Jimmy Carl Black [allaboutjazz.com] & [rollingstone.com]

ZapRatz

Nov 6, 2008, 2:19:57 AM11/6/08
Jimmy Carl Black Mothers of Invention Drummer Dead at 70

Obituary News Posted: 2008-11-05
http://www.allaboutjazz.com/php/news.php?id=25150

http://www.morethings.com/music/zappa/frank_zappa_images/jimmy-carl_black8827.jpg
Jimmy Carl Black

Jimmy Carl Black, the original drummer for Frank Zappa and the Mothers
of Invention, passed away this past weekend after a bout with lung
cancer. He was 70.

Black, the self-proclaimed Indian of the group, served with the
Mothers from their acclaimed 1966 debut Freak Out! until Zappas 1970
album Weasels Ripped My Flesh. Black is also known for donning a dress
on the cover of Were Only In It For the Money.

Blacks drumming also formed the heartbeat during the bands chaotic
live performances captured on albums like Uncle Meat and Burnt Weeny
Sandwich. Black also played a noticeable role in the Zappa film 200
Motels, where he sang Lonesome Cowboy Burt.

In his post-Mothers career, Black played in several bands, including a
stint with Captain Beefheart, Geronimo Black (which Black fronted) and
the Zappa tribute bands like the Grandmothers and the Muffin Men. A
benefit for Black will be held November 9th at the Bridgehouse II in
London.

http://www.united-mutations.com/m/carl_mothers01.jpg

Four more photos of JCB -
http://www.morethings.com/music/zappa/frank_zappa_images/picture_gallery006.html

----------------------------

Same article text at Rolling Stone
http://www.rollingstone.com/rockdaily/index.php/2008/11/04/mothers-of-invention-drummer-jimmy-carl-black-dead-at-70/
but includes different Mothers photo courtesy of "Michael Ochs
Archives/Getty Images"
http://i.realone.com/assets/rn/img/1/1/1/2/24042111-24042112-slarge.jpg

And the following links

Frank Zappa’s Raunchy Rock Opera Joe’s Garage Debuts in L.A. -
http://www.rollingstone.com/rockdaily/index.php/2008/09/29/frank-zappas-raunchy-rock-opera-joes-garage-debuts-in-los-angeles/

From Beck to Zappa: Two Generations of Rock Photos -
http://www.rollingstone.com/rockdaily/index.php/2008/10/30/from-beck-to-zappa-two-generations-of-rock-photos/

Live Action: David Fricke on “Zappa Plays Zappa” -
http://www.rollingstone.com/rockdaily/index.php/2006/06/13/live-action-david-fricke-on-zappa-plays-zappa/

The Immortals: Frank Zappa -
http://www.rollingstone.com/artists/frankzappa/articles/story/7248602/the_immortals__the_greatest_artists_of_all_time_71_frank_zappa

--
As of the day this message is being posted there are,
lacking an unexpected alternate outcome, 75 days

T. F. Eccles

Nov 6, 2008, 7:47:19 AM11/6/08

My local paper even did a piece on him: (no photo, DAMN!)

http://www.telegram.com/article/20081106/NEWS/811060472/-1/eworcester&template=eworcester

They must of just cop'ed parts from other sources, but they do
keep up on this kind of thing. JCB deserves all the press he can get.

When I met him in RI in 2000, I was amazed on how much JCB
(and Don n Bunk) realized the strength of the fan's love for them.

They stayed after the show, signing anything handed to them, talking
about anything the fan's had in mind, even buying us drinks!!!!!

It was a small bar/club, but was packed solid. When they did 'Road Ladies"
the sing-a-long from the crowd (who DID know the right words) was LOUD!

When I showed them the G/Mothers press kit, their eyes lit up. JCB said he
had not seen one of these in years, was amazed anyone still had one.

I offered it to him, but he declined: "No, YOU keep it and remember us".

Don was next to him, and his eyes kept darting to the pink record. He later
as he signed it, had a great smile on his face. Bunk too. It was almost like
THEY were going down memory lane with us that night. 'getting paid'.

I'm going to keep it. I was trying to sell it, but now, no. Should I run into
any other on the kit, maybe they will sign it too. To keep and remember them.

R.I.P JCB. Missed, but never forgotten.

JJTj

No Longer for Sale

Old press/Fan Club kit for The GrandMothers,
(Mothers of Invention original members) by
'Panda Records' SIGNED by Band in 2000 !

About as RARE as it gets, boyz n girlz..

http://www.usaelectron.com/GM

dhei...@roadrunner.com

Nov 6, 2008, 1:39:51 PM11/6/08
On Nov 6, 4:47 am, T. F. Eccles <t...@tfe.con> wrote:
> My local paper even did a piece on him:  (no photo, DAMN!)
>
> http://www.telegram.com/article/20081106/NEWS/811060472/-1/eworcester...

Great story. I had a similar encounter with JCB, DP, Ruth and Ian in
Los Angeles when the original Grandmothers were doing a show at the
Roxy. They'd come to see Air Pocket (Fowlers (all 5 of 'em), Chester,
Ike) play at a jazz club.

Being a profoundly affected Mothers/Zappa fan, I spoke with JCB and
most likely gushed the usual inane fanboy comments that he'd heard
forever.

I clearly remember his compassion for, and understanding of, how this
music affected people. I made some remark along the lines of how
special the whole phenomenon was and without missing a beat he said "
you're goddamn right!". He knew. It's a lucky lot that gets the
Mothers/Zappa. He was simply and genuinely appreciative of the respect
shown him.

I rarely blast emails about but I sure did email my crowd his obit and
photo when I found he had passed.

He was a super good guy. Of all the "celebs" I met, he was one of the
few that I'd invite over for a grill and a beer.

Thanks Jimmy.

T. F. Eccles

Nov 6, 2008, 7:34:13 PM11/6/08

>Great story. I had a similar encounter with JCB, DP, Ruth and Ian in
>Los Angeles when the original Grandmothers were doing a show at the
>Roxy. They'd come to see Air Pocket (Fowlers (all 5 of 'em), Chester,
>Ike) play at a jazz club.

In LA, you had better chances then us po'folks in Mass.

>Being a profoundly affected Mothers/Zappa fan, I spoke with JCB and
>most likely gushed the usual inane fanboy comments that he'd heard
>forever.

I understand. I've met more 'stars' then ya can shake a stick at.

The Stones, Who, ELP, Yes, Mott, 3 Beatles (Ringo is still alive)
and yes, FZ a few times, and many more not worth claiming.

It's hard not to 'drool' with respect for those you admired over
the years. If you are not a jerk, they understand and give some slack.

Except for Greg Lake. A pure #1 asshole back then. Owes me money.

We've talked since. He's no longer the asshole..stills owes me $$..

Anyway....

>I clearly remember his compassion for, and understanding of, how this
>music affected people. I made some remark along the lines of how
>special the whole phenomenon was and without missing a beat he said "
>you're goddamn right!". He knew. It's a lucky lot that gets the
>Mothers/Zappa. He was simply and genuinely appreciative of the respect
>shown him.

I noticed that too. Here in RI there were a bunch of drunk MOI fans, who
had nothing but respect for the band, old members and new, and the guys
saw it. I had to stand in line to get autographs from the NON MOI members,
because the FANS respected their efforts. They stood apart to let the old MOI
guys get the glory, but the fans never treated them as anything else but GMOI.

The fans treated them with respect. The bass player (Ener Bladezipper) asked
me why I wanted his autograph. I said it was because you are part of this too.

I swear, I saw tears in his eyes. Maybe the lights ( :_> )

I just broke out the G/Mothers kit. Got to preserve it.

Not only is the square pink record signed, but I forgot the tour kit also was
signed by the ENTIRE band. Bunk did his 'To me & me only" heart, but also
signed it "To Jay..all the best.." For a guy who was 13 in 1968, loving FZ n
the MOI, this means alot. More then any Beatle, or any other band U can name.

>He was a super good guy. Of all the "celebs" I met, he was one of the
>few that I'd invite over for a grill and a beer.

Ditto, if you want a fun time. JCB just had class, and knew how
to use it. Don n Bunk too. They don't grow musicians like that anymore.

>Thanks Jimmy.

Yup.

rwalker

Nov 6, 2008, 11:04:53 PM11/6/08
On Thu, 06 Nov 2008 01:19:57 -0600, ZapRatz
<zapratzR...@newsguy.com> wrote:

>Jimmy Carl Black Mothers of Invention Drummer Dead at 70
>
>Obituary News Posted: 2008-11-05
>http://www.allaboutjazz.com/php/news.php?id=25150
>
>http://www.morethings.com/music/zappa/frank_zappa_images/jimmy-carl_black8827.jpg
>Jimmy Carl Black

Hard to believe he was 70. In my mind, he'll always be the young guy
on the "We're Only in for the Money" cover, and constantly worried
about when he'd get paid in "200 Motels."

ZapRatz

Nov 7, 2008, 1:06:47 PM11/7/08
On Thu, 06 Nov 2008 23:04:53 -0500, rwalker <rwa...@despammed.com>
wrote:

>>Jimmy Carl Black Mothers of Invention Drummer Dead at 70

>Hard to believe he was 70. In my mind, he'll always be the young guy

>on the "We're Only in for the Money" cover, and constantly worried
>about when he'd get paid in "200 Motels."

Yeah, how time flies. FZ woulda been 70 soon, as well.

--
As of the day this message is being posted there are,

lacking an unexpected alternate outcome, 73 days