'70-'71 Mothers

Badfish

Nov 5, 2005, 4:04:26 PM11/5/05
Why did Zappa do so little in the studio with the 1970-71 group? He
toured them incessantly and even made a movie with them. Why do you
think he never cut a full studio album with them?

Chunga's Revenge has a few Studio cuts featuring the early versions of
this lineup, but the rest of this band's legacy is two live LPs and the
live(ish) recorded-on-site soundtrack to 200 Motels (not to mention the
wealth of live tape snippets and such that makes up Playground
Psychotics).

Everytime I hear Flo & Eddie belting one of Zappa's dittys I long for a
complete studio LP by this lineup...

Charles Ulrich

Nov 5, 2005, 4:45:17 PM11/5/05
"Badfish" <badf...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Why did Zappa do so little in the studio with the 1970-71 group?

Because it was more fun to tour with them?

Because the spontaneous humor of Flo & Eddie works best in a live
concert setting?

> He toured them incessantly and even made a movie with them. Why do
> you think he never cut a full studio album with them?

You mean: Why did he never release a full studio album with them?

> Chunga's Revenge has a few Studio cuts featuring the early versions
> of this lineup

Five tracks, totalling sixteen minutes. Add in the twenty-four-minute
studio recording of the Groupie Opera and you've got forty minutes.

You're right. I wish he had released a full album of stuff by the Hot
Rats band (Transylvania Boogie, Twenty Small Cigars, Chunga's Revenge,
Lil' Clanton Shuffle, Sharleena, maybe the Clap, Let Me Take You To The
Beach, and some stuff that's still unreleased) and saved the
afore-mentioned five tracks for release along with the Groupie Opera.

But the impact of the original Sharleena might have been less if we
hadn't been listening to inferior versions for a quarter of a century.

--Charles

pbuzb...@yahoo.com

Nov 5, 2005, 6:58:14 PM11/5/05

Charles Ulrich wrote:
> In article <1131224666.1...@g47g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
> "Badfish" <badf...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> > Why did Zappa do so little in the studio with the 1970-71 group?
>
> Because it was more fun to tour with them?
>
> Because the spontaneous humor of Flo & Eddie works best in a live
> concert setting?

Possibly also because he hadn't planned on it ending when and how it
did.

Pat Buzby
Chicago, IL

Dan Buxbaum

Nov 5, 2005, 8:22:33 PM11/5/05
Charles Ulrich wrote:

And what just are the lyrics to the version of Peaches that was "sung"
by Flo & Eddie on the '71 tour?