fountain of moonglows

Charles Ulrich

Sep 13, 2008, 7:25:50 PM9/13/08
FZ, interviewed by Miles, Zapparap: Miles Talks To Frank, International
Times (8/29/69)
<http://www.polenta.dircon.co.uk/zap.html>:

> For instance, one song on the 'Ruben & The Jets' album simultaneously
> has quotes from background chants sung by The Moonglows, the opening
> theme of 'The Rite Of Spring', in fact the tune is 'Fountain Of
> Love', it's on the fadeout but nobody ever heard that as 'The Rite Of
> Spring' because there's like five different levels of musical
> accompaniment going on, not counting the band. There's all these
> different vocal parts and they're all clichés and they're all
> carefully chosen for nostalgia value and then built into this song
> with the most imbecile words in the world.

FZ, as told to Richard Blackburn, '50s Teenagers And '50s Rock,
Evergreen Review (8/70)
<http://www.afka.net/Articles/1970-08_Evergreen.htm>:

> And in the Ruben and the Jets album, I very consciously took all
> those hot numbers - "Nite Owl" and "Cherry Pie" - all of them, and
> blended them in combinations to come up with my songs. I even mixed
> parts of "The Rite of Spring" with the Moonglows' style of harmony. I
> took some of their better lines too.

Can anyone identify what Moonglows song is quoted in Fountain Of Love?

And along the same lines...

TRFZB, p. 89:

> One song has the background chant of 'Earth Angel' superimposed on
> the chant from another song, and so on.

Love Of My Life is the song that contains the "whoa-oh-oh-oh" from Earth
Angel. It's only audible in the LP version, not the CD version. Ray
Collins sings it in the left channel for about the last forty-five
seconds of the song.

Can anyone identify the other song that is the source of the opposing
chant to which FZ is referring?

Thanks for any help you can provide.

--Charles

computeruser

Sep 13, 2008, 9:56:35 PM9/13/08
"Charles Ulrich" <ulr...@sfu.ca> wrote in message

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NfDVvt_x3zk "Sincerely" was their first
number one hit.

They had an ... "of Love" songs called the "Ten Commandments of Love"

These are some places to start. I haven't dug into the question deeply. I'll
listen to both and see what other ideas turn up.

Did you check if he played any moonglows on the radio as a bogus dj?

Charles Ulrich

Sep 14, 2008, 12:10:35 AM9/14/08
In article <gahr0e$fih$1...@aioe.org>,
"computeruser" <ona...@postmaster.invalid> wrote:

> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NfDVvt_x3zk "Sincerely" was their first
> number one hit.
>
> They had an ... "of Love" songs called the "Ten Commandments of Love"
>
> These are some places to start. I haven't dug into the question deeply. I'll
> listen to both and see what other ideas turn up.

I've listened to those and others, but not recognized anything from
Fountain Of Love yet.

> Did you check if he played any moonglows on the radio as a bogus dj?

A Swedish radio interview in 9/68 included Most Of All, but I don't know
whether he selected it or they did. Other than that, I don't know of
anything.

--Charles