Frank Filipetti and mixing 1974 Zappa Concert

1 view

Bill

Mar 29, 2006, 6:29:56 AM3/29/06

Bill

Mar 29, 2006, 6:32:44 AM3/29/06

pbuzb...@yahoo.com

Mar 29, 2006, 9:52:44 AM3/29/06

Bill wrote:

Interesting. Could someone be so kind as to post a summary of what he
says here? (Although I suppose it wouldn't kill me to wait until 8:30
PM tonight to hear it...)

Pat Buzby
Chicago, IL

chicky...@gmail.com

Mar 29, 2006, 12:09:01 PM3/29/06

pbuzb...@yahoo.com wrote:

> Interesting. Could someone be so kind as to post a summary of what he
> says here? (Although I suppose it wouldn't kill me to wait until 8:30
> PM tonight to hear it...)

Not a whole lot. He's been mixing a surround sound version
of an unspecified 1974 Zappa concert that he says was from the
end of the Mothers Of Invention period that began in 1965,
and this band is a 6 piece that includes George, Napoleon,
Ruth and Tom, and he compares Zappa to Einstein.

pbuzb...@yahoo.com

Mar 29, 2006, 12:30:46 PM3/29/06

chicky...@gmail.com wrote:

> Not a whole lot. He's been mixing a surround sound version
> of an unspecified 1974 Zappa concert that he says was from the
> end of the Mothers Of Invention period that began in 1965,
> and this band is a 6 piece that includes George, Napoleon,
> Ruth and Tom, and he compares Zappa to Einstein.

Thanks. Hmm...so there is more on multitrack from this lineup aside
from the KCET TV recordings and Helsinki?

Pat Buzby
Chicago, IL

Charles Ulrich

Mar 29, 2006, 3:54:14 PM3/29/06
In article <1143653446....@u72g2000cwu.googlegroups.com>,
pbuzb...@yahoo.com wrote:

I figured he was doing the surround version of the KCET recording.

In the interview, he mentions that

> The Zappa concert took place over two nights and totaled 16 Nuendo
> sessions (tape reels).

Were there two nights at the KCET studios? If not, maybe this refers to
Helsinki, which was two nights (plus an afternoon).

Or maybe it was the two shows from 11/8/74 Passaic. (Freak me out,
Frank. Freak me out.)

--Charles

pbuzb...@yahoo.com

Mar 29, 2006, 4:29:01 PM3/29/06

Charles Ulrich wrote:
> Or maybe it was the two shows from 11/8/74 Passaic. (Freak me out,
> Frank. Freak me out.)

I'd like that, too, but according to YCDTOSA the Passaic tapes were
4-track, and the engineer mentions that these tapes were 16-track.

Pat Buzby
Chicago, IL

pbuzb...@yahoo.com

Mar 29, 2006, 5:04:35 PM3/29/06

Charles Ulrich wrote:

> > The Zappa concert took place over two nights and totaled 16 Nuendo
> > sessions (tape reels).
>
> Were there two nights at the KCET studios? If not, maybe this refers to
> Helsinki, which was two nights (plus an afternoon).

According to the Gig List, they may have spent two nights at KCET. The
other two-night runs mentioned are Helsinki, Paris and...Naperville.

Pat Buzby
Chicago, IL

Charles Ulrich

Mar 29, 2006, 5:09:57 PM3/29/06
In article <ulrich-BC82D1.12552829032006@shawnews>,
Charles Ulrich <ulr...@sfu.ca> wrote:

> In article <1143653446....@u72g2000cwu.googlegroups.com>,
> pbuzb...@yahoo.com wrote:
>
> > chicky...@gmail.com wrote:
> >
> > > Not a whole lot. He's been mixing a surround sound version
> > > of an unspecified 1974 Zappa concert that he says was from the
> > > end of the Mothers Of Invention period that began in 1965,
> > > and this band is a 6 piece that includes George, Napoleon,
> > > Ruth and Tom, and he compares Zappa to Einstein.
> >
> > Thanks. Hmm...so there is more on multitrack from this lineup aside
> > from the KCET TV recordings and Helsinki?
>
> I figured he was doing the surround version of the KCET recording.

I just picked up the new issue of Relix, wherein Gail explicitly states
"we turned over the 1974 KCET concert to Frank Filipetti."

--Charles

Charles Ulrich

Mar 29, 2006, 5:11:13 PM3/29/06
In article <1143669875....@u72g2000cwu.googlegroups.com>,
pbuzb...@yahoo.com wrote:

Yeah, but Filipetti mentioned Tom [Fowler], so I figured it couldn't be
Naperville.

Anyway, it's definitely KCET.

--Charles

Dan Buxbaum

Apr 2, 2006, 3:46:38 PM4/2/06
Charles Ulrich wrote:

> I just picked up the new issue of Relix, wherein Gail explicitly states
> "we turned over the 1974 KCET concert to Frank Filipetti."

Reading this just gave me a big old boner!

Hmmm, assuming this is for a dvd release, right?

--
n.p.: The Jazz Messengers featuring Art Blakey- Ritual (featuring a
young Jackie McLean, RIP)