If Syd Barrett be buyin' acid for Bob with FZ in Hebben...

pbuzb...@yahoo.com

Jul 11, 2006, 10:03:41 AM7/11/06

Dingbat Charlie

Jul 11, 2006, 10:40:13 AM7/11/06
On 2006-07-11, pbuzb...@yahoo.com <pbuzb...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060711/ap_on_en_mu/obit_barrett_4

Do you think he'd let me ride his bike now?

RIP Syd.

Truly, truly a unique character.

Frunobulax

Jul 11, 2006, 11:38:34 AM7/11/06
"Won't you miss me? Wouldn't you miss me at all?"

RIP, Syd.

> Do you think he'd let me ride his bike now?

You can ride it if you like. It's got a basket, a bell that rings, and
things to make it look good. (he'd give it to you if he could but he
borrowed it)

NP: Giving Up The Ghost - Mount Analog

Tom K

Jul 11, 2006, 12:29:17 PM7/11/06

"Frunobulax" <sevr...@aol.com> skrev i en meddelelse

Not long ago I bought "Barrett" & "The Madcap Laughs" on 180 g vinyl, since
the old ones were quite used up. Guess I'll give them some spin tonight
along with PATGOD

RIP

Mike Espinoza

Jul 11, 2006, 1:58:51 PM7/11/06

Big Al Tomatoes

Jul 11, 2006, 6:08:04 PM7/11/06

Not to piss on your parade, 'cause Shine On's some great stuff, but I
was thinking of all these great Floyd quotes I could put in here, but
all the quotes I know are post-Barrett. So my hat's off to all you who
have hung in there from the beginning.

Tomasz Michalak

Jul 11, 2006, 6:19:12 PM7/11/06
> Do you think he'd let me ride his bike now?

> Shine on, you crazy diamond.

his bike broke down for good (it was an old model) but his crazy diamonds
will shine on for a few more years.

globual

PS there was a song many years ago that went something like:
"I don't want a pickle, I just want to ride my bicycle." To me that's him,
Roger Barrett all out. What a guy! He simply would not go for a pickle.

"Mike Espinoza" <espi...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

Charles Ulrich

Jul 11, 2006, 6:30:20 PM7/11/06
In article <AtVsg.158557$IK3.9562@pd7tw1no>,
"Tomasz Michalak" <tmic...@shaw.ca> wrote:

> PS there was a song many years ago that went something like:
> "I don't want a pickle, I just want to ride my bicycle."

Actually, it was his motorsickle.

That was Arlo Guthrie, who was supposed to play the customs agent
(Sharleena's boyfriend, Babbette's master) in 200 Motels.

--Charles

Just Another

Jul 11, 2006, 10:58:31 PM7/11/06
In article <ulrich-33AC3A.15295111072006@shawnews>,
Charles Ulrich <ulr...@sfu.ca> wrote:

True dat. Hope Syd's watching Emily Play from now on.

Q: Was that Syd's guitar on "Careful With That Axe, Eugene"? I don't
have a copy, but it was one hella solo.

Mike Espinoza

Jul 12, 2006, 1:22:37 AM7/12/06
On Tue, 11 Jul 2006 18:08:04 -0400, Big Al Tomatoes
<stabu...@yahoo.com> wrote:

>Mike Espinoza wrote:
>> pbuzb...@yahoo.com wrote:
>>
>>>http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060711/ap_on_en_mu/obit_barrett_4
>>

>> Shine on, you crazy diamond.
>>

>Not to piss on your parade, 'cause Shine On's some great stuff, but I
>was thinking of all these great Floyd quotes I could put in here, but
>all the quotes I know are post-Barrett. So my hat's off to all you who
>have hung in there from the beginning.

No offense taken here. I only really like four of Barrett's Floyd
songs, one of which is an instrumental (Interstellar Overdrive) and I
have no idea what his solo albums sound like. Nevertheless, I wish
the man a happy afterlife.

Despite the fact that Mr. Barrett's overall contribution to Pink Floyd
turned out to be minimal, he was still the inspiration for a good
chunk of their music long after his departure from the band. Hence,
the Shine On reference.
--
Mike E.

computeruser

Jul 12, 2006, 5:48:11 AM7/12/06
"Just Another" <now...@noplaceville.com> wrote in message

There are a few versionsof "Careful With That Axe, Eugene"; a studio
version on "Relics" and live versions on "Ummagumma" and the "Pompeii"
video. Which version were you talking about?

The song is written by (Waters, Wright, Gilmour, Mason) and the earliest
official version was originally the B-Side of a single released December 7,
1968 this cut was included on Relics.

Syd had retired from Pink Floyd by this time.

Just Another

Jul 12, 2006, 2:01:44 PM7/12/06
In article <63fae$44b4c55b$d0660664$11...@FUSE.NET>,
"computeruser" <cyra...@postmaster.invalid> wrote:

> "Just Another" <now...@noplaceville.com> wrote in message
> > In article <ulrich-33AC3A.15295111072006@shawnews>,
> > Charles Ulrich <ulr...@sfu.ca> wrote:

> >> Actually, it was his motorsickle.
> >>
> >> That was Arlo Guthrie, who was supposed to play the customs agent
> >> (Sharleena's boyfriend, Babbette's master) in 200 Motels.
> >>
> >> --Charles
> >
> > True dat. Hope Syd's watching Emily Play from now on.
> >
> > Q: Was that Syd's guitar on "Careful With That Axe, Eugene"? I don't
> > have a copy, but it was one hella solo.
>
> There are a few versionsof "Careful With That Axe, Eugene"; a studio
> version on "Relics" and live versions on "Ummagumma" and the "Pompeii"
> video. Which version were you talking about?

Ummagumma is the version I've heard. Wish I still had that album!

> The song is written by (Waters, Wright, Gilmour, Mason) and the earliest
> official version was originally the B-Side of a single released December 7,
> 1968 this cut was included on Relics.
>
> Syd had retired from Pink Floyd by this time.

Thanks for the info.

Father Haskell

Jul 12, 2006, 5:09:10 PM7/12/06
pbuzb...@yahoo.com wrote:
> http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060711/ap_on_en_mu/obit_barrett_4

I suppose we'll have to name an asteroid for him now.

In the spirit of ZappaFrank1992, BarrettSyd2006?

Big Al Tomatoes

Jul 22, 2006, 7:21:56 PM7/22/06
Mike Espinoza wrote:

I don't know if anyone else in this group feels this way, but I became a
Zappa fan at around age 12, we're talking Bongo Fury, and I always spent
my money on Zappa stuff almost to the exclusion of all else. As a
result, my knowledge of other groups over the years is jack shit
compared to most people.

Gary

Jul 22, 2006, 10:41:42 PM7/22/06
Big Al Tomatoes wrote:
> I don't know if anyone else in this group feels this way, but I became a
> Zappa fan at around age 12, we're talking Bongo Fury, and I always spent
> my money on Zappa stuff almost to the exclusion of all else. As a
> result, my knowledge of other groups over the years is jack shit
> compared to most people.

What other groups?

npu...@beans.com

Jul 23, 2006, 2:20:21 AM7/23/06

Other than Daevid Allen of Gong, Frankie is the only music higher
power.

Frunobulax

Jul 23, 2006, 4:53:42 AM7/23/06

Don't get me wrong - I love Frank and go/have gone through phases of
near worship - but the musical world is so large, so diverse, so
fucking beautiful, that I pity anyone who stops at any single artist,
or genre, or whatever. You are missing so much.

My tastes are all over the map and I'm certain I still know absolutely
nothing about 80% of what is out there that I'm sure I'd appreciate.
Imagine if you'd stopped at someone else at 12 and thus never heard
Frank - would you feel as sure of yourself as you do now?

NP: Junction - Fujii Satoko

Just Another

Jul 24, 2006, 12:08:05 AM7/24/06
In article <1153644822....@i42g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
"Frunobulax" <sevr...@aol.com> wrote:

Hey, if his tastes are merely Zappa and Gong/BananaMoon, he's off to a
great start!

> My tastes are all over the map and I'm certain I still know absolutely
> nothing about 80% of what is out there that I'm sure I'd appreciate.
> Imagine if you'd stopped at someone else at 12 and thus never heard
> Frank - would you feel as sure of yourself as you do now?
>
> NP: Junction - Fujii Satoko

"See Emily Play" was a fine pop piece, apparently all Barrett.
Had a real "Turtles" quality to it, & probably inspired Flo 'n Eddie.
There were other cuts on that 1st album that I liked, though they escape
me at the moment.