Top 10 reasons to adopt 'San Bernardino' as the city's song

Hoodoo

Nov 2, 2005, 12:54:32 PM11/2/05
Top 10 reasons to adopt 'San Bernardino' as the city's song

http://www.sbsun.com/news/ci_3172693

San Bernardino City Councilwoman Susan Lien Longville's Top 10 list of
reasons why the city should adopt ``San Bernardino'' as its official
song:

1. The tune is catchy, and easy for even those of us with modest vocal
ranges to handle.

2. The song has a country-rock style, which matches our community
well.

3. The lyrics are so favorable in their treatment of our city that one
might easily believe it was specifically written to serve as our
anthem.

4. The lyrics have specific emotional appeal to those born and raised
in San Bernardino.

5. The lyrics also appeal to potential visitors to our city, including
residents of foreign lands.

6. The song is a proven hit all over the world, having achieved No. 1
on the charts in Germany and reached the Top 10 in many nations when
it was originally released.

7. A Spanish-language recording of the song (by Los Mismos, a Mexican
pop group) already exists, so we don't have to translate it to
sing it in Spanish.

8. There are numerous other cover vesions of the song already
available in many languages, which could be used in worldwide
promotional campaigns if our Convention and Visitors Bureau were to
obtain the rights to use some of those foreign versions.

9. Jeff Christie, the British musician who wrote the song, has already
given us permission to use his original version for city purposes.

10. Nowhere in the lyrics does it mention smog, crime or any of the
other negative images emphasized in Frank Zappa's song ``San
Ber'dino.''

- - -

On the webpage -

More about 'San Bernardino'

· John Weeks' column: Tune in to the spirit of the city
· Audio clip: 50-second MP3 of 'San Bernardino'
· Top 10 reasons to select the song
· 'San Bernardino' lyrics

SB_SONG_POLL

Is 'San Bernardino' a good candidate for an official city song?

yes
no

Charles Ulrich

Nov 2, 2005, 2:16:18 PM11/2/05
In article <s2vhm1hamnq5hvcec...@4ax.com>,
Hoodoo <hoo...@spamcop.net> wrote:

> Top 10 reasons to adopt 'San Bernardino' as the city's song
>
> http://www.sbsun.com/news/ci_3172693
>

> 1. The tune is catchy, and easy for even those of us with modest vocal
> ranges to handle.
>
> 2. The song has a country-rock style, which matches our community
> well.
>
> 3. The lyrics are so favorable in their treatment of our city that one
> might easily believe it was specifically written to serve as our
> anthem.
>
> 4. The lyrics have specific emotional appeal to those born and raised
> in San Bernardino.
>
> 5. The lyrics also appeal to potential visitors to our city, including
> residents of foreign lands.

[snip]

> 10. Nowhere in the lyrics does it mention smog, crime or any of the
> other negative images emphasized in Frank Zappa's song ``San
> Ber'dino.''

I thought they were talking about FZ's song!

--Charles

Dave W

Nov 5, 2005, 2:26:24 PM11/5/05
"Hoodoo" <hoo...@spamcop.net> wrote in message

> Top 10 reasons to adopt 'San Bernardino' as the city's song
>
> 3. The lyrics are so favorable in their treatment of our city that one
> might easily believe it was specifically written to serve as our
> anthem.

Really? These are favorable lyrics?

"Trailer park heaven, it's a real good deal-o"
"They got some dark green air and you can choke all day"

I don't think so.... It was never intended to be complimentary of the city.
Frank was thrown into jail there for making a pornographic tape.

Next thing, you'll think "In France" should be the theme song for France.

Dave

Gary

Nov 5, 2005, 2:41:27 PM11/5/05
Dave W wrote:

> Next thing, you'll think "In France" should be the theme song for France.

You mean it isn't?

Dave Wilcher

Nov 5, 2005, 3:41:00 PM11/5/05
Dave W wrote:
> "Hoodoo" <hoo...@spamcop.net> wrote in message
>> Top 10 reasons to adopt 'San Bernardino' as the city's song
>>
>> 3. The lyrics are so favorable in their treatment of our city that
>> one might easily believe it was specifically written to serve as our
>> anthem.
>>
> Really? These are favorable lyrics?
>
> "Trailer park heaven, it's a real good deal-o"
> "They got some dark green air and you can choke all day"
>
> I don't think so.... It was never intended to be complimentary of the
> city. Frank was thrown into jail there for making a pornographic tape.

Read the article again - they are talking about a different song,
and mention that Zappa's song is NOT favorable.
Also, see my tag-line.

dave
--
A person who won't read has no advantage over one who can't read.
-Mark Twain

Yesterdays Wafflez

Nov 5, 2005, 4:28:18 PM11/5/05
I live just 10 minutes East of San Berdino and "Trailer Park Heaven" &
all of 'Sun Village' all aptly apply here. Damn windy today too!

Just want to say thanks for all the great Z info you guys put out!
Zappa's music, such a part of us, makes it so cool to come here and find
more Conceptual Continuity....Thnx!

Y.W. (who gets emotional this time of year)

..with the oil of Aphrodite, and the dust of the Grand Wazoo. He said,
"You might not believe this little fella, but it'll cure your asthma
too!"
-fz

pbuzb...@yahoo.com

Nov 5, 2005, 6:59:21 PM11/5/05

It's been a while since I heard that song about Lake Shore Drive on the
radio with its lines about being "out of your mind on LSD" or whatever.

Any other Chicagoans heard that one?

Pat Buzby
Chicago, Il

Gary Wright

Nov 5, 2005, 8:09:49 PM11/5/05

"Yesterdays Wafflez" <Yesterda...@webtv.net> wrote in message

>I live just 10 minutes East of San Berdino and "Trailer Park Heaven" &
> all of 'Sun Village' all aptly apply here. Damn windy today too!

Yep...it is. Just came through that area an hour ago whilst humming "San
Berdino" on my way to the High Desert (Apple Valley, that is....where it's
even windier and fortunately, less "trailer park heavens" to go around)!!

Hoodoo

Nov 7, 2005, 9:34:27 PM11/7/05
On 5 Nov 2005 15:59:21 -0800, pbuzb...@yahoo.com wrote:

>It's been a while since I heard that song about Lake Shore Drive on the
>radio with its lines about being "out of your mind on LSD" or whatever.
>Any other Chicagoans heard that one?

I was born and raised up the road a bit, in Milwaukee, and I enjoyed
cruising on LSD (the road, not the drug) whenever I was visiting the
Windy City. I liked how stripped and abandoned cars were simply pushed
up onto the concrete lane dividers rather than towed away to make the
road safer. I guess the county highway department in Milwaukee had
more time on their hands to address such matters because I never saw
anything like that in my hometown.