about rahsaan roland kirk and the mothers

<';.NINJA';>

Oct 30, 2005, 1:30:51 PM10/30/05
i will offer un restricted access to my zappa collection for anyone
unearthing these historic performances !

INCLUDING THE NEW PETITTE WAZOO SHOWS !

( EVEN IF YOU ARE A ZAPPA QUEER ! )

zappa may be the only musician that roland kirk didnt blow off the
fucking stage !

from: charles ulrich (ulr...@sfu.ca)
fz and kirk played together at both the boston globe jazz festival
(1/31/69) and the miami jazz festival (6/29/69). and it's not
far-fetched to imagine that they may have played together at some of
the other jazz festivals of 1969. unfortunately, no recordings are in
circulation.

from: tan mitsugu (stu...@anet.ne.jp)
this is a translation of the press conference that took place 26 years
ago (jan. 31st '76).

----------

article: "the mothers at the press conference"

magazine title: new music magazine - published date: april 1976

question: i heard that in '69 you sat in with roland kirk.... [note: a
unique black jazz player who plays three saxophones simultaneously.]

zappa: i met him at the backstage of boston jazz festival, and asked
him to play together if he was interested in our music. then, during
our set, led by his attendant, he came up to the stage. as you know,
he's blind. but his body understood all of our signals. at one
point, everybody in the band was supposed to get down on their back
and kick their feet in the air while they still keep playing. as soon
as we got on our back, he also got his back. when we got up, he also
got up. he grasped everything. he is an excellent musician. three
weeks later, we played together again in florida jazz festival.