FZ and his parents photo: when was it taken? is in it Frank & Gail's home?

Bil

Jul 4, 2011, 8:32:26 PM7/4/11
Anyone know the details of this photograph of Frank and his parents?
see http://www.anglonautes.com/art_music_rock_frank_zappa_1940_1993/art_music_rock_frank_zappa_1940_1993_pic_zappa_parents_hands.jpg

When was it taken? Where? Is it in Frank and Gail's home? What's the
artwork on the wall?

Cheers and thanks

Bil

Bil

Jul 4, 2011, 9:24:51 PM7/4/11
On Jul 5, 8:32 am, Bil wrote:
> Anyone know the details of this photograph of Frank and his parents?
> seehttp://www.anglonautes.com/art_music_rock_frank_zappa_1940_1993/art_m...

> When was it taken? Where? Is it in Frank and Gail's home? What's the
> artwork on the wall?

We have a winner (Google image search)!

The photo was taken in 1970 (another source says 1971) by John Olson,
for Life magazine. And the room is/was a room in Frank & Gail's home.

The large artwork is 'Pretties for you' by Ed Beardsley. Frank had
bought the artwork earlier. And in 1969 he used the artwork as the
basis for the cover of the 1969 Alice Cooper album to which he gave
the same name. See also http://badcatrecords.com/BadCat/BANNEDalicecooper.htm
for the story of how the cover art was redacted to suit social
conservatives (who were affronted by a woman showing her pretties/
panties?).

I could find no credits for either of the two sofas! I regard both as
very fine.

Bil

Charles Ulrich

Jul 5, 2011, 1:34:27 PM7/5/11
In article
<8c159eb1-57a1-496e...@g3g2000prf.googlegroups.com>,
Bil <bi...@pd.jaring.my> wrote:

> The large artwork is 'Pretties for you' by Ed Beardsley. Frank had
> bought the artwork earlier. And in 1969 he used the artwork as the
> basis for the cover of the 1969 Alice Cooper album to which he gave
> the same name. See also http://badcatrecords.com/BadCat/BANNEDalicecooper.htm
> for the story of how the cover art was redacted to suit social
> conservatives (who were affronted by a woman showing her pretties/
> panties?).

Can anyone direct me to a photo of Beardsley's painting The Four
Apostles, which FZ bought and planned to use for a Mothers album cover?

And who was the Italian movie director whose funeral photos in Life
magazine inspired Pretties For You?

--Charles

Shiek Barrack Hussien

Jul 5, 2011, 3:54:09 PM7/5/11
On Jul 4, 5:32 pm, Bil <b...@pd.jaring.my> wrote:
> Anyone know the details of this photograph of Frank and his parents?
> seehttp://www.anglonautes.com/art_music_rock_frank_zappa_1940_1993/art_m...

> When was it taken? Where? Is it in Frank and Gail's home? What's the
> artwork on the wall?
>
> Cheers and thanks
>
> Bil

Can't be Frank's place. Too clean.

Bil

Jul 5, 2011, 10:17:54 PM7/5/11
On Jul 6, 3:54 am, Shiek Barrack Hussien wrote:

> On Jul 4, 5:32 pm, Bil wrote:
>
> > Anyone know the details of this photograph of Frank and his parents?
> > seehttp://www.anglonautes.com/art_music_rock_frank_zappa_1940_1993/art_m...
>
> > When was it taken? Where? Is it in Frank and Gail's home? What's the
> > artwork on the wall?

> Can't be Frank's place. Too clean.

I found one source (on line) who asserted that it was the main living
room (of perhaps several living rooms) in Frank & Gail's home. And I
figure the room had been 'dressed' for the occasion. Or perhaps Gail
kept FZ's mess out of the room?!

The real questions are: who made those sofas? did FZ have a love of
sofas other than red leather ones?

Bil

Bil

Jul 5, 2011, 10:14:29 PM7/5/11
On Jul 6, 1:34 am, Charles Ulrich wrote:
> Can anyone direct me to a photo of Beardsley's painting The Four
> Apostles, which FZ bought and planned to use for a Mothers album cover?
>
> And who was the Italian movie director whose funeral photos in Life
> magazine inspired Pretties For You?

I earlier did my own search for Beardsley's The Four Apostles. Found
nothing. And nothing on the movie director either. Drat!

Bil

Bil

Jul 5, 2011, 10:32:44 PM7/5/11
On Jul 6, 1:34 am, Charles Ulrich wrote:
> In article
> <8c159eb1-57a1-496e-a255-3cac7625f...@g3g2000prf.googlegroups.com>,

>  Bil wrote:
> > The large artwork is 'Pretties for you' by Ed Beardsley. Frank had
> > bought the artwork earlier. And in 1969 he used the artwork as the
> > basis for the cover of the 1969 Alice Cooper album to which he gave
> > the same name. See alsohttp://badcatrecords.com/BadCat/BANNEDalicecooper.htm

> > for the story of how the cover art was redacted to suit social
> > conservatives (who were affronted by a woman showing her pretties/
> > panties?).
>

> And who was the Italian movie director whose funeral photos in Life

> magazine inspired Pretties For You?

I looked at the 'Archive Gallery' for LIFE magazine. Found nothing.

In my misspent youth, I did spend time at the local art cinema house.
But I am no expert in Italian cinema.

If we assume that Ed Beardsley did his artwork in 1968-69, my two
candidates for the movie director are:

Gianni Puccini (died in December 1968) See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gianni_Puccini

and

Antonio Pietrangeli (died in July 1968). See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antonio_Pietrangeli

Bil

Bil

Jul 5, 2011, 10:45:05 PM7/5/11
On Jul 6, 10:32 am, Bil wrote:
> On Jul 6, 1:34 am, Charles Ulrich wrote:
> >  Bil  wrote:

> I looked at the 'Archive Gallery' for LIFE magazine. Found nothing.

Ed Beardsley's recollection in 2003 was that he read the funeral
article and saw the inspiring photo in LIFE 'zine.

Google hosts the LIFE photo archive. In Google Images, you can search
those images with a source:life appendage.

In 1969, the BIG funeral was Ike Eisenhower's. Lots of images of guys
in hats and dark suits, such as this one by Eisenstaedt:
http://images.google.com/hosted/life/l?imgurl=4d19d5c3bea574ea&q=funeral%201969%20source:life&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dfuneral%2B1969%2Bsource:life%26hl%3Den%26sa%3DG%26biw%3D1062%26bih%3D804%26tbm%3Disch

Still searching for either Puccini or Pietrangeli.

Bil