now on eBay, item 360290153404

eelco janzen

Aug 18, 2010, 5:29:36 AM8/18/10
Rare Rock 45rpm by The Knack
Frank Zappa on piano on Softly, Softly
------

"Softly, Softly"&"The Spell"

Capitol Records # P 5889 - Promo Copy

---------------

Zappa on piano, is this true ?

VVV
eelco

eelco janzen

Aug 18, 2010, 5:38:34 AM8/18/10

Okay,
I already found the answer of my own question...

from:
http://www.60sgaragebands.com/scenesthings/knack.html

<<Softly, Softly" is a slower tune, well arranged and downright pleasant
to listen to. Repeated listening really bring out the subtleties that
the song has. Would it jump out of your transistor radio back in '67?
Probably not. But if the world was truly a fair and just place, and a
Knack album had existed, you would have heard "Softly" maybe two or
three tracks into side one and thought that these guys could handle the
slow stuff as well without being too sappy or clumsy. (NOTE: Frank Zappa
played the piano on "Softly Softly". Dink Kaplan's older brother was
the lead guitarist for the Mothers of Invention and this association led
to Zappa's contribution).>>

and of course this a different Knack than the one with My Sharona

VVV
eelco

computeruser

Aug 18, 2010, 6:21:52 AM8/18/10
> eelco- Hide quoted text -

Who is Dink Kaplan's older brother?

Mostly FZ played lead until he hired stunt gutarist Vai and later
Kennelly.

Charles Ulrich

Aug 18, 2010, 12:06:46 PM8/18/10
In article <4c6baa1a$0$62640$dbd4...@news.wanadoo.nl>,
eelco janzen <jan...@dds.nl> wrote:

> On 08/18/2010 11:29 AM, eelco janzen quoted:

> from:
> http://www.60sgaragebands.com/scenesthings/knack.html
>
> <<Softly, Softly" is a slower tune, well arranged and downright pleasant
> to listen to. Repeated listening really bring out the subtleties that
> the song has. Would it jump out of your transistor radio back in '67?
> Probably not. But if the world was truly a fair and just place, and a
> Knack album had existed, you would have heard "Softly" maybe two or
> three tracks into side one and thought that these guys could handle the
> slow stuff as well without being too sappy or clumsy. (NOTE: Frank Zappa
> played the piano on "Softly Softly". Dink Kaplan's older brother was
> the lead guitarist for the Mothers of Invention and this association led
> to Zappa's contribution).>>

This claim is highly suspect. See
<http://www.zappateers.com/bb/viewtopic.php?t=13768>.

--Charles

eelco janzen

Aug 18, 2010, 1:00:04 PM8/18/10

Right,
I am always wondering how/where these stories start/come from....

VVV
eelco

Bill

Aug 18, 2010, 10:29:47 PM8/18/10
In article <4c6c1194$0$96264$dbd4...@news.wanadoo.nl>,
eelco janzen <jan...@dds.nl> wrote:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68rrLRtM6YQ

--
Bill

Strictly Commercial

Aug 19, 2010, 10:58:41 AM8/19/10
Charles Ulrich wrote:

> This claim is highly suspect. See
> <http://www.zappateers.com/bb/viewtopic.php?t=13768>.

Thanks for the link. However, according to that discussion, The Knack
was recording Softly, Softly in the same studio and at the same time
(March 1967) as Zappa was recording Lumpy Gravy .. . Can Zappateers be
trusted? Can I? Not sure I followed the discussion correctly.

Rolf

Charles Ulrich

Aug 19, 2010, 4:29:01 PM8/19/10
In article <BEbbo.98$u9.75@edtnps82>,
Strictly Commercial <maure...@telus.net> wrote:

> Charles Ulrich wrote:
>
> > This claim is highly suspect. See
> > <http://www.zappateers.com/bb/viewtopic.php?t=13768>.
>
> Thanks for the link. However, according to that discussion, The Knack
> was recording Softly, Softly in the same studio and at the same time
> (March 1967) as Zappa was recording Lumpy Gravy .. . Can Zappateers be
> trusted?

That's like asking if affz can be trusted. Do you give equal weight to
posts by Pat Buzby, TOG, and Pirate John?

>Can I? Not sure I followed the discussion correctly.

Well, I'd say the Capitol studio overlap gives the claim that FZ played
on Softly Softly a bit of plausibility.

But the only person named Kaplan who was ever in the Mothers wasn't a
guitarist and didn't join until 1970. So the claim that Dink Kaplan's
older brother was the lead guitarist in the Mothers at the time Softly
Softly was recorded reduces the believability of the claim about FZ
playing piano on it.

But who knows, maybe Dink Kaplan was Tommy Tedesco's half-brother.

--Charles

eelco janzen

Aug 19, 2010, 4:30:37 PM8/19/10

So, the only solution is to buy this record on eBay and scrutinize the
subtle touch of Frank on the piano..... (?)

VVV
eelco

computeruser

Aug 19, 2010, 5:31:35 PM8/19/10
On Aug 19, 4:30 pm, eelco janzen <jan...@dds.nl> wrote:
> On 08/19/2010 10:29 PM, Charles Ulrich wrote:
>

> > In article<BEbbo.98$u9.75@edtnps82>,
> >   Strictly Commercial<maurerr...@telus.net>  wrote:
> eelco- Hide quoted text -

Bill provided a link of the song on youTube
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68rrLRtM6YQ

Save your money and listen there. There is also a note by one of the
original band memebers in the comments, regarding Zappa's involvement.

Strictly Commercial

Aug 20, 2010, 2:31:32 AM8/20/10
Charles Ulrich wrote:

> That's like asking if affz can be trusted. Do you give equal weight to
> posts by Pat Buzby, TOG, and Pirate John?

They do weigh about the same, don't they?

I may have misunderstood. Is somebody claiming that The Knack was
recording down the hall from where FZ was laying down tracks for Lumpy
Gravy? Because that's implausible: Lumpy Gravy was recorded in 1967, The
Knack was around in some other, much lousier decade.

Milhouse G

Aug 20, 2010, 6:26:44 AM8/20/10

At this early hour, I'm not sure if this post is typical of your humour
or if you just didn't investigate the links provided earlier, but the
subject here is a different Knack of a different decade, not the one of
"My Sharona" fame.

--
Milhouse

Biffy the Elephant Shrew

Aug 20, 2010, 9:08:46 AM8/20/10
On Aug 20, 3:26 am, Milhouse G <milhouse_on_a_st...@derekmarvelli.org>
wrote:

> the subject here is a different Knack of a different decade, not the one of
> "My Sharona" fame.

Funny that both Knacks were signed by the same label, though.

I was ready to believe based on Michael Chain's story as recounted on
the Zappateers forum. But on listening to the record, it sounds too
much like someone who actually knows how to play the piano to be FZ.
On the other hand, it does have a bit of that Teen-Age Malt Shop feel,
so who knows?

Your pal,
Biffy the Elephant Shrew

Strictly Commercial

Aug 20, 2010, 11:40:12 AM8/20/10
Milhouse G wrote:

> At this early hour, I'm not sure if this post is typical of your humour
> or if you just didn't investigate the links provided earlier, but the
> subject here is a different Knack of a different decade, not the one of
> "My Sharona" fame.

Thank you. Like you say, I didn't investigate the links. I did
understand this started out as a discussion of whether Dink Kaplan or
his brother ever played lead for the Mothers, read that Dink played in
the Knack and that FZ may have played piano on one of their tunes, what
a great example of CC, somebody said .. . you know how these stories got
started.

Now that I have a better grasp of the situation, I can post on my blog
that Howard Kaylan was a member of The Knack before joining The Mothers,
and was discovered by Frank when they shared studio space while he was
recording Lumpy Gravy and Kaylan et al. were laying down tracks for My
Sharona. Better?

Rollo

David Z

Aug 20, 2010, 6:45:34 PM8/20/10
"Strictly Commercial" <maure...@telus.net> wrote in message

> Milhouse G wrote:
>
>> At this early hour, I'm not sure if this post is typical of your humour
>> or if you just didn't investigate the links provided earlier, but the
>> subject here is a different Knack of a different decade, not the one of
>> "My Sharona" fame.
>
> Thank you. Like you say, I didn't investigate the links. I did understand
> this started out as a discussion of whether Dink Kaplan or his brother
> ever played lead for the Mothers, read that Dink played in the Knack and
> that FZ may have played piano on one of their tunes, what a great example
> of CC, somebody said .. . you know how these stories got started.

Translation = You spoke from ignorance, once again. Nothing new.

> Now that I have a better grasp of the situation, I can post on my blog
> that Howard Kaylan was a member of The Knack before joining The Mothers,
> and was discovered by Frank when they shared studio space while he was
> recording Lumpy Gravy and Kaylan et al. were laying down tracks for My
> Sharona. Better?

Who cares? Anyone who would read your ignorant drivel wouldn't know the
truth from fiction, anyway.

Bill

Aug 21, 2010, 2:26:45 AM8/21/10
On Aug 19, 11:31 pm, Strictly Commercial <maurerr...@telus.net> wrote:
> Charles Ulrich wrote:
>
> > That's like asking if affz can be trusted. Do you give equal weight to
> > posts by Pat Buzby, TOG, and Pirate John?
>
> They do weigh about the same, don't they?

On what scale?

David Z

Aug 21, 2010, 10:49:10 AM8/21/10
"Bill" <fzmusici...@gmail.com> wrote in message