Opinions on some new Zappa books wanted

J. Roshi

Nov 19, 2011, 10:43:16 PM11/19/11
So, Christmas is coming up again, and I'm curious about the quality of a few new(ish) Zappa books that I see on amazon. First and foremost is the new memoir by Pauline Butcher - I know some of you have read it by now, so let me know, is it any good? Any new, exciting information?

Second on my list is actually not a new book, but one that (I think) was out of print for quite a while. In any case, I never saw it in stores, but have seen it mentioned often: Neil Slaven's _Electric Don Quixote_. Can anyone give me a rundown on this one?

Thirdly there is a book entitled "The Words and Music of Frank Zappa" by Kelly Fisher Lowe. This I have heard absolutely nothing about. A cursory google search only reveals one affz-er's opinion of the book (thanks, Mr. Ulrich) so I'd like to hear from anyone else who may have read it.

FINALLY: Amazon has a number of volumes by a guy named Scott Parker who writes books on "The Recordings of Frank Zappa and the Mothers of Invention." He's currently on volume 4, which together cover the years up to 1974. His website at www.scottparkerbooks.com gives a little bit of detail about the books, and some excerpts. Unfortunately, these excerpts look like they were merely copied from the Zappa Patio's bootleg list, with short reviews of each show. Supposedly there is narrative in the book too, but he doesn't provide any on the site. To make matters worse, he's also apparently a 9/11 "truther" who links to Alex Jones. Yikes! Has anyone dared read anything of his?

That's all. For now.

Er, wait, is the Roxy DVD out yet?

pbuzb...@yahoo.com

Nov 20, 2011, 1:42:26 PM11/20/11
On Nov 19, 9:43 pm, "J. Roshi" <choppa...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Second on my list is actually not a new book, but one that (I think) was out of print for quite a while.  In any case, I never saw it in stores, but have seen it mentioned often:  Neil Slaven's _Electric Don Quixote_.  Can anyone give me a rundown on this one?

Pretty nice straightforward bio of FZ with a few quotes from an
interview Slaven did near the end of FZ's life. Doesn't have the
digressions of Ben Watson's books and is friendlier to FZ than the
books by Barry Miles or Michael Gray. Also has fewer errors than any
of those.

Pat Buzby
Chicago, IL

darkme

Nov 20, 2011, 3:11:07 PM11/20/11
I enjoyed "Freak Out! My Life with Frank Zappa" by Pauline Butcher.
Lots of good photos tooo.

Rich

Frunobulax_also

Nov 20, 2011, 1:59:46 PM11/20/11
I have read the Pauline Butcher book.

While I found it interesting from the standpoint of what the Zappa
household was like during the Herb Cohen days, it was a pretty tame
book written by a pretty tame person. I enjoyed it but remarked
numerous times to myself how dull it would likely be for a lot of
readers.

I know that's assuming a lot but there you have it.

Biffy the Elephant Shrew

Nov 20, 2011, 3:29:33 PM11/20/11
On Nov 19, 7:43 pm, "J. Roshi" <choppa...@gmail.com> wrote:
> So, Christmas is coming up again, and I'm curious about the quality of a few new(ish) Zappa books that I see on amazon.  First and foremost is the new memoir by Pauline Butcher - I know some of you have read it by now, so let me know, is it any good?  Any new, exciting information?

"How Frank Zappa Tried to Get Into My Pants" by Pauline Butcher is a
very entertaining and engaging read. We learn a lot about what life
was like in the Log Cabin and the "bizarre relationships" among Frank,
Gail, Pamela Zarubica, and Cal Schenkel. Most of the MOI get only
passing mentions except for Ian Underwood, with whom the author had a
close friendship, so we hear a lot about him and Ruth. Apparently
Butcher regularly wrote detailed letters home to her mother in England
during the whole period, and was able to consult these for the writing
of the book. As a result, she's come up with a book that seems very
accurate and believable. You won't learn anything new about FZ's
music, but you'll gain a lot of insight into the personalities of the
principal characters. We also get much more detailed accounts than
we've heard before of some familiar stories, like the Raven incident
and Mick Jagger's visit to the Log Cabin. (Oh, we also learn that FZ
attended a mixing session for Beggar's Banquet.)

Your pal,
Biffy the Elephant Shrew

Yesterdays Wafflez

Nov 20, 2011, 11:49:21 PM11/20/11
Way Cool Info!

Thanz,
Y.W.

J. Roshi

Nov 21, 2011, 9:57:44 AM11/21/11
On Nov 20, 3:29 pm, Biffy the Elephant Shrew <biffysh...@aol.com>
wrote:
I thought Nigey wrote "How Zappa Tried To Get In My Pants"!

But hey, speaking of Nigey Lennon - how much of that book was
bullshit? When I first read it, I assumed most of it was bullshit,
simply because I hadn't really read of Zappa's own personal
extramarital extra-curricular activities. Now that I've seen more
about his own proclivities on the road, I have no problem accepting
the fact that Zappa carted a teenage girl around for penis/vagina
interaction purposes, but I've still never seen any actual proof of
her playing onstage with the Mothers. Has anyone thoroughly
investigated this? Or at least done a cursory glance into History?

Biffy the Elephant Shrew

Nov 21, 2011, 12:35:41 PM11/21/11
On Nov 21, 6:57 am, "J. Roshi" <choppa...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I thought Nigey wrote "How Zappa Tried To Get In My Pants"!

Nigey wrote "How I *Let* Zappa Get Into My Pants (And/Or Shoes)."

I've always been highly skeptical about many of the details in Nigey's
book. I don't want to say too much about it, because she was there and
I was not, but I suspect rampant exaggeration/self-aggrandizement,
possibly with an eye towards kick-starting her own musical career.
I've also always been bothered by the idea that FZ, who was so
paranoid about his musicians using drugs and possibly derailing a tour
by getting busted, would risk a Mann act violation by taking an
underage girl on tour for purposes of plookage. But who knows,
sometimes the pecker overrules the brain.

pbuzb...@yahoo.com

Nov 21, 2011, 3:16:26 PM11/21/11
I suspect Nigey's book contains some probably-fairly-accurate
observations of activity around FZ at the time combined with, as Biffy
mentioned, rampantly exaggerated and self-aggrandizing claims
suggesting she was central to FZ's life and a good enough musician to
be signed to his label or play in his band.

Pat Buzby
Chicaog, IL

Frunobulax_also

Nov 21, 2011, 5:50:32 PM11/21/11
One of the biggest revelations for this schnook was Pauline's frequent
mention of Zappa imbibing, albeit lightly and socially, in alcoholic
drinks.

I thought he didn't.

The old geezer

Nov 21, 2011, 6:21:55 PM11/21/11
Another GOOD Zappa book is "Necessity Is....The early years of FZ &
the MOI by Bill James. A lot of good interviews & stories about the
original MOI. Forward by Don Preston!!!

TOG

NP: Dominique - The Singing Nun (Original 1963 Uncensored Version)
ND: Ezra Brooks Kentucky Sour Mash Bourbon

Martin Gregorie

Nov 21, 2011, 7:28:37 PM11/21/11
On Mon, 21 Nov 2011 15:21:55 -0800, The old geezer wrote:

> NP: Dominique - The Singing Nun (Original 1963 Uncensored Version)

Whaaat??? Censored? By whom and why?

--
martin@ | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. | Essex, UK

The old geezer

Nov 21, 2011, 7:52:17 PM11/21/11
On Nov 21, 7:28 pm, Martin Gregorie <mar...@address-in-sig.invalid>
wrote:
> On Mon, 21 Nov 2011 15:21:55 -0800, The old geezer wrote:
> > NP: Dominique - The Singing Nun (Original 1963 Uncensored Version)
>
> Whaaat??? Censored? By whom and why?

The Pope....who else????

The Singing Nun ended up leaving the convent...entered into a Lesbian
relationship & committing suicide with her female lover........always
remember....the Wages Of Sin....is Death!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The old geezer

ND: Some kinda cheap ass wine...but it tastes good...
NP: The Other One - Grateful Dead - Skull & Roses 1971

Bill Flynn

Nov 21, 2011, 11:39:31 PM11/21/11
On 2011-11-22 00:52:17 +0000, The old geezer said:

> The Singing Nun ended up leaving the convent...entered into a Lesbian
> relationship & committing suicide with her female lover........always
> remember....the Wages Of Sin....is Death!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I thought that was the Singeing Nun.
--
Bill

Piper

Nov 30, 2011, 10:58:24 PM11/30/11
The old geezer wrote:

> The Singing Nun ended up leaving the convent...entered into a Lesbian
> relationship& committing suicide with her female lover........always
> remember....the Wages Of Sin....is Death!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jeanine Deckers died for your sins.