4:38:43 AM10/3/09
Piper schreef:
Wino's don't march.

Martin Gregorie

Oct 3, 2009, 9:25:06 AM10/3/09
On Sat, 03 Oct 2009 01:29:16 +0000, Strictly Commercial wrote:

> "French beer" is an interesting concept.

It mostly comes from NE France, i.e. along the Belgian and German
borders. Kanterbrau, for one comes from Alsace, which has periodically
swapped ownership between France and Germany. That may have affected the
skills of the local brewerys. The regional food also reflects this.

Alsace is also the source of some excellent white wines, especially
Gewurtztraminers and Reislings.

eelco janzen

Oct 3, 2009, 9:49:17 AM10/3/09
Martin Gregorie wrote:
> On Sat, 03 Oct 2009 01:29:16 +0000, Strictly Commercial wrote:
>
>> "French beer" is an interesting concept.
>>
> It mostly comes from NE France, i.e. along the Belgian and German
> borders. Kanterbrau, for one comes from Alsace, which has periodically
> swapped ownership between France and Germany. That may have affected the
> skills of the local brewerys. The regional food also reflects this.
>
> Alsace is also the source of some excellent white wines, especially
> Gewurztraminers and Rieslings.

Absolutely ! My favorite white wines !!
Go nice with sauerkraut !!
eelco

Bill

Oct 4, 2009, 12:45:45 AM10/4/09

Looking at Amazon (US), using Apostrophe cd's as an example, I see the
following -

1. Apostrophe (') by Frank Zappa (Audio CD - 1995)

This item has been discontinued by the manufacturer.

2. Apostrophe (') by Frank Zappa (Audio CD - 1996) - Gold CD

This item has been discontinued by the manufacturer.

3. Apostrophe (') by Frank Zappa & the Mother (Audio CD - 2008) - Import
Not in stock; order now and we'll deliver when available

4. Apostrophe/Overnite Sensation by Frank Zappa (Audio CD)

5. Apostrophe (') by Frank Zappa (Audio CD - 1990)

This item has been discontinued by the manufacturer.

6. Apostrophe (') by Frank Zappa (Audio CD - 2005) - Import

This item has been discontinued by the manufacturer.

7. Apostrophe (') by Frank Zappa (Audio CD - 1991)

This item has been discontinued by the manufacturer.

8. Apostrophe (Liimited Edition Japanese Mini LP Sleeve CD) by Frank
Zappa (Audio CD - 2005) - Import

This item has been discontinued by the manufacturer.

Looking more closely on each product page, what labels does Amazon have
these CDs listed under?

1. Zappa Records
2. Rykodisc
3. Phantom Sound & Vision
4. Ryko
5. Rykodisc
6. Zappa Records
7. Rykodisc
8. Rykodisc

Oddly, I don't see a 1995 Rykodisc edition listed.

Also, I don't see the Apostrophe disc unavailable at CD Universe, Best
Buy or Borders on line.

OK, let's look at the first item on the list, that although is listed as
unavailable, is being offered by 31 sellers. - 20 of these sellers are
offering this item new from $10.56. I note that European sellers are
charging much more.

Out of curiosity, I went over the the Amazon UK site. the 1995 edition
of Apostrophe they list as being unavailable is under the Columbia
label; which makes sense if Warner Music is handling distribution after
their purchase of Ryko. The Rykodisc edition is still available and for
a reasonable price (so it appears not to be the Japanese import),
although they have it listed as being released in 2002.

So, I'm leaning towards it being a mix-up in Amazon's database for the
Zappa catalog rather than the item being discontinued by Rykodisc. I
might be wrong.

--
Bill

Bill

Oct 4, 2009, 12:47:50 AM10/4/09
In article
<billflynn-EAF7F...@feeder.eternal-september.org>,
Bill <bill...@invalid.invalid> wrote:

> In article
> <d7d5cd2f-5938-4407...@g23g2000vbr.googlegroups.com>,
> Jawaka <mark...@comcast.net> wrote:
>
> > I was out on Amazon.com today and noticed several of FZ's CD listed
> > "This item has been discontinued by the manufacturer." including
> > Apostrophe (')!
> >
> > Any ideas?

> Looking at Amazon (US), using Apostrophe cd's as an example, I see the
> following -

<snip>

> So, I'm leaning towards it being a mix-up in Amazon's database for the
> Zappa catalog rather than the item being discontinued by Rykodisc. I
> might be wrong.

I think that the best argument towards my being wrong here is Zappa' s
absence from the Rykodisc web page.

--
Bill

The old geezer

Oct 4, 2009, 6:48:19 AM10/4/09
On Oct 4, 12:45�am, Bill <billfl...@invalid.invalid> wrote:
> > I was out on Amazon.com today and noticed several of FZ's CD listed
> > "This item has been discontinued by the manufacturer." including
> > Apostrophe (')!
>
> Looking at Amazon (US), using Apostrophe cd's as an example, I see the
> following -
>
> 1. Apostrophe (') by Frank Zappa (Audio CD - 1995)
> This item has been discontinued by the manufacturer.

So....what's this got to do with beer?????

TOG

Bill

Oct 4, 2009, 7:13:23 AM10/4/09
In article
<285e1bb3-46a8-4ced...@v20g2000vbs.googlegroups.com>,

The old geezer <JY...@aol.com> wrote:

Writing about beer is like dancing about architecture.

--
Bill

Martin Gregorie

Oct 4, 2009, 2:08:17 PM10/4/09

Not a lot - but BBC Radio 4's Food Program series broadcast a good piece
about hops this lunchtime: http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00mz6pr

Listen to it if its available outside the UK (quite a lot of programs
aren't), but even if it isn't, the links on that page are interesting. I
know Shepherd Neame's beer and I'm going to be looking out for some
BrewDog beer: apart from anything else, they sell an IPA that's aged in
wooden barrels at sea and their Tokyo stout (18.2%) is designed to be
drunk like a port after a good meal.

Biffy the Elephant Shrew

Oct 4, 2009, 4:30:44 PM10/4/09
On Oct 3, 9:47 pm, Bill <billfl...@invalid.invalid> wrote:

> I think that the best argument towards my being wrong here is Zappa' s
> absence from the Rykodisc web page.

Also, Amazon isn't the only dealer out of stock on the Ryko Zappa
titles. CD Universe has a few left, but most of them are listed as
"backordered." Tower.com also has a few in stock, but most are listed
as "Ships in 3 to 5 weeks," which I suspect is a euphemism for "well,
we've always been able to get them before."

Your pal,
Biffy the Elephant Shrew

The old geezer

Oct 4, 2009, 5:21:48 PM10/4/09
On Oct 4, 4:30�pm, Biffy the Elephant Shrew <biffysh...@aol.com>
wrote:

>.
>
> Also, Amazon isn't the only dealer out of stock on the Ryko Zappa
> titles. CD Universe has a few left, but most of them are listed as
> "backordered." Tower.com also has a few in stock, but most are listed
> as "Ships in 3 to 5 weeks," which I suspect is a euphemism for "well,
> we've always been able to get them before."

I Repeat:

Why would Generation Y want to buy some "music" by some long

haired bearded weirdo singing about people, things, & places from 45
years ago that no one cares about anymore. That would be akin to the
Hippies of the 1960's buying a album full of tunes from the World War
I era. Get the picture? Honestly, why would Ryko want to keep this
dud catalog?

AND.......ZFT has really done NOTHING to help the situation. As I've
stated before (10 years ago) ZFT NEEDS to hire a REAL GOOD Marketing
Manager!!!!!!!!!!!! Try & purchase a FZ T shirt. Perhaps you can
find one on line somewhere. But you can buy a Jimi Hendrix, Grateful
Dead or AC/DC T Shirt at Target or K Mart.

The old geezer

ND: Sierra Nevada Celebration Ale
NW: The Crappy Buffalo Bills lose to the Fish

Bill

Oct 4, 2009, 10:29:48 PM10/4/09
In article
<e4911639-1e24-4c86...@o9g2000prg.googlegroups.com>,

Thanks for looking at more cds, Biffy. I looked at Apostrophe under the
assumption that if they were running out of stock, it would be on one of
the better selling catalog items. I probably should have also considered
that more of the better selling items were manufactured and so there
might be more inventory.

Bill

--
Bill

Bill

Nov 11, 2009, 6:46:41 AM11/11/09
In article
<d7d5cd2f-5938-4407...@g23g2000vbr.googlegroups.com>,
Jawaka <mark...@comcast.net> wrote:

> I was out on Amazon.com today and noticed several of FZ's CD listed
> "This item has been discontinued by the manufacturer." including
> Apostrophe (')!
>

> Any ideas?

CD Universe now shows Yellow Shark and Them or Us to be available on
November 17, 2009.

--
Bill

computeruser

Nov 11, 2009, 11:30:10 AM11/11/09
On Nov 11, 6:46 am, Bill <billfl...@invalid.invalid> wrote:
> In article
> <d7d5cd2f-5938-4407-9fcd-56b57d552...@g23g2000vbr.googlegroups.com>,

>  Jawaka <mark-m...@comcast.net> wrote:
> > I was out on Amazon.com today and noticed several of FZ's CD listed
> > "This item has been discontinued by the manufacturer." including
> > Apostrophe (')!
>
> > Any ideas?

> CD Universe now shows Yellow Shark and Them or Us to be available on
> November 17, 2009.
>
> --
> Bill

I am a bit surprised that these two titles wouldn't be pressed to
order. I wouldn't imagine the demand being there; to demand a large
production run. How many CDs, do you think these record companies
press at a time these days?