What is the meaning of RDNZL?

Mighty Little

Oct 17, 2008, 10:25:48 AM10/17/08
Does anybody know what RDNZL means? Is it an abbreviation for something?

Frunobulax

Oct 17, 2008, 10:30:31 AM10/17/08
Conventional wisdom has it that it is in reference to the letters/
numbers you might see in an automatic car.

You know, Reverse, Drive, Neutral, 2, and Low.

If you search this group and or the web, you'll find a number of
conversations regarding this.

The old geezer

Oct 17, 2008, 11:01:40 AM10/17/08

SWLABR...????

TOG

Frunobulax

Oct 17, 2008, 11:42:33 AM10/17/08
"She Was Like A Bearded Rainbow" (thank gawd for Google)

Which gives us the potential that RDNZL might stand for something
else, such as "Rub Dan's Naked Zebra Lips".

(for a long time I thought RDNZL was an allusion to how many times FZ
had revised the piece, mixed with the similar sounding fairy tale name
Rapunzel; "Redone-zel")

ttuerff

Oct 17, 2008, 11:53:40 AM10/17/08

I always thought it was a Rapunzel pun, too, until somebody here years
ago revealed the car connection, which makes perfect sense.

TT

Gary

Oct 17, 2008, 1:16:37 PM10/17/08
On Oct 17, 8:53 am, ttuerff <ttue...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I always thought it was a Rapunzel pun, too, until somebody here years
> ago revealed the car connection, which makes perfect sense.
>
> TT

Its continuity ex
ists on several
simultaneous levels.

Yesterdays Wafflez

Oct 17, 2008, 4:09:17 PM10/17/08
I used to think of it as a Repunzl relation too. Just for the heck of
it (slow day) I put on George Pal's Puppetoons of Repunzel & played
RDNZL along with it....Yikes!! Totally cool & magical! It's that
Bickford stop-motion look & Zappa music...very cool.

thanz,
Yesterdays Stop-Motion Freak

John Scialli

Oct 17, 2008, 11:43:33 PM10/17/08
On Fri, 17 Oct 2008 08:53:40 -0700 (PDT), ttuerff <ttu...@gmail.com>
wrote:

And it was (is) the vanity license plate of the car Frank never drove.
I seen it.

Diogenes

Oct 17, 2008, 6:57:46 PM10/17/08
Mighty Little wrote:
> Does anybody know what RDNZL means? Is it an abbreviation for something?

a dyslexic view of an automatic transmission shift pattern.

Les Cargill

Oct 18, 2008, 11:14:51 AM10/18/08

I thought it was Ruth Don't Need Zappa's Lyrics.

(on Ruth! Yes Ruth! Haha!)

--
Les Cargill

Martin Gregorie

Oct 18, 2008, 1:13:01 PM10/18/08

...but with P(ark) missing. I prefer the Redunzel theory because of this.
In addition FZ was apparently so uninterested in driving that its hard to
see that he'd remember "PRND21" let alone be inspired to munge it and use
the result as a song title.

--
martin@ | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. | Essex, UK

computeruser

Oct 18, 2008, 7:28:50 PM10/18/08

"Martin Gregorie" <mar...@see.sig.for.address.invalid> wrote in message

I was in a Desoto recently (being restore at a buddy's shop)

It had no Park on the tree.

Diogenes

Oct 18, 2008, 9:39:09 PM10/18/08
That would be a Powerflite transmission.

Frunobulax

Oct 18, 2008, 10:11:27 PM10/18/08
> FZ was apparently so uninterested in driving that its hard to
> see that he'd remember "PRND21" let alone be inspired to munge it and use
> the result as a song title.

I disagree for the fact that FZ was a freaking font of knowledge in a
lot of areas in which he professed little interest. For example, he
claimed to find reading boring yet his vocabulary was astounding for a
person so inclined.

Given his obvious interest in words - both real and made up - I find
it highly likely that one of his first thoughts upon seeing
"PRND2L" (or any variations thereof) was to attempt to vocalize it.
And he wouldn't have to have been driving to see it - I noticed and
stared in fascination at all manner of lights, letters, and numbers in
the various cars I was shuttled around in as a kid. I'm sure FZ has
numerous opportunities to look and wonder at them as well, whether
behind the wheel or not.

As I said above, I always assumed that it was a play on Rapunzel (and
I'm sure it still is, to some degree) but, upon hearing the automatic
gearshift theory, I smacked my forehead and said: "Of course!"

I think the evidence, while circumstantial, is strong enough to make
the case.

Gads, what nerds we are ...

Martin Gregorie

Oct 19, 2008, 6:29:31 AM10/19/08
On Sat, 18 Oct 2008 21:39:09 -0400, Diogenes wrote:

> That would be a Powerflite transmission.

I'd heard of it but didn't know how it differed. Looks like Powerflight
was the ancestor of RND[z]L rather than to opposition's
PNDLR.

Question for the motor-heads:

* when did other manufacturers move over to the RND2L pattern?

* why?

* when did PRND2L become standard?

* and, for extra marks, why on earth is the PRND21 pattern
retained for 4 speed automatics?

I drove a Japanese shed from Denver to Bakersfield and back and not being
to lock it in 3rd on those long, high mountain grades drove me spare. My
Focus has the same stupid pattern but at least its shift points are
better placed. It happily tows a glider trailer up hills without trying
to do it in top gear. Ditto without the trailer.

John Scialli

Oct 19, 2008, 8:05:38 AM10/19/08

What shift pattern would be seen from the back seat of
an old Rolls? (One does not sit next to the chaffeur after all).

Corné van Hooijdonk

Oct 19, 2008, 10:43:17 AM10/19/08
John Scialli wrote:

> What shift pattern would be seen from the back seat of

> an old Rolls? (One does not sit next to the chauffeur after all).

FZ did though, as can be seen in the VPRO '71 documentary. (Being driven
to the El Taco burrito place... FZ: "No... yes... yes... yes... yes..")

AAAFNRAA!!

Martin Gregorie

Oct 19, 2008, 4:41:41 PM10/19/08
On Sun, 19 Oct 2008 05:05:38 -0700, John Scialli wrote:

> What shift pattern would be seen from the back seat of an old Rolls?
> (One does not sit next to the chaffeur after all).

I've never sat in a Roller of any age. Sorry. However IIRC, when they
introduced automatics I think they used GM units, but that was quite
late. After all, one didn't care about the gears while one could afford a
chauffeur. My guess is that PRND21 was most likely the de facto standard
by the time RR offered an automatic gearbox.

Now, if you had said Bentley, that would be different. A good mate has
one + chauffeur as his clubbing car. Yep, rich bastard, at least until
last month. But, I haven't noticed what type of shift it has - just the
nice leather.

John Scialli

Oct 19, 2008, 6:09:24 PM10/19/08

Not a paid chaffeur, but his pumpkin.

Martin Gregorie

Oct 20, 2008, 6:43:01 AM10/20/08
On Sun, 19 Oct 2008 15:09:24 -0700, John Scialli wrote:

> Not a paid chaffeur, but his pumpkin.

This one is. When he got the car he hired a potential pumpkin to drive
it, but she had to go. Lovely girl, but couldn't drive. Now he has a
bloke to drive it.

gilw...@yahoo.com

Apr 29, 2015, 9:52:16 PM4/29/15
Its not a dyslexic view of an auto - trans at all...its just how they were before 1960 ( or somewhere around there) It was RDN2L before it was a PRNDL21
Which we used to call "PRINDL 2-1" Like emergency Rampart 2-1 or 1 adam 12
We were pretty stoned back then

derek from the internet

Nov 18, 2015, 9:19:21 AM11/18/15
A few years ago, maybe at a ZPZ gig, Dweezil explained that "Redunzl"
was one of Frank's nicknames for Gail. She had long hair and would
repeat herself when excited or insistent, hence "Redundant Repunzel." Or
"RDNZL."

--derek.

Bill

Nov 19, 2015, 6:56:32 PM11/19/15
Thanks!
--
Bill

Zappazeesta

Jun 8, 2016, 11:37:13 PM6/8/16
That's a great story, regardless if it's true or not. Frank was notorious for fabricating or revising history, or possibly counter fitting a contemporary story to a historical event. I'm still so confused. Help, I'm a rock!

jtne...@stanford.edu

Dec 18, 2018, 8:29:58 PM12/18/18
On Friday, October 17, 2008 at 7:25:48 AM UTC-7, Mighty Little wrote:
> Does anybody know what RDNZL means? Is it an abbreviation for something?
automatic transmission shift pattern - old H shift patter if i recall... his cars plate too...

The old geezer

Dec 23, 2018, 12:59:18 PM12/23/18
Reverse..Drive...Neutral...Zappa....Low!

digile...@gmail.com

Jan 12, 2019, 4:21:22 AM1/12/19
Many years ago I was told that RDNZL was Franks nickname on Gails little toe. Anyone else who Also heard this?
Today I stick to the car story.

Les Cargill

Jan 12, 2019, 7:30:35 PM1/12/19
digile...@gmail.com wrote:
> Many years ago I was told that RDNZL was Franks nickname on Gails little toe. Anyone else who Also heard this?
> Today I stick to the car story.

The little toe was named Dweezil.

--
Les Cargill

digile...@gmail.com

Jan 13, 2019, 6:38:04 AM1/13/19
Thanks a lot for the qlue Dweezil. Now I got it right.

Music is the best!