Here's to the Good Captain. We rest our case. (ZPCD103)

FzFan

Dec 17, 2011, 11:43:26 AM12/17/11
Now for pre-order at Barfko-Swill: Beefheart Bat Chain Puller CD.

http://barfkoswill.shop.musictoday.com/Product.aspx?cp=971_54317&pc=ZPCD103

AAAFNRAA!!

Biffy the Elephant Shrew

Dec 17, 2011, 12:02:37 PM12/17/11
On Dec 17, 8:43 am, FzFan <cvhooijd...@zonnet.nl> wrote:

Is that the cover? Hope they didn't bankrupt themselves with the
graphics budget.

Your pal,
Biffy the Elephant Shrew

Frunobulax_also

Dec 17, 2011, 2:20:20 PM12/17/11
FINALLY!

Frunobulax_also

Dec 17, 2011, 2:29:39 PM12/17/11
I hope it's better than Dust Sucker ... =D

mysteryroach

Dec 17, 2011, 5:20:31 PM12/17/11
On Dec 17, 11:43 am, FzFan <cvhooijd...@zonnet.nl> wrote:
> Now for pre-order at Barfko-Swill: Beefheart Bat Chain Puller CD.
>
> http://barfkoswill.shop.musictoday.com/Product.aspx?cp=971_54317&pc=Z...
>
> AAAFNRAA!!

Forgive my ignorance, but what would be the difference between this
"Bat Chain Puller" and the cd by the same name that I've had for
years? I don't mind throwing Gail and Co. a few sheckles every now and
then but I'd like to know why this would be in my best interest. TIA

DiogenesOfSinope

Dec 17, 2011, 6:12:06 PM12/17/11
what you have been listening to was re-recorded for "Shiny Beast"
this would be the original as recorded for Discreet Records, that was
never released.

see hear----> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shiny_Beast_%28Bat_Chain_Puller
%29

J. Roshi

Dec 19, 2011, 2:31:52 PM12/19/11
On Dec 17, 11:43 am, FzFan <cvhooijd...@zonnet.nl> wrote:
> Now for pre-order at Barfko-Swill: Beefheart Bat Chain Puller CD.
>
> http://barfkoswill.shop.musictoday.com/Product.aspx?cp=971_54317&pc=Z...
>
> AAAFNRAA!!

Is anyone else a little wary of the message and timing behind this
release? Beefheart dies in December 2010. Now, almost exactly one
year later, we finally have the album he recorded 35 years ago, which
FZ, and then GZ, refused to release. Now that they don't have to give
CB any money, it alla sudden is ready for consumer consumption! And
then, the message "Here's to the good Captain. We rest our case,"
just seems like a slam at the Captain to me. Considering the bad
blood that flowed between CB & FZ over the years, plus Gail's tendency
to basically shit upon anyone who ever criticizes Frank, it just . . .
I dunno . . . . doesn't feel right. Does anybody else get this, or am
I just being overly sensitive?

Ron Moses

Dec 19, 2011, 5:35:39 PM12/19/11
On Monday, December 19, 2011 2:31:52 PM UTC-5, J. Roshi wrote:

> Is anyone else a little wary of the message and timing behind this
> release? Beefheart dies in December 2010. Now, almost exactly one
> year later, we finally have the album he recorded 35 years ago, which
> FZ, and then GZ, refused to release. Now that they don't have to give
> CB any money, it alla sudden is ready for consumer consumption! And
> then, the message "Here's to the good Captain. We rest our case,"
> just seems like a slam at the Captain to me. Considering the bad
> blood that flowed between CB & FZ over the years, plus Gail's tendency
> to basically shit upon anyone who ever criticizes Frank, it just . . .
> I dunno . . . . doesn't feel right. Does anybody else get this, or am
> I just being overly sensitive?

I hadn't thought of it that way, but you make a pretty solid argument.

ron

marc rosen

Dec 20, 2011, 7:21:34 AM12/20/11

> Is anyone else a little wary of the message and timing behind this
> release?  Beefheart dies in December 2010.  Now, almost exactly one
> year later, we finally have the album he recorded 35 years ago, which
> FZ, and then GZ, refused to release.  Now that they don't have to give
> CB any money, it alla sudden is ready for consumer consumption!  And
> then, the message "Here's to the good Captain.  We rest our case,"
> just seems like a slam at the Captain to me.  Considering the bad
> blood that flowed between CB & FZ over the years, plus Gail's tendency
> to basically shit upon anyone who ever criticizes Frank, it just . . .
> I dunno . . . . doesn't feel right.  Does anybody else get this, or am
> I just being overly sensitive?

That was my thought right off the bat (chain puller). Makes me wonder
about a lot of their reasons for releasing stuff 40 some years after
the recordings. Sure, it's an anniversary type thing, but are there
any statute of limitations that expire so any royalties might be
diminished? I still wonder why Don's picture is an orange pane in the
Carnegie booklet. Even if his head is photoshopped in the group pics,
does it mean he's less significant if his individual picture is not
present?

Marc

pbuzb...@yahoo.com

Dec 20, 2011, 10:34:31 AM12/20/11
Works written in 1976 are not yet in the public domain. Don's estate
would receive royalties (his wife is still alive, no?).

You may want to direct your objections to John French and Denny Walley
who are both involved in the release.

Pat Buzby
Chicago, IL

David Bowman

Dec 20, 2011, 11:45:06 AM12/20/11
I'm certain that Gail will get her grubby mitts on some of the proceeds.

pbuzb...@yahoo.com

Dec 20, 2011, 12:21:30 PM12/20/11
On Dec 20, 10:45 am, David Bowman <odes...@hotmail.com> wrote:
If the ZFT owns the rights (which, to my knowledge, they do because FZ
paid for the production of the record) Gail deserves to get some of
the proceeds.

Pat Buzby
Chicago, IL

The Idiot

Dec 20, 2011, 2:27:13 PM12/20/11
Gail Zappa in fact announced that the ZFT would be releasing this -
possibly in January 2011 - at the Roundhouse in November 2010. The
good Captain then sadly passed away the month after.

I therefore find this revised timing - with pre-orders announced on
the first anniversary of Don's death, with the actual release hitting
mailboxes on what would have been his 71st birthday - to be quite
respectful. The involvement of Messrs French and Walley adds more
weight to this.

J. Roshi

Dec 20, 2011, 8:43:24 PM12/20/11
I trust anything French and Walley behind. Especially French, after
reading what he went through with the Captain over the years. (And
for those who haven't read his book, do so! It's not the most well-
written, well-put-together book, but the wealth of information is
astounding.)

Milhouse G

Dec 20, 2011, 9:19:04 PM12/20/11
On 12/20/2011 7:21 AM, marc rosen wrote:
>I still wonder why Don's picture is an orange pane in the
> Carnegie booklet.

Because they couldn't find a good, useable single shot of him. It's not
that complicated.

--
Milhouse

Milhouse G

Dec 20, 2011, 9:26:52 PM12/20/11
I don't think it's fair to say FZ "refused" to release "Bat Chain
Puller". The tapes -- the recording of which FZ & Herb Cohen paid for --
were tied up along with FZ's own masters in the FZ vs. Cohen and Warner
Bros lawsuits. By the time that was resolved and ownership of masters
was returned to FZ, Beefheart had already recorded and released "Shiny
Beast (Bat Chain Puller)".

--
Milhouse

Piper

Dec 20, 2011, 10:25:49 PM12/20/11
Have Mr. French and Walley . . . or anyone who may have heard it . . .
expressed an opinion on this album vis-a-vis Shiny Beast?

pbuzb...@yahoo.com

Dec 21, 2011, 10:01:05 AM12/21/11

On Dec 20, 8:19 pm, Milhouse G <MilhouseW...@gmail.comGOSPAMYERSELF>
wrote:
I think if they wanted to stick it to Don, they would have not taken
the trouble to paste him into the band photos.

That said, photos of the Aug-Dec 71 lineup with him, and of him solo,
are not that hard to find, although it's possible rights to the 71
photos might be expensive.

Pat Buzby
Chicago, IL

vg4cysss7001

Dec 21, 2011, 3:03:16 PM12/21/11
Piper <pi...@gatesofdawn.com> writes
>J. Roshi wrote:
>> On Dec 20, 2:27 pm, The Idiot<disco....@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:
>>> Gail Zappa in fact announced that the ZFT would be releasing this -
>>> possibly in January 2011 - at the Roundhouse in November 2010. The
>>> good Captain then sadly passed away the month after.
>>>
>>> I therefore find this revised timing - with pre-orders announced on
>>> the first anniversary of Don's death, with the actual release hitting
>>> mailboxes on what would have been his 71st birthday - to be quite
>>> respectful. The involvement of Messrs French and Walley adds more
>>> weight to this.
>>
>> I trust anything French and Walley behind. Especially French, after
>> reading what he went through with the Captain over the years. (And
>> for those who haven't read his book, do so! It's not the most well-
>> written, well-put-together book, but the wealth of information is
>> astounding.)

ISBN number please.

>Have Mr. French and Walley . . . or anyone who may have heard it . . .
>expressed an opinion on this album vis-a-vis Shiny Beast?

--
vg4cysss7001

Al_Fresco

Dec 21, 2011, 6:29:02 PM12/21/11

Frunobulax_also

Jan 15, 2012, 6:51:05 PM1/15/12
I'm thrilled it's coming out, and can wait, but seriously, ZFT - do
you *ever* hit a release date?

mysteryroach

Jan 15, 2012, 9:31:44 PM1/15/12
On Jan 15, 6:51 pm, Frunobulax_also <sevri...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm thrilled it's coming out, and can wait, but seriously, ZFT - do
> you *ever* hit a release date?

I feel like Charlie Brown when Lucie pulls the football awy again.

Frunobulax_also

Feb 22, 2012, 10:47:20 PM2/22/12
now why didn't they put the liner notes sleeve out as the cover?

Glad to finally have it ...

da9ve

Feb 28, 2012, 11:09:51 AM2/28/12
Listening to it now.

I've had various bootlegs of "The Original Bat-Chain Puller" for
years, and even the ones purported to have been from very-low-gen
copies of the master tapes were hissy as hell.

This disc (which I still think could have been a few bucks cheaper,
but that's besides the point), sounds freakin' fantastic. I've
maintained for a long time that I hear nothing wrong or inferior or
less-than-perfect about Shiny Beast (Bat Chain Puller) as released, or
any of the other material written for the original version - it's some
of my favorite Beefheart, some of my favorite music period; I resisted
elevating the un-released version to anything I didn't know firsthand
that it was. But listening to it now, while it doesn't diminish my
love for the other versions a single bit - I AM fuggin' respecting
this line-up. The tempos are in some cases a wee bit slower than on
Shiny Beast, and the sound of, and spaces between, the instruments are
different, in a good way. I'm not gonna compare the other versions
and this one - they both stand on their own.

Hobo-ism about to start,... shuttin' up.

da9ve