Hammersmith Odeon Question

Bill

Nov 20, 2010, 6:51:59 PM11/20/10
For most of the CD so far, I have been noticing that, Tommy's keyboard
is stage right, but on King Kong, it is stage left.
Did Peter and Tommy swap stage positions the night that song is taken
from?

BTW, I could be wrong in my observation regarding Tommy's position on
all the previous material on the CD ... I'm in the midst of my first
listening.

Bill Not Lantz

--
Bill

pbuzb...@yahoo.com

Nov 20, 2010, 8:36:38 PM11/20/10

They probably wouldn't have switched places in the middle of the tour.

Tommy was positioned stage left in all of his tours with FZ judging
from available videos and photos. Generally the recent CDs have been
mixed according to the stage layout of the band.

One song where it should be easy to tell the position of the
keyboardists is City Of Tiny Lights, where Peter plays piano, and
Tommy plays organ, judging from Baby Snakes.

CD not arrived here yet. Hopefully on Monday.

Pat Buzby
Chicago, IL

marc rosen

Nov 20, 2010, 9:51:04 PM11/20/10
Hey Bill Not Lantz (is it Austin then?),
I'm not trying to hijack your thread but I had another HO question so
I thought I'd add it here.
Some fo you fortunate folks who have a lot of live recordings may be
able to answer this. Where there other performances of Envelopes with
lyrics? This is the first time I've heard this tune with words. If
there were other versions where simialr lyrics used? Thanks in
advance for your answers,
Marc

Charles Ulrich

Nov 20, 2010, 11:20:41 PM11/20/10
In article
<3c24c825-629b-411f...@j25g2000yqa.googlegroups.com>,
marc rosen <duck...@qis.net> wrote:

>> Some fo you fortunate folks who have a lot of live recordings may be
> able to answer this. Where there other performances of Envelopes with
> lyrics? This is the first time I've heard this tune with words. If
> there were other versions where simialr lyrics used?

In 1977 and 1978, Envelopes was usually, but not always, performed with
lyrics. I haven't heard the performance on Hammersmith Odeon, but as far
as I know, the lyrics did not vary significantly.

The standard lyrics are transcribed at
<http://globalia.net/donlope/fz/songs/Envelopes.html>.

--Charles

marc rosen

Nov 21, 2010, 9:11:13 AM11/21/10
Hello Charles,
Thank for your answer and for that link. Was the 1970 performance
much different than the later 70's shows. Seems like a long span to
have not been played and then revived for a few years of use.

Marc

Charles Ulrich

Nov 21, 2010, 10:00:52 AM11/21/10
In article
<9333c01f-d76a-4145...@q18g2000vbm.googlegroups.com>,
marc rosen <duck...@qis.net> wrote:

> Thank for your answer and for that link. Was the 1970 performance
> much different than the later 70's shows.

It was just a brief excerpt from the "I'm screwing you" section,
performed by the Los Angeles Philharmonic Orchestra as part of 200
Motels. See <http://globalia.net/donlope/fz/songs/200_Motels.html>.

Other than that, The Mothers are not known to have performed Envelopes
in concert in 1970.

The Mothers recorded the piece at Trident Studios (probably in June
1970, though FZ said in the LSO program that it was in 1968), but FZ was
not satisfied with the performance.

--Charles

pbuzb...@yahoo.com

Nov 30, 2010, 9:11:35 AM11/30/10
After listening to parts of each disc on headphones yesterday it
sounds like most (all?) of disc one has Peter mixed to the left, and
Tommy to the right.

However, some later tracks like "Jones Crusher" seem to have Peter
right and Tommy left.

Perhaps the track assignments were different for the January 25-27
shows compared to February 28th, or perhaps there just isn't any
special reason.

Pat Buzby
Chicago, IL

Bill

Nov 30, 2010, 2:42:56 PM11/30/10
In article
<1703fc69-31ca-4315...@r31g2000prg.googlegroups.com>,
pbuzb...@yahoo.com wrote:

Thanks, Pat. I'm glad it wasn't just my old ears.

--
Bill