just like Sly Stone said

Charles Ulrich

Dec 20, 2011, 6:21:47 PM12/20/11
Mark Volman regularly mentioned Sly Stone in fall 1971 performances of
The Mud Shark. Here's my best attempt at transcribing what he says in
each of the circulating Mud Shark dance lessons.

10/6/71 Boston: Now just like Sly Stone said, we have to all be
together, right?

10/11/71 New York: It's kinda like Sly Stone says, you gotta do it
together to do anything at all, you know what I mean?

10/13/71 Toronto: And we gotta get soul, just like Sly said, we gotta do
things together if we're gonna do it at all.

11/19/71 Stockholm: There's three steps to the basic mud shark, and
we're gonna teach you so you can do it at home when you've got the
record. Because, like Sly says, you gotta do it together if you're gonna
do it at all.

11/24/71 Berlin: Now this is a thing called spawning. We've adapted it
to our own style, you know? Just like Sly Stone said, you gotta do it
together now. [?]

When I heard this on Carnegie Hall, I thought Mark was alluding to the
line "We gotta live together" in Sly's Everyday People. However, after
listening to all five versions, I can't help wondering if he's alluding
to a line in some other Sly Stone song.

As far as I can tell, Mark never says "live together" as in Everyday
People.

Usually he says "do it together". And often he also says "do
{it/anything} at all". Neither of these phrases occurs in Everyday
People.

So what is Mark alluding to? Everyday People or some other Sly Stone
song?

Thanks for any help you can provide.

--Charles

The old geezer

Dec 20, 2011, 8:07:12 PM12/20/11
On Dec 20, 6:21 pm, Charles Ulrich <ulr...@sfu.ca> wrote:

> So what is Mark alluding to? Everyday People or some other Sly Stone
> song?
>
> Thanks for any help you can provide..................

"Duhhhhhhhhhhhh............"

The old geezer

ND: Sierra Nevada Celebration Ale & Rebel Yell Kentucky Straight
Bourbon Whiskey
NP: Slow Time - Patrick O'Hearn

marc rosen

Dec 20, 2011, 9:09:35 PM12/20/11
It's been a long time since I listened to any Sylvester Stone so I
can't recall much of what he did. Just a wild guess, but do you think
Mark is refferring to Everyday People but ad-libbing it? Perhaps
inferring "do it together" to mean having sex, or that Sly was too
bashful to make that inferrence more blatant?
Let me take this a bit farther. The only Mark and Howard versions of
Call Any Vegetable I have heard are on the Band From LA album and
Carnegie. They substitute "joint" for "hand" each time. And a lot of
their banter is sexual in context. So "doing it together could just
be Mark making a sexual referrence at Sly Stone's expense. (Not that
Sly would be upset by it , of course.)
Getting back to Call any Vegetable, was "joint" used more than these
two times when the band played this tune?

Marc

Milhouse G

Dec 20, 2011, 9:30:00 PM12/20/11
I thought this was in reference to the little rap Sly delivers
encouraging audience participation in "I Want to Take You Higher" in the
"Woodstock" film, but it's been so long since I've seen that, I can't be
certain.

--
Milhouse

Charles Ulrich

Dec 20, 2011, 9:38:44 PM12/20/11
In article
<8e280a38-0df6-4836...@n6g2000vbz.googlegroups.com>,
marc rosen <duck...@qis.net> wrote:

> It's been a long time since I listened to any Sylvester Stone so I
> can't recall much of what he did. Just a wild guess, but do you think
> Mark is refferring to Everyday People but ad-libbing it?

That's what I thought on the basis of Carnegie Hall. But seeing how
similarly he phrased it on four other occasions made me wonder if there
wasn't some other song that he was paraphrasing more closely.

> Let me take this a bit farther. The only Mark and Howard versions of
> Call Any Vegetable I have heard are on the Band From LA album and
> Carnegie. They substitute "joint" for "hand" each time.

> Getting back to Call any Vegetable, was "joint" used more than these
> two times when the band played this tune?

It wasn't even their innovation. FZ and Ray Collins sang it that way in
May 1970.

But, yes, Flo & Eddie regularly sang "joint".

--Charles

Charles Ulrich

Dec 20, 2011, 10:10:37 PM12/20/11
In article <9lculd...@mid.individual.net>,
Milhouse G <Milhou...@gmail.comGOSPAMYERSELF> wrote:

> I thought this was in reference to the little rap Sly delivers
> encouraging audience participation in "I Want to Take You Higher" in the
> "Woodstock" film, but it's been so long since I've seen that, I can't be
> certain.

Thanks for the tip.

I found it on youtube <http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Ig-6f0g55c>.

At Woodstock Sly said, "What we would like to do is sing a song
together."

The phrasing still doesn't match Mark's. But I'd say this is a more
likely candidate than Everyday People for what Mark was alluding
to--since the context is the same: encouraging audience participation.

Note also:

Sly at Woodstock: "It'll do you no harm."

FZ at Carnegie Hall: "And it won't hurt you."

--Charles

ttuerff

Dec 21, 2011, 4:39:44 PM12/21/11
On Dec 20, 8:10 pm, Charles Ulrich <ulr...@sfu.ca> wrote:
> In article <9lculdFvi...@mid.individual.net>,
Which leads me to wonder -- how many concerts did that band do where
they mentioned Alice Cooper? I noticed he got a nod on "Carnegie Hall"
even though they don't do the groupie routine.

TT