Most Inappropriate/Appropriate Title

Mower B. Yard

May 13, 2012, 10:09:05 PM5/13/12
I vote for I Promise Not To Come In Your Mouth.

And it's also a great track that is somewhat overlooked. By, um, me. But
no longer.

--
CRANK SOME FRANK!

ttuerff

May 16, 2012, 10:06:08 AM5/16/12
The actual name of that track, as I'm sure you know, is "Lather" with
the umlaut over the "A" but FZ was pissed off at Warner Brothers at
the time of ZINY so I think he did that on purpose. I have no way of
knowing but it makes sense.
TT

pbuzb...@yahoo.com

May 16, 2012, 11:22:56 AM5/16/12
FZ announced the title as "I Promise..." during the December 1976
shows. Presumably he changed it to "Lather" some time after he wrote
the ZINY liner notes.

Pat Buzby
Chicago, IL

Mower B. Yard

May 19, 2012, 1:09:03 AM5/19/12
On 5/16/12 10:22 AM, pbuzb...@yahoo.com wrote:
> On May 16, 9:06 am, ttuerff<ttue...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On May 13, 7:09 pm, "Mower B. Yard"<f...@nkzappa.net> wrote:
>>
>>> I vote for I Promise Not To Come In Your Mouth.
>>
>> The actual name of that track, as I'm sure you know, is "Lather" with
>> the umlaut over the "A" but FZ was pissed off at Warner
> Brothers at
>> the time of ZINY so I think he did that on purpose. I have no way of
>> knowing but it makes sense.
>
> FZ announced the title as "I Promise..." during the December 1976
> shows. Presumably he changed it to "Lather" some time after he wrote
> the ZINY liner notes.

The ZINY liner notes are what prompted my re-examination of the material
at hand. As it is one of the more lyrical and sensitive items in the
catalog, I personally feel the original name is more approximate.

Are there any interviews that discuss this particular name change? Why
would this tune become the title track for the Leather set, presumably
after the fact?

cheers,
BAM

pbuzb...@yahoo.com

May 19, 2012, 9:15:39 AM5/19/12
On May 19, 12:09 am, "Mower B. Yard" <f...@nkzappa.net> wrote:

> Are there any interviews that discuss this particular name change?

None that I know of. I remember at least one fall 77 show where FZ
took the trouble to mention that the song was titled "Lather" but was
previously titled "I Promise..."

Pat Buzby
Chicago, IL