Billy Hulting, ZPZ percussionist & co-producer of WorldFest; also, "Beautifying Pacoima"

ZapRat

Apr 21, 2008, 2:31:40 AM4/21/08
The power of one: Earth Day 2008

Daily News Staff Writers
04/19/2008 11:55:01 PM PDT
http://www.dailynews.com/news/ci_8988480

A Granada Hills community garden. An NHL star's tiny red Prius. A
Sylmar solar effort. A Pacoima area cleanup. Grass-roots activists
across L.A. and the San Fernando Valley are doing what they can to
help reduce our footprint on this Earth and ease everything from
pollution and global warming to bulging landfills. Their stories
illustrate a simple truth: It all starts with a single step by each of
us to build a healthy, prosperous, sustainable environment for a new
generation and hope for the planet.

Guadalupe Hernandez: Beautifying Pacoima

By Susan Abram, Staff Writer

[snip]

'All the small decisions add up'

By Susan Abram, Staff Writer

VAN NUYS - Billy Hulting believes in the power of one.

If one person on each airplane flight rejects using a paper napkin,
that would add up to 40,000 napkins saved from clogging landfills.

If one person chooses to eat one vegan meal a week, that's tons of
water and energy saved.

And if each one of us chose not to litter on freeways, the Los Angeles
River would never have to be cleared of trash.

Hulting believes that when one person stands up to make a conscious
decision to help the environment, it adds up in positive ways. And
soon, others follow.

"The one thing people ask about environmentalism is how can one person
make a difference?" said Hulting, 44. "People believe their sphere of
influence is too small, but all the small decisions add up."

Hulting, a percussionist rehearsing for Dweezil Zappa's upcoming Zappa
Plays Zappa tour, also co-produces WorldFest, the largest Earth Day
event in Los Angeles, which is held each year at Woodley Park in
Encino.

It is billed as a "solar-powered celebration of music, the
environment, animals, health and social consciousness," and this year
it will be held May 10.

About 5,000 people are expected to attend, although Hulting predicts
the event will draw more people each year as interest in helping the
environment continues to grow.

Words such as organic, green and vegan used to be just catchphrases
associated with an "alternative lifestyle."

But in just a few years, attitudes toward a "green" lifestyle have
changed and don't seem as alternative anymore, Hulting said.

A vegan for 15 years, Hulting drives a Toyota Prius, has installed an
energy-saving water tank that heats water without gas, uses a compost
bin and keeps his reusable grocery tote bags handy.

"People say, `I can't do a lot because it's expensive to be
environmental,' but when there is more demand for these products, the
prices go down," Hulting said.

"You can make decisions using your pocketbook."

[snip]

--
http://www.extirpirate.com/ is an archive of the Internet abuse and
harassment transmitted via scores of troll-variant and forged

"Pyrate/Pirate"John Wesley Gilmer III resides in an old bus - license
plate number *C26 2RR* registered in Duval County, Florida - which he
parks on rented commercial driveway space somewhere in the Jacksonville,
Florida area. He has no known permanent residence. He must be in dire
need of payout from the good-as-gold lawsuit he initiated.

Gary

Apr 21, 2008, 1:13:06 PM4/21/08
On Apr 20, 11:31 pm, ZapRat <zapratRATZAP...@newsguy.com> wrote:
> Hulting, a percussionist rehearsing for Dweezil Zappa's upcoming Zappa
> Plays Zappa tour, also co-produces WorldFest, the largest Earth Day
> event in Los Angeles, which is held each year at Woodley Park in
> Encino.

I hear that is a really bitchen' part of Encino fer sher.